******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BTW, I like you guys. If I go to Baylor can I still come to your parties? 😍

I'm gonna try to make sure our classes get together next year. The MS1 classes are trying right now but it still hasn't happened yet. Maybe we can be the party officers for our classes haha!
 
so everyone getting pumped up for welcome weekend??? We should have an SDN get together on Friday night!

I agree. I think someplace in Rice Village would be nice and easy for people to find. PS I can drive people if they need a ride!

You don't have to purchase the computer before your tuition and housing loans go through. Buy whenever you want, then submit your receipts. Fin aid then looks them over, makes sure you match specs, and increases your loans accordingly. They mail you updated loan paperwork, you agree to the increase, then they finally deposit the money. All together it takes 2-4 weeks.

Match the specs? If I purchase a mac, would they still agree to increase my fin aid? (It specifically says that apple computers are not allowed) I just don't want to purchase a mac, expecting to receive fin aid and then not get it. Perhaps I am just being paranoid?

I'm gonna try to make sure our classes get together next year. The MS1 classes are trying right now but it still hasn't happened yet. Maybe we can be the party officers for our classes haha!


I will help you out!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Match the specs? If I purchase a mac, would they still agree to increase my fin aid? (It specifically says that apple computers are not allowed) I just don't want to purchase a mac, expecting to receive fin aid and then not get it. Perhaps I am just being paranoid?

I got a MacBook, and got my fin aid with no problems. I have about a dozen friends who also got Mac and had no problems. As long as you buy a copy of Windows and partition your drive for Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop, you can run XP fine and they have no grounds to deny your funds.
 
I got a MacBook, and got my fin aid with no problems. I have about a dozen friends who also got Mac and had no problems. As long as you buy a copy of Windows and partition your drive for Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop, you can run XP fine and they have no grounds to deny your funds.

Thanks! I was hoping you would say that!
 
I got a MacBook, and got my fin aid with no problems. I have about a dozen friends who also got Mac and had no problems. As long as you buy a copy of Windows and partition your drive for Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop, you can run XP fine and they have no grounds to deny your funds.

Will whoever I get my comp from know what all that stuff means or do I need to learn?

:hardy: It's on Dancer, and we're gonna throw some d*mn good parties!
 
Oh and if we want to do something happy hour ish/dinner, Baker's St Pub in the Village has really good food and their happy hour goes until 9pm I think
 
Oh and if we want to do something happy hour ish/dinner, Baker's St Pub in the Village has really good food and their happy hour goes until 9pm I think

Sounds good to me. How about everyone meet there around 7?
 
Oh and if we want to do something happy hour ish/dinner, Baker's St Pub in the Village has really good food and their happy hour goes until 9pm I think
A friend of mine who did his masters at houston said that place was really great and even had a trivia night. Anyone want to make up a team when we move to Houston? You know, in all that free time we'll have 😉
 
Well, I don't think I'll make it to the SDN get-together but I'll hopefully see y'all during welcome weekend. I will be the VERY pregnant gal so look out for me.
 
Bump and I created a facebook event for our little get together Friday night so come and RSVP if you will be there!
 
Hey, is anyone thinking about getting stethoscopes yet. someone offered to get me one as a gift, but i'm wondering if it's smarter to wait until school starts. thoughts?
 
Hey, is anyone thinking about getting stethoscopes yet. someone offered to get me one as a gift, but i'm wondering if it's smarter to wait until school starts. thoughts?

My mom is a nurse and had a new Littman III. She offered it to me, so I took it. In my opinion, I would not turn down a free stethoscope (as long as it is a nice one).
 
My mom is a nurse and had a new Littman III. She offered it to me, so I took it. In my opinion, I would not turn down a free stethoscope (as long as it is a nice one).

What you're too good now for a plane ol' stethoscope? JK, I'm holding off on buying one until I know for sure I'll need it, but I wouldn't turn down a free one either.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
b-u-m-p
Just get a nice litmann like a cardio III. trust me... sometime in your medical career you'll use a stethoscope 🙂
 
b-u-m-p
Just get a nice litmann like a cardio III. trust me... sometime in your medical career you'll use a stethoscope 🙂

The issue isn't whether I'll ever use one. That goes without saying. But I would like to, at least, hear from current students about what kind to get or how much to spend, how much is too much, etc etc.

Edit: That and I don't wanna be the kid who shows up first day of lecture with a stethoscope, not that I'm saying you'll do that. But there's always that fear, like the dream people have of finding themselves in their underwear in front of the class. I fear that if I own a stethoscope I may lose my mind and bring it with me to lecture one day, and nobody wants that to happen. So if I don't own one, I can't possibly bring it...problem solved...bad dreams gone.
 
The issue isn't whether I'll ever use one. That goes without saying. But I would like to, at least, hear from current students about what kind to get or how much to spend, how much is too much, etc etc.

