USUHS Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by UCLA Paratrooper
Hey!

Did any of the Army people get their orders yet?

Also, are you guys planning on shipping your stuff before or after OBC?

Thanks!

UCLA Paratrooper

Not yet. I called the Reserve Office about two weeks ago and they said that were going to mail them that week (April 28 - May 2), but I haven't received anything yet. I think they are running behind.

Also, to answer your second question, I am going to ship my stuff after OBC. My family and I are going to drive it across the country.

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed Ms. Taylor two days ago asking about orders and I haven't heard back yet. I will give her a call if I don't hear anything back or receive my orders by next Monday.

At this point, having my HHG picked up before OBC is not going to happen, so I plan on moving after I get back. If you can, do a door-to-door move so your stuff doesn't get stuck in storage in DC.

mdf

I'm going to USUHS next year in the Navy, but I haven't even started looking for a place to live down there yet. I think I'm interested in an apartment in northwest washington. Have any of you started looking at places, and is there a housing office or something to help first years out? If you have gotten a place, did you go through a realtor or on your own? I guess its kind of different for people married with families, but I'm a 22 year old male, so I want to live in a busy, social area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah!!!! another navy person!!! (there aren't many of us) How are you doin mpcozz? Are you prior military, or are you going to OIS? This stuff is all new to me, but its pretty exciting. You might want to pull up another thread that's around here somewhere about places to live around USUHS.

Hey!

I was also thinking about living somewhere in Northwest DC. Anyone have any opinions on why I should or should not do so? Thanks!

UCLA Paratrooper

You single people may want to check out housing in Takoma Park. It is only 6 or 7 miles east of Bethesda inside the beltway and you can get very reasonable one bedroom apartments. Sky Properties has 1 bedrooms available for about $700/month. 301 587 2265

Do you guys think USUHS will start to pull people off their alternate list anytime soon? I happen to be on that list and am anxiously waiting.

ayj

Looks like the WL is moving for those who were waitlisted in Feb/Mar. (Saw this from another thread.) I'm feeling just as anxious, ayj.

Whats up,

I live in DC - and anyone that wants a social scene should stay clear of Takoma Park, or other places far out passed Bethesda - unless you want a suburban type scene. NW DC is perfect for USUHS - its on the same Metro line - only about a 10-15 min ride away. Cool neighborhoods are Cleveland Park, Woodley Park, Dupont, Adams Morgan, etc. Tons of cool restaurants, tons of bars, tons of chicks.

For those of you shipping afterwards, are you flying or driving to OBC? I may just have my parents play Power of Attorney--because HOR is in MN and TX-MN-DC is a real round-about trip.

Also, and Army hear any word on orders? I commission this Saturday, and hope to have orders to cadre before I leave WA.

As to the discussion on living places---I have two "reserved" applications. One is in Downtown Silver spring, the other is in Glenmont/Kenington area. I like the suburb feel--especially its proximity to Wheaton regional park. Many places need advance notice, so I would advise those who haven't looked to start at least putting name down. Since summer is a big moving time in military, there may happen to be lots of new openings.

Finally, question---are there any other distance runners who will be attending USUHS? Are any of you planning to run, or interested in running the Marine Corps Marathon? If you are, especially if you got in, can you send me a PM or email?

I look forward to meeting some of you in less than a month, and the other 2/3 in August.

Thank you for serving your country!

Hey!

Anyone know which shots are required before OBC?

Thanks!

UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA,

If you don't have the shots, they will give you them at OBC. If you don't have proof of the shots that you have already had, you will get them again. My advice, if you need certain shots, then get them at OBC, don't pay to get them ahead of time. Also, you may want to have records handy for all the shots that you have received. I think I got 6 or 7 shots all in one day when I was at OBC.

Hey!

I'm getting everything together for OIS, and was wondering if someone with prior experience could help me out with mylist of things to bring?

