US News Top 20 Public Schools Released

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread is going too fast to mobile, I will respond to this more in the morning

But maybe I should stray away from absolutes, but the reputation of a school is significantly dependent on it's research which a product of it's grad schools

Princeton isa power house in the life sciences, I don't think it lacks in the grad school department

Members don't see this ad.

My school failed to make the list:(

My school failed to make the list:(
There are ~3000 4-year schools in the US (could be off.) Your school doesn't have to be on the list to be a decent school. Just a little perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@steelersfan1243 Yes because when you say Princeton I think of their PhD programs in the life sciences.

Last edited:
Californuh!!

2000px-Flag_of_California.svg.png

Reactions: 1 users
There's a reason why we call it US Snooze and Worst Report.
But our Chancellor says there is a direct correlation between ranking and penis size! Seriously though, he sent an email with this list to all alum haha

But our Chancellor says there is a direct correlation between ranking and penis size! Seriously though, he sent an email with this list to all alum haha
My school told us that if we alums could donate more money, our ranking would go up.

Literally, that was the incentive offered.

My school told us that if we alums could donate more money, our ranking would go up.

Literally, that was the incentive offered.
:wow:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's got nothing to do with school quality or prestige, just gets old to have people follow up "oh you're in college? where at?" with "how you like Seattle?" every time. It's not like I think clarifying wins me any prestige brownie points, nobody ever heard of it. Most people more impressed by U of W !

Penn is right next to MIT! And come on the likes of Caltech, Duke, U Chicago, Penn, Columbia have world class reputations very worthy of holy****yousmart

Well yeah thats because your school has no real prestige. It's ranked highly recently because the administration decided that rankings are important and decided to focus all of their attention and money on things that improve their ranking. Basically new money

If ADCOMs don't care about the level of prestige of undergrad institutions as much as many want them even when discussing the absolute top schools like Princeton, you really expect them to view a transcript from a school like UNC much differently from one like the University of Pittsburgh.

Thanks to all those Ties, I DO belong to a top 20, yay

But did it make this list: Princeton Review Top 20 Party Schools?

1. Illinois
  2. Iowa
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Bucknell
  5. Syracuse
  6. UC-Santa Barbara
  7. West Virginia
  8. Georgia
  9. Tulane
  10. Colgate
  11. Lehigh
  12. Ole Miss
  13. Penn State
  14. Florida
  15. Florida State
  16. Ohio
  17. DePauw
  18. Vermont
  19. Miami (Ohio)
  20. College of Charleston

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/university-of-illinois-top-party-school_55bf88b9e4b0d4f33a0355f2

Do you by chance remember who it was that did the rankings last year where Penn was the no 1 ranked party school in the US. Now THOSE were great

Last I heard, alumni giving was an important component of these ranks.

Yup. Back when I was in college, my school got called out in a major news publication for manipulating its giving rates. Basically a 5 dollar donation to the senior class gift would be counted as five $1 gifts over 5 years (not an uncommon practice). Our USNews ranking fell about 20-30 pts when they ended the practice. (our president also had to pay back a sizable bonus he received for getting our giving rate over 50%)

But did it make this list: Princeton Review Top 20 Party Schools?

1. Illinois
  2. Iowa
  3. Wisconsin
  4. Bucknell
  5. Syracuse
  6. UC-Santa Barbara
  7. West Virginia
  8. Georgia
  9. Tulane
  10. Colgate
  11. Lehigh
  12. Ole Miss
  13. Penn State
  14. Florida
  15. Florida State
  16. Ohio
  17. DePauw
  18. Vermont
  19. Miami (Ohio)
  20. College of Charleston

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/university-of-illinois-top-party-school_55bf88b9e4b0d4f33a0355f2
The thing about Princeton Review rankings it they're done mostly based on internet surveys. They're about as valid as the "Deadspin 25"

Yup. Back when I was in college, my school got called out in a major news publication for manipulating its giving rates. Basically a 5 dollar donation to the senior class gift would be counted as five $1 gifts over 5 years (not an uncommon practice). Our USNews ranking fell about 20-30 pts when they ended the practice. (our president also had to pay back a sizable bonus he received for getting our giving rate over 50%)

The thing about Princeton Review rankings it they're done mostly based on internet surveys. They're about as valid as the "Deadspin 25"
Still pales in comparison to straight up lying about admitted student data (looking at you Claremont McKenna SAT scandal). Rankings bring out the worst in administrations it seems. Wonder if that touches Med schools and hospitals etc too

5 way tie for 20?

My bad, in fairness it is University of state

I mean, I've heard of it ofc. I knew it had a good med and b school
That's why many in the general public hear UPenn and don't even think it's an Ivy. It just doesn't sound like one, and doesn't carry the cachet of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, etc.

That's why many in the general public hear UPenn and don't even think it's an Ivy. It just doesn't sound like one, and doesn't carry the cachet of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, etc.

Clearly they're not respected as an Ivy because they don't have ivy leaves on their football helmets like Brown.
Brown.gif

because before I saw that, I assumed that "Brown University" was the online training program for UPS employees.

Reactions: 1 users
They claim to make on-site visits every three years to these schools, but I won't argue that the rankings are any more valid when that element is taken into account.

They use various metrics to determine stuff like "more to do on campus" and "hardest to get into" but for stuff like party school and happiest students... all online surveys. I went to a tiny school, and a few friends of ours used to be able to get us ranked in random stuff by filling out their survey every year.

True. Which is why Wharton grads will rarely identify themselves with "Penn"

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I'm impressed by upenn

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I'm impressed by upenn
Agreed. I love Penn, but an unfortunately large amount of people confuse it with Penn State, or assume that it's a public behemoth.

Most of America is not well versed in academic rankings/reputations.

Agreed. I love Penn, but an unfortunately large amount of people confuse it with Penn State, or assume that it's a public behemoth.

Most of America is not well versed in academic rankings/reputations.
1. I go to ucla/u of m/nyu
"oh nice!"
2. I go to uchicago/rice/wash u
"oh okay"

man why do people care about this crap
Surriously. Especially since it is so subjective. How can you say one school is better than the other without actually attending both? Is this based on research funding or other qualitative measures?

I had a doctor respond "is that an online school?"
Feels bad man
Your 3.9 or whatever from Wash U will certainly impress the people who'll read your med school app so I don't get why you're troubled by the lack of name recognition.

Your 3.9 or whatever from Wash U will certainly impress the people who'll read your med school app so I don't get why you're troubled by the lack of name recognition.
Ah yes because you totally wouldn't be bothered if the doc you were shadowing thought you were a "premed" just taking classes online right?

Ah yes because you totally wouldn't be bothered if the doc you were shadowing thought you were a "premed" just taking classes online right?
I would simply inform them that it's a nationally ranked institution and get on with my day. And keep in mind that if you end up at Wash U med, this problem won't go away.

Last edited:
That's surprising, I would think washu is at least known in the medical field

I would simply inform them that it's a nationally ranked institution and get on with my day. And keep in mind that if you end up at Wash U med, you'll this problem won't go away.
Exactly what I did! Still sucks to have to have a "no I promise I'm a real student and know what I'm doing!" moment

Well, washu med is much better known in the medical world than washu undergrad is in the general population, but yeah just being "in med school" is going to be the same to most people anyways save for a few names like Harvard/Stanford/Hopkins

That's surprising, I would think washu is at least known in the medical field
Apparently not back in CA!

ahh forget you were from ca~ it's pretty well known in midwest

I hadn't ever heard of it before college apps, and then when my counselor mentioned it my initial reaction was "St Louis? ew no way"
can't beat the wonderful experience of our bitter cold winters!