Edit: That and I don't wanna be the kid who shows up first day of lecture with a stethoscope, not that I'm saying you'll do that. But there's always that fear, like the dream people have of finding themselves in their underwear in front of the class. I fear that if I own a stethoscope I may lose my mind and bring it with me to lecture one day, and nobody wants that to happen. So if I don't own one, I can't possibly bring it...problem solved...bad dreams gone.

You mean you're not already wearing one? I do it just so people know that I'm kind of a big deal and that I'm going to medical school 🙂 jk. Sry if I came off wrong earlier I was just trying to be funny.

From my other med school and UTH friends, I'm pretty sure you don't need stethoscope etc until you start seeing "patients" as in you start histories, vitals, all that jazz, which I don't remember the start date of for UTH. Everyone has told me Littmann Cardio III is the best to get. I have the Littmann Classic II S.E. (I got it in high school) and I've heard that it will be ok since I have it, but that if you're getting a new one, go cardio III.

But on a funner note (as if stethoscopes aren't fun!) who is totally excited about everything related to medical school! I'm trying to live in the moment but I'm just so excited! 😱 <-- that is my excited face 🙂
 
Littman is pretty popular, but some see it as the "Nike" of stethoscopes...ie that you're paying for name, not quality...for anyone interested:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=253778&highlight=stethoscope

I realize that it's way too early to have done this much research on stethoscopes, but i figured if i was going to get one, I want a good one (and also because, like aggiesarah, i can't stop thinking about starting med school)
 
Littman is pretty popular, but some see it as the "Nike" of stethoscopes...ie that you're paying for name, not quality...for anyone interested:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=253778&highlight=stethoscope

I realize that it's way too early to have done this much research on stethoscopes, but i figured if i was going to get one, I want a good one (and also because, like aggiesarah, i can't stop thinking about starting med school)

My thoughts exactly.
 
yeah, Littmann is all brand name and such, and I guess if you have the time to try out different stethoscopes and pick which one you like that's good, but in the two years I spent shadowing/volunteering that I did (which got pretty hands on) every doctor or nurse told me that for anything more than taking a bp or listening to make sure the heart is beating a Littmann was the way to go. To them it was more of the Rolls Royce or some other fancy but also very good car. I think as long as you put some money into the stethoscope to make sure you get a good one, you should be fine. The littmann is good though may just be passed down from generation to generation of med student, but if the myth is there maybe there is a reason 🙂 Just whatever you do don't get those cheapo stethoscopes that have the double tubing. Those are cheap and no good.

Oh yeah, and all this med school jazz really reminds me of when I got accepted to college in Octoberish and I almost immediately had to start buying stuff for my dorm room. I even really tried to hold off because I knew I was just going to get too much and have to lug it all down but I bought it anyway because I was too excited. And I did tons of online research on what to buy and such. just like i'm doing now with med school. I know med school is going to be rough but I'm just so darn excited to be going!
 
Don't worry about your stethoscopes guys. If you need something to do to pass the time and enjoy researching it, then go ahead and pull an AggieSarah 😉 👍 .

I forgot mine a few times on days I needed it and they have extras you can borrow. It's not something that will be of great importance your first year so don't freak out like I did, go to some shady scrubs shop off Holcombe and Kirby and buy a Littman II for $100 bucks when the school is selling them for $80!

And the same goes with the laptops. You don't need it until spring semester so don't freak out if you don't show up in Houston with one. I realize...every single person will show up with a laptop and stethoscope anyways...but who knows maybe one person will heed my words!

We just picked committees for organizing the summer retreat for you guys, everyone is excited. We also got our tshirts for welcome weekend so you guys know we're MS1s to ask questions. Good times!
 
Do we have the opportunity to ride along with Life Flight during our rotations?

Also, was there more flooding at the school?
 
Someone broke a water pipe in the sprinkler system and flooded the downstairs. I don't know much more than that.

that's...actually all there is to say basically. around midnight monday...the fire alarm went off so most of us just went home and considered it a sign to stop studying for the night.
 
Bumping with my previous question.

Do we have the opportunity to ride along with Life Flight during our rotations?
 
Has anyone received financial aid info after submitting the FAFSA?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received financial aid info after submitting the FAFSA?

i haven't heard anything. I even went and looked on UTlink and they don't even have the fall term up.

Also, does anyone know any info about houston's metro system? i'm looking for long term rail passes and that sort of thing. i'm trying to look online but i figured if anyone already knew anything it might be easier 🙂
 
i haven't heard anything. I even went and looked on UTlink and they don't even have the fall term up.

Also, does anyone know any info about houston's metro system? i'm looking for long term rail passes and that sort of thing. i'm trying to look online but i figured if anyone already knew anything it might be easier 🙂

They usually don't get the financial aid stuff up for awhile, but they always get the $$$ to everybody on time........which is nice 😎

The last two years metro has offered the "u-pass" for the rail, you pay 52 bucks to ride all year long. About the middle of this year they threatened to get rid of it and we signed petitions so they decided not to.....but who knows what will happen next year. I know you can buy monthly passes for about $30, which sounds not so good until you consider driving/parking would cost much much more. Hopefully they'll keep the upass around!

