USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

My study strategy:
4 weeks of studying UWorld, making Anki cards off of concepts I feel I needed to memorize (about 100-150 cards/day). On most days I was behind on cards, but I still think it proved useful. UpToDate for confusing concepts. Step 2 Secrets was pretty useless to me, but I think if I had 5-6 weeks it could have been useful.

I did UWSA 1.5 weeks out and got a 265. I did not do any of the NBME subject exams during this period. I have done probably 1/2 of them during third year though.

Score: 267

EDIT: Overall happy with the score. Impressed by how accurate UWSA is.

How did you feel stepping out of the exam?

Do you hear back via email? Or just have to keep checking the website?
I'm not sure, still waiting for my score and can't remember if I got an email about my Step 1 score. If it isn't on the site by this evening then it means at least another week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How did you feel stepping out of the exam?

It felt similar to my UWSA. There was much more consistency between UWorld and the real thing for step 2 compared to step 1. I walked out expecting a similar score to my practice test

If I take the exam after July 11th, do the scores come out the September 22nd, and so on and so on? Wondering when I'll get my scores if I take it by the first week of August.

How happy am I? I finished CK yesterday and didn't know if I should cry or do a dance...WOW...I am so glad that is over...Now, the question is how well did I do?
The exam seemed very similar to Uworld...
I started studying 8 weeks ago...made it through Uworld 1.5x, did MTB and onlinemeded.org numerous times, Also, did all the NBME available and did horrible on all of them...but the real thing did not seem as difficult as those...and felt a lot better than on Step 1...Step 1 I was a nervous wreck...
I felt my exam had a lot of questions on OB, Psych, Endocrine and Peds, epidemiology and only one case study(I spent way too much time on trying to decode)..but, with 393 questions it all starts to run together...
Timing has always been an issue for me on these exams...But, I found I had less questions I needed to rush through than on Step 1....I had about 5 to 7 questions that required me to answer quickly...

Overall, I felt it was okay...Now, believing for a high enough school to get the residency I want; which at this point is up in the air....I just want a job next June...Perhaps Family Med or Internal...I can always do a fellowship afterwards...

I admire all you guys that are getting 250's 260's...Congratulations!

Best wishes everyone...

Reactions: 1 users
Step 2: 274
Step 1: 254

I think my approach to studying during M3 year helped. I outlined 1-2 books for each shelf and supplemented the outlines with new info from Uworld. During my study period, I used First Aid for Step 2 and Uworld, but FA was not as comprehensive as my shelf resources had been. There was no time to reread those books (although I did redo Petastana - it was quick and worth it), but with my outlines I could quickly restudy all the material that I'd deemed high yield before. So I'd definitely recommend outlining/taking notes throughout M3 year. It was a pain and took a lot of time, but it paid off.

Also, don't be afraid to give yourself more time than the standard 2-4 weeks. I spent 5 weeks for Step 2 (while doing a very light elective) and 6 weeks for Step 1. For me, more time meant I could go slow and process everything fully. Maybe I would have had the same scores with less time, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

I think my approach to studying during M3 year helped. I outlined 1-2 books for each shelf and supplemented the outlines with new info from Uworld. During my study period, I used First Aid for Step 2 and Uworld, but FA was not as comprehensive as my shelf resources had been. There was no time to reread those books (although I did redo Petastana - it was quick and worth it), but with my outlines I could quickly restudy all the material that I'd deemed high yield before. So I'd definitely recommend outlining/taking notes throughout M3 year. It was a pain and took a lot of time, but it paid off.

Also, don't be afraid to give yourself more time than the standard 2-4 weeks. I spent 5 weeks for Step 2 (while doing a very light elective) and 6 weeks for Step 1. For me, more time meant I could go slow and process everything fully. Maybe I would have had the same scores with less time, but I doubt it.
WOw....that is awesome..Congratulations...I wish I had a brain and test taking skills like yours...totally awesome...God job!

Congrats on your awesome score.
I'd love to know your strategy in those 5 weeks like what was your daily study schedule like etc. My step 1 is very similar to yours and I have around 6 weeks. I am planning to stick with UW and MTBs.

Took Step2 CK on 7/9 and all I can say is WOW. Some stems were 15-20 lines of test....then labs....then the actual question. Like seriously by the end of that test I was so exhausted that I couldn't even focus enough to read the questions. Definitely fatigue was an issue. Much longer questions that any shelf/UW/NBME. Ran out of time on one block and had to guess at the last 3-4Qs...felt demoralized at that point.

