Usaa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chriseli

Mom. Wife. Neo-to-be.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently HPSP, will be active duty in 1.5 month's time how should I sign up for USAA...as a reservist inactive or active duty...or some other way I haven't mentioned?!?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently HPSP, will be active duty in 1.5 month's time how should I sign up for USAA...as a reservist inactive or active duty...or some other way I haven't mentioned?!?

You should be able to sign up now. The benefits of USAA are not dependant on whether you are IRR, Reserve, Retired, family, or active, so you should sign up now.

USAA is awesome.

without question... YES!!!

get their insurance, get the 25K loan @ 2%, get it all

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think some of the benefits do depend on your status. I've been a USAA member as a dependent, cadet, reserve officer, and now active duty officer, and they told me that my car insurance rates would be lower on active duty. Also, I think that some of their loan rates go down on active duty.

Technically, you should be joining as a member of the ready reserve. But I don't know how closely USAA checks up on that sort of thing. In case you don't join as active duty, make sure you update your status and rank when you are.

USAA is invaluable!!!
Car loan rates
Auto insurance
Home loan rates
checking/saving/investment accounts!

USAA rocks. They have a great variety of services and understand the peculiar nuances that come with being in the military, deploying, moving, etc. Highly recommended.

When I spoke with someone at USAA today they said that officers in IRR were not eligible to join until after having been on active duty (and then their returning to IRR didnt matter). Is this correct?

When I spoke with someone at USAA today they said that officers in IRR were not eligible to join until after having been on active duty (and then their returning to IRR didnt matter). Is this correct?

If you are a current HPSP member then you can join. They have this scholarship down as being eligible on some kind of list they keep of eligible programs/scholarshups. You may just have to ask them to look it up.

no. this is false. you can sign up as soon as you sign.

i read in another thread that USAA has some savings accounts with yields up to 5.22%. but i don't see that on their website. the website says this:

---------------------------------------------
USAA Performance First® Savings
Daily Balance Annual Percentage Yield (APY)
Up to $9,999 2.19%
$10,000 - $24,999 2.23%
$25,000 - $49,999 2.39%
$50,000 and above 2.49%

Annual Percentage Yield (APY) applies for deposits received by 05/08/2008.
Minimum initial deposit is $10,000.
---------------------------------------------------------

have they stopped offering that high APY?

i read in another thread that USAA has some savings accounts with yields up to 5.22%. but i don't see that on their website. the website says this:

---------------------------------------------
USAA Performance First® Savings
Daily Balance Annual Percentage Yield (APY)
Up to $9,999 2.19%
$10,000 - $24,999 2.23%
$25,000 - $49,999 2.39%
$50,000 and above 2.49%

Annual Percentage Yield (APY) applies for deposits received by 05/08/2008.
Minimum initial deposit is $10,000.
---------------------------------------------------------

have they stopped offering that high APY?

Yes, they changed their rates within the last few months in response to the federal reserve's cuts. Their current rates are still competitive, but obviously they're no where near what they used to be. BTW, I think 5.22% was only for the $50K and above account balance. A rate closer to 4.9% or 5.0% was more accurate.