Of course you could always take the UT shuttle.....chances are if you're close enough to walk to the rail you could easily walk to student housing and take the shuttle.
 
They usually don't get the financial aid stuff up for awhile, but they always get the $$$ to everybody on time........which is nice 😎

The last two years metro has offered the "u-pass" for the rail, you pay 52 bucks to ride all year long. About the middle of this year they threatened to get rid of it and we signed petitions so they decided not to.....but who knows what will happen next year. I know you can buy monthly passes for about $30, which sounds not so good until you consider driving/parking would cost much much more. Hopefully they'll keep the upass around!

Of course you could always take the UT shuttle.....chances are if you're close enough to walk to the rail you could easily walk to student housing and take the shuttle.

Yeah I will hopefully be in the University Housing, but I didn't know which one was easier etc. I remember hearing too that you can get a cheap night parking permit so that you can get to class by shuttle/rail, and then go home for dinner and then drive back to study at night. do you know anything about that?
 
Yeah I will hopefully be in the University Housing, but I didn't know which one was easier etc. I remember hearing too that you can get a cheap night parking permit so that you can get to class by shuttle/rail, and then go home for dinner and then drive back to study at night. do you know anything about that?

Why would you want to drive back at night? For the library or study groups or some such?

Edit: Sorry I posted this question. I didn't catch the phrase "to study at night," in your post. I must be blind.
 
Why would you want to drive back at night? For the library or study groups or some such?

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I don't always study really well in my apartment so it would be nice if I could get back to the library etc.
 
They usually don't get the financial aid stuff up for awhile, but they always get the $$$ to everybody on time........which is nice 😎

The last two years metro has offered the "u-pass" for the rail, you pay 52 bucks to ride all year long. About the middle of this year they threatened to get rid of it and we signed petitions so they decided not to.....but who knows what will happen next year. I know you can buy monthly passes for about $30, which sounds not so good until you consider driving/parking would cost much much more. Hopefully they'll keep the upass around!

Of course you could always take the UT shuttle.....chances are if you're close enough to walk to the rail you could easily walk to student housing and take the shuttle.

When you say on time, what do you mean? Just in the nick of time for school to start, or several months in advance so people can start using the money on housing and other such things? Long story short, about when are funds actually distributed?
 
Have any of you heard anything about welcome weekend since you turned in your form and money? Just wondering because I haven't heard anything at all.
 
so i think i read it earlier but can someone confirm that we can definitely have a mac next year as long as we can run windows xp on it?
 
Yeah I will hopefully be in the University Housing, but I didn't know which one was easier etc. I remember hearing too that you can get a cheap night parking permit so that you can get to class by shuttle/rail, and then go home for dinner and then drive back to study at night. do you know anything about that?

I know they have parking passes that allow you to park after 5 or 5:30 pm....I think you can park on the weekends too. I know they're cheaper but I'm not sure by how much.
 
When you say on time, what do you mean? Just in the nick of time for school to start, or several months in advance so people can start using the money on housing and other such things? Long story short, about when are funds actually distributed?

I usually get the money the week before class starts......the "official" statement you'll get from the school always says they won't hand out the dough before the first day of class, but I always get it the week before.

I wish they would release it sooner, the summer before I started first year I almost starved to death after moving expenses, deposits, rent, etc.....I call it the "financial aid diet." You'll start school with 6 pack abs 😀
 
I just walked by the admissions office and glanced at the various papers taped to the glass wall. I had no idea the average MCAT for incoming students was 31, the highest being 42. WOW. I believe this is a dramatic increase from previous years. It has been awhile since I have been in your shoes though. Congrats and enjoy your next four years.👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is anyone going dressed up for welcome weekend?? golf clothes etc? I think it'd be fun
 
Bumping with my previous question.

Do we have the opportunity to ride along with Life Flight during our rotations?

On my tour we went up to the helipad and talked to the flight medic and flight nurse before watching them take off to whereever they keep the choppers when they're not in use. The nurse said we could ride along if we do an ER residency there (sucks for us!)... our tour guide added that sometimes the resident will be left behind if it's a heavy patient, because of weight restrictions. Eek!
 
so i think i read it earlier but can someone confirm that we can definitely have a mac next year as long as we can run windows xp on it?
 
so i think i read it earlier but can someone confirm that we can definitely have a mac next year as long as we can run windows xp on it?

I cannot confirm nor deny those reports :laugh:
Yeah people have said that as long as you can run xp on it, which you can do with some fancy schmancy program. So I think if you get one/have one you should be fine!
 
I know they have parking passes that allow you to park after 5 or 5:30 pm....I think you can park on the weekends too. I know they're cheaper but I'm not sure by how much.


They are $30 each semster plus $10 the first time to get the card. You can park after 5 pm. I use my parking pass alot on the weekends to catch the light rail to go to baseball games or bars downtown.