USC vs. Emory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microgal

NYC's Finest
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose, where would you go and why?

Members don't see this ad.

If you had to choose, where would you go and why?

i'd pick emory b/c of location, great reputation, and solid education... don't know much about usc but i'm sure it's good too

Damn. I hate these threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd pick based on the location you'd rather be in. I'd take LA personally, because I wasn't too impressed with hotlanta (especially because it was cold). Or else money, if that's a factor. Other than location, there are a lot of similarities.

great educations
Grady=General (but they are opening a brand new General which is amazing!)
housing is similar
weather should be similar
great free clinics

Emory has the brand new med school building, and curriculum. Which is cool. But Keck also has a brand new hospital.

In the end, I'd take Keck. I liked it better. And I'm an East coaster.

Yeah I always thought I would choose Emory over Keck until I interviewed in LA last week. I am fairly bicoastal but my parents are still in northern CA...which is definitely a consideration. I wouldn't be thrilled about living in Pasadena (a 15+min drive to campus) but it looks like at Emory you have to drive at least that long to get to Grady from Emory anyways. At least LA County and Keck med are right next to each other. Their tuitions are similar...private is private as far as I"m concerned. It is cool that Emory has a new med student center, but I think I'd still pick being a 50 min flight from the rents over plasma tvs in the student lounge....hmmm maybe i've thought this one through better than I thought.

i'd pick emory b/c of location, great reputation, and solid education... don't know much about usc but i'm sure it's good too
Right on. Reputation is most important as well as emory's great facilities! Usc is a bit run down (except the new hospital) while emory has a new student lounge (very important to relax between studying) and is in a more culturally diverse area. Plus attending Usc can get you shot from being in the ghetto!

PICK EMORY!

I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think Emory necessarily has a better reputation than USC. 26 vs 36 on US News for research makes them ranked a bit higher but it's pretty negligible.

Emory is a fantastic school with a TON of money (*cough*coke*cough*) and a great hospital. But USC is also a fantastic school with a lot of money (go trojans?) and a great, brand new hospital. I don't think the facilities at Keck are run down at all, they actually have some nice buildings, even if Emory has a brand new school.

And Keck's campus is actually really nice and not scary, ghetto at all. Personally, I'd pick living in the ghetto of a nice city over living in a nice area of a ghetto city.

Personally, I'd pick living in the ghetto of a nice city over living in a nice area of a ghetto city.

That's really catchy....I like that. Yeah the 26 vs. 36 thing is really ridiculous...I hate the US world report bull****.

I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think Emory necessarily has a better reputation than USC. 26 vs 36 on US News for research makes them ranked a bit higher but it's pretty negligible.

And Keck's campus is actually really nice and not scary, ghetto at all. Personally, I'd pick living in the ghetto of a nice city over living in a nice area of a ghetto city.

I think there's more to emory than "US News Ranking".. Emory has the CDC, Yerkes Research, ACS, and many more research opportunites which makes them a great school.. and something that people should consider.. i'm not sure about usc but i'm just defending emory here

I would NOT consider Atlanta "Ghetto" ... Honestly I think it's personal preference

I think there's more to emory than "US News Ranking".. Emory has the CDC, Yerkes Research, ACS, and many more research opportunites which makes them a great school.. and something that people should consider.. i'm not sure about usc but i'm just defending emory here

I would NOT consider Atlanta "Ghetto" ... Honestly I think it's personal preference

Yerkes woot!!

I grew up in California, and I suffer from a serious case of homesickness, but I still don't think Atlanta is "ghetto." At least the sky isn't brown with smog. :laugh:

Yeah I really don't care if either of them is particularly "ghetto" I'll live whereever. But what do you guys think about the clinical exposure in each program. USC starts students at LA county 3rd week of class and then every week thereafter. I can't remember much about the clinical exposure at Emory except that fake heart murmur machine Harvey they have.... I hope thats not the extent of it. Anyone remember?

Harvey was really cool.... though very creepy.

I stayed with students at Emory who said there was a lot of options clinically for the underclassmen. Emory is pretty much the only med school in Atlanta, thus all of the doctors and hospitals and everything are open to the Emory students. It seemed that everyone in the area was very open to having med students shadow or help out.

Also, Emory's grad housing is like ClubMed. Seriously.

(^^ my attempt to be a little less biased and contribute to the conversation more evenly)

And thanks microgal, I thought it was catchy too...

Yeah I really don't care if either of them is particularly "ghetto" I'll live whereever. But what do you guys think about the clinical exposure in each program. USC starts students at LA county 3rd week of class and then every week thereafter. I can't remember much about the clinical exposure at Emory except that fake heart murmur machine Harvey they have.... I hope thats not the extent of it. Anyone remember?

One of the great things about Emory is that their curriculum is constantly changing each year... I think a few years back Emory's curriculum was very traditional and very little patient contact esp in the first two years but as far as I can see/ hear from students this year they're trying to implement more patient contact .. i've seen and know of first years students working/shadowing/ doing something at Grady this year..

With the new curriculum, I think they're trying to lessen class time to increase pbl and clinical exposure ... I think you'll be in good shape with whichever school you decide to pick! good luck w/ ur decision!

USC. It's P/NP and it's in LA. I believe Emory still has grades.