******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good call, haha. You're a "glass half full" kinda guy aren't you?

Depends on my mood. I just know about this from personal experience. Try getting motivation for one more set with "Hit me Baby One More Time" being forced down your ears.

Members don't see this ad.

In case any of you care here is the fall schedule for last year's class. I'm sure that ours will be almost identical.

Fall Schedule 2006

uuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 8 am...................:scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is an e-mail I got from the Registrars office in response to my question about the installment plan option for tuition. I edited out some personally identifiable information

Hi Tkatchev,

I spoke with the Registrar's Office and there was technical issue this
weekend that was not allowing medical students to select the installment
plan. They are in the processing of fixing that.

The $15 fee is charged for each time you elect to be put on the
installment plan. In your case as a medical student it would be once a
year. You can choose to have your tuition split into 2 payments or 4
payments.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact our office at
713-500-3088.

There is a section on our website with additional information. I have
copied that information for you below:

How does the installment plan work?

You may choose the installment plan at the time you register. You can
choose this option on UTINK WebStudent (
http://utlink.uth.tmc.edu).

UTLINK is available from 8:00am until 9:00pm, Monday through Saturday.

Options available are as follows: Academic students installments are
divided into three (3) payments. Medical or Dental students installments
are divided into two (2) or four (4) payments. Your first payment is
greater because some fees are not installable. PLEASE NOTE: There is no
installment plan for the summer academic term.

When is my installment due and what amount?

Installment dates and amounts are located on your fee bill or in your
student handbook.

Regards,

Aisha Hanif
Bursar's Office

How do they pay us?

30k - whatever we owe the school..or are we also paid in installments?

Because 30k - installments (rather than lump sum) is worth the $15 if you put in a 5% high yield savings account

What is the average stipend for a student doing summer research? Also, do students who work with a preceptor during the summer get paid ?

I am working on my monthly budget and need to know how I am going to pay for the 2 months during the summer.

Those who get NIH grants receive ~$5100. Unfortunately, due to national level NIH cutbacks in recent years, there were only 16 of those. The powers that be are trying to shore up other funding for the future, but it's not guaranteed yet.

The good news is that NIH funding isn't your only option. If you investigate faculty early, you should can probably assure yourself around $3000 from the PI's funding, the department's, or the dean's office. (I didn't get the NIH grant, but my faculty member scrounged up equivalent funding from his chair. :D ) And there are other options: M.D. Anderson also runs a summer program that pays ~$3000.

So for budgeting, if you stay on top of things and are willing to be somewhat flexible in areas of research (ie, don't expect to get paid by a Derm prof), I think you can safely count on $2500-$3000. But still, you can see my earlier advice on taking out max loans to cover yourself.

As for preceptorships, they last four weeks, so you can do one or two during the summer. If you're in a "rural" environment, they pay $1000 per; in "urban" environments, $500. The program's definitions of rural and urban are somewhat amorphous, from what I hear. Moreover, I've heard of people getting around this by, say, staying in Austin with friends, but driving out to Burnet daily for their "rural" preceptorship.

——

As for choosing lenders, one other point to keep in mind is that a lot of the promotions and special offers with certain lenders only come into effect after you've made certain number of payments—and are cancelled if you consolidate (which, fingers crossed, interest rates will still be favorable for in a few years).

Just a reminder... DFW peeps, come to the Flying Saucer in Addison at 8pm TONIGHT!

Flying Saucer is located at 14999 Montfort Drive, Addison, 75240 (at SW corner of Montfort & Belt Line)

If you need directions or a ride, just pm me! I hope to see a lot of people there! Oh and get excited, it is Trivia Night; lots of fun to be had!

You can now select an installment plan in UTlink as well as add family members to recreation and health.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

2nd page. Not cool.

Alright, I need some advice. I was going to work the second half of this summer at the same hospital I worked at last summer. However, I just found out that they no longer have funding for me, so basically I have nothing to do for the next 1.5 months. Any suggestions?

