Program-Specific Info / Q's USC OT 2019-2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently graduated from USC and while it is such a great school and the professors and networking opportunities are amazing, I would strongly recommend going to the cheapest school where you would be happy. Employers really don’t care where you went to school - they care mostly about your experiences and that you have your license, so as long as the program is accredited, the school “ranking” doesn’t seem to matter. If you are concerned about tuition and you weren’t a fan of the area then I personally would choose SJSU. I know a few of my classmates who are now $200k in debt and will be paying it off for the next 27 years.... Don’t get me wrong, I loved USC but I don’t think it’s worth all that money when you can get the same exact job and pay going to a cheaper school and not having to worry about as much (or any) debt afterwards.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I recently graduated from USC and while it is such a great school and the professors and networking opportunities are amazing, I would strongly recommend going to the cheapest school where you would be happy. Employers really don’t care where you went to school - they care mostly about your experiences and that you have your license, so as long as the program is accredited, the school “ranking” doesn’t seem to matter. If you are concerned about tuition and you weren’t a fan of the area then I personally would choose SJSU. I know a few of my classmates who are now $200k in debt and will be paying it off for the next 27 years.... Don’t get me wrong, I loved USC but I don’t think it’s worth all that money when you can get the same exact job and pay going to a cheaper school and not having to worry about as much (or any) debt afterwards.

Thank you SOO much. Your reply has given me so much perspective. I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both for your responses :)
I am grateful to hear your perspectives as both incoming and current students. I am a California resident, which is why SJSU tuition is soooo appealing to me, but there is no denying that USC has an amazing program.

Does anyone else plan on attending the admitted student reception on April 3rd?
I'll be there! Can't wait to meet the rest of the cohort!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! I just want to give a quick update that I just got an email acceptance from USC! This was surprising to me because I am a late applicant and was recently waitlisted so I expected to hear back in April/May. Good luck to all my fellow waitlisters! :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone! I just want to give a quick update that I just got an email acceptance from USC! This was surprising to me because I am a late applicant and was recently waitlisted so I expected to hear back in April/May. Good luck to all my fellow waitlisters! :)
OMG Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations! How long did they give you to accept or decline the offer?

Congratulations! How long did they give you to accept or decline the offer?
Thank you! They gave me until April 6th, which was super odd considering that that is the same deadline as the admitted applicants before me.

Would anyone who has visited be able to give me some insight on what they liked/didn’t like about the campus, classrooms, etc? I’m from out-of-state, and I’ve only ever been to the main campus years ago. I was depending on admitted students day to get a real feel for the program, and now I don’t know how I’ll be able to decide without visiting. Thanks!

Hello! Thank you so much for this!
I just got off the waitlist and am wondering how difficult or intense the OT courses are at USC.

Hello! Thank you so much for this!
I just got off the waitlist and am wondering how difficult or intense the OT courses are at USC.
Congrats! When did you hear back about your status ?

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted and committed!

If you're a female and interested in living in a 4 bed at Currie Hall next year, let me know! I prematurely signed a lease with them and am hoping to stay with my folks instead next year due to personal reasons. Even if you were planning on living at Currie anyway if you would just request my name, I would really appreciate it!

Please PM if interested! Also I should note that I am currently an MS1 so I can't particularly answer questions about your program, but if you want to know more about the area around the HSC campus/ the culture, feel free to message me!

Last edited:
Just got accepted into USC from the Waitlist!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted into USC from the Waitlist!!
Congrats!!! I have a quick question. Did they tell you your ranking on the waitlist/that you were about to get off soon or did they just send an email once it happened? Just curious :)

Has anyone submitted financial documents and forms that are listed in Document Library? I just found out about these forms and I am freaking out a little bit because of not doing it earlier. Does anyone know if there are due dates for these documents?

Congrats!!! I have a quick question. Did they tell you your ranking on the waitlist/that you were about to get off soon or did they just send an email once it happened? Just curious :)
I wasn't notified of my position they just emailed me my acceptance letters!

Has anyone submitted financial documents and forms that are listed in Document Library? I just found out about these forms and I am freaking out a little bit because of not doing it earlier. Does anyone know if there are due dates for these documents?
Where is the document library?

Has anyone else received the goodie in the mail? I just got mine. I’m so curious.

Has anyone else received the goodie in the mail? I just got mine. I’m so curious.

I just got mine yesterday! Literally just waiting for the code on Friday haha

For those of you who got off the waitlist, will you guys be attending USC? If so, what are the major reasons that you chose USC over other schools? Also is there anyone who is admitted with continuing registration requirements?

For those of you who got off the waitlist, will you guys be attending USC? If so, what are the major reasons that you chose USC over other schools? Also is there anyone who is admitted with continuing registration requirements?

