UT-Houston and chemistry grades....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMccodell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, one of my advisors told me today that she knew that UT-Houston adcoms use chemistry grades to weed out applications...is that true?

If so do you think I would make the cut with 2 B's in the gen. chem 1 and 2 classes and all A's for the organic chem classes? Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, one of my advisors told me today that she knew that UT-Houston adcoms use chemistry grades to weed out applications...is that true?

If so do you think I would make the cut with 2 B's in the gen. chem 1 and 2 classes and all A's for the organic chem classes? Thanks for the input

I've actually never heard that. I had a's in both intro chems, and b's in both organics, and they let me into UTH the first day of acceptances, so you should make the cut if that is what they have. But nothing is guaranteed, have strong ecs, good mcat, all the normal stuff. UTSW is the only one I've ever heard of having cutoffs

Yeah my advisor, who is the Dean of my Honors College, gave me the info so I think its pretty legit, however, you never know right. She also told me that UTHSCSA puts a lot of emphasis and possibly uses verbal scores to screen apps....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my advisor, who is the Dean of my Honors College, gave me the info so I think its pretty legit, however, you never know right. She also told me that UTHSCSA puts a lot of emphasis and possibly uses verbal scores to screen apps....

Hehe I only got a 9 verbal, and an O in writing, and I also got into UTHSCSA. I think a lot of places look at writing, but very loosely. Basically they want you to have a grasp of English. I think you should take the "screen" stuff loosely. I'm sure its much more of if you got C's in all chem, or a 6 on verbal. Most schools, once you get an interview they don't look as hard at you numbers. Once you've got the interview, nail it and hopefully you should be fine. And APPLY EARLY!!!!!!! :) :luck:

If they do have a cutoff for chemistry grades, that explains why I didn't get an interview from them. Then again, A&M showed no interest, either.

I think that a lot of comments like that are more rumors than anything else. Unless it was said by an actual adcom, I wouldn't hold it as true.