UQ-Ochsner 2022 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! :)

So we have 4 classes:
  • Clinical Science
    • This is the class that takes up 80+% of our time. It is systems based, so we started with infection and immunity, moved on to cardiovascular, and are currently in the pulmonary module and will finish off the semester with renal.
    • This is graded on the Australian scale of 1-7 where 4 is a pass. It's kind of weird, 6 and 7 both are equivalent to a 4.0 GPA and are often defined as A and A+. A passing score is typically around 50-55%, and 6 and 7 cutoffs are at 75% and 85% respectively.
    • There is one mid-semester exam worth 25% of the grade, one final worth 50%, and another multidisciplinary exam (visual stuff like histology, pathology, radiology) worth 25% also given in the finals period.
    • Lectures are optional and recorded, usually around 8-10 1 hour sessions per week.
    • CBL of 10 students per group is required and is 2x 2.5 hour sessions per week in the first year, 2x 2 hour sessions per week in second year
    • Tutorials and practicals are required and not recorded. These vary each week but usually take up 2-3 hours per week, and are generally lab reviews focused on pathology, histology, anatomy, or other labs specific to the given module.
  • Clinical Practice
    • This is where you learn interview skills and clinical exams, and follows along with the clinical science modules (e.g. you learn the CV exam and history as you go through the CV module in CS).
    • There are lectures, but this primarily takes the form of Clinical Coaching Sessions, which are 2 hour weekly sessions run by a physician with the same CBL group and you take histories/do physical exams. I really like these, but they're kind of the low point of my week since they're my latest class ending at 12:30 AM.
    • This is pass/fail, but you are evaluated through your performance in CCS and a variety of recorded history taking and exam sessions.
  • Health Society and Research
    • 1 recorded lecture per week, and 1 "required" 1-2 hour tutorial every two weeks.
    • Evaluation in first semester is via 4 recorded vlogs discussing the tutorials, 1 research paper, and 1 environmental scan (no idea what this entails, it's due at the end of the semester so haven't looked at it yet). I think the assessments change depending on the semester.
    • This is also graded on the Australian scale. It does take a bit more time and energy than I would like.
  • Ethics and Professional Practice
    • 1 recorded lecture per week.
    • The professor is such a wonderful person and I love attending her lectures, but I know a lot of people just watch them all quickly at the end of the semester. The class is pass/fail but there is a content-based final exam so you can't completely ignore this.
I provided an example of my schedule in a post in the other thread, see here: UQ-Ochsner 2022 But basically there's only like 10 hours of required stuff and 20 hours of total stuff in a given week, so you do have to be motivated to put in at least another 20 hours of self-study per week.

Hopefully none of this stuff is supposed to be secret :p I think they tend to change things up quite regularly which might be why they don't provide a lot of detail. So things might be different next year, but hopefully this gives a bit more insight into what the curriculum looks like. Happy to answer any other questions too.
Thank so much! This really helps. :) It looks like there's a lot of self-study so you have to be able to organize your time wisely. Does it ever happen where you have multiple exams in a row in one week? It doesn't sound like it but thought I'd ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank so much! This really helps. :) It looks like there's a lot of self-study so you have to be able to organize your time wisely. Does it ever happen where you have multiple exams in a row in one week? It doesn't sound like it but thought I'd ask.
No, for clinical science there's only one midterm and one final split into two parts. There's also a final for EPP. Otherwise there aren't any other exams.

Reactions: 1 users
No, for clinical science there's only one midterm and one final split into two parts. There's also a final for EPP. Otherwise there aren't any other exams.
Do you have any checkpoint quizzes or practice questions before your midterms and finals, or is it just self assessment up until those points? I'm guessing the latter, but figured I would ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any checkpoint quizzes or practice questions before your midterms and finals, or is it just self assessment up until those points? I'm guessing the latter, but figured I would ask!
The school offers "formative" quizzes each week, basically 10 sample questions that aren't required and don't contribute to your grade. There are also some of the previous years exams available so you can take those if you want, and some very industrious students from previous years have written their own practice exams which are actually pretty good.

• Wow
The school offers "formative" quizzes each week, basically 10 sample questions that aren't required and don't contribute to your grade. There are also some of the previous years exams available so you can take those if you want, and some very industrious students from previous years have written their own practice exams which are actually pretty good.
Okay, great to know that there are some resources available, and you're not completely SOL until midterms. Thanks so much!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how the UQ-O program will work with Australia’s closed borders? Are students allowed in or anyone know any plans they might have? Lol

Does anyone know how the UQ-O program will work with Australia’s closed borders? Are students allowed in or anyone know any plans they might have? Lol
Right now we are all online. We use zoom for everything, currently the plan is for us to be there by the start of next year. So hopefully, by the time you guys are ready to join you will be allowed to enter australia. If not, I'm not exactly sure how they'll handle it quite yet.

Edit: clarification all online = 100% online. There are students in australia which have in person though

Reactions: 2 users
Right now we are all online. We use zoom for everything, currently the plan is for us to be there by the start of next year. So hopefully, by the time you guys are ready to join you will be allowed to enter australia. If not, I'm not exactly sure how they'll handle it quite yet.

Edit: clarification all online = 100% online. There are students in australia which have in person though
How are they planning to let you in if the border stays closed for internationals? Exemptions for travel? I heard they're considering chartering a plane... are you all even in the same place to fly out? Aus effed the pooch on this....

How are they planning to let you in if the border stays closed for internationals? Exemptions for travel? I heard they're considering chartering a plane... are you all even in the same place to fly out? Aus effed the pooch on this....
Well when they announced this, the assumption was that Australia would be open by the end of the year due to vaccinations and such. However, I have been hearing that due to the delay in vaccine distribution, this may not be true. I'm unsure on how they plan to get us there as many of us are. They did indeed tell us about their plan to have a charter plane fly us over. We are not in the same place, so the most likely scenario, if that were to happen, would be they would have one plane for different regions e.g. everyone from the US and Canada would be expected to meet in like California or something. As of now, the govt has recommended we stop applying for exemptions as they are not planning on admitting any intl students at this moment. Im not sure if that will change in a couple of months. At this point, its all speculation tbh, so we will have to wait and see what transpires.

A few more questions, if you don’t mind!
-if the year isn’t in line with other med schools, do they participate in the match with everyone else?
-where is the diploma from? UQ or Ochsner Clinical School?
Thanks!

Ugh the potential of not being allowed in is the one thing that’s really holding me back from accepting the offer... that and the articles blanket stating that international students won’t be allowed in until 2022

A few more questions, if you don’t mind!
-if the year isn’t in line with other med schools, do they participate in the match with everyone else?
-where is the diploma from? UQ or Ochsner Clinical School?
Thanks!
If I recall correctly, it's something like we graduate in November get some time to ourselves until we match the following year.

Not sure about the degree. I imagine it says both but maybe @mcat_taker or @Wolvvs can answer these questions?

Ugh the potential of not being allowed in is the one thing that’s really holding me back from accepting the offer... that and the articles blanket stating that international students won’t be allowed in until 2022
I understand. It definitely is a tough decision. From what I know, australia tends to be a little more conservative with their time periods as compared to the US (although that might change now with the new presidency). It is quite possible though that they won't open up borders to intl students although it would be a stupid move on their part given how much money their intl students give them.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I recall correctly, it's something like we graduate in November get some time to ourselves until we match the following year.

Not sure about the degree. I imagine it says both but maybe @mcat_taker or @Wolvvs can answer these questions?
This is correct, there is a gap between graduation and the start of residency. 4th year at UQ-Ochsner is not as chill as it is at US medical schools from what I've heard so I think students tend to appreciate the break, but maybe mcat_taker could give a better answer since I haven't experienced that.

The Doctor of Medicine is issued by the University of Queensland.

I understand. It definitely is a tough decision. From what I know, australia tends to be a little more conservative with their time periods as compared to the US (although that might change now with the new presidency). It is quite possible though that they won't open up borders to intl students although it would be a stupid move on their part given how much money their intl students give them.
How are the online classes for you? I guess you do online proctored exams? Have you been in Australia at all (did you say you were a first year?)? I think it’s a funny idea to be a part of an Australian program and never be in Australia bc of covid restrictions.

• Haha

@ukelelefluke UQO follows the Australian calendar year January- November.

When you graduate has no bearing on the match which is run by the NRMP on a date held in March that alerts everyone who applied for the U.S. match from anywhere in the world where they got a position. So you have a couple months to chill out before the Match. There is usually a small ceremony type thing at Ochsner for match day in March that people can fly back for. A lot of people are still in nola for match day anyway not wanting to move twice. Finishing on the Australian calendar year also means you don't have to deal with being on rotations during the bulk of interview season.

The diploma is from the University of Queensland. You do get a separate nice looking certificate from Ochsner that is presented to you during your "graduation" ceremony at Ochsner in November. I put this in quotes because it is not an official graduation from UQ but because no one flies back to Australia in December for the full university graduation ceremony they do a separate ceremony for us and our friends and families early and present to us a certificate from Ochsner.

@Wolvvs 4th year at UQO is more structured in comparison to U.S. schools whom usually provide students with mostly elective time in 4th year. US schools also have students interviewing during 4th year too which makes sense for how it is organized. We still have defined required rotations to do in 4th year but no question it is still more chill than 3rd year for sure. The break between finishing and residency has been a nice perk of the program historically where people go travel for a few months or do whatever to recharge.

Reactions: 3 users
@ukelelefluke UQO follows the Australian calendar year January- November.

When you graduate has no bearing on the match which is run by the NRMP on a date held in March that alerts everyone who applied for the U.S. match from anywhere in the world where they got a position. So you have a couple months to chill out before the Match. There is usually a small ceremony type thing at Ochsner for match day in March that people can fly back for. A lot of people are still in nola for match day anyway not wanting to move twice. Finishing on the Australian calendar year also means you don't have to deal with being on rotations during the bulk of interview season.

The diploma is from the University of Queensland. You do get a separate nice looking certificate from Ochsner that is presented to you during your "graduation" ceremony at Ochsner in November. I put this in quotes because it is not an official graduation from UQ but because no one flies back to Australia in December for the full university graduation ceremony they do a separate ceremony for us and our friends and families early and present to us a certificate from Ochsner.

@Wolvvs 4th year at UQO is more structured in comparison to U.S. schools whom usually provide students with mostly elective time in 4th year. US schools also have students interviewing during 4th year too which makes sense for how it is organized. We still have defined required rotations to do in 4th year but no question it is still more chill than 3rd year for sure. The break between finishing and residency has been a nice perk of the program historically where people go travel for a few months or do whatever to recharge.
Thanks, this was actually really helpful for all of us!

How are the online classes for you? I guess you do online proctored exams? Have you been in Australia at all (did you say you were a first year?)? I think it’s a funny idea to be a part of an Australian program and never be in Australia bc of covid restrictions.
The lectures themselves are okay. I think they would be the same in person as online, i think certain things are lacking though. For me personally the classes are CBL (case based learning, where you apply your learning in lectures to cases as you figure it out as a team), Clinical practice, and anatomy lab.

Clinical practice feels much harder since we are expected to learn a lot of it ourselves. I've gotten kinda lucky living in california because nearly like 1/5 of the Ochsner cohort is in this state with most of them near the area I live, so I meet up with another person for ochsner for our formative clinical assessments. I'm actually meeting up with them today for our respiratory.

With CBL it's not too bad, it's just that I get so tired by the time we do it since it'll be in the evening for us.

Honestly I don't feel like anatomy lab teaches me anything. They give you this document to look over and then the lab is basically them testing you on your knowledge. So you're basically expected to just memorize it before then. This is something I'm working on changing for next semester with some people. Currently writing some thoughts and suggestions on all the classes.

Not everything is bad though like pathology will be the best class you take at uq imo. Suja is amazing and I absolutely love her! Also the micro professor does a good job of converting his content to online although they don't really teach micro or biochem that much in australian med schools. Lastly, i actually really love the way that they accommodated people from so many different time zones, that must've been a coordinating nightmare for them.

Everything else is really fine. They really do try to help when they can and there are so many times where they ask for suggestions on how to improve, so hopefully the things I am complaining about won't even be a problem for you when you get in.

Also yes, we had our first test yesterday though proctor u and I'm not going to sugarcoat it. It was bad. I think their server went down and they lost connection to our computers for a solid 15 minutes. Then they preceded to then ask some people to log back in. Some people lost some time on the test. One person lost a lot. I lost maybe 5 actual minutes then another 5 minutes just freaking out that I messed up. I will be writing about this soon too to the course coordinator.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know. I'm trying to keep it as real as possible, but all in all, the school is pretty good and as far as online learning goes, it's really not that bad. The worst part is just not being able to see your friends in person.

Edit: also yes the irony is very real for a lot of us and I personally know a couple of people that are actually planning to delay purely because they want to be in australia for as long as possible and don't mind taking a year off. Not gonna lie I've thought about it too

As a current year one, I also want too offer a word of caution on this program. The Australian boarder is closed with no signs of opening soon. Some say October but with the vaccine rate in Australia, I would guess this won't be until sometime in 2022. The support for international students is lacking from UQ and Ochsner offers no help because the first two years are left with the Australian counterpart. If you are applying, keep in mind that online school makes medical school much more difficult. For example, all-online learning lacks the friendships and study partners you'd have in person. It's also difficult to navigate online practical courses as the previous post mentions. The lack of hands on learning, especially in clinical practice, is very difficult yet the international students who are essentially learning entirely from video while the on-shore students practice on each other in an environment with a clinical supervisor.

UQ and Ochsner will tell you they offer support, mostly via student support services, but there is really nothing that can be done until the borders open. Take for example the ProctorU nightmare mentioned in the last post. Students voiced concerns, and I'm sure more are planning to do so. But, nothing will change because there is no alternative. We have to put up with this extra burden of online learning until the border opens, which is at a time unknown, likely 2022.

Yes, the prospect of moving to Australia is exciting, but until the border opens, you are making the experience much, much harder on yourself. I would suggest that you do not commit to this program until you know you can travel to Australia.

lol I wouldn't stress too much about clinical practice. In first year, it's really just memorizing the steps to perform an exam and the relevant findings. It's not like (in most cases) you're actually going to find any pathologies on other students. Also as I've mentioned previously, this program is ideal for self-motivated learners and I'm not sure that would change if we were in-person. I don't think the in-person practicals would be much more useful but attending them would be significantly more time consuming.

Overall, though, I get your points though. Making friends has been much harder, there's still a lot of uncertainty about the border, and ProctorU wasn't great. I do think the first and last points are relevant to our peers stuck in Zoom University in the US as well but the border concerns are unique. I think this is less of a concern for students starting 2022 but at this point we really don't know what's going to happen.

As a current year one, I also want too offer a word of caution on this program. The Australian boarder is closed with no signs of opening soon. Some say October but with the vaccine rate in Australia, I would guess this won't be until sometime in 2022. The support for international students is lacking from UQ and Ochsner offers no help because the first two years are left with the Australian counterpart. If you are applying, keep in mind that online school makes medical school much more difficult. For example, all-online learning lacks the friendships and study partners you'd have in person. It's also difficult to navigate online practical courses as the previous post mentions. The lack of hands on learning, especially in clinical practice, is very difficult yet the international students who are essentially learning entirely from video while the on-shore students practice on each other in an environment with a clinical supervisor.

UQ and Ochsner will tell you they offer support, mostly via student support services, but there is really nothing that can be done until the borders open. Take for example the ProctorU nightmare mentioned in the last post. Students voiced concerns, and I'm sure more are planning to do so. But, nothing will change because there is no alternative. We have to put up with this extra burden of online learning until the border opens, which is at a time unknown, likely 2022.

Yes, the prospect of moving to Australia is exciting, but until the border opens, you are making the experience much, much harder on yourself. I would suggest that you do not commit to this program until you know you can travel to Australia.
Two things appear to be constant:
1) Their thirst for International tuition payers.
2) Lack of concern for their international students' needs

Bonus third point:
3) Complete absolute uncertainty about the program's future vis-a-vis deferral or somehow teleporting to the damn prisoner island :)

Last edited:
If it’s any comfort, I did speak to an Ochsner person today (bc I don’t want to accept the offer if they don’t think we’ll get to go) and UQ has stated that they are working with the government to get students exemptions by summer or October at the latest

I wish I could be more helpful but ya’ll are in such a unique situation. Yes @Wolvvs is correct in that the first 2 years of med school are largely self learned anyway and certainly can be done w a majority online. It’s really just making sure you know step 1 material. But yes med school is still challenging and you lack that support from your peers when you don’t really know them and haven’t met them in person and don’t have those study groups or peer to peer hangouts to discuss material or socialize. Also living in Australia was one of the best parts of the program and you don’t have that w no idea of when the borders will open.

• Sad
If it’s any comfort, I did speak to an Ochsner person today (bc I don’t want to accept the offer if they don’t think we’ll get to go) and UQ has stated that they are working with the government to get students exemptions by summer or October at the latest
Emailed asking for a deferral today. The timeframe needed to deposit the money is so narrow that I'll probably lose my spot. Guess I get to roll the dice on one more cycle here in the US. Bummed because I was excited to head to the school but I do not want zoom university again after finishing my masters online and I am not willing to pay an OSHC for me +2 when it's not clear if I will ever enter the country. Best of luck to everyone, i'll update when i get a response.

• Sad
Emailed asking for a deferral today. The timeframe needed to deposit the money is so narrow that I'll probably lose my spot. Guess I get to roll the dice on one more cycle here in the US. Bummed because I was excited to head to the school but I do not want zoom university again after finishing my masters online and I am not willing to pay an OSHC for me +2 when it's not clear if I will ever enter the country. Best of luck to everyone, i'll update when i get a response.
That must be a difficult decision but you definitely have to make the choice that's best for you and your family.

FYI on OSHC--coverage is required for all four years in order to qualify for an Australian student visa, which is why they make you pay the full premium upfront. But you can get a refund for any time not spent in Australia, typically years 3 and 4 but for my class that will be year 1 as well. I know that doesn't really help with issues putting the money up now but just want everyone to be aware that you can apply for a refund for any time not spent in Australia. See here for more info if you're interested:

That must be a difficult decision but you definitely have to make the choice that's best for you and your family.

FYI on OSHC--coverage is required for all four years in order to qualify for an Australian student visa, which is why they make you pay the full premium upfront. But you can get a refund for any time not spent in Australia, typically years 3 and 4 but for my class that will be year 1 as well. I know that doesn't really help with issues putting the money up now but just want everyone to be aware that you can apply for a refund for any time not spent in Australia. See here for more info if you're interested:

You can get a refund on time spent outside of Australia > 30 day stretches. That was the rule, it may change depending on your OSHC company. In non-pandemic times, typically that would mean a refund for all of 3rd year & 4th year time outside of your return rotation.

Hi,
I just found out about this program and was wondering if this was one of the best foreign medicals schools to go to. Are this and Sackler in Israel nd RCSI in Ireland the top 3 schools?

I was unable to get into US MD/DO this cycle, so am looking at other options. My goal is to match into diag rads, and was wondering how hard it would be as an IMG?

Hi,
I just found out about this program and was wondering if this was one of the best foreign medicals schools to go to. Are this and Sackler in Israel nd RCSI in Ireland the top 3 schools?

I was unable to get into US MD/DO this cycle, so am looking at other options. My goal is to match into diag rads, and was wondering how hard it would be as an IMG?
I think Sackler and UQ-Ochsner tend to match a bit better than the RCSI but I don't know a lot about those two programs. Do Sackler and RCSI provide any US clinical experience?

Typically the stats needed for UQ-Ochsner are similar to those you would need for DO schools. Do you think it was your GPA and MCAT that held you back this cycle or other stuff?

Students have matched diagnostic radiology from UQ-Ochsner--there weren't any this year, but there were 3 last year so I think interest varies from year to year. I don't know if radiology programs in particular have any biases against IMGs, but you would be able to match from UQ-Ochsner if you put in the work and are able to score well enough on step 2.

How does UQ - Ochsner calculate GPA ? Does it just go off of whatever is on the transcript?

How does UQ - Ochsner calculate GPA ? Does it just go off of whatever is on the transcript?
They convert GPA to the Australian scale which is out of 7. Nobody knows exactly how they do it. But the GPA cutoff is approximately 2.7, and they do not consider postbac grades/anything not a part of a degree program. US grades tend to be inflated compared to Australian grades, so UQ-Ochsner is a bit more forgiving than US schools when it comes to GPA.

But they consider masters programs GPA separately right? I have ~3.75 masters, 520 mcat.

