Program-Specific Info / Q's USC MA-II Program Applicants - Fall 2014 (A variety of questions)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erFTW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I am a college senior from Tennessee graduating in May with a Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science. I have applied to a number of schools, but my top choice is USC in California. I was wondering if anyone else on this board has also applied to their Masters program in Occupational Therapy for Fall 2014, and if so, if you have heard anything. I know the deadline is the 15th of February (I applied back in December 2013 for regular decision), but I was also wondering if they send out regular decision acceptances before then, or if it's after the deadline.

Also, I'm Asian and out-of-state, does that affect my chances of getting in?

Lastly, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my chances of getting into USC, based on everyone's experience with applying and the such. Here are my stats (feel free to post yours as well)

GPA: 3.909 cumulative/4.0 prerequisite
GRE: Q: 148/V: 159/Cumulative: 307/4.0 on Writing
I have 105 OT volunteer experience hours (but from what I understand, the number of hours is irrelevant for their admissions process, you don't even need to document them on OTCAS)

(Side note: I've only heard back from one other school so far, the University of Toledo's OTD program. I was waitlisted, rank #6. If any of you know of typical waitlist movement for that program, or any other program, how good are my chances of getting in?

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks rcludo, I just finished reading through it actually. It helped me out a bit. I appreciate the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was accepted into the program through early decision back in December and I hope I can help! Just a quick correction though, USC's OT program actually starts Summer 2014, rather than Fall 2014.

Yes, it looks like USC does admit regular decision applicants before the February 15th deadline. I have heard of people who applied in December and got accepted in January/February. But I think that most applicants find out mid-late March though.

Also, I believe USC is an equal opportunity campus, which means that they cannot discriminate against people based on race, gender, religion, etc. So, being of Asian descent should not affect your chances of being admitted. I'm also Asian, and I got in, so I wouldn't worry about your ethnicity playing a role in admissions. I also don't think being out-of-state will affect your chances of getting in. I heard that public universities prefer to admit students from the same state, but since USC is a private institution, I believe they are more open to admitting students from all parts of the country.

Based on my own browsing of forums, it looks like you have a good shot of getting into USC. :) Your GPA is excellent and your GRE score is solid. Your quant score is a bit on the lower side, but hey, I had a low writing score (3.5) and I still got in! Also, remember that admissions criteria is not only based on GPA and GRE, but also on letters of recommendation and personal statement. Are you confident that your references wrote you a strong letter that attested to your academic ability and your personal characteristics? Do you feel your personal statement was strongly written and reflected your understanding of OT?

Remember that OT school, and grad school in general, is very rigorous and challenging. Admissions need to see evidence that you can handle the workload-that's where your GPA and GRE score come in. Those numbers are important because they give admissions an idea of your academic ability. But admissions also need to see that you are passionate about OT and that you have the personal characteristics to become a good OT-- that's where your personal statement and letters of rec come in. Do you feel your application demonstrated that you are the entire OT "package"? That you are intellectually capable, passionate about OT, creative, and good with people? If yes, then you are the type of student OT programs would want in their program. Good luck, hoping for good news! I just went through the agonizing waiting period too, so I know how stressful it is :(. Hang in there, you'll find out soon enough! :)

Mahguelly, thanks so much for your very informative response. I realize everything you have said, and believe that I am OT material. I also trust that my references provided strong letters, and that my personal statement conveyed the right message. I guess that all I can really do is wait. It really is pretty stressful, as USC is my top choice, and have always felt that SoCal is where I'm meant to be. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. But if anyone else has anything to add, please feel free to post, discuss, and elaborate upon anything you want to say, or on what has been said previously.

Hello there, I am a college senior from Tennessee graduating in May with a Bachelors of Science in Exercise Science. I have applied to a number of schools, but my top choice is USC in California. I was wondering if anyone else on this board has also applied to their Masters program in Occupational Therapy for Fall 2014, and if so, if you have heard anything. I know the deadline is the 15th of February (I applied back in December 2013 for regular decision), but I was also wondering if they send out regular decision acceptances before then, or if it's after the deadline.

Also, I'm Asian and out-of-state, does that affect my chances of getting in?

Lastly, I was wondering if I could get some opinions on my chances of getting into USC, based on everyone's experience with applying and the such. Here are my stats (feel free to post yours as well)

GPA: 3.909 cumulative/4.0 prerequisite
GRE: Q: 148/V: 159/Cumulative: 307/4.0 on Writing
I have 105 OT volunteer experience hours (but from what I understand, the number of hours is irrelevant for their admissions process, you don't even need to document them on OTCAS)

(Side note: I've only heard back from one other school so far, the University of Toledo's OTD program. I was waitlisted, rank #6. If any of you know of typical waitlist movement for that program, or any other program, how good are my chances of getting in?

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to your responses!
Did you apply to Tennessee state University or Milligan College??????? If you did is there anything you can tell about it