US medical students please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdmontonOilers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am studying medicine in Ireland and hope to write the USMLEs and do a residency in the US. My medical course is lectures-based. Most students over here use each lecture as a template, go to the recommended textbook, and then make notes from portions of the textbook that are relevant to the lecture. Afterwards, we then add info from the lecture not found in the textbook to our set of notes. Basically, we create our own set of notes from the lecture and the textbook.

Lately I’ve become really curious as to how you guys study in the US during your courses. Do you guys get….
1) Lectures and just study the lectures
2) Lectures and supplement with the textbook like us
3) Lectures but don’t bother using them of even attending them and just read the textbooks (seems like a lot – don’t know if this is possible unless using review book or small textbook – could you specify if you are reading review books or actual textbooks – for example, I would consider Guyton a textbook and Costanzo a review book for physiology)
4) Coursepackages (ie. booklets containing notes made by your professors) that you just study and don’t bother at all with textbooks
5) Or does it depend on the course and professor and your study method varies

If you guys could let me know how the material is presented to you guys and how you study that would be awesome. Lately Ive been second guessing the way Im studying because Im thinking maybe I should be studying more like a US student if I am to do well on the USMLEs. If this makes any sense?

Finally, I was hoping you guys could tell me what textbooks you use for the following courses (if you guys use them in your study)….
1) Neuroanatomy
2) Biochemistry
3) Behavioral Sciences
4) Pathology
5) Pharmacology
6) Cell biology and Histology
7) Microbiology and Immunology

Thanks guys. I would really appreciate any help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I use lecture notes and lecture transcriptions plus review guides to study. However, my course exams are not as clinically based as the USMLE is so ironically, I suspect I will do better on that than my course exam.

Texts:
Neuroanatomy-- Blumenfeld (Clinical Cases in Neuroanatomy) and Nolan (intro to Neurological Exam), BRS Neuro, Roadmap
Anatomy- clinical anatomy (moore), mini-moore, atlases (rohen, moses) and BRS Anatomy, USMLE Roadmap
Embryology- moore and persaud, BRS
Biochem, cell bio and genetics- Marks as text, Lippincott review guide
physio- BRS and Guyton Hall as text
histology- Ross or Wheaton texts
Path- Robbins and
Pharm- Lippincott for review
Behavioral- straight up course packet but I also picked up BRS
Physical Diagnosis- Mosby

I also like the pretest series, A&L questions for anatomy and physio.

Good luck

EdmontonOilers said:
Hey guys,

I am studying medicine in Ireland and hope to write the USMLEs and do a residency in the US....

...Finally, I was hoping you guys could tell me what textbooks you use for the following courses (if you guys use them in your study)….
1) Neuroanatomy
2) Biochemistry
3) Behavioral Sciences
4) Pathology
5) Pharmacology
6) Cell biology and Histology
7) Microbiology and Immunology

Thanks guys. I would really appreciate any help!!!!

you might want to check out the dedicated USMLE forum on this website: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=137 .

if you don't get freaked out by all the stressed people there, you'll find some great information about books, study techniques, time frames in which people prepared for the test, test conditions, test results, etc etc.

check out info from years past too. a lot of it is still relevent and helped me immensely when i took the exam (sidenote: to "write" an exam/"paper" is soooo very european/UK-derived ! heheh. )

good luck!

(sidenote: to "write" an exam/"paper" is soooo very european/UK-derived ! heheh. )

good luck![/QUOTE]

We, Canadians, say 'write' an exam. EdmontonOilers is Canadian and so I'm not surprised he/she said that. :D

BTW, the Europeans/UK say 'sit' an exam, which sounds a bit odd, if you're not used to the terminology ;)