USF Masters in Medical Sciences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall. Thinking of graduating early. If I do, I was gonna go and do this program. How good is it? Has anyone done it? Did you get into MD schools? Also, how good is it if I get this degree and decide MD isn't for me? Also, if I have a high GPA (above 3.80), would it behoove me to do this program?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good program. I'm not sure what you could do with the degree if you didn't want to pursue medicine. It's not a bridge program to USF and I know many MSMS students that did NOT get into USF MCOM. It can help you, but you still need a good MCAT 508-510+ to be competitive for Florida schools.

This is a good program. I'm not sure what you could do with the degree if you didn't want to pursue medicine. It's not a bridge program to USF and I know many MSMS students that did NOT get into USF MCOM. It can help you, but you still need a good MCAT 508-510+ to be competitive for Florida schools.

Yeah I'm still gonna do well on the MCAT and everything. Would this be better? I'd be doing it during my "fourth year of undergrad", or what was going to be my fourth year of undergrad but I'm graduating early. Would it increase my chances over doing a fourth year of undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would rather focus my time and get some work experience if I were you. If your GPA is high, why would you do this? Your Masters GPA won't affect your c/sGPA used for med school at all. It might boost your app some, but so could a bunch of other things

I would rather focus my time and get some work experience if I were you. If your GPA is high, why would you do this? Your Masters GPA won't affect your c/sGPA used for med school at all. It might boost your app some, but so could a bunch of other things

I'm already working a job currently. I'll also be applying for other work positions in the summer. you don't think it'd be beneficial? I know the Masters GPA won't affect the UG GPA but it wouldn't boost my app?

I'm already working a job currently. I'll also be applying for other work positions in the summer. you don't think it'd be beneficial? I know the Masters GPA won't affect the UG GPA but it wouldn't boost my app?
I mean a lot of these masters programs are intended for people with lower GPAs. Yours is just fine. Why suffer another year studying and taking classes when you can be doing other things more meaningful? You'll be studying hard for 4 years in med school anyway

I mean a lot of these masters programs are intended for people with lower GPAs. Yours is just fine. Why suffer another year studying and taking classes when you can be doing other things more meaningful? You'll be studying hard for 4 years in med school anyway

So, would graduating early not help me out then? Bc what would I do with that one year off? I don't wanna just sit around. Would you recommend staying the fourth year of UG?

Also, what type of meaningful things? Besides a job?

I've had a lot of friends go through this program, so what I'm going to say is based on their input. The overall reactions I've gotten whenever I asked about the program were lukewarm. People said the classes were properly rigorous, and those who went on to med school said they did reflect the content in M1 classes. Be aware that these classes are separate graduate classes, not taken with the M1 class like many of the well known "SMPs", which is a negative. As far as getting into med school, the degree seems to be most valuable within the state of FL, it is not known outside. Friends have said it did not improve their MD chances as much as they would have liked, but it did help for DO. For USF COM itself, one person said a good MCAT makes a bigger difference. The degree is of little use outside lab jobs and applying to med school. It is also intended mostly as a GPA booster, so doing it with a 3.8+ is generally a waste of money.

I mean I'm assuming I'll have a 3.8 lol but I think I should. What would you recommend? Staying an extra year?

So, would graduating early not help me out then? Bc what would I do with that one year off? I don't wanna just sit around. Would you recommend staying the fourth year of UG?

Also, what type of meaningful things? Besides a job?

You can def grad early and I think it can help you. What if you became an EMT? Did scribing? Full time research?

Plenty of options. You could pick up a minor, or do some more high level science courses in the extra year. Are you graduating early because of AP/IB credits or something? Because in that case it's definitely worth retaking the science ones at the 4 year uni level, it's easy GPA padding and med schools prefer college courses over high school credit. You could scribe or do some intensive full time work and rake in money. You could do full time research. Travel if you've got the cash. Or apply early if you're feeling confident and get a head start on the MD.

Scribing sounds good. I don't want to travel, and I don't think my app will be good enough for an MD right away. That's why I planned on doing something with that final year. Would it be ok to apply during my one year off? (Fourth year)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can def grad early and I think it can help you. What if you became an EMT? Did scribing? Full time research?

EMT and scribing sounds good. Research is also a good option actually. But for one year?

Scribing sounds good. I don't want to travel, and I don't think my app will be good enough for an MD right away. That's why I planned on doing something with that final year. Would it be ok to apply during my one year off? (Fourth year)

Scribing is good. Many people apply in gap years all the time, including me. Worked just fine.

As far as the research for one year, we're talking a serious project with a possibility of a publication or good poster presentation at the end, not year-long pipetting where your hands eventually fall off.

Scribing is good. Many people apply in gap years all the time, including me. Worked just fine.

As far as the research for one year, we're talking a serious project with a possibility of a publication or good poster presentation at the end, not year-long pipetting where your hands eventually fall off.

I suppose so, yeah. Bt you'd recommend graduating early???

What if I already have that?

EMT and scribing sounds good. Research is also a good option actually. But for one year?
Yeah you'd be surprised how much you can get out in 1 year in terms of personal growth, research knowledge, and maybe even a pub if you have a good mentor that cares for you.

Yeah you'd be surprised how much you can get out in 1 year in terms of personal growth, research knowledge, and maybe even a pub if you have a good mentor that cares for you.

Yeah. See the thing is, my grad year is 2020. If I graduate early, it'd be 2019. So my application date would be the same wouldn't it?!

Why do you want to graduate early? Why do you think your application can't be ready when you graduate? If you were in school a fourth year, do you still think you would need a year off
afterward to have a strong application?

So I'm going to be a sophomore in the fall. Thinking of graduating early. If I do, I was gonna go and do this program. How good is it? Has anyone done it? Did you get into MD schools? Also, how good is it if I get this degree and decide MD isn't for me? Also, if I have a high GPA (above 3.80), would it behoove me to do this program?
Don't do it. This program is a pseudo-SMP (don't actually take med school courses with med students), but it's main intention is to remediate a low GPA, which is not a problem of yours. I'd recommend scribing.

Yeah. See the thing is, my grad year is 2020. If I graduate early, it'd be 2019. So my application date would be the same wouldn't it?!
Yeah exactly, that's my point. You can use the year to do something meaningful outside of school and still apply with your peers who would normally be in college that year with an added advantage of some cool experience.

Yeah exactly, that's my point. You can use the year to do something meaningful outside of school and still apply with your peers who would normally be in college that year with an added advantage of some cool experience.
Except OP would apply before actually doing the cool thing. Sure it looks good if you anticipate 1500 research hours at the NIH, but you won't have as much to talk about if you apply before you've even started the experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Except OP would apply before actually doing the cool thing. Sure it looks good if you anticipate 1500 research hours at the NIH, but you won't have as much to talk about if you apply before you've even started the experience.
Ahh ugh you're right. That's true. I guess it would provide for interview talk then...

Couldn't I say that I am currently doing it? Or would that be weird??

Ahh ugh you're right. That's true. I guess it would provide for interview talk then...

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards graduating early and then maybe taking that year off and applying for the following year or something. Or maybe I can enjoy because once med school starts, it becomes very hard lol

Yeah I think I'm leaning towards graduating early and then maybe taking that year off and applying for the following year or something. Or maybe I can enjoy because once med school starts, it becomes very hard lol
It's also not worth the academic risk to do the program. If you do well in the program, it won't help you because you're already fine academically (GPA >3.8). But if you do poorly, it could raise some red flags and close, rather than open doors. Do something that isn't academically risky for a year, but still benefits your application.

It's also not worth the academic risk to do the program. If you do well in the program, it won't help you because you're already fine academically (GPA >3.8). But if you do poorly, it could raise some red flags and close, rather than open doors. Do something that isn't academically risky for a year, but still benefits your application.

Yeah you're right. I actually agree. What would that be? More volunteer work or something? Bc my application cycle stays the same, I'm still applying fall 2019, so...

Not sure what I should be doing. Thinking I'll maybe volunteer, continue with research? Why not? Maybe get a job so I can say that I'm working while applying?

Yeah you're right. I actually agree. What would that be? More volunteer work or something? Bc my application cycle stays the same, I'm still applying fall 2019, so...

Not sure what I should be doing. Thinking I'll maybe volunteer, continue with research? Why not? Maybe get a job so I can say that I'm working while applying?
Volunteering and research are good. Just make sure you do something. Definitely continue to get clinical experience either via volunteering, shadowing, or a job.

Volunteering and research are good. Just make sure you do something. Definitely continue to get clinical experience either via volunteering, shadowing, or a job.

Yeah something like that. I wanted more though. Bc volunteering, shadowing and a job is stuff I already have. So like? How much would it add to have a couple more hours of it while I'm applying? What if I wrote a book or something. I really like writing

Yeah something like that. I wanted more though. Bc volunteering, shadowing and a job is stuff I already have. So like? How much would it add to have a couple more hours of it while I'm applying? What if I wrote a book or something. I really like writing
That's a personal question that only you can answer. If you write a book, it should be because you are passionate about it, not because it helps your med school application. The continuity of clinical experience is more important than the number of hours. If your numbers are good (MCAT/gpa) do something that you love during your gap year like traveling, writing a book, joining a traveling circus, whatever. It certainly doesn't hurt to show adcoms that you're a person with interests outside of medicine. If you want the cut and dry answer of "what activities will help your med school application the most?", it would be "get a first author pub in a major scientific journal, win an Olympic gold medal, and start a free clinic in a poor African village."

The masters in anatomy would be really helpful if it's still taught via cadaver.

That's a personal question that only you can answer. If you write a book, it should be because you are passionate about it, not because it helps your med school application. The continuity of clinical experience is more important than the number of hours. If your numbers are good (MCAT/gpa) do something that you love during your gap year like traveling, writing a book, joining a traveling circus, whatever. It certainly doesn't hurt to show adcoms that you're a person with interests outside of medicine. If you want the cut and dry answer of "what activities will help your med school application the most?", it would be "get a first author pub in a major scientific journal, win an Olympic gold medal, and start a free clinic in a poor African village."

Yeah I am passionate about it. Have you heard of RAM?!

No idea what that acronym stands for, other than Random Access Memory.

Lol it's rural area medicine, where you go and help out in different places. It's volunteering it's pretty cool

Lol it's rural area medicine, where you go and help out in different places. It's volunteering it's pretty cool
If you want to do it, sounds great! Could help build a strong case for wanting to practice rural medicine, if that's what you want to do.

If you want to do it, sounds great! Could help build a strong case for wanting to practice rural medicine, if that's what you want to do.

Yeah I like the idea of that. Thanks for your advice. Maybe I can even work while I'm
Applying. I'm prob not gonna go to a top 20 med school. Probably just gonna stay in state and go to a decent medical school. It's still accredited and MD so why not lol

Yeah I like the idea of that. Thanks for your advice. Maybe I can even work while I'm
Applying. I'm prob not gonna go to a top 20 med school. Probably just gonna stay in state and go to a decent medical school. It's still accredited and MD so why not lol
I'd say in-state is the best choice. Save money, and be close to home. I personally think all the prestige of top schools is overrated :p

If you're gunning for a super competitive residency at a top school, fine, go for the slight advantage you'll have over students from lesser-known schools with similar scores.
I'm at a school most people have never heard of, and I'm chillin.

I'd say in-state is the best choice. Save money, and be close to home. I personally think all the prestige of top schools is overrated :p

If you're gunning for a super competitive residency at a top school, fine, go for the slight advantage you'll have over students from lesser-known schools with similar scores.
I'm at a school most people have never heard of, and I'm chillin.

Nice man! Which one are you at? I'm in FL btw

Nice man! Which one are you at? I'm in FL btw
I'd rather not give away identifying info, but Florida has lots of public schools with high in-state preference, and even UM has a high in-state preference, so that's great for you!

I'd rather not give away identifying info, but Florida has lots of public schools with high in-state preference, and even UM has a high in-state preference, so that's great for you!

I understand lol.