UT Houston Class of 2009! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only person who still does not have a financial aid award yet? I'm thinking I should call. I'm doing a bit of traveling before school starts and I want everything squared away with school before I take off.

Members don't see this ad.

PeterGriffin said:
I know that we have more incoming students than we have MS2's signed up to be a second year. I already have a 1st year, but the drink offer is tempting. If you want to email the 2nd year that's doing the match, his address is [email protected] should be able to hook you up.

That sucks. So how do they determine who doesn't get one? I guess come to think of it I really don't need one. I mean, do they really do that much for you?

Brain said:
Am I the only person who still does not have a financial aid award yet? I'm thinking I should call. I'm doing a bit of traveling before school starts and I want everything squared away with school before I take off.

Mine still hasn't posted either, and I've had the forms in for months. I'm sure they have some kind of system and just haven't gotten to us yet....last time I talked to them they said I had done everything I needed to do :)

Members don't see this ad :)
getunconcsious said:
That sucks. So how do they determine who doesn't get one? I guess come to think of it I really don't need one. I mean, do they really do that much for you?

I think they were going to start doubling up on the 2nd years but I'm not sure if they are still going to do that. The biggest benefit of having a 2nd year is all of the free books that they might give you. My 2nd year didn't do much other than that last year, but the books were extremely helpful. I didn't spend money on a single book last year. :thumbup:

Adam is a genious!
P.S. How's the lake?
:D
PeterGriffin said:
I think they were going to start doubling up on the 2nd years but I'm not sure if they are still going to do that. The biggest benefit of having a 2nd year is all of the free books that they might give you. My 2nd year didn't do much other than that last year, but the books were extremely helpful. I didn't spend money on a single book last year. :thumbup:

Having a second year is a great way to get advice, free books, and meet people like PeterGriffen said.
Everyone who wants a second year will get one before school starts. Probably by retreat:)

getunconcsious said:

Brain said:
I just got mine a few days ago. I bet that yours will be done soon, however, It never hurts to call.

I know Houston always posts a list of their accepted students to med school... have they posted it already... if anyone has a copy could you post it or pm me. Thanks.

BUMP

<1 month until orientation! :eek: :scared:

Brain said:
BUMP

<1 month until orientation! :eek: :scared:

And we'll need to pick out some sort of cool Hollywood costume! I'll be thinking of something fun now but then I'll probably end up going as myself, a lost tourist.

Does anyone know if that Rec Center fee on our bill is payment for a year at the rec center? I'm asking because the price for a student on the rec's website is different then what we were charged.. Just curious.

OddNath said:
And we'll need to pick out some sort of cool Hollywood costume! I'll be thinking of something fun now but then I'll probably end up going as myself, a lost tourist.

I like the lost tourist idea. Hollywood is a hard theme to do. I don't really look like any movie stars or know how to make myself look like one. Maybe a group of us could go as the paparazzi (sp?).

Just out of curiosity, have any emails been sent out regarding the retreat? It's only because of this site that I've heard of the costumes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brain said:
I like the lost tourist idea. Hollywood is a hard theme to do. I don't really look like any movie stars or know how to make myself look like one. Maybe a group of us could go as the paparazzi (sp?).

Just out of curiosity, have any emails been sent out regarding the retreat? It's only because of this site that I've heard of the costumes.

I have not gotten any e-mails about the costumes either, I am not even sure if they got my check for the retreat since it has not been cashed.

relema said:
I have not gotten any e-mails about the costumes either, I am not even sure if they got my check for the retreat since it has not been cashed.

Mine hasn't been cashed either, which is why I was wondering.

Brain said:

In typical UT-Houston fashion, they sent another ******ed flyer with a picture of Braveheart on it....but of course no useful information. I e-mailed the guy and asked about the costumes and yes, sadly, we are expected to dress like movie stars. He says it's not an absolute requirement but that typically 95% of the class conforms.

Since their flyers are so informative and creative :thumbdown: , I say we all revolt and just go as the paparazzi (spelling?). That will show them! :p

Valtry said:
Since their flyers are so informative and creative :thumbdown: , I say we all revolt and just go as the paparazzi (spelling?). That will show them! :p

HAHA this sounds like a great idea actually. I'm always for revolts.

jdovez said:
Either I missed something, or y'all slept on creating a forum for next year. What's up people? I thought you guys were excited!!!

I'm going to UT Houston Anesthesiology WOOHOO! Life is GUD. If you're a third or fourth year, see you in the OR!

