Program-Specific Info / Q's USC OT 2019-2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who have been waitlisted, did your YouSC portal change at all?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard back from USC today! I am a late applicant (applied after nov 30th) and have been given a spot on the waitlist. Who else here is a late applicant? :) good luck to all the regular applicants!

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder what their reasoning is for notifying waitlisted candidates prior to those who are accepted

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you who are waitlisted, there was a video posted on the Chan Division student blog by one of the student ambassadors last month that might make you a little more optimistic… Go check it out!

hoping everyone receives emails soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got in! just received the email!
That's so exciting! Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, whats your last name? I heard they do this alphabetically but also not sure.

Reactions: 2 users
That's so exciting! Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, whats your last name? I heard they do this alphabetically but also not sure.
I am towards the beginning of the alphabet, F, so they're probably going in alphabetical order!

Gf got accepted, very happy for her! Received her e-mail around 5:10, last name K. She also got the RA Award, she is so happy ahhh:)

Reactions: 3 users
I was just accepted! good luck to everyone else!!

I got accepted just now. Last name is in the middle of the alphabet. I most likely will not be attending. Best of luck to all !! Fight on!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have just been accepted!! I am over the moon!!! Congrats to everyone and fingers crossed for those on the waitlist as well!

I also have just been accepted!! I am over the moon!!! Congrats to everyone and fingers crossed for those on the waitlist as well!

Congrats! Do you think you can share your stats?

I also have just been accepted!! I can't believe I actually teared up. Sending positive thoughts to those in the waitlist!<3

Congrats! Do you think you can share your stats?

GPA: 3.41
Pre req: 4.0
GRE: 156, 156, 3.5
Extra: RBT for 4 years, 500+ hours inpatient stroke, robotic therapy tech for OT research, 400 hours in pediatric, research assistant in 3 university labs for psychology and OT research (pretty sure the research background is a BIG factor as to why I was accepted)

For those recently accepted, how long did they give you to respond?

I started an FB group...if you plan to attend USC, here’s the group name: USC OT - Entry-Level Master of Arts Class of 2022

Hey guys! I just wanted to know if any of you may have an idea as to why USC is different in that it offers an MA in OT rather than an MSc.. if at all anyone would have an idea about this. Thanks!

is anyone that’s waitlisted receiving emails about needed more information about financial aid?

Hey guys! I just wanted to know if any of you may have an idea as to why USC is different in that it offers an MA in OT rather than an MSc.. if at all anyone would have an idea about this. Thanks!
Someone asked this a couple years ago. I don’t think anyone had a good answer. The AOTA FAQ says this though: “What is the difference between an MOT, MA, or MS degree that is awarded at the completion of my master's degree program?
These are all appropriate degrees to award at the completion of an entry-level occupational therapy educational program. The degree awarded is an institutional prerogative based on consistency with the mission and structure of the college or university. All are considered entry-level degrees, although the MOT designation is more commonly used to designate an entry-level degree.“

does anyone have any idea of how many applicants are placed on the waitlist?

Hey everyone! I’m a current first year student in the OT program. I was on the waitlist & got accepted literally the day before classes started, so I want everyone on the waitlist to remain HOPEFUL !!! The waitlist is a good thing. Feel free to msg me with any questions :)

Hey everyone! I’m a current first year student in the OT program. I was on the waitlist & got accepted literally the day before classes started, so I want everyone on the waitlist to remain HOPEFUL !!! The waitlist is a good thing. Feel free to msg me with any questions :)

thanks for the encouragement!! Put quick question, if you got in the day before classes started, were you able to register for the classes you wanted?

thanks for the encouragement!! Put quick question, if you got in the day before classes started, were you able to register for the classes you wanted?
I think we are all together for the summer session.

Yup, it’s not like undergrad where you’re competing for classes. You’ll get the classes you need no matter what :)

Yup, it’s not like undergrad where you’re competing for classes. You’ll get the classes you need no matter what :)

Thank you hopefully they will start working their way down the wait list :'(

.....Anyways....
For those of you that have chosen to go to USC can I ask what were some determining factors that made you decide? I am on the fence between USC and Boston University (and SJSU). The main differences, other than location, being a Masters or OTD. I did a summer research internship at USC a few years ago and am familiar with the beautiful campus, but was not in love with the LA area.

Are there specific things about the program itself that made you decide that this was the program for you. I would love to hear everyone's perspectives, good or bad, about everything from faculty, housing, finances, facilities, curriculum, and everything else I am missing. I would REALLY appreciate what everyone has to say.

.....Anyways....
For those of you that have chosen to go to USC can I ask what were some determining factors that made you decide? I am on the fence between USC and Boston University (and SJSU). The main differences, other than location, being a Masters or OTD. I did a summer research internship at USC a few years ago and am familiar with the beautiful campus, but was not in love with the LA area.

Are there specific things about the program itself that made you decide that this was the program for you. I would love to hear everyone's perspectives, good or bad, about everything from faculty, housing, finances, facilities, curriculum, and everything else I am missing. I would REALLY appreciate what everyone has to say.

I loved the facilities and the curriculum format. I like that you do one day in a clinical setting each week working with the population that you’re studying during that semester (adults, peds, mental health). I like that there are electives during the final semester. And I like that their network is huge and that fieldwork opportunities are plentiful. I am committed to staying in Southern California, but if SJSU was an option for me, I’d likely choose that one despite my love for USC. If you’re in-state, SJSU tuition can’t be beat!

And by the way, I appreciate your “anyways...” intro. The previous post was completely unnecessary at this point in the game!

.....Anyways....

I’m not too sure how SJSU program is, but I heard they had some difficulty with fieldwork this past year which is something EXTREMELY important in the program. However, tuition wise, amazing compared to USC. I’m in the program right now & I love it. I agree with everything that was said about fieldwork, connections, electives, etc. The staff & faculty here are SUPER supportive which is another plus because some schools may not have this support system.

Thank you both for your responses :)
I am grateful to hear your perspectives as both incoming and current students. I am a California resident, which is why SJSU tuition is soooo appealing to me, but there is no denying that USC has an amazing program.

Does anyone else plan on attending the admitted student reception on April 3rd?

For those of you who might be similarly waitlisted, I emailed professor Nxumalo about what to expect. We did Q and A format. Here is our dialogue:

1) There might be a time period in which you will hear back if accepted applicants will be attending. To get some idea of a timeline of events, when might waitlisted applicants likely begin hearing back from the admissions committee?
We hear every day whether the admitted students accept/decline our offers. This process takes place all the way up to the start of the program. Therefore we offer our waitlist applicants positions all the time. It is hard to say when you will hear back.

2) I know this varies year to year and the percentage may not pertain to this application cycle, but out of curiosity, how many of the 2018-2019 wait listed applicants were accepted into the program?
This really does vary year to year. We cannot give you specific percentages from prior classes. However, I can say that each year we heavily utilize our waitlist to fill the spaces in our class.

For those of you who might be similarly waitlisted, I emailed professor Nxumalo about what to expect. We did Q and A format. Here is our dialogue:

1) There might be a time period in which you will hear back if accepted applicants will be attending. To get some idea of a timeline of events, when might waitlisted applicants likely begin hearing back from the admissions committee?
We hear every day whether the admitted students accept/decline our offers. This process takes place all the way up to the start of the program. Therefore we offer our waitlist applicants positions all the time. It is hard to say when you will hear back.

2) I know this varies year to year and the percentage may not pertain to this application cycle, but out of curiosity, how many of the 2018-2019 wait listed applicants were accepted into the program?
This really does vary year to year. We cannot give you specific percentages from prior classes. However, I can say that each year we heavily utilize our waitlist to fill the spaces in our class.
This makes me feel a bit better! I'm crossing my fingers that I can get off of the waitlist

.....Anyways....

I went for a tour back in January, and there were alot of things I really liked about the program. I loved the ability to specialize through electives, the variety of experiences with level one fieldwork, and everyone seemed very nice. I didn't really like LA, but that is more of a personal thing. From what I understood, most of your classes will be on the health science campus which is about ~15 minutes from the main campus. It is in the middle of the medical center but didn't really have a "college campus" feel to me if that is something you are looking for. The biggest issue I had was with the facilities. What I remember there being was a pediatric "lab" (half of a room set up to look like a peds clinic) and an inpatient/apartment set up with beds and a bathroom and kitchen. I was surprised to see what the facilities were like when I have heard other private schools have really new and high tech things. Not that that stuff is necessary, but it could be a factor. Even with their best scholarships, tuition is still double or triple state schools which is definitely a factor. I ultimately decided against going to USC after I got into my state school.

Thank you both for your responses :)
I am grateful to hear your perspectives as both incoming and current students. I am a California resident, which is why SJSU tuition is soooo appealing to me, but there is no denying that USC has an amazing program.

Does anyone else plan on attending the admitted student reception on April 3rd?

I’ll be at the admitted student reception! If you’re there, I’ll be the 39 year old with pink hair :)

I’ll be at the admitted student reception! If you’re there, I’ll be the 39 year old with pink hair :)
I’ll also be at the admitted student reception! USC has always been my dream school, but the cost is the only thing that’s holding me back. I’m deciding between here and Wash U, so hopefully seeing everything in person will clear things up for me.

Has anyone filled out the financial aide supplement yet?