2023-2024 UT Houston (McGovern)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 UT Houston (McGovern) Secondary Essay Prompts: (unchanged from last year)

1- Please discuss one of the following:
a) A challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past
b) Any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, failing course, dropping/retaking of courses)
Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn?
(2500 characters)

2- Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life? (2500 characters)

3- What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine? (2500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
University of Texas Medical School-Houston Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if McGovern has mandatory attendance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if McGovern has mandatory attendance?
No mandatory attendance. Sounds like most MS1 students attend lecture anyway during the first semester because the in-house exams are based on professor powerpoints. During systems-based modules, which start during semester two of MS1, students largely switch to using 3rd party Step 1 board resources and most watch lectures from home and crank out the 3rd party resources. This helps them prepare for the classroom NBME exams as well as Step 1.

The only mandatory activities at McGovern are anatomy, certain PBL sessions, and certain clinical skills sessions. Some PBL and clinical skills sessions have even been done virtually in recent years, though this could change, much like anything could change. But as of late, it's just been anatomy, some clinical skills sessions, and some PBL sessions.

EDIT: I'm also sure there might be scattered presentations or lectures from visiting faculty, grand rounds, etc that are mandatory. This seems to be the case at most schools. But when it coms to regularly-scheduled lectures and activities, my notes and conversations with staff and students indicates that the aforementioned holds true.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
No mandatory attendance. Sounds like most MS1 students attend lecture anyway during the first semester because the in-house exams are based on professor powerpoints. During systems-based modules, which start during semester two of MS1, students largely switch to using 3rd party Step 1 board resources and most watch lectures from home and crank out the 3rd party resources. This helps them prepare for the classroom NBME exams as well as Step 1.

The only mandatory activities at McGovern are anatomy, certain PBL sessions, and certain clinical skills sessions. Some PBL and clinical skills sessions have even been done virtually in recent years, though this could change, much like anything could change. But as of late, it's just been anatomy, some clinical skills sessions, and some PBL sessions.

EDIT: I'm also sure there might be scattered presentations or lectures from visiting faculty, grand rounds, etc that are mandatory. This seems to be the case at most schools. But when it coms to regularly-scheduled lectures and activities, my notes and conversations with staff and students indicates that the aforementioned holds true.
Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
@wysdoc Received secondary invite via email a few hours ago! Here are the prompts:

A challenging situation or obstacle you have faced in the past
Any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, failing course, dropping/retaking of courses)
Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? [2500 character limit]

2- Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life? [2500 character limit]

3- What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine? [2500 character limit]

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
@wysdoc Received secondary invite via email a few hours ago! Here are the prompts:

Any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, failing course, dropping/retaking of courses)
Why was it challenging? How did you handle it? Knowing what you know now, would you do anything differently? What did you learn? [2500 character limit]

2- Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life? [2500 character limit]

3- What would you like to contribute and be remembered for in medicine? [2500 character limit]
Thanks, @lkak

Does anyone know if McGovern likes incorporating innovation/engineering/technology in their medical education? I am not able to find much online, but was wondering if anyone who goes to McGovern can speak to it.

After how many days primaries are submitted can be expect secondaries from McGovern? Mine got transmitted last week last week Thursday, but I have not received secondaries yet. I am deficient in one class and I'm trying to appeal - do you think that affects when I get the secondaries?

After how many days primaries are submitted can be expect secondaries from McGovern? Mine got transmitted last week last week Thursday, but I have not received secondaries yet. I am deficient in one class and I'm trying to appeal - do you think that affects when I get the secondaries?
I submitted first day and have not received a secondary from them

Members don't see this ad :)

when u submit ?

Just received mines this morning. Submitted TMDSAS app on the first day!

For those interested, I also received my McGovern Secondary this morning, and my application was transmitted to schools on the afternoon of May 22nd.

Thanks, submitted mine on the 19th, (GPA: 3.8, MCAT 519), and dead silence from tx schools as a OOS applicant. ugh.

This will help everyone stay sane. Go to tmdsas.com- Look to the right. This will tell you the date they are on for processing LOR and applications. Here is what it says right now:

TMDSAS is currently processing:

Letters of Evaluation:​

• Direct Upload: Submitted 5/26
  • Interfolio: Submitted 5/17

Applications:​

Submitted 5/18

Transcripts:​

• Submit only upon request.
  • It takes up to 21 business days to process transcripts.

This will help everyone stay sane. Go to tmdsas.com- Look to the right. This will tell you the date they are on for processing LOR and applications. Here is what it says right now:

TMDSAS is currently processing:​

Letters of Evaluation:​

• Direct Upload: Submitted 5/26
  • Interfolio: Submitted 5/17

Applications:​

Submitted 5/18

Transcripts:​

• Submit only upon request.
  • It takes up to 21 business days to process transcripts.
Submitted means nothing until it says processed/transmitted to schools. Dont expect secondaries because you submitted, only expect them after tmdsas says the app was processed.

The schools can decide to issue a secondary only after they received everything or right after they receive the app.

Submitted means nothing until it says processed/transmitted to schools. Dont expect secondaries because you submitted, only expect them after tmdsas says the app was processed.

The schools can decide to issue a secondary only after they received everything or right after they receive the app.
Correct, However; there are people whose apps they're not on yet because they haven't come to that day yet. For example, I submitted May 19, so there is no way I should expect anything until TMDSAS is at least processing apps on the day I submitted. This is just a way to see if they have started actively working on apps on the day you submitted.

I'm a reapplicant and received an II from McGovern when I first applied. Would it be recommended to completely rewrite every essay? Or can I use the same essays, just tweaked and updated, considering I got an II the first time with these essays and the prompts are the same?

I'm a reapplicant and received an II from McGovern when I first applied. Would it be recommended to completely rewrite every essay? Or can I use the same essays, just tweaked and updated, considering I got an II the first time with these essays and the prompts are the same?
When you reread something there is always something you find that could have been written better. It is also a year later and so you may have some newer experiences that you want to write about like something more challenging or some bigger life experiences (you spent an year applying, didn't make it what did you learn from it as an example).

When you reread something there is always something you find that could have been written better. It is also a year later and so you may have some newer experiences that you want to write about like something more challenging or some bigger life experiences (you spent an year applying, didn't make it what did you learn from it as an example).
I understand and completely agree. Do you think writing about getting rejected from medical school is a decent idea for prompt 2? Or is that not a good idea since the TMDSAS application already asks for 2 short essays for reapplicants?

I understand and completely agree. Do you think writing about getting rejected from medical school is a decent idea for prompt 2? Or is that not a good idea since the TMDSAS application already asks for 2 short essays for reapplicants?
I really think the place for the essay you are describing is in the reapplicant space- unless you have nothing else to use in the essay #2 about a time you were unsuccessful.

Did anyone submit the secondary yet - I received a confirmation email after submitting and it said this:

"This is to notify you that your secondary application has been received and your application for the 2022-2023 interview season is currently under review. "

I double checked the portal and it said I was applying for the 2024 entry year so maybe this email is just an error? Let me know your thoughts - thanks!

Did anyone submit the secondary yet - I received a confirmation email after submitting and it said this:

"This is to notify you that your secondary application has been received and your application for the 2022-2023 interview season is currently under review. "

I double checked the portal and it said I was applying for the 2024 entry year so maybe this email is just an error? Let me know your thoughts - thanks!
I submitted and got that same message. Probably an error.

I really think the place for the essay you are describing is in the reapplicant space- unless you have nothing else to use in the essay #2 about a time you were unsuccessful.
Is there an extra essay for reapplicants?

I just submitted my app rn but it says my CASPER score is still pending. I received results over two weeks ago and other schools (TAMU) have already indicated that they have received my score? Is this the case for anyone else also? I checked Acuity and I put my TMDSAS ID down, so idk what's happening lol.

I just submitted my app rn but it says my CASPER score is still pending. I received results over two weeks ago and other schools (TAMU) have already indicated that they have received my score? Is this the case for anyone else also? I checked Acuity and I put my TMDSAS ID down, so idk what's happening lol.
Sometimes it requires an office worker to manually match up things with your file.

Sometimes it requires an office worker to manually match up things with your file.
Yep, different schools work differently. As long as your CASPER report says they sent it to UTH you should give it a few days for updates to happen.

Will TMDSAS send you an email saying you application has been fully transmitted?

Will TMDSAS send you an email saying you application has been fully transmitted?
By fully transmitted, do you mean do they notify you when they transmit your primary application to schools? If so, then yes. They sent me an email a few days after notifying me that my primary had been transmitted to all schools. Secondary invites trickled in over the following days.

Each school will individually send you an email after the completion of your secondary application, confirming that they have received all the necessary documents.

By fully transmitted, do you mean do they notify you when they transmit your primary application to schools? If so, then yes. They sent me an email a few days after notifying me that my primary had been transmitted to all schools. Secondary invites trickled in over the following days.

Each school will individually send you an email after the completion of your secondary application, confirming that they have received all the necessary documents.
Thank you soo much. This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Did you receive any secondaries? Some schools have an auto trigger.
My application has not been transmitted yet. I was just wondering if TMDSAS will send an email when they do transmit. My application was submitted on 5-19, so it should be soon.

When you submit primaries without LOR and then submit LOR concurrently with Secondaries, what is the trigger for TMDSAS to transmit it to all the schools
Your application will be ready for verification without the letters, as long as you entered the names of your recommenders in the appropriate place on your TMDSAS app. Schools will receive updates automatically from TMDSAS as letters come in.
Don't worry about it at this stage. Schools will check to see if all supporting documents have arrived in a month or two when they begin inviting for interviews.

Is prompt 2 more about being wrong wrong or could failure be a thing? Such as being overconfident in dance and then failing (only one on the company not to make a dance) and how that's shaped me to handle critiques and failure? Since I was a competitive/company dancer for so long I usually like to talk about it since it truly shaped me into who I am. I get that's not a college exp, but it's still failures and such. I have other ideas but I usually like using dance for failure bc it taught me how to deal with it. However, I am not sure if their prompt is about failure.

Is prompt 2 more about being wrong wrong or could failure be a thing? Such as being overconfident in dance and then failing (only one on the company not to make a dance) and how that's shaped me to handle critiques and failure? Since I was a competitive/company dancer for so long I usually like to talk about it since it truly shaped me into who I am. I get that's not a college exp, but it's still failures and such. I have other ideas but I usually like using dance for failure bc it taught me how to deal with it. However, I am not sure if their prompt is about failure.
What you failed at is not as important as what you learnt from it. The first piece is probably 500 characters while the second piece is the other 2000 characters. It does sound like dance is a big part of your life and so if you failed there, it must have taught you some major life lessons.

What did you learn from this experience and how have you applied this learning to your work and/or life? (2500 characters)

What is considered lower academic performance for prompt 1b? Would it make sense to explain a C+ in a course or would it be best not to draw attention to it?

What is considered lower academic performance for prompt 1b? Would it make sense to explain a C+ in a course or would it be best not to draw attention to it?
I am in a similar boat with one C grade, but the feedback I have received is not draw attention to it. One bad grade won't significantly affect your GPA, esp if you showed that you improved after - I don't think it matters. But please feel free to correct me!!

Based on the requirements, each course must be completed with a C or better. If there is only one C it is probably not a discussion point but if you blew a semester or two which brought down your overall GPA, that is where the explanation is expected.

Last edited by a moderator: