US News Rankings

Started by PacMan02
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I don't know the entire list but I think if you are really anxious to see them you can either purchase the paper version (~$10) or the online version (~$15). The site says that the online version has more extensive info than the paper due to space limitations in the magazine. I think I'm going to make a trip to Borders this weekend so I'll probably take a look, and possibly buy it then.
 
Rank/School Average assessment
score (5.0 = highest)
1. Cornell University (NY) 4.5
2. Colorado State University 4.3
University of California--Davis 4.3
4. University of Pennsylvania 4.1
5. North Carolina State University 3.9
Ohio State University 3.9
Texas A&M University--College Station 3.9
University of Wisconsin--Madison 3.9
9. Michigan State University 3.8
10. University of Minnesota--Twin Cities 3.7
11. University of Florida 3.6
12. University of Georgia 3.5
13. Tufts University (MA) 3.4
14. Auburn University--Main Campus (AL) 3.0
Purdue University--West Lafayette (IN) 3.0
University of Tennessee--Knoxville 3.0
Washington State University 3.0
18. Kansas State University 2.9
University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign 2.9
University of Missouri--Columbia 2.9
Virginia Tech/University of Maryland 2.9
22. Louisiana State University--Baton Rouge 2.8
23. Oklahoma State University 2.5
24. Mississippi State University 2.1
25. Oregon State University 1.8
26. Tuskegee University (AL) 1.7
27. Iowa State University 0.0
Western University of the Health Sciences (CA) 0.0

I went to Borders and the book itself only lists the top 10. The website doesn't even tell you the methodology, like with the med schools 👎. I assume Iowa and Western got zeroes because they're not accredited or something.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for posting those. We have quite the tie for 5th.
 
It's my understanding that these types of rankings mean nothing when it comes to med/vet/dental school. Law is another story. It depends on what you make of it and your area of interest. I don't put much into it
 
Yes, once again, the rankings are total crap. But we know this already! 😛
 
thanks for saving me a trip to the bookstore to be disappointed cyrille! I agree, total crap...but I still like to know! 🙄
 
I agree that it doesn't mean that much in terms of where I'm going to apply, but it is still good to see what the deans think are the better schools (I think they do polling of the deans + other factors like research money, etc., right?). Thanks for posting here.
 
Thanks for posting those Cyrille! I agree that they kind of mean nothing when they don't give any methodology for these scores. I guess if you want a general explanation you can look at: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/faq_meth_brief.php

As said many many times before, vet school is what you make of it. The way in which the colleges are ranked may have nothing to do with the preparedness/ experience of the students.
 
do they really ask the students how they feel about the schools in order to 'rank' them as such? i've been a purdue grad student for three years, and i've never been asked squat by u.s. news.
 
From my understanding, the vet school scores haven't been updated since 2000 or something- are these actually from new data?

People at U of MN CVM told us that vet schools have hesitated participating because, among other reasons, schools are getting more specialized. How do you compare a school with a good equine program to one with a good exotics program to one with good research opportunities? He suggested looking at individual schools to pick which is the best fit for you, not chosing your school based on a rank in US News.
 
When NewsWeek comes out with its rankings for the top 100 high schools, the rankings are done by the # of total AP/IB exams taken, divided by the number of seniors that year. NOTHING on how may pass the exams. Those rankings are worthless, but you'll see districts jump through hoops just to look good on paper.

I know nothing about how they formulate their rankings for vet schools, but I'm just aware that other ranking systems (at least HS level) are a bunch of crap.
 
From my understanding, the vet school scores haven't been updated since 2000 or something- are these actually from new data?

People at U of MN CVM told us that vet schools have hesitated participating because, among other reasons, schools are getting more specialized. How do you compare a school with a good equine program to one with a good exotics program to one with good research opportunities? He suggested looking at individual schools to pick which is the best fit for you, not chosing your school based on a rank in US News.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too. It becomes apples and oranges. I'm happy to get in anywhere 😳
 
sure, it feels good to have validation of your wonderfulness by US News Rankings but we all know its based on individual performance. that being said, its hard/stressful enough to get accepted into a DVM program to be worrying about stats.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It all seems pretty unscientific, more of an opinion poll/popularity contest. Of course, who am I to talk, I've been polling vets to see where I should go.

Also, vet schools are scored under "health" rather than "medicine". Heh.🙄

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/about/08hea_meth_brief.php

Health Methodology
The health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a 5-point scale: outstanding (5 points); strong (4); good (3); adequate (2); or marginal (1), based on their assessment of the curriculum, faculty, and graduates. They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Scores for each school were determined by computing a trimmed mean (eliminating the two highest and lowest responses) of the ratings of all respondents who rated that school; scores were then sorted in descending order. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear here.
In the fall of 2006, surveys were conducted for 2007 rankings of schools of public health accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (response rate: 78 percent) . . . ; and veterinary schools accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (80 percent).
 
I assume Iowa and Western got zeroes because they're not accredited or something.

Iowa is fully accredited, unless something has changed recently. I bet it's something like they didn't get enough data, if any, from those 2 schools.