******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a Mac person but I had to give it up because my lemon of an iBook finally died (seriously I had SO many probs I was very sad because I love mac). But because of various med school requirements I got a Windows laptop. Personally, I would check out Circuit City for laptops. Best Buy is a bunch of crap and they want you to buy things you DO NOT need. My laptop fulfills everything, I got the accidental coverage warranty (and yes I already broke the LCD and got it fixed... all for free!) and it was under $1000. Its not a tablet but I really like it so far. It is "vista capable" but I'm personally not ready to upgrade, and I'm glad to know we shouldn't upgrade. UTH should really have that in bold because most of the new computers are going to have Vista. But yeah, when my dad and I were shopping for laptops we literally went everywhere and found nowhere better than Circuit City. We both got great computers for the best price we found anywhere.
 
Hey y'all ... so glad to hear that I can keep my MacBook with the Bootcamp software -- I am a die-hard mac person, and I was a little sad when reading the ban on Apple products. Also I just wanted to mention that I am getting married in December and my fiance is really excited about meeting everyone and their significant others to possibly start some sports groups. I told him about the prior post that there is a 6'7" basketball-playing classmate, and he's very excited. We are actually in Houston this weekend checking out places to live. I really think that we are going to live at the Alta Lofts, which are really great. I don't think we're going to be able to make it to the welcome weekend but we're looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow, how did you read my mind Ana? Anyway, here's some of your future classmates getting Punk'd. Ya'll are indeed gonna have fun.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8JRHSykNso[/YOUTUBE]
 
In the computer specs page it lists Intel Core2 Duo processor and also says "It is imperative to have an Intel processor running at least Microsoft Windows XP Professional."

Does that mean we can't buy a laptop with an AMD dual core processor? I can't imagine a processor having anything to do with compatibility of software. Anyone have any idea? I prefer AMD to Intel, but I also want to follow the requirements.
 
The rec center does have a solitary racquetball court. What's really stupid is that they rebuilt the entire rec after a lightning strike in 2001, and they only kept that single court. (Sorry, pet peeve of mine.)

That said, you can call to reserve the court a day beforehand, so you can generally play whenever you want.

Wow that's actually great news. Thanks.
 
Anyone have thoughts on living alone vs living with a roommate(s)? I know this has been discussed before elsewhere but I was looking for some thoughts from future classmates.
 
any chance there's a badminton court(s) in the rec center? in the course of my interview day at southwestern that was the sole thing that excited me... four more years of indoor badminton. heh.
 
Anyone have thoughts on living alone vs living with a roommate(s)? I know this has been discussed before elsewhere but I was looking for some thoughts from future classmates.

My sister will be a senior at Rice next year, so I am planning on sharing an apartment with her. I think it will be nice to live with someone outside of the med school bubble! Really whether or not you should live with roommates or not is up to you and how well you deal with others or alone. I personally enjoy having others around me so I do not mind having roommates as long as I have my own room.

PS Ham94, my sis and I are looking into Alta Lofts as well!
 
Anyone have thoughts on living alone vs living with a roommate(s)? I know this has been discussed before elsewhere but I was looking for some thoughts from future classmates.
Living on my own - it'll result in a much lower stress level for me. I'm an introvert (using the psychology definition - not the common one. Meaning I like social situations but I need alone time everyday to feel normal) So I can really only destress when I'm by myself. I think it really varies with the person. If you're the kind of person who needs socialization to relax, maybe a roomie is a good idea 🙂
 
Got my acceptance packet yesterday

Me too. It seems a lot of paperwork is due March 15th. Too short of a time, huh? Well that adds to the loads of things I have to get done by May before the baby comes. AHHHHHHHHH. I keep telling myself I'll have a 3 month break before school starts but I don't know if taking care of a 2 year old and a 3 month old counts as a break. I'm on bed rest and still have to take two exams this week.

Good luck to y'all on getting stuff completed in the package. I so want to attend welcome week but I am not sure if I'll still be on bed rest or not. If not, I'll still try to go to Retreat.

See ya soon.
 
Me too. It seems a lot of paperwork is due March 15th. Too short of a time, huh? Well that adds to the loads of things I have to get done by May before the baby comes. AHHHHHHHHH. I keep telling myself I'll have a 3 month break before school starts but I don't know if taking care of a 2 year old and a 3 month old counts as a break. I'm on bed rest and still have to take two exams this week.

Good luck to y'all on getting stuff completed in the package. I so want to attend welcome week but I am not sure if I'll still be on bed rest or not. If not, I'll still try to go to Retreat.

See ya soon.

I hope that everything works out for you! Hope to see you at welcome weekend, but if not, then at orientation and retreat!
 
Me too. It seems a lot of paperwork is due March 15th. Too short of a time, huh? Well that adds to the loads of things I have to get done by May before the baby comes. AHHHHHHHHH. I keep telling myself I'll have a 3 month break before school starts but I don't know if taking care of a 2 year old and a 3 month old counts as a break. I'm on bed rest and still have to take two exams this week.

Good luck to y'all on getting stuff completed in the package. I so want to attend welcome week but I am not sure if I'll still be on bed rest or not. If not, I'll still try to go to Retreat.

See ya soon.
My sister is pregnant right now, too!

Good luck to you! :luck: I hope everything works out - and try not to stress about getting everything in. You'll get it done 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay, i got in!!!! Dr. K called me today so I get to go to school with yall!!!!!

I'm super excited hence all the exclaimation points but does anyone know how to sign up for student housing? Thanks!
 
Yay, i got in!!!! Dr. K called me today so I get to go to school with yall!!!!!

I'm super excited hence all the exclaimation points but does anyone know how to sign up for student housing? Thanks!

Congrats! Are you OOS or did you get in waitlist? And be sure to post on facebook and say hi!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to go! I want to get plugged in with all of you! YAY for medical school!!! (I know I know... let me be happy while I can 😉)
 
Just got the ethical pledge in the mail. I wonder why they didn't send it in the acceptance packet.
 
hey UT people! i can't wait to meet all of you. it's going to be insane! 4 lovely years. lol. do any of you like to study some in groups? NO, I AM NOT A GUNNER! 🙂 Chill. Haha. also, it seems like lectures go for a long time each day, but watching them online at twice the speed seems like a cool option. what are y'all planning to do? skipping lectures is going to seem very weird! 🙄 perhaps, i'm just being neurotic.
 
i'm sure practically everyone will go to the first few lectures and then weigh their effectiveness from there. my girlfriend gets streamed video in pharmacy school yet still goes to class. were i in her shoes i would definitely only go to the mandatory ones... i'd rather watch the class twice at double speed than once on the comp and once in person.
 
I am assuming to the address on the envelope.

On a different note, who here is disappointed that our last exam day was moved forward a week?

Oh me! What are they stashing in extra in that time they cut out? Now we'll be done rightbeforechristmas 🙂
 
Well imagine how i felt when receiving the change-of-date email today. I'm getting married on the 22nd!!! I called and they said that the last exam will be over with by noon on the 21st, so hopefully it will all work out.
 
Well imagine how i felt when receiving the change-of-date email today. I'm getting married on the 22nd!!! I called and they said that the last exam will be over with by noon on the 21st, so hopefully it will all work out.

wooo bachelor/bachelorette party last day of finals!!! You'll have to take good care of yourself so you can look refreshed and excited for your wedding! But congrats because that is exciting!
 
So my spring break is next week... if anyone is going to be in the DFW area we should definitely meet up! I'm super pumped to meet you guys!
 
Do we need to use parental info on the fafsa for Houston?
 
I hope so. I went ahead and put it in; extracting the info from my father over the cell was extremely painful. He thinks email is more secure.

EFC comes up to $0 regardless of what you put in anyhow, I believe.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope so. I went ahead and put it in; extracting the info from my father over the cell was extremely painful. He thinks email is more secure.

EFC comes up to $0 regardless of what you put in anyhow, I believe.

I put my family info and my EFC is zero. I think for med school it is automatically that and putting family info just lets the school know but doesn't have much or anything to do with the majority of the aid you'll get
 
Are there any classes at UTH that are strangely difficult? I realize that this is medical school and that everything is difficult, but I was wondering if there are one or two classes that stand out from others for being ridiculously hard and detailed oriented?
 
So my spring break is next week... if anyone is going to be in the DFW area we should definitely meet up! I'm super pumped to meet you guys!

I was actually hoping to plan a DFW area get together sometime next week, so any suggestions about when and where would be great!