URM School List Suggestions + Gap Year Advice, if at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sansfrique

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think with your stats, research accomplishments, and URM status you'll have a shot at nabbing a couple interviews, but nothing is guaranteed for these top 10 schools. As for broader admission to a medical school, I think you're good to go with the condition that you obtain more clinical experience before application time.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all I just need some advice on what schools to aim for, and what would be a good idea for a gap year? My original plan was to apply this upcoming cycle, but I think I should apply in May of 2022 (let me know your thoughts on this). Here's some of my info:

Undergrad: T10 University
Major: Neuroscience
Year: Junior
cGPA: 3.89 ; sGPA = 3.93
MCAT: 515 (131/126/129/129) ; (out of curiosity, is this too low for T10s? Obv I'm not set on ONLY attending these schools but I'm just wondering)
Race/Ethnicity: Black
Sex: Male

ECs: Shadowing = ~50-70 hrs as of rn
Research= ~500-600 hrs ongoing, poster presentation awardee (ABRCMS), author on 1-2 pubs by graduation (1 in the works rn)
Clinical volunteering: ~50 hours as a caregiver, COVID messed this timeline up but will begin in-person volunteering hopefully at the end of February. Unsure if this is enough time before applying in May (this is where the gap year question comes into play)
Mentoring underserved high school student ~200-300 hrs
Founder of cultural org
VP of group for minority students
P.R Chair of Black student group
Public Relations worker for the school
School-wide named scholarship honor (2 yrs)
Summer grant awardee for (virtual... thanks COVID) work in fundraising supplies for healthcare facilities/schools in African countries
Volunteering (virtual) w/ immigrant's office of the mayor, involved in translation work (~50-100 hrs)
Multicultural Leadership Certification
Start list with WashU and radiate outwards. Any school is yours. Be sure to include the HBCs (including UCLA/Drew) and your state schools(s).

Members don't see this ad :)
Start list with WashU and radiate outwards. Any school is yours. Be sure to include the HBCs (including UCLA/Drew) and your state schools(s).
wouldn't the relative low amount of clinical experience hurt this person? asking because someone similar is in the same position and was asking me for advice

Thanks for the advice, what is your take on my considering a gap year because of concern over lack of clinical hours? Do you think I should or should I go for it this cycle?

Thanks for the advice, what is your take on my considering a gap year because of concern over lack of clinical hours? Do you think I should or should I go for it this cycle?
I suggest getting in as many hours now up to applying and keeping at it. Then send updates when you have accrued even more hours (at least, to those schools that accept updates).

wouldn't the relative low amount of clinical experience hurt this person? asking because someone similar is in the same position and was asking me for advice
As of right now, yes. BUT, between now and Aug 1, at 4 hrs of volunteering a week, that's another 80+ hours, would give OP some 130 hrs, and I think given the need for URM doctors, they'd be cut some slack. OP does not need to apply 6/6/21.