2023-2024 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
safe to assume no more II here? hadn’t seen any emails from McGovern announcing pre II Rs like some of the other TX schools have (but i guess they don’t have to send those)
Hey! I really don’t think more invites will be sent out. When I was interviewing and completed surveys etc, I saved all the interview dates they had set for the season. The last interview date of the season is this Friday Jan 26th… :-(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the R
Thought at the beginning of the cycle this school UTMB and TTU lubbock would be the only schools I get an interview from and I didn't get one from any of them

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the R
Thought at the beginning of the cycle this school UTMB and TTU lubbock would be the only schools I get an interview from and I didn't get one from any of them

Sorry to hear that dude. Texas schools are tough to get into.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-ii R. Sad panda. stuck in between sending the rest of my schools a "hey I'm still interested" and just not checking anything for a while.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got the R
Same here! At this point, I'm just gonna ignore my email and wait til match day

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS pre II R…let’s go peace of mind 🧘‍♀️

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Does anyone have advice on who to list as the recipient of a letter of intent? There are a number of associate/vice deans listed and the one who presented during my interview day is listed only as one of a couple of deans.

Does anyone have advice on who to list as the recipient of a letter of intent? There are a number of associate/vice deans listed and the one who presented during my interview day is listed only as one of a couple of deans.
I used the title that was on the ii

A prematch would be nice about now…wondering if they are doing a round before match day.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, not sure if this was part of a wave, but I received a prematch offer this morning at about 9 AM! I interviewed early December :)

I hope everyone else waiting to hear something back also has good news waiting for them!!!

Reactions: 10 users
Hello everyone, not sure if this was part of a wave, but I received a prematch offer this morning at about 9 AM! I interviewed early December :)

I hope everyone else waiting to hear something back also has good news waiting for them!!!
Congrats. Are you IS or OOS

Via email or call?

McGovern is my top choice, but I feel like so many people I know and have talked to are ranking them #1. Even those who interviewed at Baylor, Long, etc. I don’t know if that’s just me or small sample but anyways I’m so nervous for match. Really wanna go here!!

McGovern is my top choice, but I feel like so many people I know and have talked to are ranking them #1. Even those who interviewed at Baylor, Long, etc. I don’t know if that’s just me or small sample but anyways I’m so nervous for match. Really wanna go here!!
From what I’ve seen, esp if Baylor is in the mix, McGovern has been ranked around #3. No need to worry though, I’m sure it’ll all work out for you!!

A friend of mine Pre-matched this week. I think it was Thursday or Friday? No clue about his LM but he's really good at League of Legends so that may have been the X-Factor.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
A friend of mine Pre-matched this week. I think it was Thursday or Friday? No clue about his LM but he's really good at League of Legends so that may have been the X-Factor.
wind face GIF by League of Legends

• Haha
Everytime McGovern sends an email about a panel, I always get a mini heart attack thinking it's a prematch. :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Deciding rankings right now and one question keeps coming up. Can anyone tell me if the MD/MBE program is actually worth doing? It looks like a cool program, but I don't want to spend an extra year + money for something that doesn't make much difference in the long run. Could see it being useful for a bunch of tech-adjacent medical field work but no one in my circles really has a clear answer.

Deciding rankings right now and one question keeps coming up. Can anyone tell me if the MD/MBE program is actually worth doing? It looks like a cool program, but I don't want to spend an extra year + money for something that doesn't make much difference in the long run. Could see it being useful for a bunch of tech-adjacent medical field work but no one in my circles really has a clear answer.
I can definitely see it setting you apart for residency interviews. A lot of Dell students get an MBA during their third year and their match list is pretty impressive. If you are planning on starting your own clinical practice or understanding more about how hospitals run as businesses, I'd recommend, but other than that, it might not be useful imo

Did anyone attend the faculty panel last night and is willing to share how it went? I attended every single session they put out before, but unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend last night. Thank you!

Sorry if this has been asked already but I am an OOS and have not prematched. Does anybody know if I can email to get on the housing waitlist yet?

Sorry if this has been asked already but I am an OOS and have not prematched. Does anybody know if I can email to get on the housing waitlist yet?
you have to be able to send an offer letter

You have to be accepted unfortunately. Apparently it requires you to show proof of acceptance before getting on the waitlist. :(

Any OOS current students know when they heard back from McGovern? Do we hear back on match day as well? or do we keep endlessly waiting?

Any OOS current students know when they heard back from McGovern? Do we hear back on match day as well? or do we keep endlessly waiting?
Idk. They have like a 20% post-II OOS acceptance rate, and based on the information that I have gathered, they are only going to accept applicants that they genuinely think are going to go there. If you loveee McGovern, a letter of intent might help in this regard

praying OOS students hear tomorrow too
Last year there was nobody on SDN that got accepted on match day. It looks like they did send out something though because there were a whole bunch of OOS waitlists that went out on match day.

we also saw several oos admissions last year before match day and we have seen none this year. not sure what is going on!

Last year there was nobody on SDN that got accepted on match day. It looks like they did send out something though because there were a whole bunch of OOS waitlists that went out on match day.
I knew someone on SDN who matched last year on match day. They may not have posted because they were aiming higher.

Got an email saying transcripts required.. hoping it’s a spoiler alert for McGovern