US Med Student considering moving to the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pchelala09

Reaction score
I'm a M3 considering moving to the UK post grad and I'm wondering about what my options are, what exams I would need to take and if I'd need to take any additional courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a M3 considering moving to the UK post grad and I'm wondering about what my options are, what exams I would need to take and if I'd need to take any additional courses.

How are you planning on paying off your debts on a British salary?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have no doubt that you could eventually qualify as a physician in Britain. The NHS faces a terrible physician shortage.

However, practicing medicine in the U.K. is not terribly smart. The pay and the taxes on that pay are miserable. This is the reason that Britain has a physician shortage. If Jeremy Corbyn and his band of Labor idiots get control of parliament it will be even worse. Furthermore, the practice of medicine in Britain is not like it is here. The facilities are often miserable.

I'm a bit of an Anglophile and always enjoy going there but practicing medicine in Britain with a US MD is a fool's errand.

Reactions: 2 users
Lmao you’re better off practicing in the US and flying over to GB during your vacation time

Reactions: 1 user
UK grad looking to move over to the US here.

I dont really know what experience you have working in the UK but Ill let you know mine

Im in my second working year post graduation at a famous london hospital
First things first. Training to get to a consultant position (equivalent of attending) is at least 9 years from graduation, and many people take longer because they need to do a PhD to get a job, and even then there arent very many consultant positions, people can end up working without a consultant grade job for 2-3 years until one pops up.

Training is average, and is actually universally hated in surgical jobs. Minimal operating time, no formal training ect.

Pay is pretty miserable. I get paid about 40k a year, The pay for a starting consultant is about 75k and goes up to about 100k with 10+ years experience. Add in the extortionate living cost (a 1 bed apartment in any liveable city is going to be 200K+, in london they easily run at 3-400K)
I worked out I could own a house in the UK quicker working in the US than working in the UK

Facilities are terrible. The hospital I work at is falling apart, wards are closed regularly because of leaks, currently the ITU is half closed because the AC has been broken for 2 weeks, this is the second time this has happened in a year. Its not uncommon to see trash overflowing into the main hospital hallways (I have taken pictures as proof)
I spend my night shifts sleeping in the office (the 10x10 ft room with a computer and chairs) when I can because there is nowhere else to go.

There are plenty of other things to complain about that keep popping into my head, like the fact that junior doctors regularly have to perform phlebotomy because somehow we cant train or hire enough phlebotomists or nurses to do it

The only good thing really is the hours. I get a week off for every weekend I work, and my average week is 48 hours. Of which a decent portion of that is sitting in the office supervising the juniors

If that all sounds good to you then the GMC website is where you need to go to get registered here.
Or you could just work part time and visit without all the hassle

Last edited:
UK grad looking to move over to the US here.

I dont really know what experience you have working in the UK but Ill let you know mine

Im in my second working year post graduation at a famous london hospital
First things first. Training to get to a consultant position (equivalent of attending) is at least 9 years from graduation, and many people take longer because they need to do a PhD to get a job, and even then there arent very many consultant positions, people can end up working without a consultant grade job for 2-3 years until one pops up.

Training is average, and is actually universally hated in surgical jobs. Minimal operating time, no formal training ect.

Pay is pretty miserable. I get paid about 40k a year, The pay for a starting consultant is about 75k and goes up to about 100k with 10+ years experience. Add in the extortionate living cost (a 1 bed apartment in any liveable city is going to be 200K+, in london they easily run at 3-400K)
I worked out I could own a house in the UK quicker working in the US than working in the UK

Facilities are terrible. The hospital I work at is falling apart, wards are closed regularly because of leaks, currently the ITU is half closed because the AC has been broken for 2 weeks, this is the second time this has happened in a year. Its not uncommon to see trash overflowing into the main hospital hallways (I have taken pictures as proof)
I spend my night shifts sleeping in the office (the 10x10 ft room with a computer and chairs) when I can because there is nowhere else to go.

There are plenty of other things to complain about that keep popping into my head, like the fact that junior doctors regularly have to perform phlebotomy because somehow we cant train or hire enough phlebotomists or nurses to do it

The only good thing really is the hours. I get a week off for every weekend I work, and my average week is 48 hours. Of which a decent portion of that is sitting in the office supervising the juniors

If that all sounds good to you then the GMC website is where you need to go to get registered here.
Or you could just work part time and visit without all the hassle

So I'm curious... Do you believe that the NHS is a fundamentally good system that is just strapped for cash?
That's the argument that I often here, but my concern is that if the US adopts a similar system it will eventually become "strapped for cash" when a political regime change happens, and things could deteriorate similarly.

So I'm curious... Do you believe that the NHS is a fundamentally good system that is just strapped for cash?
That's the argument that I often here, but my concern is that if the US adopts a similar system it will eventually become "strapped for cash" when a political regime change happens, and things could deteriorate similarly.

Its underfunded yes but also a systemically dysfunctional organization. I think single-payer tends toward this kind of dysfunction. Other european countries that use an insurance model tend to do better

The best example is for cancer survival rates. The UK is one of the worst in europe, and its because of how the system is structured more than anything else

Last edited: