This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOAPsucks222

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the interdisciplinary UT Austin Humanities Honors program?
https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/humanities/

I was invited to do it after admittance into COLA for BS Psyc. I'm interested in the program as you create your own major and course curriculum and they claim it offers schollys for study abroad and you conduct a thesis your senior year.
The limitations seem to be endless for the major you create, the director gave me an example: Since I am pre-med, if I were interested in studying in Brazil, I could create a major like Global Medicine and include courses like Portugese, Latin American Studies, Global Medicine and also incorporate the pre-med requirements.

Does this sound like something worthwhile for a hopeful pre-med? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say do it if you're genuinely interested in it, not because you feel like it'll help you with medical school. You really can major in anything and still go to medical school :) I'd also be careful with pigeonholing your major into something directly medicine-related; in case medical school doesn't work out for whatever reason, it would be good to have something more broadly applicable to other career options as well! Just my two cents :)