US student applying to UK Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fly1346

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a US born citizen, who just finished his undergraduate career, I want to apply to medical schools in the UK, and then come back to the states for my residency+USMLE.

Which medical schools in the UK would be a good choice for me, I also want to complete my degree in 4 yrs..

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a US born citizen, who just finished his undergraduate career, I want to apply to medical schools in the UK, and then come back to the states for my residency+USMLE.

Which medical schools in the UK would be a good choice for me, I also want to complete my degree in 4 yrs..

Thanks

Why would you do that? Our schools are at least as hard to get into and probably just as expensive for an internationals and you can only apply to 4 places. Most of our schools are more than 4 years and not all of those that are 4 years take internationals anyway. Going abroad will look odd, you will be trained for a very different system and adjusting will be hard. It's more understandable when high school kids come here to save a few years but in your case what is the point?

Thanks

Hi!

Well I don't know which uni would be best for you since you didn't give much info about in which country in the UK you wanted to apply, which part of the said country and which city. Also they'll ask for a personal statement, work experience, letter of recommendation, tests (and those are important, it's either the BMAT, UKCAT, GAMSAT), you'll go through an interview etc.. Some uni emphasize more on the tests etc. So you really have to choose well your uni, esp since you can only apply to 4 universities. I don't think any GEP programme (ie graduate entry programme in 4 years) in medicine take international student. Sorry. As for the cost, well the thing is UK will raise their fees in 2012 and I don't really know how much it costs for an intl student but it's definitely going to be expensive, that being said I believe it'll be less expensive than any top university in the USA. Anyway, you'll get the actual number on the university website.
I think you should first of all decide where you want to go university in the UK, look what they ask for when you are an intl student (grades, if they take or not international student and how long is the degree - most of the time it's 5 years).

I hope this link will give you a starting point http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/ Feel free to ask me anything :)