The questions were a mix of everything really. Some were testing obscurities, some were straight forward for the Dx but then the answer choices were incredibly difficult to chose between. Other times none of the answer choices would seem right. So touchy feely overall like multiple choices could be right but what does this specific situation being presented require. Sometimes the question would ask what is most likely to get the diagnosis and the answer isn't therefore the best INITIAL step but the most ACCURATE step (at least thats what I was going with, lol) Some Step1-esque questions about genes involved in AML, alzheimers, etc. 1 abstract and I do not remember any drug ads. Lots of two part questions where you have to lock in your initial choice. Had other USMLE goodies like alports, wegeners, specific histology behind XYZ glomerulonephropathy, CGD. Surgery questions were mostly straightforward. Psych questions were mostly straightforwards but a few were like WTF is it this or that lol b/c theyre splitting hairs on the diagnosis. The interactive media questions like heart sounds and lung sounds were mostly not that hard....you have correlate the sound you hear with the question and its usually like an ASD or bibasillar crackles for CHF for example. Didn't really see any zebras for those questions...(unless it was totally over my head). Biostats was straight forward like NNT calc and something else I forget. Ethics was ethics....either so absurdly easy or just like I have absolutely no idea.

My sentiments are with everyone else where I thought that I was prepared, but going through question after question of that test shakes the confidence definitely. I literally have no clue what my score could possibly be. I left the testing center thinking I bombed....still think I bombed and ruminate over questions that I realize I missed. Hoping for the best as I really wanted to make up for some lost ground on step 1. I really have no clue how to prepare for some of those Qs lol....

I will post score in a few weeks with comments. GL everyone waiting for scores and to those who are studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
WOw....that is awesome..Congratulations...I wish I had a brain and test taking skills like yours...totally awesome...God job!

Thank you! I'm generally good at memorization and tests, but it definitely took a lot of work. I didn't have much of a life outside of school third year. Still, a lot of people devote just as many hours, if not more, and don't get the same results. I do feel very lucky that it paid off.

Congrats on your awesome score.
I'd love to know your strategy in those 5 weeks like what was your daily study schedule like etc. My step 1 is very similar to yours and I have around 6 weeks. I am planning to stick with UW and MTBs.

Sure, I benefited a lot from reading about other people's experiences, happy to pay it forward. I started by roughly figuring out how many days I wanted to spend per subject. Then I started studying with the subjects that had the most uworld questions, prioritizing the ones that I hadn't seen most recently. On a given day, I'd read First Aid, read my shelf outlines, and work through uworld - my second pass since I'd done it once during M3 year. For other resources, I redid Pestana for surgery - I felt that uworld and first aid were not comprehensive enough. I also reviewed the First Aid for Step 1 chapter on biostats, I thought it was better than the FA Step 2 chapter.

Reviewing the subject before doing questions was important for me - starting with questions is too disjointed for me. I like to use the questions to identify and fill in gaps in knowledge. After I read my review materials, I did the bulk of uworld for that subject, until I felt like I had a good sense of it. Then I'd move on to the next subject, but since I'd left some uworld questions from earlier subjects, I could also do some mixed blocks of material I'd reviewed. This was most helpful for subjects with overlap, like cardio and respiratory. Sometimes just knowing I was doing a respiratory block could steer me away from all of the cardiac answer choices. Doing some mixed blocks minimized this. The days that I spent per subject varied depending on how much I remembered from M3. Sometimes it took me 1.5 days to review before doing questions, maybe even longer. Though they weren't always full days, in retrospect I probably studied nearly 4 full weeks.

I flagged any question in uworld that I wanted to see again. Sometimes this meant I'd gotten the question wrong, but not necessarily. My first pass of uworld M3 year was maybe 81-83%, I don't remember exactly. My second pass was 91%. After my second pass, I redid all of the flagged questions.

I tend to be a big note taker, and my old notes definitely came in handy as I said above. I've posted them below as google docs for anyone who would like them, along with the books I used for each shelf. The outlines took ages to make, so if anyone gets any extra mileage from them, that makes me feel even better about the time. During Step 2 study I refused to let myself outline, knowing it would take too long. But I did keep a table of quick facts to review for each subject - things I didn't know or didn't know well. I limited most of my info to the content of the summary paragraphs in uworld, so that I wouldn't get too bogged down in details. I posted them in the google link - not sure if they'll be helpful for others since they were so tailored to my knowledge base, but maybe you can use them for an example. I found this really helpful in the few days before the exam.

