USC Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got an acceptance today. from antelope valley. interviewed in jan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has everyone from the Jan 21st interview gotten a reply by now? I haven't heard back at all (email or mail) :/. I think I'll follow your example ekimed and call them.

Anyone get an e-mail from "studentedition" to fill out some info at applicationstation? I never heard of this..so I am a bit skeptical haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get an e-mail from "studentedition" to fill out some info at applicationstation? I never heard of this..so I am a bit skeptical haha.

Yeah I did. It's legit so you don't have to worry about it being a scam. It's a criminal background check service that you can see here on PharmCAS:

https://portal.pharmcas.org/applicants2011/faq/pcas_background_check.shtml

You need to do it because USC uses that service. They want to know if your background is clean or not.

Last edited:
yes it is! i don't want to make excuses for why i couldn't perform my best during the interview, but i really hope my interviewer didn't deduct too many points for being extremely nervous :( i straight up told him that i was nervous too. i really hope i can get in this cycle!!!!!!

hey, you know what, the first thing i told my interviewers when i came into the room was that i was feeling nervous. they said it was alright and that i didn't have to be. that didn't seem to give them a negative impression of me. i also didn't wear a suit to the interview [i'm a guy, and i think i was the only guy without a suit]. i think the process can be unpredictable, so just keep hoping! you can also send them a letter of intent and/or a more recently updated resume to show your continued interest in their program. gl!

Last edited:
I received an email from studentedition yesterday as well but have not heard anything from USC.

hey, you know what, the first thing i told my interviewers when i came into the room was that i was feeling nervous. they said it was alright and that i didn't have to be. that didn't seem to give them a negative impression of me. i also didn't wear a suit to the interview [i'm a guy, and i think i was the only guy without a suit]. i think the process can be unpredictable, so just keep hoping! you can also send them a letter of intent and/or a more recently updated resume to show your continued interest in their program. gl!

aww you're so sweet :) thank you for your kind words. i did do everything that you have jsut listed. i guess it didn't matter since i'm still on the AC list :( it's okay, i know some people last year waited until june, so i'll wait for some good news, hopefully.

ps. some of my friends didn't do any of that stuff but they all got off the AC list. maybe it's better not to send a letter.. :/

Last edited:
aww you're so sweet :) thank you for your kind words. i did do everything that you have jsut listed. i guess it didn't matter since i'm still on the AC list :( it's okay, i know some people last year waited until june, so i'll wait for some good news, hopefully.

ps. some of my friends didn't do any of that stuff but they all got off the AC list. maybe it's better not to send a letter.. :/

Keep your head up lilshybabu and a little bit of praying could help you along the way. Hope to hear good news from you in the future :). Are you done with all of your interviews or you have more to come?

Keep your head up lilshybabu and a little bit of praying could help you along the way. Hope to hear good news from you in the future :). Are you done with all of your interviews or you have more to come?

thank you for your kind words :) I do have western coming up in a few weeks but I didn't even take anatomy so I don't know how this is going to play out. They wanted us to finish everything by June 1st but I couldn't get into anatomy :/ Sighs, hopefully there will be good news next month. Maybe more will be off the AC list (hopefully me included :()

thank you for your kind words :) I do have western coming up in a few weeks but I didn't even take anatomy so I don't know how this is going to play out. They wanted us to finish everything by June 1st but I couldn't get into anatomy :/ Sighs, hopefully there will be good news next month. Maybe more will be off the AC list (hopefully me included :()

Oh. Good luck with Western. As for anatomy, you could ask them to see if they let you get in w/o that class (after your acceptance that is). It sucks that USC doesn't need anatomy while Western needs it. I know like at least 10 people being accepted into USC will not be attending this fall so you still have a shot of getting in.

Got accepted !!! But havent recieved a yellow packet yet. I had to call admissions bc I didn't hear anything from them. Interviewed in October. I'm not sure if I will be accepting the offer so there's a chance one of you guys could have my seat! Good luck to everyone!!

Last edited:
Got accepted !!! But havent recieved a yellow packet yet. I had to call admissions bc I didn't hear anything from them. Interviewed in October. I'm not sure if I will be accepting the offer so there's a chance one of you guys could have my seat! Good luck to everyone!!
oooh did u already call and decline ur offer for western ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay I received the acceptance package :) Interviewed Jan 21st.

So you're waiting for ucsf. Your backup is ucsd?

ucsf is a great school but I don't think I would go there if I got in. I already spend the last four year doing my undergrad here in the city. I want a different environment and better weather conditions lol. But I am waiting to see what my options are. Currently i think ucsd is my 1st choice. Are you set on going to USC?

I interviewed in January and received an acceptance yesterday, but I will be declining the offer. This should open up a free spot! Good luck to those of you still waiting!

I interviewed in January and received an acceptance yesterday, but I will be declining the offer. This should open up a free spot! Good luck to those of you still waiting!

If you dont mind me asking, what school are you planning to attend?