*edited by DrMom: advertising*

Good luck to all,
anesthesiaman

:rolleyes:

any pre-entry people on here?

Keberson said:

I wanted to go but they wouldn't let me in! I am sooo jealous of you guys getting all the info early! boo!

I didn't get any info on a pre-entry program.. :rolleyes:

getunconcsious said:
I wanted to go but they wouldn't let me in! I am sooo jealous of you guys getting all the info early! boo!

Yeah, but would you really want to give up your last real summer off?

I didn't even know it existed myself.

I would like to use a credit card to pay my tuition and would like to have my financial aid money deposited to my bank account so that the next month's credit card bill can be paid off.....when would be the best time to pay my tuition? I have heard that if you don't pay your tuition early enough(if you are planning on using a credit card), that financial aid will automatically be applied to your balance and the remainder will be deposited. So, again...just curious if anyone has called the financial aid office and gotten a response before I call and bother them. :)

LanceP97 said:
I didn't get any info on a pre-entry program.. :rolleyes:

They only invited certain people. I didn't get invited either, but I heard about it through the grapevine and asked if I could be in it; No dice. I dunno what was up with it, but like Brain said, at least we have the time off! Those kids are toiling away at gross anatomy and biochemistry as we speak. :laugh:

Brain said:
Mine hasn't been cashed either, which is why I was wondering.

Yupp... my check hasn't been cashed either! Please post if any of you know anymore info about retreat!

I'm having problems finding a costume too! haha... I don't look like any movie stars, its hard when the only Asian actresses are Lucy Liu and Zhang Ziyi... and they're both 95 pounds! haha... so yea... I'm down with lost tourist or papparazzi as well! =) :p

getunconcsious said:
They only invited certain people. I didn't get invited either, but I heard about it through the grapevine and asked if I could be in it; No dice. I dunno what was up with it, but like Brain said, at least we have the time off! Those kids are toiling away at gross anatomy and biochemistry as we speak. :laugh:

aww... as much as I enjoy spending time off... it's probably a relief to those pre-entry folk to have a "one up" on everyone else! :( I didn't know anything about this program either! Is there another one for MS2's?

txkiwieyes said:
aww... as much as I enjoy spending time off... it's probably a relief to those pre-entry folk to have a "one up" on everyone else! :( I didn't know anything about this program either! Is there another one for MS2's?

Yeah I really do feel the same way, but I'm trying not to be too gunnerriffic, though it's hard to stop being competetive cuz premed was such a funnel! Just remind yourself that you've made it this far so your odds are really good. Getting into med school is pretty much the rate-limiting step for being a physician.

txkiwieyes said:
seriously, pre-entry will NOT make or break you. it will not get you that 'honors' and I think all of your time is much better spent enjoying your summer. your life will be consumed by med school/medicine for a LONG, LONG time come mid-August. even when you learn to juggle and mentally balance it, you'll still have to give up things and not get to do everything your peers will get to do out in the real world.

pre-entry is designed to help some make the transition academically. for those who have been out of school for a long time, those who are coming in from smaller schools who may not have had as rigorous of classes, and those who just may need a bit extra help academically. I think the only thing it provides is help transitioning and making you more comfortable being around the school and meeting people and not being as freaked out the first week. some of the kids will come out of it and honor a lot of classes (but they would have anyways) and some will come out and barely scrape by, there is a reason they offer it to a certain subgroup, don't worry about it. you will fly through the stuff they cover VERY quickly and then everyone will be on new ground.

and no there is no such thing for MS2s.

remember, Houston is a school where LOTS of people do VERY well. we help each other out (in fact, its usually the people who are doing the very best who help others out the most) and work well as a team. this is NOT an environment where you try to out do the person next to you (in fact this will get you not liked by everyone in the class.) grade cut-offs are set before you walk into class for the first time, and it is not based on a percentage. its about how hard you work on a day to day basis and how much you choose to challenge yourself. for some it will come easier than others, but everyone works harder probably than they have before (unless you're one of those who has had all the MS1 classes, but then MS2 is a big shock and harder to handle.)

kiwi, this wasn't aimed at you, I just chose you to quote. :)

seriously people, remember what this school is about and you'll do great. :D

::Seabass:: said:
remember, Houston is a school where LOTS of people do VERY well. we help each other out (in fact, its usually the people who are doing the very best who help others out the most) and work well as a team. this is NOT an environment where you try to out do the person next to you (in fact this will get you not liked by everyone in the class.) grade cut-offs are set before you walk into class for the first time, and it is not based on a percentage. its about how hard you work on a day to day basis and how much you choose to challenge yourself. for some it will come easier than others, but everyone works harder probably than they have before (unless you're one of those who has had all the MS1 classes, but then MS2 is a big shock and harder to handle.)

kiwi, this wasn't aimed at you, I just chose you to quote. :)

Haha... I knew it wasn't aimed at me! :p I'm glad to hear that UTH students like to work as a team! I hate competition! We'd all get further if we'd help each other out in life! =) ;)

*whew* thanks for the clarification about the pre-entry classes! I thought it would give those students a "head-start" in those courses! =)

will you be at Retreat Seabass?

txkiwieyes said:
Haha... I knew it wasn't aimed at me! :p I'm glad to hear that UTH students like to work as a team! I hate competition! We'd all get further if we'd help each other out in life! =) ;)

*whew* thanks for the clarification about the pre-entry classes! I thought it would give those students a "head-start" in those courses! =)

will you be at Retreat Seabass?
nah, I'm an old and gray MS3 now.....actually have my first 3rd year test friday :eek:

and I was thinking about this alot today (had to sit through one too many lectures, snore) and getting into med school is pretty cut throat. but now everyone is in and unless you chose this isn't for you, you will be a doctor. and most importantly, all your classmates and those students at other schools or in years above and behind you are now your colleagues and it always pays to work as a team. :) med school's challenge isn't against others, its all about how much you choose to challenge yourself.

Does UTH have a Facebook dealie?

I'm curious....

Is anyone else having problems viewing the past few posts?

getunconcsious said:

I am in pre-entry and can speak for it honestly. A certain group of students were invited that would benefit the most. Basically, lower mcats, lower GPA, out of school for a time, non science majors, nontrads, and some self referred people. I had a low mcat so I was invited. I felt bad about it at first that I somehow was at the "bottom" of the acceptees but I quickly got over it and decided to use to my advantage.
We have learned a few things that will be covered during first year but certainly not a significant amount. Gross anatomy for first block (minus the upper extremity), biochem second block stuff, and physio for the spring semester basics. We also get aquainted with the school, some professors, the houston area in general, and study tips, stress managment, ect.
I would not worry if you are not in it. Some people will do well that come from pre-entry but they would have done well anyway. I just wanted to get back into the swing of things since I was out of school for a while and in the work force and my mcat sucked, haha. Don't feel threatened by pre-entry people. We are all nice and just as scared as you are....but we have gotten our feet a little wet and are more than willing to help you. I don't know of any gunners in pre-entry...hahah. Just nice people.
see you at retreat!

p.s message me if you want to ask questions...i have lots of good tidbits of info and am happy to talk to anybody about school starting up soon.

Bump. Orientation and retreat are just around the corner. :D

UT_mikie said:
Bump. Orientation and retreat is just around the corner. :D

MUCHO EXCITADO!!! :D

Hope to meet some of you during Computer Orientation on Monday! My last name starts with a "B"! =)

Keberson said:

Hi Keberson. I'm here. :cool: I haven't been to SDN land in a while since I've had my head in the books. :( I am definitely jealous of those that have been enjoying a relaxing summer! How about you?

txkiwieyes said:
MUCHO EXCITADO!!! :D

Hope to meet some of you during Computer Orientation on Monday! My last name starts with a "B"! =)

Hey KiwiEyes, I'm a "B" as well. Hopefully I'll see you at comp orientation.

Mikie

RangerD said:
Hi Keberson. I'm here. :cool: I haven't been to SDN land in a while since I've had my head in the books. :( I am definitely jealous of those that have been enjoying a relaxing summer! How about you?

RangerD...I wonder which of the 30 you could be :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Especially this weekend with all the crazy tests next week. Its funny...when everybody else says things like "i'm so excited" or "i'm so pumped" I think to myself that I used to feel that way but not anymore. Its not that I am worn out, its just that its lost some of its glamour, hahah. I am excited yes...but yet...not nearly as much as I was pre-preentry, haha.

I think the biggest thing that excites me now is meeting the rest of our class. There are 170 or something more people that we haven't even met.

good luck with your head in books...but don't get lost under all those books, haha.

-kelly (backrow ;) )

Keberson said:
RangerD...I wonder which of the 30 you could be :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. Especially this weekend with all the crazy tests next week. Its funny...when everybody else says things like "i'm so excited" or "i'm so pumped" I think to myself that I used to feel that way but not anymore. Its not that I am worn out, its just that its lost some of its glamour, hahah. I am excited yes...but yet...not nearly as much as I was pre-preentry, haha.

I think the biggest thing that excites me now is meeting the rest of our class. There are 170 or something more people that we haven't even met.

good luck with your head in books...but don't get lost under all those books, haha.

-kelly (backrow ;) )

Yeah, I'm the old guy up front. :D Yeah, I think next week will be rough. I don't know about you, but on Friday, I got reminded how much I have neglected Anatomy due to spending time memorizing Biochem. I think that I need to find a more efficient way to study to keep up with everything at the same time. I've always been like that though...focusing only on the class that has the next test, and neglecting the others until those tests come up. However, will all tests during one week in a block fashion...that strategy will kill me! :eek:

back to the books...

Sounds like the "fun" of school for some people is already in full motion. Personally.. I'm ready for a little something.. maybe not all out school.. but being out of school since December has made me really lazy. What has everyone not in pre-entry been doing with their summer? I know I haven't done much.. just getting used to Houston and hanging out with friends..

I moved to Houston at the beginning of July and have been doing pretty much the same. I wanted to get settled (i.e. get my utilities, cable, internet, phone set up, find a grocery store, find the public library, find a pharmacy, change my PCP, change dentist) before school started. I have gotten all of this done and am now just becoming very antzy to start something. :D

LanceP97 said:
What has everyone not in pre-entry been doing with their summer? I know I haven't done much.. just getting used to Houston and hanging out with friends..
I've been working in the medical school as a research assistant since I graduated in December, and I'm still antsy. I'm moving into student housing tomorrow (I can't wait to quit commuting from northwest houston). If anyone is here already and wants to hang out before all of this madness begins just pm me, I'll be in the area.
See ya'll soon :)

Ugh.. I just found out today that my complex is not going to have a shuttle running before school starts, so basically i'm stuck now trying to figure a way to get to school. Does anyone have any suggestions other than riding a bike.. ? I live on the corner of Kirby and S. Braeswood. Thanks for the help.

LanceP97 said:
Ugh.. I just found out today that my complex is not going to have a shuttle running before school starts, so basically i'm stuck now trying to figure a way to get to school. Does anyone have any suggestions other than riding a bike.. ? I live on the corner of Kirby and S. Braeswood. Thanks for the help.

There's a free shuttle (I believe it's run by the TMC) at the corner of Shamrock & Main. Probably about .75 mi from where you're at. You can always ride your bike to this point & hook it on the front of the bus. Sort of convoluted, but it would work until your apt shuttle is fully functional.

Here's a link: http://www.ridemetro.org/pdf/Routes/320-tmc.pdf

I'll be riding the blue shuttle (you can see it stops at UT Houston) - but maybe one of the other shuttles stops closer to your residence.

as a FYI for when you guys move and look for new apartments later on....

there are a couple apartment complexes that will tell you they will have a shuttle soon, and then never get one. the Camden behind the Randalls on Holcombe is notorious for this trick.

Lance, another thing to check into...the 2 complexes across the street offer a shuttle for their residents. maybe your place could make an arrangement for you guys to ride their shuttle till they get one.

people also park at Rice or the zoo and walk or park by university housing and ride the free UT shuttle into school.

LanceP97 said:

During my first year I lived at Knob Hill on N braeswood outside of the loop and would just ride my bike in along the bayou, nice ride, good exercise. Through my stuff in a locker upstairs in the gym and shower, go to class. Kept me active and out of trouble. Should only take you 10-20 min to ride in.

Thanks for the suggestions. My place is trying to make an arrangement with the complexes across the street which they said would be finished by Aug. 1. Now they are saying it will be more like Sept. 1, which I still don't believe. To ride the shuttle at student housing do you have to have any identification that you live there? Just curious. I'll figure something out.. thanks again.

Hi guys!

almost time for school to start!!!! Comp Orientation is MONDAY for me, and I STILL don't know where I'm going! (I'm directionally handi-capped)

anyhow... I live on the corner of EL PASEO and CAMBRIDGE! I think someone mentioned before that there's a shuttle on EL PASEO, but at what intersection???

I need to know before monday! haha... Also, is it the UT shuttle or City Shuttle, and how often it comes by to scoop up students???

anyone know?

Hey all, if any of you want to meet up before the orientations and stuff start, please pm me. Especially those of you that live here in student housing! It would be great to meet classmates and neighbors, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.