Using Organic Chemistry as Chem Pre Req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Edification

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

This will be my first post, so thanks for looking this way :) I have been following many threads on this forum, but I have a question that I could not find an exact answer through search. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was wondering if it is possible to use Organic Chemistry as a pre-req to my chemistry core PT prerequisite on PTCAS? At my university, the course is listed as Chem 241; thus, I believe that it may still fall in the "lower division" (100-200 level courses) that PTCAS specifies.

I do realize that the instructions state: "If you have taken advanced courses in the same subject, only match the introductory or general course to the appropriate prerequisite. For instance, do not match advanced biology courses to 'Biology 1'". Long story short, I took Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2 during my freshman year and received a C in both due to abysmal study habits and lack of focus. Years later, I retook Gen Chem 2 and received an A. In the semester that I attempted to retake Gen Chem 1, I had a unfortunate motorcycle accident, missed the final lab practical, and ended up with a D-... which kills my chances of retaking Gen Chem 1 again because most physical therapy schools only allow 2 retakes. With some research, I did find schools that would accept Organic Chemistry as prerequisites, so I took the course and got an A! I am confused, however, as to how to report this on PTCAS? By the looks of most other forum posts, I noticed that everyone mentioned that Organic Chemistry is not a prerequisite or does not count as one.

I am in the process of reaching out to those universities as well to understand how they will weigh an A in Gen Chem 2 and OChem with a D- in Gen Chem 1, but I have not emailed PTCAS. If necessary, I will take Gen Chem 1 again in Spring 2016 and aim for an A, but it would be a 3rd retake.

Thank you in advance for any help! And good luck to those of you applying this cycle as well! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Ask the school. Most programs want what they state: Gen Chem. Some will allow it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for being the first response! Many of the schools that I've looked up did specifically only state Gen Chem 1 & 2; however, there were some that allowed Ochem and beyond, and I was aiming to apply to these schools. In this case, is it acceptable to put Ochem I as "Chemistry 1 with Lab" and Gen Chem II as "Chemistry 2 with Lab" on the PTCAS Core PT Prerequisite?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

This will be my first post, so thanks for looking this way :) I have been following many threads on this forum, but I have a question that I could not find an exact answer through search. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was wondering if it is possible to use Organic Chemistry as a pre-req to my chemistry core PT prerequisite on PTCAS? At my university, the course is listed as Chem 241; thus, I believe that it may still fall in the "lower division" (100-200 level courses) that PTCAS specifies.

I do realize that the instructions state: "If you have taken advanced courses in the same subject, only match the introductory or general course to the appropriate prerequisite. For instance, do not match advanced biology courses to 'Biology 1'". Long story short, I took Gen Chem 1 and Gen Chem 2 during my freshman year and received a C in both due to abysmal study habits and lack of focus. Years later, I retook Gen Chem 2 and received an A. In the semester that I attempted to retake Gen Chem 1, I had a unfortunate motorcycle accident, missed the final lab practical, and ended up with a D-... which kills my chances of retaking Gen Chem 1 again because most physical therapy schools only allow 2 retakes. With some research, I did find schools that would accept Organic Chemistry as prerequisites, so I took the course and got an A! I am confused, however, as to how to report this on PTCAS? By the looks of most other forum posts, I noticed that everyone mentioned that Organic Chemistry is not a prerequisite or does not count as one.

I am in the process of reaching out to those universities as well to understand how they will weigh an A in Gen Chem 2 and OChem with a D- in Gen Chem 1, but I have not emailed PTCAS. If necessary, I will take Gen Chem 1 again in Spring 2016 and aim for an A, but it would be a 3rd retake.

Thank you in advance for any help! And good luck to those of you applying this cycle as well! :cat:

I wouldn't bother emailing PTCAS. They will send you a generic response that often times doesn't come close to addressing your question. It almost seems as though there is a program that sends responses based on keywords in your inquiry. You'll probably end up on hold for a while but you're better off calling.

I wouldn't bother emailing PTCAS. They will send you a generic response that often times doesn't come close to addressing your question. It almost seems as though there is a program that sends responses based on keywords in your inquiry. You'll probably end up on hold for a while but you're better off calling.

Thank you for letting me know that since I haven't tried contacting PTCAS before. I'll give em a call first thing tomorrow morning.. Hopefully they're not too hungover from Labor Day and avoiding calls :p

I was in a similar position. It was my understanding you have to follow PTCAS instructions and mark the Gen Chem as your pre req. However, at the school itself, they can choose to calculate their own GPA and use your Organic chem (call them individually and get it in writing). I wouldn't bother to retake Chem 1 at this point unless you don't get in this cycle.

I was in a similar position. It was my understanding you have to follow PTCAS instructions and mark the Gen Chem as your pre req. However, at the school itself, they can choose to calculate their own GPA and use your Organic chem (call them individually and get it in writing). I wouldn't bother to retake Chem 1 at this point unless you don't get in this cycle.

Thanks for responding! The more I delve for information, the more it seems that your advice is accurate.

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1441656602.037024.jpg

From the "Core Prerequisite" section on PTCAS, it seems like PTCAS just wants to make its own pGPA for me irregardless of the exact specifications of any college, so I presume that they would just want my Gen Chem 1 grade.

May I ask you in your situation how that affected your application? If I were to put Gen Chem 1 grades (C and D-), would that disqualify my application since it is not a C for the core prerequisite?

In my case, the first time I took Chem II, I got an F. I then retook Chem II and got an A but it was an online course (so not every school took it as a pre req). I also had taken Orgo a long time ago and gotten a C+ I believe. So....I had to mark both of the Chem IIs are pre reqs. But because some of the schools wouldn't accept the online Chemistry II retake, I also had to check with a few schools...they OK'd taking Orgo in place of that course. I still couldn't mark the Orgo as as pre req though on PTCAS.

Did you take Orgo I and II? Just curious as that will really help your case.

The good news is that you made the minimum required grade in Chem I (the C). So, no, you won't be disqualified there...the only impact is your pre req GPA will look low when PTCAS calculates it. You have to contact your schools directly and ask how they will treat your grade calculation. Talk to someone specifically about your situation and also get it in writing (ask for an email to save for your records or something.) Even if you found the Orgo retake information online, i would still call and double check and get it in writing. Then you need to address this chemistry issue in the PTCAS section about coursework not reflecting your capabilities. Once you've checked with the schools, I would phrase this section along the lines of "I had an accident in Chem II.....working with my designated schools, I elected to take Orgo (or my undergrad school advised me) to demonstrate my chemistry understanding....check out my awesome grade....This was Ok'd by the school (or various schools)...blah blah".

Finally, don't hesitate to calls schools that you think won't accept Orgo for G Chem. It's worth asking. I had a lot of luck using higher classes as substitutions in my case even if it wasn't on the website. It's just a phone call and then at least you will know.

Reactions: 1 user
In my case, the first time I took Chem II, I got an F. I then retook Chem II and got an A but it was an online course (so not every school took it as a pre req). I also had taken Orgo a long time ago and gotten a C+ I believe. So....I had to mark both of the Chem IIs are pre reqs. But because some of the schools wouldn't accept the online Chemistry II retake, I also had to check with a few schools...they OK'd taking Orgo in place of that course. I still couldn't mark the Orgo as as pre req though on PTCAS.

Did you take Orgo I and II? Just curious as that will really help your case.

The good news is that you made the minimum required grade in Chem I (the C). So, no, you won't be disqualified there...the only impact is your pre req GPA will look low when PTCAS calculates it. You have to contact your schools directly and ask how they will treat your grade calculation. Talk to someone specifically about your situation and also get it in writing (ask for an email to save for your records or something.) Even if you found the Orgo retake information online, i would still call and double check and get it in writing. Then you need to address this chemistry issue in the PTCAS section about coursework not reflecting your capabilities. Once you've checked with the schools, I would phrase this section along the lines of "I had an accident in Chem II.....working with my designated schools, I elected to take Orgo (or my undergrad school advised me) to demonstrate my chemistry understanding....check out my awesome grade....This was Ok'd by the school (or various schools)...blah blah".

Finally, don't hesitate to calls schools that you think won't accept Orgo for G Chem. It's worth asking. I had a lot of luck using higher classes as substitutions in my case even if it wasn't on the website. It's just a phone call and then at least you will know.

I only took Ochem I just last semester, and contemplated about taking Ochem II for this semester, but I figured the risks of getting anything below an A outweighed the benefits that the course would offer me in my PT application. Was I wrong in thinking so? I figured at the time that I already had an A for Gen Chem II (retake) and an A for Ochem I and that I would use those two courses to satisfy my 2 semesters of Chemistry Prerequisite.

However, upon applying I saw where this may pose a problem with PTCAS. I am definitely going to take your advice about contacting the schools directly and asking about substituting an A in Ochem I for the low grade in Gen Chem I. Sadly, I got a C the first time around in Gen Chem I, which would have been acceptable, but my repeat ended up being a D- due to the unfortunate circumstances... At my school, the repeat replaces the grade on my transcript, which is why I wonder if I'm out of luck now for the PTCAS pGPA :bang:. I know many schools recalculate pGPA, and I'll have to confirm that via phone/email with the schools I am applying for that I'm still an eligible applicant.

In reference to your scenario again, may I ask if you were exempt from Chem I? You essentially had to confirm with your designated schools that they accepted the online Chem II repeat as well as Ochem I for their particular pGPA calculation, right? And even if they did, you still had to put both of your semesters of Chem II (an F and an A) for the PTCAS chemistry pre req, correct?

Thank you again for taking the time to give such a detailed response to my inquiry! :biglove:

I wouldn't take Orgo II now....it was just a question to understand your situation more.

Yes, in my case, some of my schools took Orgo I as "chem I". And some of my schools took the online Chem I retake. And yes, I still had to put them all in my pre req PTCAS designation.

Contact the schools....some schools will take the highest grade you've earned in the class. If you don't get in this cycle, it may be a good idea to just plan to retake it. It may also open up some admission options for you. Keep the board posted.