Use Committee Letter?? Advice needed !!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoldCoast1214

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Wanted to get your opinion as I start the wonderfully arduous processes of prepping my app for next cycle. My university (graduated in 2016) offers alumni the opportunity to apply for their pre-health committee in which current or prior students earn a committee letter at the end of the process. I know that this is typically super useful, but am unsure if its helpfulness still applies to those that have been out of school for a hot second like myself. I initially think that the committee letter would be helpful given the length of time since undergrad, but I don't want it to overshadow the strong letters I'll receive from the docs I currently work with.

Am I being neurotic??? Probably.

Does anyone who is in a similar situation/has experience in admissions have any advice on whether I should apply for the committee letter or not??? Any advice is appreciated!
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Friends,

Wanted to get your opinion as I start the wonderfully arduous processes of prepping my app for next cycle. My university (graduated in 2016) offers alumni the opportunity to apply for their pre-health committee in which current or prior students earn a committee letter at the end of the process. I know that this is typically super useful, but am unsure if its helpfulness still applies to those that have been out of school for a hot second like myself. I initially think that the committee letter would be helpful given the length of time since undergrad, but I don't want it to overshadow the strong letters I'll receive from the docs I currently work with.

Am I being neurotic??? Probably.

Does anyone who is in a similar situation/has experience in admissions have any advice on whether I should apply for the committee letter or not??? Any advice is appreciated!
:)

Yea a bit neurotic. The adcoms on here will tell you that letters from docs are nice but don't go as far as either your committee letter or collected letters from professors.

I too graduated in 2016 and applied this cycle. I had to explain why I didn't get a committee letter on several secondaries (my school doesn't offer it). I got strong professor lors instead and am having a successful cycle regardless, but it is definitely more convenient to have a sole committee letter rather than a collection, as some schools require more letters while others ask for a specific amount.

If I had to bet I'd say the adcoms on here would also say that committee letters go a bit further than collected professor letters too. It seems to be the preferred method for them, and carries the most weight. It won't overshadow your doc letters, but it solidifies your app more than other options.

I was out two years before I had my committee interview and everything worked out fine. My committee wanted new letters from my employer since I had been out of school for several years.

That said, you can still include your doctor LORs.