Using MBChB degree in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


New Member
2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2016
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a U.S. citizen, born and raised. I attended undergrad here at a pretty prestigious university but had no idea what I wanted to do upon graduation. So, I traveled around for a while before ending up in South Africa. I lived there for some time before eventually enrolling in medical school and earning my MBChB. Anyway, I'm now back in the US and really don't feel like tackling the USMLE nor do I particularly want to go into research. So, my question is: What can I do? I was mostly wondering if it would be acceptable (or legal) to open up a health/wellness consulting practice - kind of like a nutritionist. Also, what are the prospects for a career in academia like for a foreign graduate? I'd mostly just be interested in teaching a couple classes here and there at a local community college or local state university. Are there any other things I could do?

Thanks in advance for your response.


Full Member
10+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2012
Reaction score
Depending on your background you could try healthcare consulting, pharmaceutical opportunities as well. You could go into health and wellness as well I guess, maybe you could go to nutritionist school as well.

You could probably serve as a lecturer but you probably won't be making much money, those are typically dead end roles with very little opportunity for advancement.