Hi guys, Im hoping i can get more advice on what school to attend. Im torn between Western and USC. Western was my top choice for a long time for many reasons, first that I liked their campus alot more than usc's and also because it seems like a more laid-back relaxed environment. I live in OC and pomona is just 30 min from my home and the area seems more more relaxed then the chaotic lifestyle and traffic of LA. I feel like im going to be happier in Western but the reputation of USC just keeps coming back to me and the opportunities it will offer. I have talked to some professor and they have told me not to base my decision on reputation, but most of my friends just keep telling me to go to sc.

I woundnt mind working in retail for a few years, but ultimately my goal is to work as a geriatric pharmacist and have more direct patiet care. I dont know if going to western will keep me from fulfiling these goals, but i know usc seems to be more clinical? Anyone have any thoughts about this? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi guys, Im hoping i can get more advice on what school to attend. Im torn between Western and USC. Western was my top choice for a long time for many reasons, first that I liked their campus alot more than usc's and also because it seems like a more laid-back relaxed environment. I live in OC and pomona is just 30 min from my home and the area seems more more relaxed then the chaotic lifestyle and traffic of LA. I feel like im going to be happier in Western but the reputation of USC just keeps coming back to me and the opportunities it will offer. I have talked to some professor and they have told me not to base my decision on reputation, but most of my friends just keep telling me to go to sc.

I woundnt mind working in retail for a few years, but ultimately my goal is to work as a geriatric pharmacist and have more direct patiet care. I dont know if going to western will keep me from fulfiling these goals, but i know usc seems to be more clinical? Anyone have any thoughts about this? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I have a similar situation as you...I can't decide between Touro, USC or UCSD. Touro is closer to home and I like to have the option to go home when I want to, but I am leaning more towards USC or UCSD. I agree with you about USC's reputation and they do have a big alumni network in SoCal. But I also like how UCSD is a public school so the tuition is cheaper.

And I heard that USC is more for people who want to go into retail? But I am not too sure.

I didn't get a chance to explore the campus at USC or UCSD when I interviewed :(. But from what I've heard is that the area around USC is not too safe. Does anyone have any advice or opinion?

And I heard that USC is more for people who want to go into retail? But I am not too sure.

I think USC is more clinical, or in-between? =X

A lot of the pharmacists who I have worked with are from USC so I guess I'm just basing it off that.

Definitely ask around but like what everyone said, don't do it because of just the reputation.

Last edited:
I am also torn between USC and UCSD.

LA would be new experience for me since I've lived in San Diego while going to UCSD for my undergrad....but...San Diego is a city that I'm sure that I love...Also, I have been getting mixed reviews about USC. I have heard that USC can get cliquey like high school and the class becomes segregated once people join fraternities. I also heard that sometimes professors do not even show up for class. This does not appeal to me.

Are there are any students who can share some positive experiences about USC? What they like about the program? And if the faculty and staff are supportive and committed?

I have heard that USC can get cliquey like high school and the class becomes segregated once people join fraternities. I also heard that sometimes professors do not even show up for class. This does not appeal to me.

woahhhh! the funny thing is that I heard the EXACT same thing yesterday from a friend. what a coincidence. definitely do your research before making your decision but do what your gut tells you.. chances are, it maybe right. if you think you'll feel happier at a certain school .. then follow your instincts.

woahhhh! the funny thing is that I heard the EXACT same thing yesterday from a friend. what a coincidence. definitely do your research before making your decision but do what your gut tells you.. chances are, it maybe right. if you think you'll feel happier at a certain school .. then follow your instincts.

It seems that you have a negative view on usc. So that means you will attend WesternU?

It seems that you have a negative view on usc. So that means you will attend WesternU?

haha I wouldn't say a negative view. a lot of them asked for opinions and I'm just saying to follow what their instincts tell them. I don't think you should go to a school just based on reputation.. you should like what the program has to offer. :) but my friends have been scaring me a bit saying that they have regretted their choices .. so idk.

Last edited:
haha I wouldn't say a negative view. a lot of them asked for opinions and I'm just saying to follow what their instincts tell them. I don't think you should go to a school just based on reputation.. you should like what the program has to offer. :) but my friends have been scaring me a bit saying that they have regretted their choices .. so idk.

I heard a lot of my friends are regretting of picking westernu over usc too. Opinions are annoying...just go with guts and stick to it.

I heard a lot of my friends are regretting of picking westernu over usc too. Opinions are annoying...just go with guts and stick to it.

people have picked western over usc? what were their reasons?

people have picked western over usc? what were their reasons?

Possible factors: tuition, family and how comfortable they feel with the program...who knows? But a few of my friends tell me that they are regretting of rejecting usc for western, and tell me to avoid western. Like I said, opinions are annoying...I chose usc because of personal reasons and I really like what they have to offer, not because of their reputation.

My friends told me USC helps you find internships and jobs, is this true?
Does anyone know the statistics on employment and residency rates of class of 2011?

But from what I've heard is that the area around USC is not too safe. Does anyone have any advice or opinion?

I would have to disagree with you on the first part. USC is very into the clinical aspect of pharmacy. A lot, almost half, of the students in my class have internships at hospitals right now. We have some amazing professors who are very respected in their areas that work in the hospitals around LA. Not sure where they got that info...

As far as it being safe, you're right. The area that USC is located isn't the best place. The actual campus is fine, walking to and from the parking lots is fine. I've never heard of anything happening around here. Most of the crime is by the main campus. A lot of students live in Alhambra, Monterey Park, and Pasadena. These are all very safe places to live with only 10 minutes of commute time.

I have heard that USC can get cliquey like high school and the class becomes segregated once people join fraternities. I also heard that sometimes professors do not even show up for class. This does not appeal to me.

Are there are any students who can share some positive experiences about USC? What they like about the program? And if the faculty and staff are supportive and committed?

Unfortunately I would have to kind of agree with your first statement. When class first started everyone was very close, then the fraternity rushing began. It does split up the class a bit, but It all depends on how you approach it. I'm in one of the fraternities but I've never stopped talking or communicating with my other classmates. Its those select few that get into a fraternity and think that that's all that matters. The whole fraternity separation eventually fades, I'm in my second year right now and we've become somewhat of a close class again

I've only ever had two professors miss class in the last two years, but not because they just decided to not show up. There were legitimate reasons for them not being there, things that they couldn't control

Does anyone know what are the chances for people on the waiting list?

thanks

I think its better if its a facebook group instead of just a page. I created a group if people want to join. If a group has been created already, please post the link here!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/370732779617232/

Pharmacywarrior i'll make you admin so you can manage the group :)

Oh you made a group. Thanks a lot. No thank you for the admin. I think you should be the admin :)

For the acceptance deposit, is there a way we can pay online? Or do they only accept money order in the mail?

For the acceptance deposit, is there a way we can pay online? Or do they only accept money order in the mail?

You must send it via money order and mail it along with the 6 forms into that one small envelope. lol. The reason why they don't want people to pay online because you can cancel the transaction if you decide not to attend usc. That way they can take your $ in exchange for their time and $ spent on you (those fancy acceptance packages must be pricey for them).

Hi,

Did USC already send out the invitations to the interview in March? Has anyone received an invitation? I haven't heard from them - not even a rejection like the other schools sent so I am confused as to where I stand. Anyone have ideas? Thanks!

To applicants who were placed on AC pool in October-

Were you notified your status after the January decision?

I don't want to be waiting for too long. :(

To applicants who were placed on AC pool in October-

Were you notified your status after the January decision?

I don't want to be waiting for too long. :(

They will keep you updated after every interview session. So you'll probably hear back in the next 2 weeks?

Just got my interview invite for March 24th this morning! So they have started notifying people

I am also torn between USC and UCSD.

LA would be new experience for me since I've lived in San Diego while going to UCSD for my undergrad....but...San Diego is a city that I'm sure that I love...Also, I have been getting mixed reviews about USC. I have heard that USC can get cliquey like high school and the class becomes segregated once people join fraternities. I also heard that sometimes professors do not even show up for class. This does not appeal to me.

My experience at USC was that the instructors are mostly open and frank. Granted, I did my prereqs mainly at CC and got my BS from CSUSB, so I'm used to open door policies and available instructors, but I had no difficulty with meeting instructors to discuss things during lecture breaks, after class, or at extracurricular activities.

Regarding cliques...yes, they exist, but not necessarily in the snobbish sense, mostly. There are the fraternity friends, the study buddies, the undergrad friends, the pharmacy club comrades. At any point in time you'll be in one or more of these "cliques", but it doesn't mean you don't interact with the other students. I tend to be an introvert and don't have any close friends by my own choosing, but most people knew me and called me by first name, whether I knew theirs or not. I found it to be a very friendly and open learning environment.

The preceptors I had were very demanding, but also encouraging and cognizant of demands on student's time. Especially mine with work, school, and family (I started with a wife and 2 kids, finished with 3 kids, and now have a 4th) Of course I didn't use them as an excuse and was always on time and generally didn't ask to go home early.
Regarding tuition, it's close enough toWestern's and UOPs, that it's pretty much a wash. With CA's budget, I'd imagine SF and SD won't be too far behind by the end of 4 years.

That being said, if you want to go elsewhere don't let me stop you, but don't let any one else make up your mind either. Set up a tour, make a phone call, but get information from as close to the source as possible. You'll be spending way too much money to make this choice based on hearsay and rumor.

Still waiting/hoping for an interview for March...hope to get one though very skeptical because it's so late in the game. Anyone get any march interviews yet? wondering if there's any chance....

Still waiting/hoping for an interview for March...hope to get one though very skeptical because it's so late in the game. Anyone get any march interviews yet? wondering if there's any chance....

I'm not sure if USC will have a 5th interview to fill up spots or just pull people off of the AC list. I know many people are going to decline USC for UCSF and UCSD. I hope their decisions will benefit you in some way. Good luck Sid.

Last edited: