******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do they charge you to split the tuition between the 2 semesters instead of paying it all in august?

Also, does anyone know how much after hours parking is at the med center?

Members don't see this ad.

Do they charge you to split the tuition between the 2 semesters instead of paying it all in august?

Also, does anyone know how much after hours parking is at the med center?

It's a one time charge of $15 to split your tuition into either 2 payments or 4.

Dang, I didn't know you could split up into 4 payments. I opted for the 2 payments.

Question: When is everyone moving to their apartment before classes start?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, I didn't know you could split up into 4 payments. I opted for the 2 payments.

Aug 2

Could you choose to split it into 2 payments on UTlink, or did you have to call?

I'm already into my condo :) YAY

Can any of the current first or 2nd years advise on whether it's a bad idea to take off early on a Friday and miss a Gross lab?

Gross lab was different back when I took it (we had to do every dissection, MWF), but I think starting last year they did something like dissect every other lab. So if you weren't dissecting Friday, you could feasibly leave town.

However, I think that the kids who aren't dissecting that day still have to show up for the beginning to explain their last dissection to the group taking over. Like "Hey other side of the team, on Wednesday we dissected the ass cheeks very nicely. Marvel in our work. Now it's your turn to keep going with this and dissect the thigh and knee." So I don't know if it's mandatory for you to be there in the beginning for that explanation time, but it might be. Hopefully one of the 2nd years will respond with actual information.

OddNath is pretty much right on. If you're the half of your team that's prosecting (presenting) that day, you have to be there for the first 15 minutes or so. While missing a session is only a fraction off the prosection portion of your gross grade, the more importantly, you'd be leaving your partner out to dry and letting down the other half of the team. Way not cool. And just skipping out on your teammates on a day when you're dissecting—super not cool.

Also, about 1/3 of the days when you're not dissecting, you may have a standardized patient session. While you may be able to request a certain day/time later on, I wouldn't bet on that for the first session or two.

My advice: don't make any hard plans for the first few weeks of the semester. Just take some time to figure out how things run, then schedule to your heart's content.

So I had read in the paperwork that all of the immunizations were required prior to registering for classes but after finally getting my shots and reading more I saw that it says "verifications of up to date immunizations must be received by Health Services by July 9th."

Is there anyone else who hasn't sent in their immunization record or anyone who knows if I've created a big problem for myself?

Thanks!

So I had read in the paperwork that all of the immunizations were required prior to registering for classes but after finally getting my shots and reading more I saw that it says "verifications of up to date immunizations must be received by Health Services by July 9th."

Is there anyone else who hasn't sent in their immunization record or anyone who knows if I've created a big problem for myself?

Thanks!

I haven't...don't worry...

Eh, talked to Student Health Services, just get it in by orientation.

Check your emails! They sent out info about a discounted railpass and about a 2 payment (so it will go with your loan disbursements) and 4 payment installment plans for your bill! :)

I'm getting excited! We should start a countdown!

Anyone already in h-town up for some racquetball? PM me.

hey dwigt-
I will be in houston starting august 5th, and i will definately be down for some racquetball!

Has anyone that has sent in their retreat money gotten a confirmation email or letter with more info?

Could you choose to split it into 2 payments on UTlink, or did you have to call?

You have to call to set up the 2-payment installment plan. The number to call is 713-522-3088. They set it up right on the phone. It shows up on UT link the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone that has sent in their retreat money gotten a confirmation email or letter with more info?

I haven't received anything yet.

All I know is that they cashed my check...

I e-mailed the guy in charge, Peter Bourell, to ask for confirmation, and he responded right away. (Though he might not be happy if he's flooded with a hundred similar request e-mails).

Does anyone know how we can find out who our second year mentor is?

Does anyone know how we can find out who our second year mentor is?

I think they're supposed to contact you. I haven't heard from mine either. Not sure who was in charge of doing the match ups.

I just moved into my apartment in the Lanesborough...Wow these are nice! :thumbup:

I have a couple more questions...

This is directed towards the upcoming 2nd year students: What percent of your class would you estimate regularly attended lecture during 1st year? I've never been a big fan of attending lectures in undergrad because I'm more productive studying out of class. I guess that could change in med school. I just don't want to be the only person not going to lecture.

Also do you receive syllabi for each of your classes, Power Point notes, etc? I'm getting all of the TX med schools confused again.

This is directed towards the upcoming 2nd year students: What percent of your class would you estimate regularly attended lecture during 1st year? I've never been a big fan of attending lectures in undergrad because I'm more productive studying out of class. I guess that could change in med school. I just don't want to be the only person not going to lecture.

Not a MS2, but this is what I've heard: almost everyone attends at first, half attendance by first semester's end, and 20 or so at second semester's end. Another way of looking at it is that everyone cannot attend... the lecture halls don't have enough seats. :p

decal's comment was about right, but it also depends on the class.

Also do you receive syllabi for each of your classes, Power Point notes, etc? I'm getting all of the TX med schools confused again.

Syllabi are published online for every class. Printed copies are available in the bookstore for you to bind, put in folders, do whatever you want with.

Powerpoints are published online for most lectures, but it depends on the course and lecturer how quickly they're put up/how accurate they are to what was used in class.

Additional pdf's are published for most courses on Blackboard or on course websites.

aaaaaaaaah! we're starting soooo soon!! Beginning to get a bit nervous...

Does anyone know if or how we can use the university buses before we get IDs?

I just moved into my apartment in the Lanesborough...Wow these are nice! :thumbup:

Hey dude, I'm in Lanesborough too. The apartments are definitely sweet! Have you seen the fitness center? The cardio equipment is kind of bad, but the machines are pretty awesome.

:)

I am getting wildly excited about retreat! I hope everyone is ready for a badass time. Trust me, we're going full force with this. It will ROCK.

As far as retreat questions...as long as you've paid..just remember to be at the Rec Center at [8am??] Whatever Peter Bourell said - he's in charge. And once you meet him, you'll realize it's impossible to make him mad.

August 17th!!! WOOOoooo!!

Anybody know if there is a list of textbooks available that we will need or do we just have to scramble around and find them after the first day of class?

Anybody know if there is a list of textbooks available that we will need or do we just have to scramble around and find them after the first day of class?
If you're assigned a 2nd year buddy, they'll pass along their old books to you. If not, just buy the syllabi on the 1st day of school (it'll be in the bookstore in the basement), then think about books. The syllabus for each course basically has everything that you need to know. The only exception would be gross anatomy (you'll need an atlas), so if you can find a Netter atlas on ebay for a reasonable price, get that now. There's a histo atlas too..but all the slides are online (or at least they were back when I took it).

The official booklist is up. http://med.uth.tmc.edu/administration/edu_programs/ep/schedules/

But like was said, talk to your M2. I'd be happy to tell you what my 2nd year said if you pm me. off the top of my head, you need the netter (but you can get it free when you sign up for ama or something like that), and any rohen anatomy is good since it has actual dissection pictures if you need more real life things. I also bought a medical dictionary since I'm often at a loss for words. But I bought them at half price so it was no biggie :)

Does anyone know what the drop out rate is for first year med students? I have a friend who keeps asking and all i can do is shrug.

Thanks for all of the info. That is a ton of required textbooks!

Thanks for all of the info. That is a ton of required textbooks!

Don't buy the books. I have been told by several students that you may not even need the required books. All you may use is the syllabus. Their advice to me was to wait until we have actually been to class to see how the profs teach.

Does anyone know what the drop out rate is for first year med students? I have a friend who keeps asking and all i can do is shrug.
Very few people actually drop out and never come back-- I'm not even sure if this happens every year. There are a handful of students every year, though, who go AP-- Alternate Pathway is the decelerated program where you stretch out MS1 into 2 years. People do this for all sorts of reasons-- babies, finishing masters degree, health crisis, what-have-you.

And someone mentioned something about a medical dictionary-- I found wikipedia/google to be sufficient any time I had to look up a word.

Textbooks-- I'll do my best to jog my memory and think of what was essential...

Gross Anatomy: Netter atlas and Moore's Clinical Anatomy. Rohen atlas has the actual cadaver pictures-- personally I hated it, but lots of people live by it. Oh and there's a shelf exam at the end for your final-- a shelf exam is written by the board people. It's like 125 step 1 questions pertaining to anatomy. As with all shelf exams, use the BRS (board review series) book. (There's a BRS book for every subject.)

Developmental Anatomy: There's a paperback textbook where most of the pictures in the syllabus come from. I think it's written by Moore & Persaud. I'd say it's helpful, so that you can look at the actual color pictures in the textbook and read the corresponding paragraphs if things get confusing. Also, there's a workbook that goes along with the textbook-- I'm not sure how helpful this is (back before my day, people said test questions came from that book, but I don't think that's true anymore). No shelf exam, at least when I took it.

Biochemistry: The syllabus is dense but has everything. If you get confused, I guess you could use a textbook. Shelf exam for this one-- get the BRS.

Histology: There's a color atlas, forgot what it's called. It's helpful, but if you memorize all the images on the website, that'd be sufficient. There might be a textbook too...totally don't remember. No shelf exam.

ICM: The recommended textbook is the Bates book (like "Guide to Physical Examination" or something). You can honor the class without it, but it is a good resource to have throughout med school. Might as well buy it now.

Anyone in Houston up for getting together this week?

Anyone in Houston up for getting together this week?

On facebook we have a group getting together wednesday at little woodrows in rice village at 8:30.

And I know we wanted to do something Friday also because that is when the pre-entry people will be done with finals

On facebook we have a group getting together wednesday at little woodrows in rice village at 8:30.

And I know we wanted to do something Friday also because that is when the pre-entry people will be done with finals

i kind of want to crash that

If anyone is curious, as of when I went today, the Developmental Anatomy, Histology, and Biochem syllabi are all available at the bookstore. For those three, it was 70 something bucks.

Also, hopefully you checked your emails today, but you bring your white coat to the ceremony. I know it wasn't clear, but that's what you do :) Hopefully I'll see some of ya'll on Tuesday morning!

P.S. I'm not a gunner :) If I was a gunner I wouldn't have told you :D

Hey, is orientation all day?

Computer orientation is only a couple hours but orientation on wednesday I think is pretty much all day. I'm guessing they give you time to go home and change before the white coat though.

I called the school the other day to ask about orientation and they said that it will last until 12:30-1pm depending on when we get our roster pictures taken. We don't have to bring anything to orientation except for ourselves. Also the lady who I spoke to recommended that we dress nicely, which I assume is for the pictures?

ok, so the check-list for those of us who have computer orientation tomorrow:

1) laptop
2) ourselves

Anything else?

Our tank assignments and partners as well as our dissection team color and dates have been posted on the gross anatomy course website.

Team Orange >>> Team White :smuggrin:

Wow I met a looooot of people today.

Two Rows tonight.
Volcano's tomorrow. :thumbup:

Team white is where it is AT!!!!!

E1!!! YAY

P.S. Can someone explain how this all works to me! I get than one day white dissects and another day orange dissects, but other than that i'm lost!

Team white is where it is AT!!!!!

E1!!! YAY

P.S. Can someone explain how this all works to me! I get than one day white dissects and another day orange dissects, but other than that i'm lost!

On the days that your team does not dissect, you have to come in and explain the dissection that you performed the previous time to the other team. In other words, when you aren't dissecting you are teaching.

On the days that your team does not dissect, you have to come in and explain the dissection that you performed the previous time to the other team. In other words, when you aren't dissecting you are teaching.

So Each group of six, orange and white, are all on one cadaver, right?
Then what is the whole peer teaching grading schedule? We just aren't graded every time we teach basically, just the days on that sheet?

So Each group of six, orange and white, are all on one cadaver, right?
Then what is the whole peer teaching grading schedule? We just aren't graded every time we teach basically, just the days on that sheet?

Exactly

I sure hope UT has shut the flood gates. All of the roads around The Lanesborough are completely flooded out.

Do you guys think we are still going to the Retreat this weekend? There are flash flood warnings all freaking day. I'm kind of concerned about leaving my car too. Lol, I had this ingenius idea today to go the Rec Center during the heavy rain. It took like 40mins to get from there back to Lanesborough (less than a mile away). Mmmmm. Good times! :laugh: