USP or Rutgers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nd110491

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Philadelphia College of Pharmacy or
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy

Which is a better choice?
People know PCP more because of tradition, history etc.
It is smaller, so closer interaction among people

EMSOP at Rutgers is extremely hard to get into for out of state applicants
But there are alot of pharmaceutical companies around Jersey.

Which is a better option do you think??
BTW I am a high school senior applying,
thank you in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

This applies to any college decision, but...go visit the schools. I can almost guarantee you that one will feel better to you than the other. There's only so much you can glean from what everyone tells you, the biggest thing is how you feel when you're there, how you fit in and where the school will take you, specifically, both academically and personally.

This applies to any college decision, but...go visit the schools. I can almost guarantee you that one will feel better to you than the other. There's only so much you can glean from what everyone tells you, the biggest thing is how you feel when you're there, how you fit in and where the school will take you, specifically, both academically and personally.

I've been to both places over the summer, and really liked them both.
It is hard to tell which ones slightly better for me from one day I visited.

I just want to know which one is a better school
from students who are familiar with these pharmacy schools!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I checked out USP 2 months ago and loved it! Great tour of the campus. They showed a new lab, lecture hall, and facilities. On the flip side, I have heard that there is a disconnect between professors and students but im only taking it with a grain of salt.

I've applied as a first year transfer. Already have graduated with a bachelors in poli sci but after working for 3 years in finance looking to switch careers.

Anyone whose applied hear back?

Rex

I'm not sure which would be better, but USP is a sure thing. Once you're in (and make the gpa cutoff), you're in the professional program. I believe Rutgers is different where you actually have to compete with other (mainly Rutgers) students to get in. If that is true, USP might be better just for the added security.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this one, guys.

Hi.
I go to USP, and I believe that both USP and Rutgers have the "security" of a 6-year program (don't know how long this will hold true for, with both schools).

Just to give you an idea, USP has a lot of Jersey people that didn't get into Rutgers. Those people in my year account for a little less than half of my class.

I have heard from people that go to USP who have friends at Rutgers that Rutgers is more stressful (can't imagine, since USP is stressful enough). I have also heard on this board that they have no labs at all at RU. A bit strange.

A bunch of USP professors left this year to teach at Jeff, and I haven't experienced the new ones yet. Starting my year, the program has improved in the fact that P&T is over 2 years, not 1, just like in most other pharm. schools. Philly is a good city with a lot of things to do as long as you're not afraid to go explore, but a lot of these people at USP have some kind of an anti-fun mentality.

Yeah it's a small school, but it's also a big program, with classes of 300. So far, however, I have not seen anything wrong with these classes, since on any given day half the class doesn't show up anyway, so there is still time for some questions. As in any school, there are professors that are pretty good and professors that you have no idea why they chose to teach (that are very good researchers, just horrible teachers).

Here you can also pick up a minor along with your PharmD in whatever you're interested in. I'm a stat minor and know a few people that are business, math or even psych minors. Starting this year there is also an honors program, which apparently has big grants allotted for it to do activities for the honors students (I heard trips to Florida and places like that are in planning for them) and they get book money.

The school has done some shady things. For example it keeps changing our curriculum so we don't exactly know what our grad. requirements are (though, of course, it doesn't change it retroactively, that is illegal). The meal plan here is crap and you have to get it if you dorm. my 2nd year I lived above the cafeteria and we had a huge mouse problem and I only saw it fixed after I told ResLife that I would call the health inspector.

Finally for anyone else who has this question (I've reiterated this many times to separate people), USP is not a good school to apply to if you're not trying to enroll as a freshman. They will most likely not take you. There is a transfer policy, but that is just to take money from unsuspecting applicants.

I know a few people who graduated from either of those schools, and they all seem to be acceptably prepared. I am not familiar with the rotational structure at USP, and I am not sure when they went all-PharmD, but Rutgers went all PharmD very recently, and their offering of rotations and the process for their selection is somewhat lacking compared to many schools that have done PharmD for a lot longer. I would say that the feel of a place, the location, the cost, and the rotations are the factors on which to base your choice. The curricula are very similar between different pharmacy schools, and the opportunities for employment are very similar too, with the rotations you have done being the biggest differentiating factor. :)

if ure indian, usp
if anything else, rutgers

if ure indian, usp
if anything else, rutgers

Really? I heard there are even more Indians at Rutgers than USP. Yeah we're called the "University of Shahs and Patels", but it's only like 30% Indian, there are plenty of other ethnicities here.

Really? I heard there are even more Indians at Rutgers than USP. Yeah we're called the "University of Shahs and Patels", but it's only like 30% Indian, there are plenty of other ethnicities here.

hahaha...i m an indian and I go to EMSOP rutgers...yeh I heard of USP being called as "University of Shahs and Patels", But there are a LOT of indians at rutgers too...so trying to figure out a name for EMSOP...