Using "many technical hobbies" as a diversity essay topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rurmann

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fairly generic white guy, but am considering writing my diversity essay on how I have more hobbies than normal and like to teach people about them.
heres a quick idea of what I am getting at.
  • My ability to enrich fellow UPSOM members will be through my interest in sharing my wide variety of technical hobbies. While an undergraduate I enjoyed passing on my knowledge of astronomy, showing students the Galilean moons of Jupiter through my homemade 6 inch telescope. Ever since childhood my mother has shown me star maps and taught me about constellations and night sky objects. I even helped my astronomy club members find the Andromeda Galaxy one night. I also have been building computers since I was 9 and recently have been helping my friends build their own and troubleshoot the problems that arise. My interests go further than just building computers though and into emerging technologies that are still in prototypes, Including having followed the development of virtual reality headsets through following patents published and Technical blogs. I also followed the development of quadrotor drones and the emerging drone racing scene over the last 6 years and set up a competition at the UC with 20 contestants. In a less technical and more artistic scope,I also love sharing my passion for calligraphy since high school and have taught onlookers the basics on many occasions.
Thoughts?
other directions I can take this is
  1. living in berkeley then moving to rural southern california until highschool, then moving back.
  2. talk about my study abroad in sweden (already most meaningful on amcas though)
  3. having a twin sister and how I have had a unique view since she has always been going through the same things as I have including my fathers death.
  4. my fathers death. not mentioned in this secondary app yet, but would have to rewrite the diversity essay for schools where I have mentioned it already.

Members don't see this ad.

The hobbies sound more like activities rather than diversity experiences. I like option #1, since you had to be a part of a community different than the one you grew up in.

Agree with @gonnif that astronomy might come off as too geeky.
I like the twin angle particularly having a fraternal twin of a different gender which may have provided you with insights about how a woman approaches things. Just be sure to use the phrase "our father's death" rather than "my father" unless there is something very unusual about the paternity of you and your twin.