UT Houston Class of 2009! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone clue me in to the Houston electricity situation? In Austin we have one company. It's called City of Austin Electricity.

So are all the Houston electric companies pretty comparable? Should I randomly choose one? Any suggestions? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Stitch626 said:
Can someone clue me in to the Houston electricity situation? In Austin we have one company. It's called City of Austin Electricity.

So are all the Houston electric companies pretty comparable? Should I randomly choose one? Any suggestions? :confused:

If it is like Dallas.. which from what my parents say it is. You pick from a variety of companies like reliant, txu, ect. They all seem to pretty close in pricing so you kinda just have to see what each companies rates are and decide what fits you. My electricity has been a lot lower (I use reliant and I will probably use them in Houston) since I have moved away from Austin. However, I am not sure if this is due to the fact i lived in an old crappy apt in Austin. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
bump bump bump!

Does anyone know how we can get our computer allowance from financial aid?
(I'm assuming UTH students can get the allowance b/c I've heard several other schools will allot for a computer in you financial aid if you need them to)

KristenLS said:
Does anyone know how we can get our computer allowance from financial aid?
(I'm assuming UTH students can get the allowance b/c I've heard several other schools will allot for a computer in you financial aid if you need them to)
I was wondering that too, because eventually i need to buy a laptop and I would prefer not to have to dig into my savings to do it.

Refering to the question on which energy company to choose, I found the website www.powertochoose.com interesting to compare your options. Gexa energy seems to be the best priced.

Did anyone else apply for 1885 El Paseo? The woman on the phone told me they have apartments left and to go ahead and send a deposit. Did anyone else do this?

getunconcsious said:
Did anyone else apply for 1885 El Paseo? The woman on the phone told me they have apartments left and to go ahead and send a deposit. Did anyone else do this?

I sent in my application a couple of weeks ago, and my deposit check has been cashed so I assume i have an apartment, though no confirmation has been sent as to that yet. I say go for it.

ahhh, another Friday night getting neck cramps, I swear its my platysmus.

yo MS1s, congrats on finishing your last block exams and moving on to finals and MS2!! :D

MadameLULU said:
Those apartments look nice, but they built them so quickly that it makes me wonder about the construction quality.

Leave it to the resident cynic... :rolleyes:

As long as they aren't completely falling apart i'm good.

::Seabass:: said:
ahhh, another Friday night getting neck cramps, I swear its my platysmus.

yo MS1s, congrats on finishing your last block exams and moving on to finals and MS2!! :D

Thanks :D ...although I'm still a little worried about a couple of classes :scared: Congrats on almost being done with the basic sciences. when do you take your boards? :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
PeterGriffin said:
Thanks :D ...although I'm still a little worried about a couple of classes :scared: Congrats on almost being done with the basic sciences. when do you take your boards? :oops:
June 2nd. no sweat. ;)

Sometimes I kinda complained about how our school does stuff but it really all comes together end of MS2 and you see the light on why they do things the way they do. I really think they do a great job of setting you up very well and pushing you out into hard core study time with all the shelf finals. Its cool we also get free Qbank and now they are adding on a free diagnostic so you can find your weak points to take in the LRC.

good luck with that phys final, such a dismal note to end on. at least this year NBME has figured out how to score their tests so no one should falsely think they have 'failed' when they hadn't. just remember (at least in my opinion) you've now made it through the hardest part mentally so be excited! :D

one of the MS2 teachers is in the news.... (he also mentioned he does 3rd and 4th year stuff after some arthritis group learning thingie he led)

getunconcsious said:

yep..i already signed my lease, paid my deposit and have gotten an apt signed to me...

Does anyone know when we will be getting our bill for school?

LanceP97 said:
Does anyone know when we will be getting our bill for school?

