Program-Specific Info / Q's USC OT 2019-2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KumabellaOT

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As we approach the application deadline for the University of Southern California Entry-Level Master’s program, I figured I’d start a thread where we can all impatiently wait together! Did anyone notice on the admissions blog that they are implementing a “phase 2” this cycle? It looks like there will be some sort of video submission required for select applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As we approach the application deadline for the University of Southern California Entry-Level Master’s program, I figured I’d start a thread where we can all impatiently wait together! Did anyone notice on the admissions blog that they are implementing a “phase 2” this cycle? It looks like there will be some sort of video submission required for select applicants.
I did notice that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted too! Almost teared up :lol:

Reactions: 2 users
I just got accepted too! Almost teared up :lol:
Congrats!! I definitely teared up! I just sent in my confirmation form! I’m road tripping across America for the next few weeks so I just wanted to knock it out now!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to those who got accepted!!! Would you guys mind posting your stats? :)

Congrats to those who got accepted!!! Would you guys mind posting your stats? :)
Major: Liberal Studies
OTCAS Overall GPA: 3.47 (I had 5 Fs a million years ago and it’s hard to recover. My last 120 hours are 3.89...last 60 are 4.0)
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V159 /Q154/ AW4.0
Shadow hours: 35 hours adult outpatient; 40 hours TBI and pain management at a military base clinic; 300 hours as full time intern at pediatric therapy facility
Other experience: 20 years active duty Army (retiring in December) - no healthcare background, but a ton of leadership and management and interpersonal skills; lots of volunteer work with veterans organizations.

For the record, I asked recently about the timeline. They told me that we would hear by mid-January about Phase 2...and that decisions would be made in February. I was very surprised to hear back yesterday! I’m sure the majority of applicants will hear something shortly after the holiday break! My stats aren’t the best, but I have some unique life and professional experiences that I think may have contributed to my application.

Last edited:

School: UC San Diego (B.S. in Psychology)
GPA: 3.6
pre-req GPA: 39-4.0
GRE: 161V 166Q 5.5AWA

Volunteering/Observing:
-~100 in inpatient rehab hospital
-~100 hours in pediatric clinic
-~30 hours in SNF

Job:
-800+ hours as a physical therapy aide for a PT clinic

Letters of Rec:
1 OT, 1 OT (Volunteer supervisor), 1 physiology professor, and 1 PT (boss)

Congrats! When did you submit??

I submitted early August!

Last edited:
congrats! when did you get an email for phase 2?
They didn’t ask me to do phase 2. When the acceptance email came in, I assumed it was a generic announcement about their holiday schedule...but as I opened the email I was hopeful that it was an invitation for phase 2. Shocked is an understatement for how I felt when I realized what it was

I also didn't get an email for Phase 2!

wahot, are you definitely attending USC? Or are you still waiting to hear from other programs? USC was my number 1 choice, so I’m committed to going there. My hubby and I are relocating from NC (both recently retired from the Army)...and we just bought a house in Redlands, but I decided to just go ahead and lease an apartment at Currie Hall so that I don’t have to commute during the week.

wahot, are you definitely attending USC? Or are you still waiting to hear from other programs? USC was my number 1 choice, so I’m committed to going there. My hubby and I are relocating from NC (both recently retired from the Army)...and we just bought a house in Redlands, but I decided to just go ahead and lease an apartment at Currie Hall so that I don’t have to commute during the week.

Yeah, I'm also committed! I'm also moving somewhat close to the campus, but probably not Currie Hall since it is way out of my budget :(

Yeah, I'm also committed! I'm also moving somewhat close to the campus, but probably not Currie Hall since it is way out of my budget :(

I totally get it! I’m fortunate to have pretty amazing funding (to include a housing allowance) through the GI Bill.

I also got an acceptance email on Dec 19th! They didn't mention a phase 2 or video interview in the email, so I'm not sure if they are moving forward with that. Good luck to everyone else who applied!

Reactions: 1 users
I also got an acceptance email on Dec 19th! They didn't mention a phase 2 or video interview in the email, so I'm not sure if they are moving forward with that. Good luck to everyone else who applied!
Congrats! Will you be attending USC?

