USMLE images

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
68 yo male patient presents to your clinic with postprandial pain. X-ray below, whats the dx?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,063
Members don't see this ad :)
keqPj47.jpg

1. what hormone drives this tumor
2. which other neoplasms produce a similar histology finding

Members don't see this ad :)
any good source/link to better learn ecg/ekg...i didn't know the answer to the one on the previous page. don't want to miss these questions on the real deal.

congrats on your score btw.

Much thx
I dont know a good source for ekgs but i got some lectures of one indian guy who gives lectures on it and its quite good for step 2 i guess

1. TSH?
2. Serous papillary cystadenoma of the ovary, Meningioma, Mesothelioma.

my fault on the poor question.

1. estrogen for meningioma
2. :thumbup: brah, and don't forget Papillary carcinoma of the thyroid

PSMMoma bodies - even though it's spelled wrong
Papillary carcinoma of thyroid
Serous pap cystadenoma
Meningio
Mesothe

Lady comes in with pain when she eats. Decide to do a blood smear and see this. Dx?

HEME007.jpg

Just wondering, how were you guys able to associate rouleaux with high ESR?

In first aid, I only see it mentioned one time in the end section where it just talks about high yield points.

Did y'all just remember it from class or something?

Morning y'all!
34 y/o male presents w/ hemoptysis+cough+hematuria. see lung MRI. antibodies against which protein are likely to be elevated in this pt's serum?

Attachments

• lungmri.jpg
    lungmri.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 185
Just wondering, how were you guys able to associate rouleaux with high ESR?

In first aid, I only see it mentioned one time in the end section where it just talks about high yield points.

Did y'all just remember it from class or something?

General pathology section of FA

Morning y'all!
34 y/o male presents w/ hemoptysis+cough+hematuria. see lung MRI. antibodies against which protein are likely to be elevated in this pt's serum?

alpha3 chain of collagen iv?

EDIT: wow nevermind at my last edit, i hope no one saw that lol

yeah i knew that temporal arteritis causes increased ESR.

i guess my understanding isn't enough to automatically associate a high erythrocyte sedimentation rate with rouleaux formation haha

Anytime we have inflammation, the liver makes a lot of fibrinogen and other "acute phase reactants". This fibrinogen is positively charged so when it goes out into the bloodstream and mixes with the negatively charged RBC, it causes them to clump around it and we get that stacked rouleaux appearance.

yeah i knew that temporal arteritis causes increased ESR.

i guess my understanding isn't enough to automatically associate a high erythrocyte sedimentation rate with rouleaux formation haha

Just think about what ESR actually means..... rate of RBC settling at the bottom of a tube; when rouleaux occurs.. the RBCs stick together and becoming heavier... and more will sink faster to the bottom of the tube, ala higher sedimentation rate.

Alport is alpha 5 - I'm thinking he's on the tip of goodpastures!

kinda and kinda not...need a bit more info on the question. keep in mind goodpasture's also does affect the lungs, specifically the alveoli. it can be antibodies against the basement membrane or getting a bit more info it could be antibodies against neutrophils.

which one is it brah?

Good point!

No he doesn't have Goodpastures, not with this type of MRI. Another hint: He has sinusitis and otitis media.

the only thing jumping out to me is c-ANCA.. it's screaming "pick me" "pick me" lol but it doesn't explain the otitis media (unless the otitis media is caused by the sinusitis)

Rouleaux? can be elevated protein or ESR, so...temporal arteritis?

nice job dude...keep it up. :thumbup:

next Q for the class...

1. what is this condition associated with, with respect to that organ?
2. causes of this in adults?

GI15a.jpg

the only thing jumping out to me is c-ANCA.. it's screaming "pick me" "pick me" lol

Yes it is Wegners and yes they have c-ANCA antibodies, you're almost there.
Against which specific cellular protein/structure are these antibodies made?

Yes it is Wegners and yes they have c-ANCA antibodies, you're almost there.
Against which specific cellular protein/structure are these antibodies made?

oh lol... it's proteinase 3 (i just added this to my first aid yesterday from a uworld question).

Although this question isn't hinting at pauci-immune mediated cresentic GN.. in that case, it would be P-ANCA (anti-myeloperoxidase)...I cheated on this one..

oh lol... it's proteinase 3 (i just added this to my first aid yesterday from a uworld question).

Although this question isn't hinting at pauci-immune mediated cresentic GN.. in that case, it would be P-ANCA (anti-myeloperoxidase)...I cheated on this one..

CORRECT!
It's c-ANCA (wegners is associated with RPGN), not p-ANCA

Pt presents with seizure, glaucoma and a red stain distributed along the trigeminal nerve pathway. What could possibly explain this pt's volume pressure loop?
(pardon the image's quality, my phone is retiring after the usmle)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 210
Right but what is it about struge weber that makes the patient have an increase in preload and a decrease in afterload?

Decreased cross sectional area due to arterioles being non-compliant?

I'm horrible with vasculitis/heart so this is a complete shot in the dark