I was wondering that myself. According to the registrar's site, they aren't mailed but will be posted on UTLINK. Last year it was due by Aug 13 but I'm sure you can pay well before then. It looked like registration began in the middle of June but they haven't updated the site for 2005 yet. Here's the site I was looking at:

http://registrar.uth.tmc.edu/Registration/Med_RegInfo_2004.html

Brain said:
I was wondering that myself. According to the registrar's site, they aren't mailed but will be posted on UTLINK. Last year it was due by Aug 13 but I'm sure you can pay well before then. It looked like registration began in the middle of June but they haven't updated the site for 2005 yet. Here's the site I was looking at:

http://registrar.uth.tmc.edu/Registration/Med_RegInfo_2004.html

Last year they just took it out of my financial aid before it was even given to me. I think I ended up getting my aid directly deposited the weekend before classes started.

Anyways...back to studying. 3 down, 6 to go :D

how are we supposed to know our pin for UTLink?

Does anyone know of a credit card that gives a percentage of your expenditures back to you in cash (not "reward points" - I don't need a gift certificate to Chili's)? I have a citibank card that does this, but I'm looking for another card to expand my credit line. Thanks for any input!

P.S. Is anyone moving to Houston in June?

Stitch626 said:
Does anyone know of a credit card that gives a percentage of your expenditures back to you in cash (not "reward points" - I don't need a gift certificate to Chili's)? I have a citibank card that does this, but I'm looking for another card to expand my credit line. Thanks for any input!

I can't answer your credit card question. I'm not really sure, but I'm moving to houston in June. On june 1st, I'm moving into the new housing.

baylorfan05 said:
I can't answer your credit card question. I'm not really sure, but I'm moving to houston in June. On june 1st, I'm moving into the new housing.

Cool someone else who's living in the new housing. you're brave though, I'm waiting till August 1 b/c I am afraid they won't have it done sooner. Going to UH I learned to not have faith in the date an administrator says that a construction project will be completed by. :laugh:

getunconcsious said:
Cool someone else who's living in the new housing. you're brave though, I'm waiting till August 1 b/c I am afraid they won't have it done sooner. Going to UH I learned to not have faith in the date an administrator says that a construction project will be completed by. :laugh:

Tell me about it! I called them today just to check and see if things are on schedule and for setting up utilities and they said that it is definitely on schedule. Thank God! How bad would that have been!

baylorfan05 said:

damn it! i've been in old housing all year and i'm not scheduled to move in until july 1st :mad:

<-- Moving to Houston July 1. I'm having a friend come down to visit from Creighton's medical school the second week in July. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in Houston while she's visiting? I will have only lived there a week and I'm not really sure i'm going to be ready to entertain in a new city for a week.

LanceP97 said:
<-- Moving to Houston July 1. I'm having a friend come down to visit from Creighton's medical school the second week in July. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in Houston while she's visiting? I will have only lived there a week and I'm not real i'm going to be ready to entertain in a new city for a week.
hmmm, I've been here 2 yrs and I still don't really know what to tell you, lol.

ok, she's a chick so she may enjoy the Galleria. NASA is supposed to be cool but I've never made it there. you could go to galveston/beach for a day or two. ummmmm, museums, zoo, astro world/splash town, beer can house, astros game, drive to austin/san antonio/hill country for a day or two....

hmm, maybe go to a bookstore and look at a travel guide for texas :D

PeterGriffin said:
Anyways...back to studying. 3 down, 6 to go :D
done :p

ok, already hard core into taking a step1 review course as of last night. run by the guy UTMB brought into bring up their scores. the first year he did it he had 30 people, next year 100, next 160 (which is this year I think.) 40% of their class now scores over 230. I'll let you know how it goes, I think its going to be pretty good so far.

ok, already hard core into taking a step1 review course as of last night. run by the guy UTMB brought into bring up their scores. the first year he did it he had 30 people, next year 100, next 160 (which is this year I think.) 40% of their class now scores over 230. I'll let you know how it goes, I think its going to be pretty good so far.

wow, that sounds pretty cool. good luck!
now back to neuro :oops:

Just curious, is it being offered by UTH or are you having to pay for it? If you are paying, is it really expensive?