Alright, I need some advice. I was going to work the second half of this summer at the same hospital I worked at last summer. However, I just found out that they no longer have funding for me, so basically I have nothing to do for the next 1.5 months. Any suggestions?

Don't work in a hospital... you'll be spending the rest of your life doing that. :D
Seriously, it depends. If you got enough money I would travel/do something spontaneous and borderline insane while you still can.
If you need to work, do what I did. Find a friend to give you a job that pays you for working in a city that you don't live in while you travel/anything but work. :cool:

ya'll should go to youtube and just search UT Houston. They have a TON of stuff from retreat and other things. Some are just nice to watch and some are pretty funny.

Members don't see this ad :)

drink...A LOT

Is there any way to sign up or use the rec center before school begins?

Is there any way to sign up or use the rec center before school begins?

I've been wondering this as well. I'm moving into my apt at El Paseo in about a week so it would be nice if I could use the rec center then.

I've been wondering this as well. I'm moving into my apt at El Paseo in about a week so it would be nice if I could use the rec center then.

If not, I'm sure you could get a free weeks pass at Gold's Gym or something.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!
I just sent my responses to the mentor forum. I didn't fill out any of the financial aid stuff (b/c the MD/PhD program takes care of my stipend), so other current students, please feel free to respond to questions 18-22!

I have a question about the way anatomy and histology labs are handled. Some of my friends at other med schools tell me that attending anatomy lab is completely optional but another person from the med school in my hometown told me that students must attend their labs. How is it at Houston?

I have a question about the way anatomy and histology labs are handled. Some of my friends at other med schools tell me that attending anatomy lab is completely optional but another person from the med school in my hometown told me that students must attend their labs. How is it at Houston?

I'm pretty sure its mandatory at Houston. I don't remember ever hearing otherwise.

Histo lab is optional. Anatomy lab is mandatory.

I've been looking at our class schedule and was wondering if anyone knew how the "conference" classes worked? Since they seem to be the same lecture back to back, do we choose one?

I've been looking at our class schedule and was wondering if anyone knew how the "conference" classes worked? Since they seem to be the same lecture back to back, do we choose one?
Biochemistry conferences are twice a week-- so yeah, there's 2 back to back but you only go to one. Your 1st week, you'd go to 1 hour of Conf A and 1 hour of Conf B. That said, they aren't required (at least not when I took it), but can be very helpful if you're been keeping up with the lectures. During my year, it added up to a small amount of extra credit if you went to most of them.

Don't be intimidated by all the course hours! You'll get used to it fast. That, or you'll discover streaming video. I was personally a class goer, but you'll figure out what works for you.

Oh, and about gross anatomy-- back in my day (haha, sounds like it was 100 years ago), we dissected every single lab. But then starting last year, each group would dissect every other lab (depending on which team you're on, orange or white). That's probably what you're going to do. So it's not as bad as it looks.

Biochemistry conferences are twice a week-- so yeah, there's 2 back to back but you only go to one. Your 1st week, you'd go to 1 hour of Conf A and 1 hour of Conf B. That said, they aren't required (at least not when I took it), but can be very helpful if you're been keeping up with the lectures. During my year, it added up to a small amount of extra credit if you went to most of them.

What is the difference between a Biochemistry lecture and a conference. Also, what are the advantages of going to class over watching the lectures online? Wouldn't going to class cut down on the available study time?

And for anyone that is going to be in Houston soon, on Friday the 13th we're going to have a get together at 7pm at Kelvin Arms in Rice Village. PM me or get on the facebook group if you need to know anymore! I hope to see a lot of people there!

And for anyone that is going to be in Houston soon, on Friday the 13th we're going to have a get together at 7pm at Kelvin Arms in Rice Village. PM me or get on the facebook group if you need to know anymore! I hope to see a lot of people there!

Is that the place where they had the pre-interview get together thing? Because people were literally smoking in my face, med students included.

Is there not a place in Houston where we can drink and not get lung cancer?

Once people are moved in, we can start hosting our own parties, but for now Houston hasn't passed any no-smoking-in-bars laws so I think we're stuck.

I didn't have a problem with the smoke at the pre-interview thing and I can be pretty sensitive - maybe you just got unlucky?

Is that the place where they had the pre-interview get together thing? Because people were literally smoking in my face, med students included.

Is there not a place in Houston where we can drink and not get lung cancer?

Once people are moved in, we can start hosting our own parties, but for now Houston hasn't passed any no-smoking-in-bars laws so I think we're stuck.

I didn't have a problem with the smoke at the pre-interview thing and I can be pretty sensitive - maybe you just got unlucky?

We picked the place after some discussion on the facebook group. I also went through several reviews and it seemed to have the best combo of parking, less busyness, and drinks we could all think of.

And I heard it was the pre-interview social place but since I never heard about the social, I can't be for sure :p

If there are any other places that would be go to go to, let me know, and we can all plan one before classes start. There is LOTS of time for more socials before classes :)

We picked the place after some discussion on the facebook group. I also went through several reviews and it seemed to have the best combo of parking, less busyness, and drinks we could all think of.

And I heard it was the pre-interview social place but since I never heard about the social, I can't be for sure :p

If there are any other places that would be go to go to, let me know, and we can all plan one before classes start. There is LOTS of time for more socials before classes :)

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the democratic process involved in picking the location. It's just upsetting to me that there are so few places to drink in Houston where second hand smoke isn't a problem.

Edit: I should be able to selectively ruin organs :)

Hello all! I am the newest member of our class! Since our friends in the admissions office decided to give me such short notice, I am coming to you all for help. So here is what I have done so far:

- Criminal background check

That's it.

Anything else super-important that you think I may need to know/do that the admissions crew may have skipped over. (Come to think of it, I do not remember much of the phone call...due to utter disbelief that it was actually occuring).

I'll be in Houston next weekend trying to find a place to live. Any suggestions?

Can't wait to meet you kids!

Hello all! I am the newest member of our class! Since our friends in the admissions office decided to give me such short notice, I am coming to you all for help. So here is what I have done so far:

That's it.

Anything else super-important that you think I may need to know/do that the admissions crew may have skipped over. (Come to think of it, I do not remember much of the phone call...due to utter disbelief that it was actually occuring).

I'll be in Houston next weekend trying to find a place to live. Any suggestions?

Congrats and WELCOME!

Sounds like you are on top of things! Come and join our facebook group!

That's it.

Order your white coat
Immunizations
Fin Aid
Retreat Form

Forms you need

What is the difference between a Biochemistry lecture and a conference. Also, what are the advantages of going to class over watching the lectures online? Wouldn't going to class cut down on the available study time?
Hey there

Biochem conference is a small group session where you go through problems and concepts. So you'll be given a sheet of problems to try yourself before conference, and then go over them with some super-smart biochem PhD to answer your questions. So you can see how it's really helpful if you prepare, but worthless if you never get around to doing the questions. And the concepts are whatever you're covering in class.

Sorry you're hearing so much from me-- I am only 1 opinion about class-going and if anything, I'm in the minority. I preferred going to class 1st and 2nd years b/c I can't pay attention to a video on my couch in my apartment. I'll be sitting there with the video going..then I'll be chatting on IM and going to the fridge every 5 minutes. I have no control whatsoever (which is why I do most of my reading outside of my apartment, too). Also, sometimes the video doesn't come out well, or you can't hear something, and you spend 10 minutes going back over that one little section trying to figure out what's important. Personally, for me, watching videos ends up taking longer than just going to class.

Another perk of going to class is just seeing friends, and they also help me if I don't understand something in the lecture. Like I'll just lean over and ask my buddy about a term I don't know or a concept I don't get, and I'll get a response within 10 seconds instead of sitting there confused.

But most people would disagree with me for one reason or another. I know both class-goers and video watchers who have done very well in the 1st 2 years. Just find out what works for you.

Thanks for the response. I have one more question for you. When should we get our books and where should we buy them?

hey all,

does anyone know how well a tablet pc would work for us incoming students? i.e. ease of taking notes on downloadable powerpoints and viewing histo slides. thanks a bunch!

hey all,

does anyone know how well a tablet pc would work for us incoming students? i.e. ease of taking notes on downloadable powerpoints and viewing histo slides. thanks a bunch!

I got a tablet pc for school this fall (Lenovo X60 Tablet). I saw several students use them during lectures and they looked very efficient and worth the extra money.

I got a tablet pc for school this fall (Lenovo X60 Tablet). I saw several students use them during lectures and they looked very efficient and worth the extra money.

Thanks! Do you know if they were using One Note? And/or if you can readily pull up and write on powerpoints or histo slides without converting?

The HP Pavillion TX 1220US caught my eye, but I'm not sure if it's the most bang for my buck. Awful pretty though..

Thanks for the response. I have one more question for you. When should we get our books and where should we buy them?
I'd suggest waiting until you've been matched up with your 2nd year buddy before buying books-- I received a bunch of hand-me-downs, and subsequently passed them along to my 1st year. Also, remember that the vast majority of what you need to know comes out of your syllabus-- textbooks are just for reference. Except in gross anatomy-- you'll definitely need an atlas for that.

So I get most of my books for free and then buy the rest on half.com or ebay. There's also the bookstore at school and Major's bookstore down the street. Oh, and the LRC has textbooks that you can read there.

Off the top of my head, stuff that was helpful 1st semester:
1) The embryo paperback textbook, can't remember what it was called (it's probably on the course website, or you'll find out when the course starts). There's a workbook that goes with it too-- get it if it's cheap on ebay.
2) You'll need a gross anatomy atlas-- I personally liked the Netter better than Rohen. Oh if you join AMSA, you'll get a Netter for free.
3) There's this clinical anatomy book, I think by Moore?, which was also helpful.
4) The histo atlas was helpful, but you can see all the slides online too.

Wow, I impress myself with how much I've forgotton. Sorry I can't remember the names of the books-- maybe one of the current MS2's can fill in the blanks.

Thanks! Do you know if they were using One Note? And/or if you can readily pull up and write on powerpoints or histo slides without converting?

The HP Pavillion TX 1220US caught my eye, but I'm not sure if it's the most bang for my buck. Awful pretty though..

www.tabletpcreview.com has reviews on most of the tablets out there. Not sure about the One Note or the writing on powerpoints or histo slides.

hey all,

All the syllabi are available as PDF's, so you can download and write on them to your heart's content. I saw a few people who did this, but never really got their opinions on them. Seems like it was pretty useful--but I'm just much more of a pen and paper sort of guy.

And what is it really like the first day?

It's lots of waiting in lines, herd-movement, picking a few people you know and staying near them, having Cathy Courtney sing to you and they'll tell you a few interesting tidbits about your class like anyone who has a PhD or went to Harvard or was a ranch hand [all these happened to us].

But it's fun too. You'll bring a check book and get your first huge stack of syllabi and then it will soon sink in. The "oh ****...this is for real" feeling ;)

All the syllabi are available as PDF's, so you can download and write on them to your heart's content. I saw a few people who did this, but never really got their opinions on them. Seems like it was pretty useful--but I'm just much more of a pen and paper sort of guy.

Sweet.
Well... tablets are the new pen and paper. :thumbup:

PDF files require separate software to annotate on them. Just google 'pdf annotator'

You can annotate on powerpoints without any extra software.

It's lots of waiting in lines, herd-movement, picking a few people you know and staying near them, having Cathy Courtney sing to you and they'll tell you a few interesting tidbits about your class like anyone who has a PhD or went to Harvard or was a ranch hand [all these happened to us].

But it's fun too. You'll bring a check book and get your first huge stack of syllabi and then it will soon sink in. The "oh ****...this is for real" feeling ;)

Waiting in lines for what?

Oh. Wow. I'll try not to let that affect my feelings toward the retreat since I already paid for it.

I hate that all the good characters are male. :mad:

I LOVE the two a-holes skits. They crack me up. my bf and I do a funny impression of them. (ok, its really only funny to us).

"Yeah we wanna see the babies. You guys got a show room or sumpthin?"