US News Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TOP!

What I don't understand is....a lot of people are going to be pissed that I ask this but I am going to anyways b/c I don't care....
You're one of the reasons I still log in every day. :love: :smuggrin:

What I don't get is why don't people just go to the very old established good schools? I just do NOT see the desire to take out 250K for a newly built school when I can take out much less for a top ranked school.
My new school is pretty darn cheap when it comes to tuition and fees, and we got ranked prior to accreditation, and have moved up nicely since getting our accreditation. Bonus: Not sure of final numbers, but we either matched 14/16 or 12/14 resident applicants to a residency this year. What's new isn't always bad. As Z mentioned, a new school isn't automatically a diploma mill.

I only went to the school I went to b/c it was ranked #30 when I got accepted and my living and food is free AND I got a scholarship from the school. Or else I would go to UNC (my state school) but I miss the deadline b/c I was still in dental school at the time! :laugh:

The point is why not try to get into a good school?

If you can't get into a good school then why not find another career? There are a million other careers out there that pay out much more with less schooling. (I went into pharmacy b/c my parents wanted me to try it...I would have otherwise been a drug rep)
You're giving advice on picking schools, yet you only chose this profession (after attending a year of dental school) because your parents picked it? :confused:

I genuinely hadn't seen that on here before.

SO what I don't get is why on earth would anyone find taking out 250K+ for a newly built school as a smart thing to do? :confused::confused::confused::confused: I can buy a beach out with that money! :laugh:

If for whatever reason you can't get into a very good school that's publically funded then find another career that pays more money with less school!
I need to start advertising truck driving school again. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

TOP!

You're one of the reasons I still log in every day. :love: :smuggrin:

You're giving advice on picking schools, yet you only chose this profession (after attending a year of dental school) because your parents picked it? :confused:

I need to start advertising truck driving school again. :laugh:

Awww.....I love seeing you on here too. :love:

Yeah, I almost became a drug rep, but my parents felt that I must be a doctor. I told them HELL NO to medical school and I try dental school and HATED IT...so pharmacy is the ONLY thing I can tolerate. Doesn't mean I am bad at it though. :laugh:

It's good that your school tuition is cheap. I am not trying to put down any schools or anyone. But if I see a price tag and it's going to require me to take out a loan MUCH BIGGER than 100K I would run. There is nothing I like enough for me to take out that much loan unless we are talking beach house in Florida! :laugh: I am just wondering WHY would anyone see 250K LOANS and be okay with it! You know what I mean?

The older I get the more obvious it becomes that making money has nothing to do with a college degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I don't get is why don't people just go to the very old established good schools? I just do NOT see the desire to take out 250K for a newly built school when I can take out much less for a top ranked school.

gawwwsh, why doesn't everyone go to harvard then? why spend the money on an inferior school...all of them! :smuggrin:

Are you being serious or just joking? Why do people go to lower ranked new pharmacy schools instead of an established cheaper school? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they couldn't get into the better school. Take for example, any of the new schools, you don't think all of them maybe except a couple that live nearby applied to the better school. Let's take a poll at a new school like CNCP and ask which of them applied to all the other schools in CA and got rejected and it was either CNCP or bust or maybe out of state. Beggars can't be choosers, I'd gladly go to any pharm school if I couldn't get in anywhere else.

I am just wondering WHY would anyone see 250K LOANS and be okay with it!

Because there are people who genuinely want to be a pharmacist and money shouldn't the thing that stops them. It's not our fault that tuition costs as much as it does, and it shouldn't just be for people who can afford it without loans.

Plus, not all people taking out $200K+ for pharmacy school are going to diploma mills. For some of us, it might be that a private or out of state school was our best alternative. The application process being as competitive as it is, it's not necessarily in our hands to get what we want. My first choice was in state, and would have been much cheaper, but I didn't get in. So I went to my next choice out of state. The amount of loans I'll end up taking out does concern me, but I decided that at the end of the day I'd rather be happy here with more debt than unhappy for four years at a school I picked just to save money.

This is the thread that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friends. Some posters started it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting it forever just because....

Plus, not all people taking out $200K+ for pharmacy school are going to diploma mills. For some of us, it might be that a private or out of state school was our best alternative. The application process being as competitive as it is, it's not necessarily in our hands to get what we want. My first choice was in state, and would have been much cheaper, but I didn't get in. So I went to my next choice out of state. The amount of loans I'll end up taking out does concern me, but I decided that at the end of the day I'd rather be happy here with more debt than unhappy for four years at a school I picked just to save money.

Also, some people live in states without pharmacy schools (or didn't have pharmacy schools at time of application), so they have to go out of state if they want to get a PharmD.

Because Harvard sucks. Why go there when you can just go to Cambridge? :p
Harvard is worse because they have less foreign students and faculty? How is it a bad thing when you can understand your professor's version of English?

I don't. What do you mean? Oh, and I wear a 10 1/2, but they're already broken in. Try a mile and let me know what you think.

PharmD + six figure loans = You don't have much money. You may not find a job.

Do a different career. Make more money. That's all I am saying. :laugh:

Why do the ranks jump? for example: from 7 to 10 while skipping 8 and 9??? WTH

EDIT: NVM, I just figure it out, although this just gives me another reason to say why rankings are bullsh*ts...

Last edited:
Why do the ranks jump? for example: from 7 to 10 while skipping 8 and 9??? WTH

EDIT: NVM, I just figure it out, although this just gives me another reason to say why rankings are bullsh*ts...

yep...at least the undergrad rankings look at numbers and ratios, pharm rankings are pure opinion.

Yes, but I like what I do, I have a job, and my happiness isn't tied to money. The 240K I owe will eventally be paid off, and likely within 10 years despite the amount.

I went to my state public school, on scholarship, and I still graduated with 100k+. Some of us don't have parents' help. For others, the private school is the best option. There are plenty of good private schools and lots of students going to an out of state public school. I just think students should be aware of the risks before taking out so many loans, and many are.

Wow my school sucks.