USUHS Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Jet915
Hey,
I was just wondering how you check the status of your physical. I went to the DOD site and put my ss and dob but they then asked for my login and password. I saw at a site that you put your ss as your login and your pass is your last name but that didnt work. Anyone know how to check you physical status online?

Jetson

Hey Jetson,

I just went ahead and called DoDMERB. They had no record of my physical -- good thing I called! They let me fax it and a few days later I called them again. They told me that they wanted one more test, and the paperwork was in the mail. I received it a few days later. I am about to call them again next week. My advice -- just call. The online stuff didn't work for me either.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I just went for a follow-up physical and the doctor gave me all the forms. Where do I send them? The last time, the doctor sent them in himself. Also, does anyone have the number for dodmerb? THanks

abw,
I sent you an email with the address and phone number for DODMERB.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
republicandr, thanks so much!

I just realized that this thread is 6 pages long! Usually you have to get a flame war going to generate 6 pages. Thanks for all the great input everyone!

YEAH!! I got my unconditional today!! But I probably won't go to USUHS. I'm not sure yet. We'll see. But, YAY!:clap:

kaos - how long from your physical being complete did it take to receive the unconditional?

When you received unconditional acceptance, was it simply a letter, or did it include a copy of your commissioning contract etc.?

I am just curious...Has anyone recieved a decision from USUHS that interviewed Nov 21st or later? Thanks.

JFox,

I got my commissioning contract right after I got my conditional acceptance. I haven't turned it all in yet, but it's done and ready to go. What service are you? I was accepted in an Army slot, but other services might be different.

Originally posted by kaos
YEAH!! I got my unconditional today!! But I probably won't go to USUHS. I'm not sure yet. We'll see. But, YAY!:clap:

This is the part where we all put peer pressure on kaos.

Come on, kaos, everyone else is going!

Let's see, my physical was complete during the week of Nov. 4th. The unconditional acceptance was just 2 sheets of paper, and it says that I'll be getting more info about commissioning within 2 weeks or so.

I took the HPSP physical exam today, and MAN did it SUCK. :mad: I felt like a freaking piece of meat walking around naked in front of other girls. A whole room full of girls. And the doctor was a mean @$$ witch. Plus on top of all of that waiting, me and this other girl weren't allowed to get lunch @ the cafeteria, because we were the only ones going thru commissioning, and everybody else was enlisting. Glad that's over with. :mad: +pissed+

Kaos-

I feel for you! I had to go through it three times--when I enlisted for Guard, and twice for HPSP. The doc was 100 something years old. I injured my knee at Army camp this summer, but nothing permanent--just a strain and contusion. However, this doc kept trying to disqualify as long as I "admitted" that there was pain! (I am already in the military!

Best of luck, and congradulations. I still have no word on USUHS--except application is in final stage of review.

Members don't see this ad :)
Girls??? My HPSP was a horrible experience and there were no girls!!

Jetson

Caffeinated,

I was conditionally accepted to USUHS - Air Force; then again, what other services are there?:)

Just kidding.

I am still waiting to here about unconditional acceptance. I received notification from DODMERB that I was "qualified" about two weeks ago.

Jfox

Regarding the unconditional acceptance letters. Many of us who were accepted conditionally should receive the unconditional letter soon. I called the school about two weeks ago. The admissions office stated that nobody had received an unconditional letter yet, and that the first wave of letters would be coming out in ~2 weeks (now). So, I think many of us are going to have this letter soon. They also said that after we receive that letter they would be sending us some more information (housing, finances, etc.).

I am going to visit an Army base next weekend and will shadow some doctors there. I will post my feelings after that. I am fairly confident that I will go to USUHS next year (instead of U of Washington).

I think MEPS exams are universally horrible. I went through a MEPS exam back in 1997 when I was doing my HPSP scholarship. It's the same story: a bunch of 18 year-old enlistees, and me. They were all acting up and goofing off, and we all got yelled at!

They tried to make me take another MEPS physical before I came on active duty, and I refused. I knew the regulation, and it said that I did not need one. For future reference, all of you HPSP folks, you do NOT need a MEPS physical when you come on active duty. You need a physical every five years, and you can do your five year physical when you come on active duty. It's a lot easier when you are active duty (you see a physician at a medical center, not a MEPS station).

MEPS, just one more reason I chose not to go for HPSP again.

THANK U. There is absolutely NO WAY I'm going thru MEPS again. +pissed+

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post where I'm at (really far away from my unconditional, I'm afraid :()

I got remedials, including a request for all my past medical records-- yep, from birth to present-- and a "female parts" exam that the PA at Travis AFB was too embarrassed to do. So I'm sending all this crap out tomorrow. I have no idea when I'll hear back, but I called Mr. Hobiena at USUHS Student Affairs, and he gave me the impression that they waive pretty much anything. He did say they can't waive being overweight. Isn't that weird?

Anyway, despite my having about a hundred medical problems, I'm hoping they just waive me up and down and let me in. I figure, if I can run a mile and do pushups, isn't that enough? We are all going to have pretty sedentary jobs, anyway...

~Alison

P.S. Kaos, get thee to USUHS, go! The physical clearance is a blessing, believe me. :)

Just in case anyone is wondering...I called the admissions office to see the status of my application today(yesterday was 8 weeks from my interview). They said that they were only up to the people that interviewed on Nov. 7th, and that the committee didn't meet for three weeks due to the holidays. So it will probably be several more weeks until they get to my file. So I guess I can stop waiting at the mailbox for the mailman. I hate waiting! I wish they would just tell me so I could stop the HPSP process. Oh well. It could be worse, right?

HOORAY!!! Receive my unconditional acceptance today, consisting of two letters. The letter was mailed out on 1/14.

For those interested, DODMERB finished my physical back in Nov., 2002. Good luck to everyone!:)

Originally posted by Apollyon
Way back when, when I was in college (Virginia Military Institute - interviewed at USUHS in 1992, denied!), one of my buddies told me about his commissioning physical for the USAF:

"There were two doctors - an old guy from The Citadel, and this younger, pretty woman.

I got put in the line with the woman, and she stuck a finger in my butt!"

This guy was a virgin at the time, from Minnesota, Boys State, All-American this that and the other - he had pictures from the first time he'd ever had any alcohol...in Germany, got hammered, threw up in the street, and was out there scrubbing the bricks (literally) of his puke the next day.

Military physicals stink.

OK-this is republicandr's wife again. I just have to say: GROSS! Thanks for sharing, but really!!! Yuck! ;)

PS--who here who has been accepted is Army? Who here who has appliec WANTS to be Army or hopes? Just curious to see demographics. [/B][/QUOTE]

I took their HPSP offer, trying to get in shape for OBC. Funny thing is , I haven't gotten into med school yet.

Hi everyone! Sorry this is a little off topic. But I do agree. Military physicals are no fun.

Just food for thought...

I spent this week accomplishing a checklist for my mobility team. I am in the window for deployment to the Persian Gulf in the near future. I do not mind going though. I just don't want to be deployed to an undisclosed location and not be able to matriculate this fall. I still haven't heard from USUHS yet. But I already have an acceptance elsewhere and am waiting for the Board at AFPC to grant me the HPSP. Won't know until the second week in April. This time crunch is extremely stressful. But sometimes military life can be.

Thanks for listening to me babble. Hope all is well.

Cyndi

Good luck Cyndi. Hang in there.

- Jfox02

Originally posted by Apollyon
Sorry, that's medicine. Our new med student was EXCITED (and it merits the caps) to do a rectal; he hadn't done one yet. I told him I do one a day - they've lost their lustre for me.

Or was it the hurl?

Yeah, it was the hurl!

Sorry about your job though, doing 1 rectal a day at least doesn't sound that awesome. Was that what you pictured when you went into medicine?

jmwalker-

I hope to be Army at USUHS! (I interviewed 14 Nov--still no word. ) BUt, atleast I have HPSP scholarship. I am ROTC cadet, so I won't be commissioning until may--otherwise HPSP wanted to commission w/in next 30 days--don't want to do so because than USUHS window is closed. (I'd be contracted HPSP).

Anyway-Cdreed--good luck! Hopefully you'll here soon. This is reason I wanted to be ROTC scholarship vs Guard--don't mind deployment, as long as it is After med school. Then, I'll go wherever Army send me :)

To all, best luck!

phil and jfox- thanks for the kind words. I am really hoping to hear something positive from USUHS. An education there would serve me best since I intend to be career AF. I look forward to meeting you all. I know that we'll be working together in the next few years.

I keep hoping for the best for us all.

Cyndi

I'll second what cdreed said--I am looking forward to meeting all of you. After we all arrive at school, we will have to organize an SDN get-together.

Also, if there are any runners in the group, I highly encourage you to do the Army Ten-Miler in October. I did it this past October, and it was so much fun. It starts and ends at the Pentagon, and you run through downtown DC. You get to see so many sights, and you are among approx 20,000 other people running the race. And at the end of the run you get all the free blueberry muffins you can eat!

caffenated-
Do you run? would you be interested in running the Marine Corps marathon in october? I am interested in Army 10-miler--where do I get more info. I have run several marathons and half marathons. One marathon I even ran with a SM who was stationed at where I went to Basic training. However, I usually cannot find too many individuals in military at my school who actually LIKE to run. I would love to hear from anyone elso who loves running

All-

I am looking forward to meeting all of you---even if I don't get into USUHS, I have HPSP and will see all Army individuals in Army OBC this June.

I am going to have to think about the Marine Corps Marathon. The ten-miler, although a LOT of fun, took a lot out of me--especially hard on my knees. I don't know if I am serious enough for a marathon, but it's on my list of things to do before I leave this life. I guess if I start training right now I could be ready by october!

I hope you make it into USUHS. I won't be seeing you at OBC this summer--I already did it in 2000. I think you will enjoy Ft. Sam. San Antonio is a great city. If you like Mexican food, it is heaven. I highly recommend Alamo Cafe.

Originally posted by Caffeinated

I hope you make it into USUHS. I won't be seeing you at OBC this summer--I already did it in 2000. I think you will enjoy Ft. Sam. San Antonio is a great city. If you like Mexican food, it is heaven. I highly recommend Alamo Cafe.

Caffeinated, I was raised on Mexican food and am going to try the Alamo Cafe. I have never been to Texas, but my mother grew up there. The more I look at my options, the more I can't see myself going anywhere but USUHS.

Also, for anyone who is fluent in a foreign language, I found out that you can get a bonus pay ($50-100) a month. It is under the Foreign Language Proficiency Pay. You basically take a test where you listen, read and speak. Pretty cool.

Yep. I am brushing up on my Spanish right now. Someday I may actually take the test. I have given dozens of eye exams in Spanish already, but I don't know if I could pass a test at this point.

If you like running you're in luck, here at usuhs there are several running/biking trails within a short distance from the gate. You can run about as far as you want on the Capitol Crescent trail, the rock creek trail or the Old Georgetown Road trail. During my first year here i was running 60-70 miles a week for most of the spring and never had a shortage of places to run.

Y'all will enjoy USUHS...

See you around

I was wondering if as a USUHS student you are on Active Duty status or Active Duty Reserve Status. Thanks for any help-

republicandr

You are considered an Active Duty 2LT/Ensign in United states military.

HPSP is different. You are considered reserve, and thus not entitled to full benefits.

tman-

Are there a lot of students that run at USUHS? How easy would it be to find a running partner who likes to run distance? I don't run as much as you, more like 30-50 mile/wk. I encorporate a lot of X-train now to be easier on my knee that is still healing.

I hope to see you all at USUHS! It has already been almost 10 weeks and stilll notta word :confused:

Go ARMY!

Hey, this thread is up to 8 pages! Rock on!

i just want to put in a good word for a af training. the af really wants and pushes its people to achieve the most up to date training possible.

for instance, i completed my first acls course yesterday. it was a huge benefit for me. and i am registering for pals and the course to make me a certified bls instructor.

any of you out there unsure of which service to join, af has my vote. after all, we are the most recognized air power in the world. go air force!!

cyndi;)

rotatores- didn't you mention before that you wanted to do a summer experience this upcoming summer in the White House? do you know yet where you are going for this summer?

Hey! This is a piggyback question onto republicandr's question - what other opportunities are available for the summer after first year?

republicandr,

Yes, originally I intended on doing my summer experience at the White House but have since changed my mind. Instead I'm going to Puerto Rico with a fellow classmate to work with a SEAL team.

I decided I wanted to get out of the DC area for my exp.

Hi all!

Has anyone received notification for interviewing on the 14 Nov? I was originally told 6-8 weeks, and no word in mail.

How long does it usually take to clear DODMERB once everything is sent in? I have to send in medical forms on past knee injury, and need to get taped. (I want to lose a little more first so I am absolutely sure I will make it). How long do you think this will take?
Does USUHS start sending you info for OBC (Army), contracting forms while under a conditional acceptance? Or do they wait until they have unconditional? Any info would be appreciated. You can PM, or with server being down, email.
Thanks!

Melinda
Go Army!

phil413ru,
DODMERB will not clear you until they have all your medical information. You must get taped before they clear you. They will also want to have your forms on the past knee injury as well. I too had to get taped, and that was my only hold up.

I had my physical on October 15th. I received my DODMERB approval letter on November 15th.

Here is the link to the next officer basic course:
http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/HPSP_USUHSindex.htm

Also, if I were you I would call the school. It has been about 10 weeks, I think they would not mind giving you a status update.

DoDMERB finally approved my physical! :clap:

Congratulations Caffeinated! I know that you are ecstatic... When do you foresee receiving your contract and orders?

I'm still being optimistic although I haven't heard anything yet. I hope that I am notified before I'm deployed (I'm in the bucket next month).

Keep us updated on your progress.

Cyndi:)

I GOT IT!!! I am so excited. As funny as it sounds, I can't wait to go to OBC. I check the USUHS and OBC website almost everyday. Good luck to everyone else waiting. See you guys at USUHS!

GO ARMY!

UCLA Paratrooper

I'm jealous UCLA. Congratulations! I interviewed in November and hope that I will be getting some good news of my own. By the way what websites were you checking? Are you prior active duty or something?