- What's a BLS card?
- For diplomas - is it just college, or college and h.s.?
- What's an SF88? (do i have one yet? and how do i get it?)
- For the immunization records, they only want records since 18 yrs. of age, but I got most of my required shots before then - should I bring the entire record with me?

Thanks so much!!

Hey Allison,

Since I (still) don't have my medical clearance, I haven't been sent my papers... so I can't help you with most of your Q's. But about the SF-88: I think it's that security clearance form we had to fill out before the interview. Check it out, I'm sure it's SF-something.

Can't wait to see everyone in August!

Alison

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I am scheduled to start COT in early July for the Air Force but just chipped a bone on my right ring finger (what luck!). I have a splint on my finger now that covers half of my ring finger (top joint). Will this disqualify me from COT???? The nurse told me that I need to wear it for 4-8 weeks. I can still do normal everyday activities accept I cant type as fast as I use to.......I can still do the excercises that are required. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Jetson

I think BLS means Basic Life Support (i.e., CPR). I am not sure if that would make any sense, but if you have taken CPR, bring your card.

Diplomas: most likely college, but it never hurts to be prepared. If you can find the HS diploma, bring it.

An SF88 is a form that is used for physical exam. SF88 is an outdated form, but for some reason, people keep using it. If you need a blank one, I can send you one. But it seems silly, because you should have already had a DoDMERB physical. I can't imagine they would do another on you. If you have copies of the forms you sent to DODMERB, bring those.

Immunization: as with the diploma, it's better to have too many than not enough. Unless, of course, you really like needles.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by abw
Hey!

I'm getting everything together for OIS, and was wondering if someone with prior experience could help me out with mylist of things to bring?

- What's a BLS card?
- For diplomas - is it just college, or college and h.s.?
- What's an SF88? (do i have one yet? and how do i get it?)
- For the immunization records, they only want records since 18 yrs. of age, but I got most of my required shots before then - should I bring the entire record with me?

Thanks so much!!

You might want to call the admissions office. The unconditional letter contains a statement that says you need to contact them if there is any changes to your physical condition. Although this is temporary, they might be in the best position to advise you of the next step.

Originally posted by Jet915
Hey everyone,
I am scheduled to start COT in early July for the Air Force but just chipped a bone on my right ring finger (what luck!). I have a splint on my finger now that covers half of my ring finger (top joint). Will this disqualify me from COT???? The nurse told me that I need to wear it for 4-8 weeks. I can still do normal everyday activities accept I cant type as fast as I use to.......I can still do the excercises that are required. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Jetson

do you have to be apart of the military to have a chance at getting accepted to USUHS? I am just curious since I am not apart of the military but am interested in joining and am willing to commit myself to whatever requirements they desire in order to get a paid education. Please let me know. Thanks

Integra,
You dont have to be prior military in order to get into USUHS. I wasnt and I think over half the people at USUHS were not prior military. On their secondary, you just need to write a good essay that convinces them that you want to be in the military.

Jetson

Thanks Alison & Caffeinated!

I wish someone had sent us a list of things we needed. Mr. Hobiena said we basically just had to show up, and that we didn't need anything, then a few days ago I found the OIS website with a long list of things to bring. Did I miss somewhere that we have to get CPR certified? I'm not really stressing about this, I just feel a bit out of the loop with what's goin on - does anyone else feel like that?

abw,
Don't worry about BLS you won't need that until you start your 3rd year, it's probably on the OIS site because other medical professionals such as nurses will be going and they need they're credentials verified. As Caffeinated pointed out though, unless you want to have enough holes to turn you into a sieve I would definiely bring my shot records....if not, it's not THAT bad, when I went to Boot camp back during the stone age I was lucky enough to get 6 shots within about 2 minutes....just pop a couple tylenols before you get them and do a bunch of push ups a couple of hours later...you'll be good to go. We'll see y'all up here in August.

I'll second what tman said. Don't run out and get BLS certified just because the website said you needed it. The things you definitely want to bring are the shot records.

Here is another thing I wished I would have known when I went to OBC: weigh your car empty and then again after you load your stuff prior to hitting the road, then log your miles. You MAY (may is the key word) be able to be reimbursed for a partialy DITY (do-it-yourself) move when you do a TDY en route to your final destination. I did my OBC after optometry school en route to my first duty station. While I was at OBC, I met with someone in the transportation office who told me that if I would have weighed my car, I could have submitted the paperwork for the partial DITY move (I think it was 500 lbs max). She told me that I missed out on a few hundred $$. She could have been wrong, so you might want to look into this and check for yourself. Regulations can change.

Absolutely double check the partial DITY rules with regards to USUHS/HPSP OBC.

While I was able to do so when I first went to OBC, I think it was authorized because my OBC (All Corps) was 3+ months long vs. the 6 weeks for USUHS OBC this summer. Although I don't have the JFTR handy, I think hold baggage allowances/partial DITY's are dependent on the length of the enroute TDY.

But, if they'll authorize and pay you for a partial DITY, by all means go for it!

Also, when you get your shots, make sure they not only annotate them in your health record (they keep), but in your "Yellow Shot Record" (PHS Form 731) as well (you keep). Don't have a PHS 731? Have them issue you one when you get your shots. Having your own record of immunizations you've received is imperative. My yellow shot record has saved me a lot of extra pokes over the years.

mdf

Originally posted by denali
Having your own record of immunizations you've received is imperative. My yellow shot record has saved me a lot of extra pokes over the years.

mdf

AMEN BROTHER! I'm on my second yellow book after spending 12 years as enlisted aircrew, and you better believe I don't misplace those records....that's a lot of ouches.

Hey everyone-

Just curious to see if anyone could give me feedback about getting off the waitlist....I got a letter a few weeks ago (and I just got a waiver). I'm really excited about the possibility of going to USU, but, am anxious as to when I might get feedback...Also, if I don't make it to OBC this summer, what happens --- I heard that there's a special two week thing??

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Has anyone here (Army) not recieved orders? I recieved my unconditional over a month ago, and still no word on orders. Since I am driving, I am supposed to leave in a week, but I can't if I don't have orders. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I guess I'll have to move self. (HOR is MN, and can't make trip back up).

Has anyone here (Army) not recieved orders? I recieved my unconditional over a month ago, and still no word on orders. Since I am driving, I am supposed to leave in a week, but I can't if I don't have orders. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I guess I'll have to move self. (HOR is MN, and can't make trip back up).

Hey Guys!

I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but on the OBC website, one section states that we only need BDUs and PTs, but on another part of the website, it states that we need Class A/B and Dress Blues. I emailed our class advisor (CPT Aric Bowman) to ask about the uniform situation and he stated that we only BDUs and PTs. This seems kinda weird since were going to be having a Commander's Reception and all. I don't want to nag him about it so can someone else possibly email him and verify the information that I got????

Thanks!!!

UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA,

We did our commander's reception in the afternoon in BDUs. I know it sounds weird, but it's the truth. You may want to bring your Class As just in case. The only time we needed blues was for the dining in. Then again, things might be different for you in the 6 week course.

Caffeinated,

Hey! Cool! How many pairs of BDUs do you recommend for OBC? Thanks!

UCLA Paratrooper

I would recommend 3-4 pairs of BDUs, and lots of brown T-shirts. You can get away with 2 pair, but when you go to the field, you will want to change them more than twice!

Anyone have info on age and health (asthma) waivers? Just curious if any of you know of someone who received one. Thanks!

Originally posted by pathdr2b
Anyone have info on age and health (asthma) waivers? Just curious if any of you know of someone who received one. Thanks!

I have no info on either. I have heard of age waivers. Good luck with the asthma waiver. I am not saying it can't happen, but you will have a difficult time with that.