URGENT! Please Give Advice (Letters of Rec)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAmBlessed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker here. Hello everyone! I believe this community is great because of the passion many students express regarding medicine.

Enough with the pleasantries. I am a an applicant for this current cycle with OK statistics (GPA:3.8, MCAT:31). I need help regarding my letters of recommendation, particularly my committee,composite letter. During my interviews, a lot of interviewers were asking me questions that I KNOW for a fact were not in my AMCAS application. In fact, I've never even done them before! Some questions were asked about myself shadowing in a specific hospital, when I have never done so or claimed in my amcas application. There were inconsistencies in my application that I strongly suspected came from my committee letter (How do I know this? Well, it just kept happening so often I know it to be the culprit). They asked how did retaking the mcat go, BUT I ONLY TOOK IT ONCE! Who knows what happened, maybe my pre-health advisor got me mixed up with another student?

My question to you is this. I have nothing to hide from academic transcript or any violations in the Honor Code. I am applying again next cycle (keeping my fingers crossed), so I have to ask: If I elect not to send my committee letter, will this raise red flags to my application? I'm not even sure how to explain this! I know for a fact they will ask me in secondaries or interview why I didn't have a committee letter when my school offers one!

Members don't see this ad.

go to your school and ask them to review your committee letter specifically for the errors that you suspect...

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Go to the committee, tell them exactly what you've told us, and ask them to review the letter to make sure there wasn't a mix-up.

I've heard on here that if you have a committee and you don't have a letter from them, it raises eyebrows regardless of the lack of honor violations, etc.

Good luck!

I don't believe there was complete mixup. I just had one inconsistency. I did write however that "I wanted to shadow at this particular hospital," signifying that they implied its what I pursued for my gap year.