Brain said:
Just curious, is it being offered by UTH or are you having to pay for it? If you are paying, is it really expensive?
we have to pay for it. BUT BUT BUT, we get Qbank free for almost a whole year. the cost of Qbank for 3 months is $500. the course is $400 and I'm still coming out $100 ahead. it is almost unheard of for schools to provide Qbank free. $400 is a steal in my opinion for 4hrs a day for 3 weeks plus free parking. its called "what you need to know" if you want to google his site.

fyi - don't take the northwestern course. I researched it here on SDN before signing up and saw bad reviews so I skipped. a lot of people didn't show back for the 2nd day (its a super intensive 3 day course over a weekend) poorly organized.

LanceP97 said:
<-- Moving to Houston July 1. I'm having a friend come down to visit from Creighton's medical school the second week in July. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do in Houston while she's visiting? I will have only lived there a week and I'm not really sure i'm going to be ready to entertain in a new city for a week.

Are you in the new housing too? We should start a club, haha.

As for your friend, Houston doesn't have much to recommend it as a vacation destination. However, she's coming from Omaha, which I have to assume is even worse. Hopefully her expectations will be low enough for you to be able to wing it. Good luck!

I'm going to be staying on Kirby and Braeswood. I'm thinking my friend will hopefully be up for the Galleria, Rice Village one night, NASA, or something artsy downtown.

we have to pay for it. BUT BUT BUT, we get Qbank free for almost a whole year. the cost of Qbank for 3 months is $500. the course is $400 and I'm still coming out $100 ahead. it is almost unheard of for schools to provide Qbank free. $400 is a steal in my opinion for 4hrs a day for 3 weeks plus free parking. its called "what you need to know" if you want to google his site.

fyi - don't take the northwestern course. I researched it here on SDN before signing up and saw bad reviews so I skipped. a lot of people didn't show back for the 2nd day (its a super intensive 3 day course over a weekend) poorly organized.

$400 dollars is not bad at all. I was worried they would be something like $1600 as the Princeton Review or Kaplan MCAT prep courses cost. Thanks for the info.

Stitch626 said:

I am pretty sure all Discover cards do this.

Hopefully they will still continue providing this review course when we need to prepare for the Step 1! ;)

Checked UTLink, FinAid award not posted yet.

For the dates they have in there, does anybody have a different date than 4/4/05 for the FAFSA?

DeepCowboy said:
Checked UTLink, FinAid award not posted yet.

For the dates they have in there, does anybody have a different date than 4/4/05 for the FAFSA?

Nope, that is the date that I have. I think that was the date, if you had it in then, that they uploaded all of the FAFSA files. :)

I hope they get to awarding our loans soon!

does anybody know how much we are supposed to get in finaid?

utlink keeps saying I am not eligible to get onto it. What's the deal. The student ID is our social right preceeded by the letter A?

sometimes I hate technology

Keberson said:
utlink keeps saying I am not eligible to get onto it. What's the deal. The student ID is our social right preceeded by the letter A?

No. The student ID number can be found on the address label from the packet we received in February from UT. It's directly above your name. Lately I've been getting ads from lenders in the mail...sort of annoying since I/we don't have a fin aid package yet. :(

Have a good weekend everyone.

Stitch626 said:
No. The student ID number can be found on the address label from the packet we received in February from UT. It's directly above your name. Lately I've been getting ads from lenders in the mail...sort of annoying since I/we don't have a fin aid package yet. :(

Have a good weekend everyone.

I haven't gotten ads in the mail yet, but I have been getting emails about the army and navy med school scholarships. There is no way I'm selling my soul to the military.

Brain said:
I haven't gotten ads in the mail yet, but I have been getting emails about the army and navy med school scholarships. There is no way I'm selling my soul to the military.

You're not scared of a few little bullets...are you? :scared:

Brain said:

especially not when we're about to go to war with North Korea :scared:

Keberson said:

You can also get your ID by calling the admissions office.

Just out of curiosity. A poll of sorts....

Where is everyone living when school starts (those who have already decided)

I think I may be in the new student housing :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.