UT Houston Class of 2009! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LanceP97 said:
I think I'm going to end up getting a Dell laptop closer to when school starts. If you watch the page at www.slickdeals.net they are always posting new coupon copes for Dell products. They recently had a $750 off coupon for any system priced 1499 or higher that I missed.

get a sager! www.sagernotebook.com or www.pctorque.com

you might end up spending a little more, but you'll get more bang for your buck

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question...

Do I need to send a final transcript to TMDSAS? I've already sent one to UT Houston...but just wanted to know what some of y'all did!?! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Valtry said:
Quick question...

Do I need to send a final transcript to TMDSAS? I've already sent one to UT Houston...but just wanted to know what some of y'all did!?! :D

I remember reading somewhere on the TMDSAS site that they want them so I went ahead and just sent them. Not sure why they want them, maybe for doing some statistics or something like that.

We were on the sixth or seventh page...

Still no financial aid award :(

Stitch626 said:
Still no financial aid award :(
lol, thanks for the reminder. need to fax in my houston part of the app. crap, I better lay it by the door.

yeah to the end of BS for me today!!! :D

I think we'll need to be turning those order forms for our white coats in a few weeks. Does anyone know how the sizes run? I won't be able to go over there to try them on before the deadline on the order form. If you normally wear, say a size 4, is that what size coat to order? Alternatively, can you just buy the patch separately and sew it on to a coat purchased somewhere else?

Brain said:
I think we'll need to be turning those order forms for our white coats in a few weeks. Does anyone know how the sizes run? I won't be able to go over there to try them on before the deadline on the order form. If you normally wear, say a size 4, is that what size coat to order? Alternatively, can you just buy the patch separately and sew it on to a coat purchased somewhere else?
yes, you can buy a white coat anywhere you want. they fit differently from brand to brand so one kind may fit you better than the next. just make sure you get the patch and get it on.

definitely find some kind of medical supply store to try one on. you will be wearing it everyday 3rd year and on and off the other years, you want it to fit. also remember to get it large enough to fit over a sweater, not just a thin t-shirt.

In the mail out that we got on the jackets they said the form had to be in by the end of June I think. They also said it would be ok for you to purchase any short white lab coat and just buy the patch from the bookstore and sew it on yourself. I think I'm going to just go up to the bookstore next Friday to try them on while I'm looking for furniture in Houston.

In my daily check of the financial aid website, I found some new information! There is a new selection under the Term tabs -"Medical 2005" - as well as a "Reg Dates" tab, which lists our Registration dates as June 13 -Aug 19. I'm hoping the advent of all this new info signals that they've begun processing our apps.

Holy crap, are we really in the allopathic forum? This is almost scary...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a new 2005 Toyota Prius yesterday! Quite a change from my gas guzzling Tahoe. Just trying to do my part to make this horrible Houston air a little better :cool:

PeterGriffin said:
I got a new 2005 Toyota Prius yesterday! Quite a change from my gas guzzling Tahoe. Just trying to do my part to make this horrible Houston air a little better :cool:

is that the hybrid? I heard on NPR yesterday that there are some problems with the Prius...the gov't is going to investigate...not to scare you or anything
BTW, i'm just jealous b/c i don't have a car (any car is better than no car)...stooopid stooopid hit and run accident :mad: :mad:

MadameLULU said:
is that the hybrid? I heard on NPR yesterday that there are some problems with the Prius...the gov't is going to investigate...not to scare you or anything
BTW, i'm just jealous b/c i don't have a car (any car is better than no car)...stooopid stooopid hit and run accident :mad: :mad:

Yeah, I heard about all of that the day before I bought it. So far it has only been 33 cases, with all but 4 coming from 2004 miles. Apparently they have been shutting down between 35 - 65 mph. I figure with over 100,000 04-05 models on the road, my odds are pretty good. Besides, I have 8 yr, 100,000 mile coverage on all of the hybrid technology. I just think this is propaganda by the big oil companies to try and pull the rug out from under an amazing car. :cool:

PeterGriffin said:
Yeah, I heard about all of that the day before I bought it. So far it has only been 33 cases, with all but 4 coming from 2004 miles. Apparently they have been shutting down between 35 - 65 mph. I figure with over 100,000 04-05 models on the road, my odds are pretty good. Besides, I have 8 yr, 100,000 mile coverage on all of the hybrid technology. I just think this is propaganda by the big oil companies to try and pull the rug out from under an amazing car. :cool:

Yeah, the % of cars with defects is probably pretty low, but you know how things get blown out of proportion. :rolleyes: Anyhow, warranties are the best for one's peace of mind. Good luck!

FYI, the What you need to know (info at www.wyntk.net) course was money. highly recommend it.

fyi, they are still looking for people to be part of the laser vision correction study at UTH. they are just testing which antibiotics work best, so no testing out new technology or anything. but you do get the best technology offered for $1k less per eye.

pm me for details.... I had it done monday, its awesome!

::Seabass:: said:
fyi, they are still looking for people to be part of the laser vision correction study at UTH. they are just testing which antibiotics work best, so no testing out new technology or anything. but you do get the best technology offered for $1k less per eye.

I want to get laser vision correction sometime soon. Where is the info on that study ?

::Seabass:: said:

Could you post here? I also may be interested. I'm quite blind (-6.75) so if it's lasik I may not be eligible. Also, I may decide to chicken out :scared: .

Hey everyone. I just moved into the new El Paseo property. It seems really nice. There aren't too many people here yet though.

Just wanted to write in and let everyone know that financial aid is available on UT Link now, and I just received my letters today in Houston Mail. Just wanted to give a heads up.

Brain said:
Could you post here? I also may be interested. I'm quite blind (-6.75) so if it's lasik I may not be eligible. Also, I may decide to chicken out :scared: .
brain and relema, send me a pm with your email address and I will forward you the email she sent me with the info. they started the study and they changed some of the methods so they still needed 18 people as of Monday.

Dr. Yee who does the surgery doesn't do LASIK anymore due to the complications, only PRK and LASEK. THe study is over anitbiotics for PRK, which work best. Essentially the same surgery as LASEK except there is a higher chance for 'haze' (kinnd of like looking through dirty glasses) which is something that goes away on its own or they will perform surgery again to correct it. You still get the soft contacts after the surgery (like you do in LASEK) to make things more comfortable. I had about '2' pain on the left and NONE on the right. PRK and LASEK have a longer healing time since they scrape the top epithelial layer off your eye and your vision will be blurry till those cells grow back (4-5 days.) you also get something called custom cornea which would be expensive to get without the study. individualizes the laser to your eye better than ever before.

So anyone who wants infor, pm me your email address. :) They are super nice, helpful, swesome, etc. You'll go in for screening which is a good time to aska ton of questions, etc.

I need a couch. Where are the used furniture places that will deliver. I don't want to buy a couch for $600!!

Has everyone that applied for financial aid received notice of their awards yet? I'm curious because for some reason mine is not yet up on UT Link...I'm wondering if this could be due to my undergrad school taking so long to send my final transcript with my degree on it.

KristenLS said:
Has everyone that applied for financial aid received notice of their awards yet? I'm curious because for some reason mine is not yet up on UT Link...I'm wondering if this could be due to my undergrad school taking so long to send my final transcript with my degree on it.

Mine isn't up either and they have everything they need from me. I think it is a first turn in info first to get it back situation.

I stopped by the office yesterday to sign some paperwork and heard them talking about this. I think the reason some haven't received theirs yet is due to the counselors. Based on our last name, we have different counselors that take care of us throughout the four years. I think that some counselors are a little behind in getting their letters out. Not to worry, it shouldn't be much longer.

baylorfan05 said:
I stopped by the office yesterday to sign some paperwork and heard them talking about this. I think the reason some haven't received theirs yet is due to the counselors. Based on our last name, we have different counselors that take care of us throughout the four years. I think that some counselors are a little behind in getting their letters out. Not to worry, it shouldn't be much longer.

Thanks for the info!

Are we automatically registered for the classes we need, or is there something special we need to do? I just got dropped by my parents' health insurance since I graduated. I'm going to appeal it since I'm technically still a student but I think it might help my case if I'm actually enrolled somewhere.

Brain said:
Are we automatically registered for the classes we need, or is there something special we need to do? I just got dropped by my parents' health insurance since I graduated. I'm going to appeal it since I'm technically still a student but I think it might help my case if I'm actually enrolled somewhere.
automatically registered, everyone in the same classes all day, all year.

FYI, SDN Houston Meetup June 18th. I know some of you are already in Houston, bored, and looking to meet people.

Just for FYI,

My financial aid has been posted....finally, so I'm guessing that most others have been as well! :)

Valtry said:
Just for FYI,

My financial aid has been posted....finally, so I'm guessing that most others have been as well! :)

Mine is still not up:(

Mine is not up either. It is kind of annoying waiting for all this stuff.
My institutional app was in 3/9 and my FAFSA was sent/complete/whatever April something (though I filled it out much earlier than that and sent it in, it took forever)

Keberson said:
Mine is not up either. It is kind of annoying waiting for all this stuff.
My institutional app was in 3/9 and my FAFSA was sent/complete/whatever April something (though I filled it out much earlier than that and sent it in, it took forever)

I still don't have mine posted either and I got my stuff in really early. Anybody know when we find out our day to day schedule?

