UT Houston (McGovern) vs UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paris1000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently received an acceptance to UTSW. I know either way I will get a great education. I just am curious what other's thoughts may be. I would appreciate any insight or feedback anyone is willing to offer!

McGovern

Pros
  • Solid program
  • Students seemed super chill and laidback
  • Connected well with the faculty I interviewed with
  • Texas Medical Center opportunities
  • Have an aunt in the area (so some level of family support)
Cons
  • Pass/Fail first semester before transition to H/HP/P/F
  • Not as prestigious - has a good match list though

UTSW

Pros
  • Parkland is still a great place for rotations
  • Really like elements of their curriculum like the scholarly activity and dedicated time for it
  • Nice facilities/study spaces
  • Liked how they break the larger groups into smaller groups with mentors (mentioned on the McGovern website but not really highlighted/emphasized like UTSW)
  • Pass/Fail in pre-clerkship
  • Considered more prestigious
Neutral
  • Did not get to speak with faculty on my interview day, so did not get as much insight into that element. Heard their diversity office is very supportive though.
Cons
  • Did not get the impression of competitiveness that has been mentioned in the past about UTSW. The students do seem to have a more serious tone about them though.
  • Slightly higher cost of living

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at Mcgovern and did not interview at UTSW this cycle so take my perspective for what you will. Go with UTSW and don't look back. UTSW is an elite school and Mcgovern seemed like just another run of the mill mid pack state school (which is not an insult there's a lot of good mid tier state schools including this one). I ended up ranking MMS below other TX mid-tiers. If I had this choice it would be UTSW hands down.

Reactions: 1 user
This is really just a matter of prestige vs fit. UTSW is a huge academic powerhouse more so than MMS but I get the feeling you felt that you fit better at MMS? Also, I wouldn't say MMS is "another run of mill mid pack state school". With access to the TMC, the opportunities at MMS does put it slightly above TAMU, UTMB, and others in Texas.

Reactions: 2 users
This is really just a matter of prestige vs fit. UTSW is a huge academic powerhouse more so than MMS but I get the feeling you felt that you fit better at MMS? Also, I wouldn't say MMS is "another run of mill mid pack state school". With access to the TMC, the opportunities at MMS does put it slightly above TAMU, UTMB, and others in Texas.
Their match-list would say otherwise. Their match list is essentially the same as Longs, Techs, Tamus, and UTMBs with slight variations amongst some years. They match well don't get me wrong but the TMS for undergrad med training is also a bit overrated IMO (not to mention other 2 mid-tiers, TAMU and UTMB have access to the TMC). Now for residency, I could see it being a huge plus.

Reactions: 1 users
UTSW, and yeah - the faculty is supportive based off of my experience with them. The diversity office is very laid back and fun.

Reactions: 1 user