USUHS acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website. I am currently a senior in college. I am also a reservist (medical tech) in the military. I would like to have some advice about getting into usuhs. My gpa is a 3.4. However, I am planning to do a post bacc before I start applying. I am currently doing research in ecology and evolution at my school. I have alot of volunteer experience both medical and non medical related. What can I do to better my chances at this point? I would like some feedback please. Especially if you got into usuhs or any other medical school. Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this website. I am currently a senior in college. I am also a reservist (medical tech) in the military. I would like to have some advice about getting into usuhs. My gpa is a 3.4. However, I am planning to do a post bacc before I start applying. I am currently doing research in ecology and evolution at my school. I have alot of volunteer experience both medical and non medical related. What can I do to better my chances at this point? I would like some feedback please. Especially if you got into usuhs or any other medical school. Thanks !

Join the military as a line officer and get deployed.

Join the military as a line officer and get deployed.

I am going to put in an officer package in the summer. I am a female so positions like that are restricted. And honestly I would not fit well in combat. I am hoping to deploy as soon as I become a 5 level medical tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, post bac is good, get that GPA up. Study for the MCAT well, the higher that score the better off you'll be. In all honesty, all the pre-med advice holds true for usuhs, and you already have a military background so that helps with the essay portion.

In all honesty, it sounds like what you're doing is exactly where you need to be. Don't be too worried about the GPA, since it appears that you're pretty well rounded in the other important areas as well. In my opinion, you don't need to have a lot of military experience. It definitely helps, of course, but I've also heard that at times USU likes getting students with less military obligation already incurred, as it helps grow the big DoD family a little bit more. Just be relaxed in your interview and write a couple good essays too.

USUHS Class of 2020 Student

Hello everyone,

Hi!

You are basically where I was 4 years ago-- reservist, reseach in evo devo. Though, my gpa was much lower. I had all the same questions as you do now, but looking back, there wasn't really any actionable advice people were giving me that wasn't the standard given to all premeds.

these include:

Do well on MCAT
Maintain high grad GPA; take upper div courses
stay involved in community--preferably clinical activities
Apply early and broadly

The most useful advice, i think, was to seek out opportunities to reach out to other human beings. With this in mind, I volunteered for a lot of outreach programs for grade-school kids; I taught undergraduate level courses as a grad student; I went to lots of conferences to talk about my research as well as those of others and made lots of connections in a broad array of research fields. The point, I think, is to get used to sharing ideas and listening to people. Inevitably, you run into people who want to help. In my case, I found my way into a collaboration with scientists in regenerative medicine at a teaching hospital. I wiggled my way into other people's business and they allowed me to tag along. Eventually, I talked someone into letting me shadow pediatric OR.

Try not to treat advice to get into certain activities as checking a box for your application. Think of it as collecting experiences to, first, inform your decision to take on medicine; and second, build a library of insights and experiences that allow you to have interesting things to say in essays and interviews.

It's a super long road. Some people will be difficult/discouraging/dismissive. Remember that you can learn something from just about anything. When you have lots of stories, you get to have opinions people can relate to and care about and that's a big part of convincing people they want you in their school.

USUHS c/o 2020

edit: please don't commission and get deployed-- adcoms like people who do things for good reasons.

Hello everyone,

Raise your GPA (3.6), Do well on your MCAT (510), and apply early. Medical School is all a numbers game. Neither Your personality nor Interview can make up for the numbers.