US News Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of the schools that I applied to went down 8 spots and one of the schools went up 6 six spots since the 2008 rankings. I can't imagine that things have changed that much at the individual schools.

While the rankings are probably a decent indicator of the overall reputation of a school, you probably could not make precise comparisons. For example, it would probably be accurate to say a school in the top ten is better than one ranked 25th, but I wouldn't feel so confident saying a school ranked #18 is better than one ranked #20. These rankings are somewhat useful, but definitely subjective. If your top choice school is ranked 26 and you got into it and a school ranked a few spots higher, I'd go with your top choice school anyway.

This is how the schools were ranked:

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear in the rankings."

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...12/03/12/methodology-graduate-health-rankings

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow Mercer went down from #30 to #42....Maybe I really should have waited an extra year and went to my state school UNC instead. :eek: Sucks that UNC didn't take the Jan PCAT score. :(

Mine went up! Is UCSF ever going to be not #1 ?!!

My alma mater's on the first page, although I won't say which one it is.

Anyone else notice that D'Youville, the school most commonly named on here as a diploma mill, wasn't ranked?

Anyone else notice that D'Youville, the school most commonly named on here as a diploma mill, wasn't ranked?

D youville won an award at APhA. One of their students ran for a national position, too.

all the diploma mills aren't ranked! :eek:

all the diploma mills aren't ranked! :eek:

Why am I not surprised? Even though the rankings are peer-based, they have at the very least some level of accuracy. I'm glad my school is still on the first page and rank hasn't changed. :)

woot! My alma mater has been a top 10 for god knows how long now. No doubt the reputation helped many classmates with their job hunting, but that thought wasn't very comforting when we were studying our asses off.

Members don't see this ad :)
C'mon folks- read the fine print...
Schools that haven't graduated a class yet aren't ranked.

I'd be more concerned about schools that aren't ranked that have been open for decades...it doesn't look good for them.

so you are betting your rankings based on administrators at the colleges of pharmacy that sent in their "opinion" of all other schools?

just because some administrator thinks a school is good =/= school is good

C'mon folks- read the fine print...
Schools that haven't graduated a class yet aren't ranked.

Not true at all! Texas A&M Pharmacy was ranked in the 70's while they were still in candidacy status (i.e. have not graduated a class yet) back in 2008. Today in 2012, they have graduated a few classes and are now ranked in the 40's.

USC is now a top 10 school. Wonder if I get any refunds on my loans for that? :p

We were #1 for years...having invented Pharm.D degree after all...then we were #5 during my school years. By the time my class gratuated we dropped out of top 10. My class sucked I guess.

But this ranking stuff is meaningless. Nothing to thump our chest about.

yeah...I'm happy to see that Purdue is #7...but is it really going to help me find a job when I graduate?

Not true at all! Texas A&M Pharmacy was ranked in the 70's while they were still in candidacy status (i.e. have not graduated a class yet) back in 2008. Today in 2012, they have graduated a few classes and are now ranked in the 40's.

Oh but it is true. At least for the current rankings, which is what we're discussing:

Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked.

Reading is good for you. ;)

yeah...I'm happy to see that Purdue is #7...but is it really going to help me find a job when I graduate?

It's not the actual ranking so much as the school's reputation and existing pharmacist network. Do you really think that an employer (many probably with Purdue alumni in leadership positions) will give a graduate from D'youville the same kind of consideration as one from Purdue?

SWOSU isnt ranked and it's not a diploma mill. Just ask the president of NCPA.

LECOM isn't on there, and it's been around for a while. Maybe some schools just don't want to be ranked.

Oh but it is true. At least for the current rankings, which is what we're discussing:

Reading is good for you. ;)

For the current rankings yes you are correct. In terms of the last ranking, it is not true.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that now they are only considering fully-accredited programs. You could have left it at that instead of trying to bash someone. That behavior isn't what I would expect of someone who's been here so long and is now a pharmacist to act.

LECOM isn't on there, and it's been around for a while. Maybe some schools just don't want to be ranked.
Yeah, there are a few schools on here that aren't ranked but are fully accredited.

Yeah, there are a few schools on here that aren't ranked but are fully accredited.

They are ranked, it's "rank not published".

"Rank Not Published means that U.S. News did calculate a numerical ranking for that school/program, but decided for editorial reasons that since the school/program ranked below the U.S. News cutoff that U.S. News would not publish the ranking for that school/program on usnews.com."

Which makes me wonder about Feik (UIW). They opened the same year as TAMHSC, but they're ranked at the bottom with TSU. Does anyone have know what the deans are asked about the other schools?

They are ranked, it's "rank not published".

"Rank Not Published means that U.S. News did calculate a numerical ranking for that school/program, but decided for editorial reasons that since the school/program ranked below the U.S. News cutoff that U.S. News would not publish the ranking for that school/program on usnews.com."

What the hell does that even mean?

Based exclusively off of interviewing at these schools and seeing what each offered academically, I see no difference between #5 and #17. I chose #5 for in state tuition, nothing more.

My pharmacy school shares the "80th" rank. So far 9 out of 10 students secured a residency, many with their first choice. I am very interested in the final count. Many got in state residencies (in a VERY pharmacist/pharmacy program-saturated state) and others placed in Chicago, Tennessee, Oregon, and Georgetown. These rankings... who cares?

Based exclusively off of interviewing at these schools and seeing what each offered academically, I see no difference between #5 and #17. I chose #5 for in state tuition, nothing more.

read my post above. these rankings are based off surveys that were completed by administrators are pharmacy schools. they have absolutely no significant weight or means of measuring the schools.

read my post above. these rankings are based off surveys that were completed by administrators are pharmacy schools. they have absolutely no significant weight or means of measuring the schools.

With the job market being so bad and YOU know it coming from a school with a good reputation will help. If 100000000000000000 people applied for 10 spots...why choose someone from a diplomia mill if you have UCSF and UNC students applying too?

The same topic is on the pre-pharmacy forum so this the opinion i offered on that thread:

I would think that it depends more on the individual than the school. If you go to a low-ranked school, yet are motivated, get good grades, and network well, then you will most likely have an advantage over someone who attended a better-ranked school and didn't put forth as much effort.

A school with a better reputation might be more helpful with networking and rotations, but it still comes down to the individual student.

The same topic is on the pre-pharmacy forum so this the opinion i offered on that thread:

I would think that it depends more on the individual than the school. If you go to a low-ranked school, yet are motivated, get good grades, and network well, then you will most likely have an advantage over someone who attended a better-ranked school and didn't put forth as much effort.

A school with a better reputation might be more helpful with networking and rotations, but it still comes down to the individual student.

That's a true statement... for comparison of 2 different students.

However, the logic doesn't really apply to any individual ... unless we are going to assume the same student would become unmotivated if he/she chooses goes to a highly ranked school, but yet become more motivated if went to a lower ranked school.

Well i suppose it would be better to apply this to a student that is selecting a pharmacy school on the basis of ranking. If you are a motivated and hard-working, then you will excel no matter what school you attend.

How important is the school/education in terms of future employment. I see some say its up to the individual (which is very likely true) but also the school must have subtle influences. I've heard pharmacists make blanket statements such as "I won't hire anyone from ______ school."

I am late in the application process and have yet to go on an interview. I've received interviews from 2 top 20 schools, a low ranked school (70s) and been rejected from a couple unranked schools already. Too be honest, I was simply going to choose the school I feel most comfortable with.....but am I underestimating the importance of school ranking?

I did, and I have a decent grasp on what goes into forming these rankings. That doesn't disqualify me from offering my opinion. :cool:

I'm technically at an unranked school, but I matched on Wednesday.

tumblr_ll9n6z0rZX1qgz15c.jpg

I'm technically at an unranked school, but I matched on Wednesday.

tumblr_ll9n6z0rZX1qgz15c.jpg

Congrats! where did you match at? What was your GPA?

My GPA P1 and P2 year was great...but P3 year? NOT good at all...not sure if I have a chance anymore. I am looking into nuclear pharmacy cuz it doesn't require any residencies! haha

Your school may be new but not a mill.

haha, why thank you Z, that means a lot coming from you.

so can i join your secret club now :luck:

SHC1984 said:
Congrats! where did you match at? What was your GPA?

lol...check your facebook feed, and check the stats thread!

owlegrad said:
Awesome, congratulations!

Though of course this must be a lie.

I'm not lying! Dang, I didn't mean to make this thread all about me me me.

The school was so bad that we took pity on them and withheld the score to protect the psyche of the faulty, staff, and students

Well I go to an unranked school and our residency success rate for applying students is 100%. Haters gonna hate I guess.

1 of 1 = 100%.

I'm not hating, when US News says directly that they ranked them and choose not to publish the scores it's not a ringing endorsement of a school.

Last edited:
Does anyone have know what the deans are asked about the other schools?
I'm not hating, when US News says directly that they ranked them and choose not to publish the scores it's not a ringing endorsement of a school.
The obvious bias, of course, is that no dean of an "old" school would be particularly pleased with a new school opening up. Since the data is based on dean's opinions, it's not going to stack up well for the new ones.

1 of 1 = 100%.

Job placement statistics say otherwise.

The obvious bias, of course, is that no dean of an "old" school would be particularly pleased with a new school opening up. Since the data is based on dean's opinions, it's not going to stack up well for the new ones.

What I don't understand is....a lot of people are going to be pissed that I ask this but I am going to anyways b/c I don't care....

What I don't get is why don't people just go to the very old established good schools? I just do NOT see the desire to take out 250K for a newly built school when I can take out much less for a top ranked school. I only went to the school I went to b/c it was ranked #30 when I got accepted and my living and food is free AND I got a scholarship from the school. Or else I would go to UNC (my state school) but I miss the deadline b/c I was still in dental school at the time! :laugh:

The point is why not try to get into a good school?

If you can't get into a good school then why not find another career? There are a million other careers out there that pay out much more with less schooling. (I went into pharmacy b/c my parents wanted me to try it...I would have otherwise been a drug rep)

SO what I don't get is why on earth would anyone find taking out 250K+ for a newly built school as a smart thing to do? :confused::confused::confused::confused: I can buy a beach out with that money! :laugh:

If for whatever reason you can't get into a very good school that's publically funded then find another career that pays more money with less school!