TEST DAY:
As for the day of the test, I actually left feeling pretty good. I figured I'd do well, but I didn't have a score prediction. I never did any NMBEs because I felt like they'd just take away study time. They seem most useful for people who have trouble with time management on tests, and that wasn't really an issue for me. On shelves I always took the full time, but usually because I was reviewing some or all of my answers. On test day, I wouldn't let myself obsess over a question. I had seven 44 question blocks and one 42 block. I spent maybe 90 seconds max, flagged and moved on. I had enough time at the end to review most of my flagged questions. The stems were long but had a lot of filler (e.g., a long list of normal vitals or irrelevant medical history). I read the end of the question first and skimmed answer choices before reading the whole thing.

I felt like most of the questions were straightforward, not meant to be trick questions. The presentations were classic, with generally no inconsistent symptoms. The closest thing to a trick question was that once I had to recognize that a baby was immune compromised when choosing a likely diagnosis for respiratory infection. The clues were that the baby's family had immigrated from a third world country and mom had died from one of the classic AIDS opportunistic infections, like disseminated MAC. So from that, I knew that the baby probably had HIV/AIDS. Maybe there were other trick questions and I missed them, who knows. You definitely can miss a number of questions and still did well. I completely guessed on maybe 2-5 per section, and I know that I was completely wrong twice. Once I was given a classic presentation of mono and basically had to distinguish it from strep. I mixed up the region of cervical lymphadenopathy for the two, and based on that alone, I chose strep. This was even though they showed a photo of an atypical lymphocyte. I realized I had no idea what an atypical lymphocyte actually looked like, and thought maybe this was a trick question with a normal lymphocyte. Later at home I realized that I had mixed up on the lymph node distribution, the question was completely straightforward. The point it, don't hang your hat on just one detail in the question. If 90% of the picture fits, go with that diagnosis.

My biostats questions were straight from First Aid for Step 1. I didn't have any drug ads, thank god.

REVIEW MATERIALS:
Here are my shelf outlines, "flashcard" notes for step 2, and a list of the resources I used for the shelves:

• Surgery: Mostly Pestana, some NMS case files, random useless resources like online lectures. My outline was not good for this rotation because I hadn't quite figured out how to study yet. I was going into too much detail, using too many different sources.
  • Neuro: I used this book and really liked it: Amazon product. It's actually a relatively quick read. I outlined the crap out of it and did uworld, along with a computer program on different neuro tracts that is only available at my school.
  • Family Med: I did case files, but I didn't like it because it felt very scattered. I'm not sure what would have been better.
  • Peds: Case files, pretest. I outlined the crap out of casefiles and it was very useful for step 2 review - First Aid and Uworld didn't have enough depth, but there was no time to reread an entire peds book.
  • Medicine: I outlined Step Up to Medicine. This was a huge undertaking, I did it over our weeks long winter break. I would definitely recommend scheduling the medicine rotation over a block that has vacation time mixed in, as there is just so much material it's nice to have the option to study some over vacation.
  • Ob/gyn: Case Files and ACOG uwise, I outlined a ton from both. I also did some online modules about urogyn issues (prolapse, etc) that were helpful.
  • Psych: First Aid for psych. I didn't outline that much because there was much less material than for other shelves and it's pretty straightforward. It was important to know diagnostic criteria for major mental illness - e.g., SIG E CAPS for depression, DIG FAST for mania.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Sure this has been asked a million times, but about how long does it take for scores?

I have a little over 20% of UWorld left (most IM questions) and have gotten really burnt out at this point. Hoping to get over a 245 on Step 2 (so that at least it's not a drop from my Step 1 score). Is it a bad idea to just take it without finishing UWorld? Have people here even tried taking it without finishing UWorld (if so, what was their experience)?

I have a little over 20% of UWorld left (most IM questions) and have gotten really burnt out at this point. Hoping to get over a 245 on Step 2 (so that at least it's not a drop from my Step 1 score). Is it a bad idea to just take it without finishing UWorld? Have people here even tried taking it without finishing UWorld (if so, what was their experience)?
take a day or two off and just relax then get back to the grind. [It happened to me last week so I took all of yesterday off and it helps] Don't make no excuses for yourself or kick yourself test day. Push through this!
I know two people who only completed 70% uworld roughly and scored in the low 220s.

My scheduling permit link is gone, so Im assuming this means ill get my score this Wed. If I do, ill come back and post a brief exam experience with NBME scores. Good luck to those waiting along with me.

My scheduling permit link is gone, so Im assuming this means ill get my score this Wed. If I do, ill come back and post a brief exam experience with NBME scores. Good luck to those waiting along with me.

when did you take the exam?

I second the advice to take a day off and then get back to it. Figure out how many questions you have to do each day and make that your goal - you can do it! Not finishing means leaving points on the table. You might still do well (I got a 254 on step 1 with 400 questions left), but you probably wouldn't get your best possible score. You'd end up wondering if you could have done better - and if things really don't go well, not finishing uworld could end up being a big regret.

TEST DAY:.
As for the day of the test, I actually left feeling pretty good. I figured I'd do well, but I didn't have a score prediction. I never did any NMBEs because I felt like they'd just take away study time.

(I got a 254 on step 1 with 400 questions left),

lol wut. I don't even know you, but I hate you. :annoyed:
jk obviously, amazing scores and thanks for posting all that info. I never really got why people just came here to post their score and then bounce, never to use SDN again... that helps no one.

I rarely use reddit and just read a post on there... so guessing that's you also. good luck with everything... glad you aren't applying my cycle!

lol wut. I don't even know you, but I hate you. :annoyed:
jk obviously, amazing scores and thanks for posting all that info. I never really got why people just came here to post their score and then bounce, never to use SDN again... that helps no one.

I rarely use reddit and just read a post on there... so guessing that's you also. good luck with everything... glad you aren't applying my cycle!

Ha, thank you! If it's any consolation, I studied a ton M1-M3, didn't do much else other than taking weekend nights off and working out when I could. Also, the reason I didn't finish uworld for step 1 was because I went so damn slow, not for lack of hours - I spent 6 weeks!

Yup, I did post on reddit - I've gained a lot from advice on SDN and reddit, and wanted to pay it forward. Plus making the outlines took ages, it feels good if others can get some mileage from them, too.

I'm taking my exam on August 20th. I was going to start with a NBME next Monday and gauge my progress. My question is, which NBME should I start with. I was going to end with UWSA. Should I do take the free 150 as well at the Prometric Center?

Is there a go-to book that people use for Step2? For example, something on the same level as First Aid was used by many students for Step1?
Also, is it beneficial to use said book throughout clinical rotations?

Did the UWSA as a baseline before starting studying. I know it's supposed to be relatively predictive, but I thought it was a good starting point because it gives explanations and I thought I could learn more from that. It also seemed way too straight forward to be anything like the real deal but I can't really speak to that.

Great work! Bonus points for the classic screen name too! Slamming roommate!

Did the UWSA as a baseline before starting studying. I know it's supposed to be relatively predictive, but I thought it was a good starting point because it gives explanations and I thought I could learn more from that. It also seemed way too straight forward to be anything like the real deal but I can't really speak to that.

I too started with the UWSA, and there wasn't a single study resource that was like the real examination. Generally the complexity of questions are much greater - its never as simple as the 'first step in diagnosis'. Everyone's experience is different, but I just don't see how some think that the actual CK exam was nearly identical to UWSA.

I'm taking my exam on August 20th. I was going to start with a NBME next Monday and gauge my progress. My question is, which NBME should I start with. I was going to end with UWSA. Should I do take the free 150 as well at the Prometric Center?
I did NBME 1 as its the oldest. People have told me that doing the free 150 helped, one person had 3 duplicates on their real deal.

I did NBME 1 as its the oldest. People have told me that doing the free 150 helped, one person had 3 duplicates on their real deal.

I remember on Step 1 there were 3-4 verbatim duplicates from the Free 150 I did 2 days prior. While it was nice to answer quickly and confidently, they were all easier questions that I would have gotten correct regardless.

Is there a go-to book that people use for Step2? For example, something on the same level as First Aid was used by many students for Step1?
Also, is it beneficial to use said book throughout clinical rotations?

Nope, Step 2 is much more about preparing for the more detailed shelf exams throughout the year so that you are ready to sit for the more generalized Step 2 with only a few weeks of dedicated review and questions. Most will tell you Uworld is the best overall resource but I think reading the right resources as you prep for shelves is critical in helping you build the foundation you need to succeed on a test that at most schools you will have only a couple weeks of dedicated prep time, if any. Of course the "right" resources are going to be different for everyone, the hardest thing about third year was finding the resources that worked best for me.

Took it June 23rd, permit link is still available (but when I click on it I get an error message, "Application error: Permit is not available. The candidate may have sat for the exam or the registration is no longer active." Does this mean I'm waiting another week for my score? Really wanted to get it back this week...

Nope, Step 2 is much more about preparing for the more detailed shelf exams throughout the year so that you are ready to sit for the more generalized Step 2 with only a few weeks of dedicated review and questions. Most will tell you Uworld is the best overall resource but I think reading the right resources as you prep for shelves is critical in helping you build the foundation you need to succeed on a test that at most schools you will have only a couple weeks of dedicated prep time, if any. Of course the "right" resources are going to be different for everyone, the hardest thing about third year was finding the resources that worked best for me.

So when studying for Step 2, would one then return to the resources she or he had used?

So when studying for Step 2, would one then return to the resources she or he had used?

No. Only because you won't have enough time, and shelf resources are way to detailed for what step 2 will test. It would be like going back and reviewing all of your biochem notes for step 1. Most schools give you 2-4 weeks tops so you have to use that judiciously. Best thing you can do to score well on step 2 is to prepare well during third year. Get Uworld at the start and do the questions that correlate with each shelf. Do the Uwise questions for OBGYN and AAFP questions for Family Med. Read your preferred books for each rotation and my best advice is to make a notebook or spreadsheet of facts you don't know. It will very long but doing that from your reading and uworld will give you a great study guide. At the end of the year reset uworld and do it again, bang through your study guide as many times as possible and if necessary go back and review parts of your shelf books. I found USMLE secrets sorta helpful as a last minute review, other people have other things they will recommend and your school might have something they want you to do. No secret formula unfortunately, you just have to figure out what works for you and do it. A lot.

I remember on Step 1 there were 3-4 verbatim duplicates from the Free 150 I did 2 days prior. While it was nice to answer quickly and confidently, they were all easier questions that I would have gotten correct regardless.
ya plus it had me saying as I walked out: ok I know I at least got 2/354 lol!

My experience with USMLE Step 2 CK.<br /><br />I read Step up to USMLE step 2 CK, MTB step 2, and step 3 (for OBGYN and PEDS), Uworld (one time through) with score of 68% although I changed some answers from incorrect to correct so I don't know if that effects the percentage.<br />NBME 1-4: averaged about missing 30- 40 questions which comes out to be about 220-230<br />An NBME form my school gave: two digit score was 76.<br />NBME form 7: kicked my butt 490/230<br /><br />USMLE step 2CK: TBA<br /><br />Exam experience: The day before I took the exam, I stopped studying at 12pm and went to a bar to watch the Stanley Cup Finals (Congrats Chicago). I went to a Starbucks around 630am and reviewed for like 20 min the stuff I was weak on (OBGYN and PEDS) then I enjoyed my peach tea. Even though I felt I prepared enough for the exam, once I got there, the questions just seemed vague and like my mind was a fog. Overall I felt like I guessed on like 40% of the test LOL. I'm not too worried though because I trust my prep was good enough (hopefully). I took multiple breaks throughout the exam and ate some frikken good hummus with cucumber and tomatoes, bought a monster midway through, and just tried to not think about the test.<br /><br />FYI: My mindset about tests is that its just another document you have to fill out to get through medical school. "Just sign your name" and move on kind of thing. Helps me deal with the stress involved with it.

I just got my score back.
Took it June 16

Step 2ck: 230

Phew!

Pretty much the same score as step 1: 232

Sat 6/18

Step1: 255
Step2: 273

In order: UWSA- 264, nbme4- 263, nbme6- 269, nbme7 (1week before)- 256

Did all clinical mastery tests.
U world twice
Passively did usmlerx which got annoying so I stopped and realized just doing uworld, nbmes, up to date and anki to consolidate everything.

Walked out of test feeling better than step 1 but more uncomfortable as days went on as expected. Overall the stem length of the questions isn't as bad as everyone makes it out, it averages out to a little longer than uworld.

Hi all
Have a question about CMS. Does th IM CMS give a profile or do you just get to look at your wrong answers?
Thanks
Good luck to those waiting for results.

@PathologyApplicant-DO @Frozengrapes bummer!! I was so hoping it would come out today. @Erek94 what time did your score report come out today? I figure since you took it after the Wednesday of your week we may be in the same reporting batch and maybe there's still some hope to get it today.
I got an email around 10am central time saying it would be out after 12 central and it showed up like 20 min later