Has anyone been invited for "phase 2"? Does anyone know what it will consist of?
I have not, but I emailed one person on the admissions team and she said that if we get invited, they will be detailing everything in an email within the next two weeks.

Same! Which prompt were you given ?
In one minute, recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure (i.e. ethical dilemma, personal situation, professional situation, family issue). How did it affect you, and how did occupation/s play a role in addressing the issue?

What prompt were you given?

Hi all! I also just received the email! But I already got into my top school! Good luck to everyone continuing their admissions process !

I got an email regarding phase ii too. Does anyone know if this is the general next step or only selected applicants do this? Ive seen posts where ppl were accepted in December and they didnt have to do phase ii.

In one minute, recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure (i.e. ethical dilemma, personal situation, professional situation, family issue). How did it affect you, and how did occupation/s play a role in addressing the issue?

I also received that prompt. I'm curious as to how everyone is interpreting the word "occupation/s" since it is something very specific in the prompt.

I got an email regarding phase ii too. Does anyone know if this is the general next step or only selected applicants do this? Ive seen posts where ppl were accepted in December and they didnt have to do phase ii.
Hello I’ve also received the email for the video submission. According to the email, only selected applicants get to do this. At least this means that they’re interested in us?

I just got the email with this same prompt as well! Im just curious though how you are interpreting the second part of the question.. I feel as though it is super ambiguous and I just want to make sure I am not reading into it incorrectly!

If I remember correctly, only selected applicants get invited to the second phase. But I did hear some people get accepted without the second phase. I'm wondering if this second phase is for waitlisting or for people the admissions feel iffy about

I got emailed for the second phase as well. I am having trouble interpreting the "occupation/s" part of the question, so if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it!

I got emailed for the second phase as well. I am having trouble interpreting the "occupation/s" part of the question, so if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it!
I think it might have to do with OT or whatever you were involved with at the time, ABA, therapies, etc. and how that may have helped you in the situation. But honestly I am not sure.

I think it might have to do with OT or whatever you were involved with at the time, ABA, therapies, etc. and how that may have helped you in the situation. But honestly I am not sure.
That is what I was assuming as well, I may email for clarification purposes though.

If I remember correctly, only selected applicants get invited to the second phase. But I did hear some people get accepted without the second phase. I'm wondering if this second phase is for waitlisting or for people the admissions feel iffy about

This is what the admissions blog says about phase 2: “There is a Phase II of the application process, which may require selected applicants to submit a video. Applicants selected for Phase II will receive additional information.”

I doubt it’s just for waitlisting people. Good luck!

Yeah.. I wonder how the admission team interprets the word “occupation.” Its pretty tricky

Also does anyone know how many students are accepted to USC OT program each year?

Yeah.. I wonder how the admission team interprets the word “occupation.” Its pretty tricky

Also does anyone know how many students are accepted to USC OT program each year?

I think there are about 120 students, but I’m wondering how the students in the accelerated bachelor to masters program factor in to that equation. I’m sure the ones who start as undergrads in that program probably have first dibs. Or maybe they’re two completely different tracks.

I think there are about 120 students, but I’m wondering how the students in the accelerated bachelor to masters program factor in to that equation. I’m sure the ones who start as undergrads in that program probably have first dibs. Or maybe they’re two completely different tracks.

After looking at the 5 year bachelor to masters program on the Chan website, I think it’s a completely different track. So I think the 120 students I heard mentioned at the info session are all in the entry level masters program. They said that there are three simultaneous 40ish student cohorts rotating thru the different immersion areas each semester (peds, adults, and mental health).

Out of curiosity, what did the update say?
By occupation, we are referring to the meaningful activities that you participate in. Please see the attached document for examples. The two part question is asking what was the challenge you experienced and how did engaging in a specific occupation/s help you deal with/resolve/impact the situation."

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear a decision? I'm anxiously waiting!

Does anyone know when we should expect to hear a decision? I'm anxiously waiting!
I think mid February? But I know some people didn't hear back until mid April, off the waitlist though

When I asked about the timeline in December, this is what they told me:

“We are planning to respond to all applicants regarding the 'phase II' admission process (which will entail submitting a 1 minute video response to a question that we give you) by early January. We will be making final admissions decisions in Mid-February.”