urgggh...Writers Block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh, any inspiration? I have three papers due on Friday and two lab notebooks and an exam and finals are Monday and Tuesday. I'm totally swamped and I have to get this paper done on the Bodies Exhibit and I have an extreme case of writer's block! Just needed to vent!

Members don't see this ad.

americanangel said:
Ugh, any inspiration? I have three papers due on Friday and two lab notebooks and an exam and finals are Monday and Tuesday. I'm totally swamped and I have to get this paper done on the Bodies Exhibit and I have an extreme case of writer's block! Just needed to vent!

have a beer. continue writing. Have another. write some more. Edit in the morning. Will lower your inhibitions, maybe help the writers block. But don't drink to much.

All problems in life can be solved by alcohol.

bobito said:
All problems in life can be solved by alcohol.

I can see it now:

Patient: Hey Doc, you got anything for my arthritis?
bobito: Yeah, bout a half o' pint of Jack Daniels ought to do it
Patient: Are you sure?!? That doesn't sound like it would do much for my joints.
bobito: You're right, better make it 3 shots of Everclear

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
as a poli sci major i've written my fair share of papers. now i dont really know what your paper is on but i basically get all my ideas by reading through articles and transcribing all the quotes i could see myself using on the computer. then i formulate the argument based on what i like from what i've read. then by the time i've done this, i pop out the paper in ~ 2 hours. good luck.
-mota

DaMota said:
as a poli sci major i've written my fair share of papers. now i dont really know what your paper is on but i basically get all my ideas by reading through articles and transcribing all the quotes i could see myself using on the computer. then i formulate the argument based on what i like from what i've read. then by the time i've done this, i pop out the paper in ~ 2 hours. good luck.
-mota

Funny, I do the same thing.
I'm not a poli sci major....but I did stay in a Holiday Inn express last night.

The only thing you forgot was the booze....Hey doc what is the anesthesia going to be like for my surgery????
1/2 liter tequila....given intranvenously.

When I have writers block, I just start typing with no intent on actually writing the paper. I generally start with typing this - "blah blah blah, I can't think about anything to write about the intersection of morality, philosophy, and psychology. Hmm.. a bunch of famous people would have ideas though.. Kant would say..."

anyways, I continue like that until I have about 1/2 a page and then usually a thesis will poke its head out of the crap. Once the page has text on it, you aren't so intimidated by that blank page. Just make sure not to turn in a paper that starts out with "blah blah blah." (I actually made this mistake once by printing the wrong version of a paper.. oops!)