First off, I would like to thank @Wolvvs for answering all the questions and all his answers are spot on too! Also super props because we have an essay due tomorrow and a mid sem on Friday and @Wolvvs is as active as ever haha!
I guess my main concerns are
-the quality of the UMSLE prep
-the status of IMG
-the program being newer
I apologize if this is too neurotic, too late to be thinking about, or the wrong place to ask, but if anyone can share their thoughts, that’d be nice. Got a few points below my ideal MCAT of 510ish, high GPA, I think my problem was my essays and maybe clinical hours for USMD. But also jumping through all the hoops again for next cycle seems like hell.
Realistically, this program seems good enough, but moving into a whole different time zone and away from my partner would be sad. Like, im not necessarily interested in super competitive specialty, but I’d like to keep my options open... Also that fear mongering commenter in this thread earlier shook me lol but a lesser concern. Someone confirmation bias my ass please
Ill also answer this though because I certainly think these are good concerns
Quality of USMLE Prep
I obviously haven't taken the Step 1 yet, but I dont think we will have too much trouble here as we get boards & beyond, a group offering help with USMLE prep starting year 1, and an actual class on USMLE prep in second year semester 2 (also Uworld). Also, as @Wolvvs said its going to be p/f by the time yall take it so you dont have to stress about it as much and instead can stress about step 2 xD.
Status of IMG
This is always a tough one. I think that most of the stigma with IMG applies primarily with carribeans and FMGs because they are the biggest groups. I think the problem with the carribeans is that even though they have rotations in the US most of the places they get rotations are either smaller hospitals and dont have that many residency positions, or that they get into hospitals that don't really care for them and are just collecting the money from the Caribbean schools. Now this is not always the case, but this is just what I have heard and what I know. I think certain IMG programs are different such as Sackler and UQ. They have been consistent with their results in my opinion. They do have their problems in some cases, but I think that in the case of UQ, we have a pretty good shot at primary care in Louisiana, if not anything else. I will refer back to this post:
Not sure about the connections in the U.S. you mention and ask about. Ochsner is well known in Louisiana and you will likely get residency interviews from the other programs in the state. Additionally Ochsner itself historically has shown preference to taking in house applicants for IM, anesthesia, psych, and peds (a good thing). Every year we match a significant number in house to those specialities. So you have to be ok with potentially spending more time in Louisiana because for many applicants staying in house at Ochsner is often their best option. A majority of the other places people match to are community residencies with a sprinkling of top tier university options for the best applicants.
Ultra competitive specialities will be competitive for anyone. Not sure if going to DO school is going to set you up any better for ENT, ortho, vascular surg, plastics, neurosurg. We have matched into those specialities but the success stories are excellent, disciplined, find a way, and work hard for it. We have all the subspeciality faculty at Ochsner to network with in all fields if you are pursuing that goal.
Newer school
Again, I have to defer to what @Wolvvs said here. It is a new school, but both ochsner and UQ have a pretty long history in supplying their respective parts of the program. I will also add that they do seem receptive to advice, I have heard that the Ochsner cohort was one of the main reasons for an intro week in our first semester, and they are continuously trying to improve their program.
Reapplying
This really comes down to you. I think that if you have a 508, a good gpa, and some good essays with some clinical hours, you have a decent chance at getting into a MD school depending on your state. If you feel more comfortable with that, then you should definitely do that especially with all the stressors you mentioned, However, if you do choose to go to this school, I think its a great one so far!