Quantcast

UT Austin for pre-med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etherealsolvent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi! I'm a high school senior and I'll most probably be going to UT Austin as a public health major this fall. For those of you that went to UT or know about it, how is being a pre-med there? I know it's a challenging school, so any advice on professors, classes, etc. would be appreciated! Thank you :)

Chillbo Baggins

HEYYEYAAEYAYAYA
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a high school senior and I'll most probably be going to UT Austin as a public health major this fall. For those of you that went to UT or know about it, how is being a pre-med there? I know it's a challenging school, so any advice on professors, classes, etc. would be appreciated! Thank you :)
I didn't go to school there, but based on my classmates and people I met back when I was on the interview trail, assuming you're up to snuff, they do well in placing students into med school.

sliceofbread136

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Classes aren't that bad, shoot for >3.6. Look for research around campus, there is plenty for someone who is looking. There are good clinical volunteering around, although it can be somewhat hard to find given there are a billion premed around. Shadowing is also very difficult to find. Try and look for some non-clinical community service as well. The more long term your ec commitments are the better!

LivingLikeLarry

The lifeguard
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Classes aren't hard here, but it's really difficult to get to know professors since they're so big, and the lab sections are unbelievably annoying..

Reactions: 1 users

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Learn Spanish and you will find plenty of awesome clinical volunteer opportunities in the Austin area. Huge healthcare need here for spanish-speaking populations. The difficulty of coursework varies by major and professor, but the pre-medical coursework here has never given me any issues. (Except for the physics labs, they are just bad in terms of organization and quality so AP out of them if you can). Seconding all lab sections generally being terrible. Lectures generally vary from good to excellent depending on the professor. I've never had a truly awful experience with a professor, even when I had to take ones that people said to avoid.

Lots of research opportunities around campus so that is easy to take care of and a great way to establish a relationship with science faculty. Classes are huge until you get into the upper division coursework. Upper division classes vary from pretty big to really small depending on how difficult/niche the class is. For example, I know Evolution is a class that always fills up and has like 100-150 students but I'm taking two chemistry classes right now both with less than 30 students.

Some liberal arts /humanities seminars can be as small as 15 ppl.