US Med Student: Should I apply for match or delay graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboi41992

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,

I need some urgent and honest guidance. I am a US medical student who is a rising third year now preparing for step 1 Aug 2018. Unfortunately, I have decided to delay my step until August as I have missed my school deadline to take the exam by june. As a result, this means that I will start my 3rd year clincal rotations late.

My school doesn't allow me to take step 2 until I complete all third year rotations. This means I will not be done with my rotations until Sept. 21. 2019... As a result, I will only be able to apply to residency programs with only my step 1 score, which will put at a disadvantage because most program require a step 1, step 2 ck, cs scores

So here is my questions, is it worth for me to apply with only my step 1 scores and then to later take my step 2 like in October/November or should I delay my graduation to apply in the next match cycle?

Also is it really that bad to apply to residency programs if I will not be taking my step 2 yet due to my current circumstances?

Thank for all those who responded
 
Status
Not open for further replies.