But they consider masters programs GPA separately right? I have ~3.75 masters, 520 mcat.
Yes, the GPA requirement applies to the most recently completed degree including masters. Assuming you have the prerequisite classes and don't bomb the MMI, you shouldn't have any trouble getting admitted.

Are the pre-reqs standard just like every other US med school or is there anything special for Oschner? And does nothing else matter than GPA/MCAT such as EC's, LORs, etc..?

Are the pre-reqs standard just like every other US med school or is there anything special for Oschner? And does nothing else matter than GPA/MCAT such as EC's, LORs, etc..?
Take a look at these two links:

Basically the two pre-requisite classes are Integrative Cell & Tissue Biology and Systems Physiology. I don't know exactly what that means as they're new this year, but others who are applying this year may be able to help out if you have any questions.

Admissions decisions are something like 25%/25%/50% GPA/MCAT/interview. They don't care about anything else, which is a major reason I decided to go with this school rather than trying to reapply :p

Any advice for the MMI interview? Is it mostly ethics questions with 8 minutes to respond?

Any advice for the MMI interview? Is it mostly ethics questions with 8 minutes to respond?
You get 2 min to read it and then 7 to respond I think. I tried to stay a little in the gray area for my answers (because in the real world, it always depends on the situation). I honestly thought I did terrible but I got in about 2 and a half weeks after the interview, which was fantastic given the 4 months I had to wait after one of my MD interviews.
Radiology is fairly competitive as a specialty. My mom is one and her hospital’s residency program will basically throw out IMG applications because they get enough good US applicants to fill. That’s not to say you can’t match radiology as a UQ grad, it’s just probably going to be harder.

I think Sackler and UQ-Ochsner tend to match a bit better than the RCSI but I don't know a lot about those two programs. Do Sackler and RCSI provide any US clinical experience?

Typically the stats needed for UQ-Ochsner are similar to those you would need for DO schools. Do you think it was your GPA and MCAT that held you back this cycle or other stuff?

Students have matched diagnostic radiology from UQ-Ochsner--there weren't any this year, but there were 3 last year so I think interest varies from year to year. I don't know if radiology programs in particular have any biases against IMGs, but you would be able to match from UQ-Ochsner if you put in the work and are able to score well enough on step 2.
There was 1 match this year to Arizona. To add to this Ochsner Radiology residency has been friendly towards our grads in the past and have matched our grads regularly. Generally rads is a bit self selective in that most people aren't that interested in it so it makes it difficult to gauge how competitive it is. The people I knew who were interested in it all matched.

Since starting in 2022 Jan at UQ is the same as starting at US DO 2022 fall (timeline wise - they both start residency at same time) , do you recommend reapplying to DO instead of going to Ochsner?

Since starting in 2022 Jan at UQ is the same as starting at US DO 2022 fall (timeline wise - they both start residency at same time) , do you recommend reapplying to DO instead of going to Ochsner?
Not really sure who you're asking so I'll throw in my opinion. I don't think it hurts to reapply and see if you get any interviews before school starts. Personally, under normal circumstances I would only take a couple of DO schools over uq Ochsner (e.g. pcom, nyitcom, tcom, msucom, pacific), but i think that's highly variable. With everything being online and with no end in sight for that, you might want to take that into consideration as well.

Here's the point i should probably also mention that you don't get blacklisted from uq if you reapply again later as far as I know. I had a friend who applied and got accepted the first time but couldn't join due to personal circumstances and applied again the second year and got in. Of course that's just a +1 statistic and he did ask before he decided to reapply.

So if the school is online, will we be able to spend the entire first year from our home in America?? I am waitlisted at LECOM and PCOM for reference, but I'm guessing both options would be better than UQ if I get off...

So if the school is online, will we be able to spend the entire first year from our home in America??
That's what's happening for most of us first years right now since we can't get in. I think it's unlikely that you'd be unable to get in for too long in 2022 though but who knows...

Also, derm was another specialty that I was considering. Anyone from UQ match into derm in the US, or is it pretty much impossible?

Do you know if more people applied for derm and weren't able to match ? or Did only 1 person apply and he matched?

Just got an A at LECOM, so I'm guessing thats better than UQ-Ochsner at this point. Thanks for the help though!