I got off of the waitlist and committed to the program. One of my major reasons is that although the tuition is very expensive, I have heard about the networking benefits as a USC alumni. I had a previous friend who received her Master's at USC and she told me that compared to her other MOT friends from other campuses, USC graduates seemed to be receiving job offers a lot more. Another personal factor for me is that USC has played an influential role in this field and I really wanted to study at a place that is so renown. Also, they provide the accelerated MA to OTD program which adds only one more year to the Master's degree to earn that Doctor Degree.

Reactions: 2 users
I got off of the waitlist and committed to the program. One of my major reasons is that although the tuition is very expensive, I have heard about the networking benefits as a USC alumni. I had a previous friend who received her Master's at USC and she told me that compared to her other MOT friends from other campuses, USC graduates seemed to be receiving job offers a lot more. Another personal factor for me is that USC has played an influential role in this field and I really wanted to study at a place that is so renown. Also, they provide the accelerated MA to OTD program which adds only one more year to the Master's degree to earn that Doctor Degree.
Thank you for your comment! I actually committed to the program as well and sent the admit form on Sunday. Did the admissions get back to you for confirmation when you emailed your admit form? Since I accepted the offer at the last minute I want to make sure they have received mine

I got an acceptance from my other state school very recently and although at first I was very hesitant on attending USC due to cost, the experience you’ll gain at USC is unparalleled. I’ve talked to numerous alumni and they all loved their experience and told me they can do more than just be a clinician. It opened doors for them to direct an OT program and teach! The networking, experience, and opportunities you’ll gain from attending usc do not have a price tag and that’s something unique usc can offer compared to a cheap state school. I want to be an OT professor in addition to doing clinical work so that’s why I committed! I hope to see you all on campus in the summer! :)

Thank you for your comment! I actually committed to the program as well and sent the admit form on Sunday. Did the admissions get back to you for confirmation when you emailed your admit form? Since I accepted the offer at the last minute I want to make sure they have received mine
I got a confirmation from Dr. Anvarizadeh just because I asked for one when I sent my commitment forms haha

I just got off the waitlist today! Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
I also just got off the waitlist!!

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!! For those of you who got accepted from the waitlist - did you you write a letter of intent?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted!! For those of you who got accepted from the waitlist - did you you write a letter of intent?
Personally I did not. I am still in prereqs and so there was nothing new that I was adding to my application, no new hours or experiences. So I did not write a letter because there was nothing that would not have been present in my already submitted application

Reactions: 1 users
Personally I did not. I am still in prereqs and so there was nothing new that I was adding to my application, no new hours or experiences. So I did not write a letter because there was nothing that would not have been present in my already submitted application

Got it! Thank you so much for the reply!!

I just got notified of conditional admission from the waitlist! There are some prereqs that I need to satisfy but I am so thrilled!! Here are my stats for those wondering....

UCLA
Fine arts major, Arts education minor
undergrad GPA: 3.6
prereq GPA: all As
GRE: 152V 151Q 4W
83 hrs at VA
23 hrs at Peds clinic
I work part time as a PE and Art/fashion teacher for elementary kids

Hi everyone! I just got notified that I was accepted off the waitlist but I will most likely be declining my spot for SJSU or to take an extra gap year because of COVID. Good luck to everyone waiting!

Is anyone wanting to live near the HSC Campus? I have a room to re-lease!

This is my first ever forum post idek this will be seen lol but to those who got off the waitlist, do you mind sharing your stats?
I’m planning on applying for next year’s cycle and just so anxious to see where I stand already :(
The admissions associate I emailed said they’re still recalculating them

This is my first ever forum post idek this will be seen lol but to those who got off the waitlist, do you mind sharing your stats?
I’m planning on applying for next year’s cycle and just so anxious to see where I stand already :(
The admissions associate I emailed said they’re still recalculating them

Everyone's stats will vary and USC has a very holistic admissions process and will account everything in your admissions decision! If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask! Good luck! :)
Major: Psychology
Minor: Disability and Human Development
Overall GPA: 3.85
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
GRE: 143 Q, 149 V, 5 writing (this is rough i know lol)
Shadowing: 47hrs inpatient adults, 140hrs pediatrics, 13hrs outpatient adults
Extras: worked 2 years as a peer mentor in residence halls, 100 hours as a summer camp counselor, volunteer coordinator of pre-ot club at my undergrad university for 1 year, worked 10 months as assistant teacher in daycare, 66 hours as research assistant, 6 month internship as therapeutic preschool

Everyone's stats will vary and USC has a very holistic admissions process and will account everything in your admissions decision! If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask! Good luck! :)
Major: Psychology
Minor: Disability and Human Development
Overall GPA: 3.85
Pre-Req GPA: 3.65
GRE: 143 Q, 149 V, 5 writing (this is rough i know lol)
Shadowing: 47hrs inpatient adults, 140hrs pediatrics, 13hrs outpatient adults
Extras: worked 2 years as a peer mentor in residence halls, 100 hours as a summer camp counselor, volunteer coordinator of pre-ot club at my undergrad university for 1 year, worked 10 months as assistant teacher in daycare, 66 hours as research assistant, 6 month internship as therapeutic preschool

Thanks for the feedback :)
USC is my top choice and I’m really hoping I have a decent shot these are my current stats I’m not sure if they’re good enough they seem so average how can I make myself more competitive?
I’m really trying to gain more experience since I graduated but covid postponed my shadowing program so it’s been tough :/

Major: Kinesiology
Concentration: clinical movement science
GPA: 3.67
GRE: 151 Q 154 V (writing pending)
Exp: 120 OT/Hand therapy, 30 Hippotherapy Therapy Clinic, 300+ PT Aide, 700+ In-Home Caregiver

hi everyone! I am a second year at USC and I am currently writing a blog on how I applied, as well as tips from my classmates and even the faculty! If you have any questions about applying I'd love to interact with you on there! Here is the link: OT with Bethany

Hello! I was wondering if there is anyone here who applied for USC OT and also applied for their division scholarships, got waitlisted, later accepted and still got scholarships despite being waitlisted initially?

I was waitlisted and I was told in the email that if we get off the waitlist, our scholarship applications will still be considered. However,
I’m kind of in a negative headspace and feeling like why would they give it to waitlisters like me if they can just give the scholarships to someone who was originally accepted in the first place/their “first choice” students who accepts their admission offer?

Thank you!

Hello! I was wondering if there is anyone here who applied for USC OT and also applied for their division scholarships, got waitlisted, later accepted and still got scholarships despite being waitlisted initially?

I was waitlisted and I was told in the email that if we get off the waitlist, our scholarship applications will still be considered. However,
I’m kind of in a negative headspace and feeling like why would they give it to waitlisters like me if they can just give the scholarships to someone who was originally accepted in the first place/their “first choice” students who accepts their admission offer?

Thank you!
Hi! I was waitlisted at USC and when I got accepted 2 months later I still got division scholarships! They definitely still consider your scholarship application when you're off the waitlist!

Hi! I was waitlisted at USC and when I got accepted 2 months later I still got division scholarships! They definitely still consider your scholarship application when you're off the waitlist!
That’s really awesome and I’m happy that happened for you! Thank you for your response!

I was wondering if you also have any insights on how their waitlist system works?
Do you also remember if you were accepted before or after the due date for accepted students to accept/deny their acceptance offer?

I was wondering if you also have any insights on how their waitlist system works?
Do you also remember if you were accepted before or after the due date for accepted students to accept/deny their acceptance offer?
Unfortunately, I am unsure of how their waitlist system works! I'm sure they already have a certain ranking of the applicants in the waitlist and they continue to go down that list - but other than that I'm not sure. Also, I think I was accepted after the due date for accepted students to accept/deny their acceptance offer!

Unfortunately, I am unsure of how their waitlist system works! I'm sure they already have a certain ranking of the applicants in the waitlist and they continue to go down that list - but other than that I'm not sure. Also, I think I was accepted after the due date for accepted students to accept/deny their acceptance offer!
Just saw your response! Thank you! It was helpful!

Just saw your response! Thank you! It was helpful!
Hi! :) Just got off of the waitlist a few days ago so wanted to share the insight I've gained. I actually got a Division scholarship despite being on the waitlist, so it's definitely a possibility! In terms of the waitlist, they have a set order like prettymuchot said, and one of my friends in the program actually encouraged me to ask generally where I am on the waitlist - they don't give out your actual number but it's helpful with determining where you are more generally. Best of luck!!

Hi! :) Just got off of the waitlist a few days ago so wanted to share the insight I've gained. I actually got a Division scholarship despite being on the waitlist, so it's definitely a possibility! In terms of the waitlist, they have a set order like prettymuchot said, and one of my friends in the program actually encouraged me to ask generally where I am on the waitlist - they don't give out your actual number but it's helpful with determining where you are more generally. Best of luck!!
thank you so much for the information :) i appreciate it!

Hi guys,
I emailed about my place on the waitlist and I was told I was in the "top half."
However, it's been almost 2 months since I got waitlisted and I'm honestly slowly losing grip on hope as each week passes by D':
Do you guys think I still have a good chance? While being on the top half sounds great, I know there could be like 100 people in the top half for all I know D':

Hi guys,
I emailed about my place on the waitlist and I was told I was in the "top half."
However, it's been almost 2 months since I got waitlisted and I'm honestly slowly losing grip on hope as each week passes by D':
Do you guys think I still have a good chance? While being on the top half sounds great, I know there could be like 100 people in the top half for all I know D':
Can I ask you what your stats were when applying?