For those of you who have revieved your fanancial aid award...how much have you been offered?

especially anybody who had a job last year and actually had more than 0 income.

i.e EFC>0

Keberson said:
For those of you who have revieved your fanancial aid award...how much have you been offered?

especially anybody who had a job last year and actually had more than 0 income.

i.e EFC>0

Every incoming student has a student budget of $31,348. They first give us the subsidized staffords, and then any grants the state offers. Then they give us a Perkins or LDS (loan for disadvantaged students) Loan, and then they provide the rest of our budget with unsubsidized staffords. Thats what they told me anyways....hope this helps.

baylorfan05 said:
Every incoming student has a student budget of $31,348. They first give us the subsidized staffords, and then any grants the state offers. Then they give us a Perkins or LDS (loan for disadvantaged students) Loan, and then they provide the rest of our budget with unsubsidized staffords. Thats what they told me anyways....hope this helps.

but don't they subtract out your estimated family contribution? Mine ECF was around 2,000 (I made somewhere around 12,000 last year and they expect me to give that much!?)

Does anybody know?

Keberson said:
but don't they subtract out your estimated family contribution? Mine ECF was around 2,000 (I made somewhere around 12,000 last year and they expect me to give that much!?)

Does anybody know?
I was expected to contribute $13k and they gave me the whole she-bang.

Brain said:
Anybody know when we find out our day to day schedule?
They will post the schedule at this link. Scroll to the botton and you will find last year's which will be very similar to yours.

Now DON'T get alarmed. Realize you won't be going to everything listed in the document. You go to either Biochem A or B, not both, and it it entirely voluntary (I personally only found it useful for the first block, and don't believe the BS about getting an extra point, I don't know anyone who got it.) Anytime you have something in the afternoon (like history taking for ICM) you only go to one of the 15 sessions or so it will take to get everyone through that skill, they can only do so many students at once. Also histo lab is voluntary, most people don't go, you are only tested on slides posted on the internet, not the stuff you look at through the micro. Looking through the micro is a waste in my opinion. So in reality, you aren't in class as much as it looks. Test weeks should be the same, might be good to know that info.

i called fin aid today and the lady said my financial aid package will not be ready until next month.

EEEEE said:
i called fin aid today and the lady said my financial aid package will not be ready until next month.

I can't believe you guys haven't all gotten your aid packages yet. What I found particularly humorous is that although I withdrew from the school on in early May, I received my full financial aid package and award this week and that it was dated June 7. Way to go UTH!!!

Hey y'all:

Just wanted to post this FYI. We'd love to see you guys come out tonight. EEEE and 2tall are comin. :D
----------
Well, it's been a long time since we've had one of these and I know that many of us are leaving for points beyond soon. Let's all get together for lunch or dinner on Saturday, 18 June 2005. Come on out and have lots of fun!

- Rendar5 will be visiting from the Great Beyond (New York City)!
- See a Frog dancing on tables!
- Check out the people you've always wondered about!
- And much, much more.

For those of you who haven't been out to one of these before, they're lots of fun. It's a great way to make friends [:)] and get to know a new group of people in the Houston area. There's a right zoo's worth of Houston-area SDNers!

The reservations have been made.

Bucca di Beppo on Saturday @ 8 p.m. Reservations have been made (for 12), so we won't have to pimp fotolilith out in order to collect for the bribe. :) So far we have:

1. Evo
2. Labrat
3. TRose and hubby
4. fotolilith
5. dizzydog (likely)
6. Snow White
7. Rendar
8. MadameLULU
9. 2tall

Anyone else?????? Put your name down. That way we can increase the reservation size if necessary. w00t!!. :D

Here's the map:

houston.gif

has anyone not gotten financial aid package yet? i haven't and i am kinda anxious.

EEEEE said:
has anyone not gotten financial aid package yet? i haven't and i am kinda anxious.

I haven't gotten mine yet either.

EEEEE said:

I know it's kind of nerve racking and difficult to get any information from the school, but you shouldn't worry at all about your financial aid. You're already in and you'll get your money for sure. Just try to enjoy your summer

Anyone know if the patches for the white coats are always kept in stock at the bookstore, or do we need to order it? I think I'm just going to buy a coat elsewhere and sew the patch on myself to make sure I get the right size.

EEEEE said:

I haven't either..but PeterGriff has some good advice about not stressing about it. If it has worked for students in the past it will work for us

Status
Not open for further replies.