USC Interview Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin_od

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out I got an interview at USC in March. Any tips from those who have interviewed there already? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed in nov. so it's hard to remember exactly what they asked, but overall it was pretty much what i expected. of the top of my head:

-read the interview feedback page (link from hte sticky on top) to get a sense of the questions they will ask.
-go over your application and have examples of pharmacy experience, leadership to tell them
-know why you want usc (over other schools) and what you plan to contribute to the class there
-it's only 20 minutes so make sure you have a nice quick summary of what you want them to know about you to say when they ask "what else do you want us to know" at the end
-have a few questions ready to ask them about the school
-don't stress over the writing sample cuz it's just a summary and there is no way to prepare
-RELAX! it's a really chill day :)

Parking tip: you can park at the meters on the side street across the street from the PSC building. It's only 25 cents an hour. It'll save you a few bucks from having to buy a parking pass.

Some questions that they asked me (Jan 24th):
1. Is this the first time you've been to the USC area?
2. Why do you want to attend USC in particular?
3. Have you considered applying to medical school?
4. What leadership roles have you been involved in?
5. Do you have any pharmacy experience?
6. What is the most significant contribution you have made at your pharmacy?
7. What were the most rewarding and the most challenging aspects of working in a pharmacy?
8. Where do you think the pharmacy profession/field is headed?
9. Do you have any questions for us?
10. Is there anything else you want us to tell the admission committee about you?

Although they do most of the questioning, you definitely have the power to control the pace, content, and direction of the interview. So feel free to expand on your biggest passions, interests, accomplishments. Also, have a couple of questions to ask them that really show your interest in the school, their program, etc.

Most importantly, relax. They'll get to know you. You'll get to know them. For me, it was more of a conversation/discussion type than a formal interview. The interviewers (prof and student) were SO warm and friendly... we spent most of the interview laughing and chatting. I actually did not prepare for the interview at all, and felt more relaxed and sincere in my responses (not rehearsed, but really coming from the heart) during the interview. Whatever floats your boat....

If you have any specific questions, feel free to post or PM me. Good luck!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
p.s. my interviewer was Dr. Globe, who developed a poison prevention program for children. As a level 2 student in her class, you get to come up with creative ideas (like puppet shows, etc) to teach children at local schools about poisons--what they look like and how to avoid them. How cool is that?!! She is so super cool and really nice. She told me a story about how a mother accidently gave her son a cup of bleach to drink cuz she thought it was water...!! yikes.... :(

I just stumbled upon this website recently and have been reading up on the useful info given. Thanks! I have interview at USC on March 20 too. Thanks to all of you for all the pointers!