***UT Memphis Class Of 2010 Official Thread!!!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CaptainDave, I am doing a thesis for undergrad (requirement for the Honors College), so I have a feeling that mine is not quite as time-consuming as your's. I just keep reminding myself that it isn't going to magically go away one day, so the sooner I finish it the better.

WhatUpDoc, was that avatar picture taken at BigFoot in Memphis?

Members don't see this ad.

Dixie06 said:
WhatUpDoc, was that avatar picture taken at BigFoot in Memphis?

Oh wow... I have no idea, I was just avatar searching one day and thought it looked pretty darn funny :laugh: But now that you mention it, I may have to take a trip down to BigFoot and attempt the Sasquatch Burger Challenge. Maybe I can throw on my old skateboard helmet and attempt a recreation of the avatar. That would be priceless :p

WhatUpDoc! said:
Oh wow... I have no idea, I was just avatar searching one day and thought it looked pretty darn funny :laugh: But now that you mention it, I may have to take a trip down to BigFoot and attempt the Sasquatch Burger Challenge. Maybe I can throw on my old skateboard helmet and attempt a recreation of the avatar. That would be priceless :p

Haha! I think you should save the reenactment for orientation week... that way maybe I can witness it. I was there one day over Easter break w/ my parents and saw someone attempt it. Needless to say, he was not successful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dixie06 said:
Haha! I think you should save the reenactment for orientation week... that way maybe I can witness it. I was there one day over Easter break w/ my parents and saw someone attempt it. Needless to say, he was not successful.

I would have to fast that whole week prior, and then I'd probably only get half of it down. :laugh: That thing is friggin huge!!! The bread and toppings alone (lettuce, tomatoes, pickles) could be a meal in itself. The website says its 4 pounds... that's 16 Mickey D's Quarter Pounder w/Cheeses. :wow: That wasn't even attempted on Super Size Me (at least not at one time).

I was gonna ask if that burger was from that place. I went there when I was down for my interview and saw it on the menu. Ridiculous!

When are ya'll planning to make the move to Memphis?

Dixie06 said:
When are ya'll planning to make the move to Memphis?
probably around August 1st, although a week earlier would be better if possible. you?

anybody figured out where they're living yet? my brother might be going to law school at UM and he has been looking at places in midtown so he will be a little closer. i kind of want to check out mud island cause i know a lot of people that live there, but i hear it's kind of expensive.

CaptainDave said:
probably around August 1st, although a week earlier would be better if possible. you?

anybody figured out where they're living yet? my brother might be going to law school at UM and he has been looking at places in midtown so he will be a little closer. i kind of want to check out mud island cause i know a lot of people that live there, but i hear it's kind of expensive.

I'm living on Mud Island.... its great! I'll be there right after graduation (mid-May).

I'm staying on campus at the U of M... hatin every second of it and thinking about moving into a newer apartment complex in the St. Jude area (< 5 minutes from Mud Island). The complex is called Uptown Square and they're fairly spacious for the price (~ $650-700 with utilities). Of course my parents live about 15 minutes away in Bartlett so I'm in no rush to go anywhere especially if I can save the monthly rent and lower my total loan borrowing by staying at home :thumbup:

any chance of finding a two-bedroom for ~$800 on the island?

Dixie, you have any plans this summer or just hanging out?

it's likely that my brother will be starting law school at UM in the fall....any ideas on places to look for an apartment that would be convenient for both of us?

CaptainDave said:
it's likely that my brother will be starting law school at UM in the fall....any ideas on places to look for an apartment that would be convenient for both of us?

Hey, did you get the e-mail about the roommate/housing weekend set for the first week of June? I think I got it on Monday, but I can send you a copy if didn't receive it yet. It's basically a weekend set-up for everyone to learn about housing opportunities in Memphis and to meet fellow classmates before orientation week.

yeah I got it. Hopefully I will be able to make it down, but it's an 11 hour drive from up here so I might not make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what I'm doing this summer... I wanted to get into some research at St. Jude, but due to the NIH $$$ crunch, I'm not seeing too many possibilities. I'm sure I'll get some sort of job..... something to pass the time. I'm planning on going to the housing weekend to meet some classmates. It should be fun.

I'm really not sure about prices at any of the apartment complexes on Mud Island. There are about 4 of them though, and I'm sure they range in price. There are also a few houses for rent in my neighborhood on the island.

CaptainDave, maybe you and your brother should live in Midtown? I have a friend that used to be in law school at UM and he lived at "The Bristol on Union". Ya'll could live anywhere downtown, though, and it wouldn't be a long communte. Everything is pretty close together.

yeah that's kind of what we were thinking, Dixie. I'll look up that place you mentioned, thanks for the tip.

I've watched this thread for the last 5 months and only 5 or 6 people have said anything at all and everyone else is probably just checking this site from time to time. In a few months, we are going to get to know each other way too well when we are stuck staring at textbooks while we crave the social life we had during undergrad where we spent more nights at the bar than at the library. Why not start now... Where is everyone from and where did all of you go to undergrad? Any plans for the summer? Feel free to throw out any other questions or relavent info with places to live (or not to).

WhatUpDoc! said:
I'm staying on campus at the U of M... hatin every second of it and thinking about moving into a newer apartment complex in the St. Jude area (< 5 minutes from Mud Island). The complex is called Uptown Square and they're fairly spacious for the price (~ $650-700 with utilities). Of course my parents live about 15 minutes away in Bartlett so I'm in no rush to go anywhere especially if I can save the monthly rent and lower my total loan borrowing by staying at home :thumbup:

I just wandered onto this thread. I am from Bartlett as well. Where did you go to high school?
EDIT: I just realized I am signed on with my fiance's username. Mine is utpremed.

YOYO230 said:
I just wandered onto this thread. I am from Bartlett as well. Where did you go to high school?

I went to high school in VA... I was just taggin along with the parental units when my Dad decided to get stationed out in Millington (Naval Base). :oops:

SSchulenb said:
I've watched this thread for the last 5 months and only 5 or 6 people have said anything at all and everyone else is probably just checking this site from time to time. In a few months, we are going to get to know each other way too well when we are stuck staring at textbooks while we crave the social life we had during undergrad where we spent more nights at the bar than at the library. Why not start now... Where is everyone from and where did all of you go to undergrad? Any plans for the summer? Feel free to throw out any other questions or relavent info with places to live (or not to).

Yeah, this thread hasn't really kicked off like the one for last year's class, but I'm pretty sure people have been busy with finishing up coursework and the like. :) As far as plans for the summer, I'll be on the research grind at St. Jude trying to build up some pre-financial aid loot. I'll probably take a trip to Chicago to visit some family. I'm participating in the MDA (Muscular Dystrophy) summer camp program the first week of June too. I'm kind of eager to get the school year kicked off in August, so the busier I stay, the faster it'll come around... yeah I know, I got issues :laugh:

from what i have seen there is no way to get a 2bedroom on mud island for $800. the cheapest one bedroom that I found there was about 750-800. I have decided to live east of town in bartlett/cordova, near the wolfchase mall. It is about 18 miles to the school, but it is much safer, there is more to do, and two bedrooms run around 750-800 in gated communities.

ezmoney1 said:
from what i have seen there is no way to get a 2bedroom on mud island for $800. the cheapest one bedroom that I found there was about 750-800. I have decided to live east of town in bartlett/cordova, near the wolfchase mall. It is about 18 miles to the school, but it is much safer, there is more to do, and two bedrooms run around 750-800 in gated communities.

Yeah, the Bartlett/Cordova area is pretty nice (my folks stay out that way). I'm just so used to rolling out of bed right before class... I'd rather be closer to campus to catch more :sleep:

I believe there is a place off Adams near Poplar that has 2 BR apartments for a pretty low price. I know one guy who is living there now that enjoys it and he said quite a few M1s are there right now. I forgot the name, but its worth a look.

SSchulenb said:

Well hi there, fellow classmate! Its good to have another one among us. I would imagine that some people are still making their final decisions, & I'd bet we get some more participants come May 15th. I just talked to one of my friends that is going to dietician school at UT next year, and she said that 2 bedrooms on the island are in the $800-900 range. I don't have much useful info. since I'm not looking for an apartment, but I'll be sure to pass along anything else I hear. As for summer plans, I'm heading to Memphis as soon as I graduate in May. So excited!

If any of you guys that are in the know about Memphis could hook me up with a real estate agent's info I will really appreciate it. I think I might want to buy after looking into apartmnets. Feel free to PM me. thanks

kdwuma said:
If any of you guys that are in the know about Memphis could hook me up with a real estate agent's info I will really appreciate it. I think I might want to buy after looking into apartmnets. Feel free to PM me. thanks

I'm about to PM you with my agent's info.....

Dixie06 said:
I'm about to PM you with my agent's info.....

Congrats again everybody! Hope y’all are starting to get excited about August! Im a native memphian, and Ive been seeing a lot of questions about housing, and Im especially bored right now, so im gonna try and write down everything I know about the housing situation in Memphis. From what Ive heard, most med students end up living in one of three areas - harbor town, midtown, or somewhere in the suburbs.

I think Harbor town is your best bet if your not from Memphis and don’t want to worry about ending up in an area that isn’t safe. It’s a little expensive like other people have said, but it really is like some kind of a resort and 5 min away from the school. I think there are 3 or 4 different apartment complexes, but theyre usually pretty full so if you want to live here get a deposit in pretty early.

Midtown is probably going to be less expensive than harbor town, and really is the best place to live in Memphis if you can get into the right area. I guess it kind of depends on the person, but some people that aren’t used to Memphis might find parts of midtown a little scary. Theres just an endless number of apartment complexes and houses for rent scattered throughout midtown, so youll probably have a lot to choose from. A good rule to go by is to stay between north parkway and central, east of cleveland, but west of east parkway. One exception to this that I can think of would be the cooper/young area which seems to be a really cool place to live as of late. I don’t think they have a lot of apartments, but a lot of people are buying the old houses in that area and remodeling them. The areas around Rhodes college and the U of Memphis also have a lot of student friendly housing.

Cordova, Bartlett, Collierville, and all the rest of the suburbs are all great places to live if you don’t mind having to drive for a while to get to school. Cordova expecially has a lot of apartment complexes along Germantown parkway that are really nice and don’t cost too much. Just remember when youre looking at one of these places that gas is probably going to cost like $10 a gallon in a couple years, so you’ve gotta add that to whatever your rent is going to be!

A lot of new apartments are being built in downtown, so it might be worth checking out if you don’t like any of these other areas. Downtown is kind of like midtown though, in that if youre not used to Memphis you might not feel safe living there. I know there are some really nice apartments along the south end of riverside drive and Uptown Sqaure on the north side of downtown that WhatupDoc was talking about is pretty affordable. The cool thing about living downtown is that you can walk to beale street and all of the other party spots, and you can ride the main street trolley to school if you want to!

There are a few apartments right around the school, like blair tower and adams place, that are pretty cheap, and the Bristol was just built a few years ago and is uber nice, but I think its also uber expensive.

That’s all I can think of right now, so I hope this helps, and if anybody wants to know anything else about living in Memphis, just let me know, and don’t forget to party like a rock star this summer!

thanks for all the info, jlatta. Man now I have to get busy finding a place to live. grrrr, I hate moving....

jlatta said:
Congrats again everybody! Hope y’all are starting to get excited about August! Im a native memphian, and Ive been seeing a lot of questions about housing, and Im especially bored right now, so im gonna try and write down everything I know about the housing situation in Memphis. From what Ive heard, most med students end up living in one of three areas - harbor town, midtown, or somewhere in the suburbs.

I think Harbor town is your best bet if your not from Memphis and don’t want to worry about ending up in an area that isn’t safe. It’s a little expensive like other people have said, but it really is like some kind of a resort and 5 min away from the school. I think there are 3 or 4 different apartment complexes, but theyre usually pretty full so if you want to live here get a deposit in pretty early.

Midtown is probably going to be less expensive than harbor town, and really is the best place to live in Memphis if you can get into the right area. I guess it kind of depends on the person, but some people that aren’t used to Memphis might find parts of midtown a little scary. Theres just an endless number of apartment complexes and houses for rent scattered throughout midtown, so youll probably have a lot to choose from. A good rule to go by is to stay between north parkway and central, east of cleveland, but west of east parkway. One exception to this that I can think of would be the cooper/young area which seems to be a really cool place to live as of late. I don’t think they have a lot of apartments, but a lot of people are buying the old houses in that area and remodeling them. The areas around Rhodes college and the U of Memphis also have a lot of student friendly housing.

Cordova, Bartlett, Collierville, and all the rest of the suburbs are all great places to live if you don’t mind having to drive for a while to get to school. Cordova expecially has a lot of apartment complexes along Germantown parkway that are really nice and don’t cost too much. Just remember when youre looking at one of these places that gas is probably going to cost like $10 a gallon in a couple years, so you’ve gotta add that to whatever your rent is going to be!

A lot of new apartments are being built in downtown, so it might be worth checking out if you don’t like any of these other areas. Downtown is kind of like midtown though, in that if youre not used to Memphis you might not feel safe living there. I know there are some really nice apartments along the south end of riverside drive and Uptown Sqaure on the north side of downtown that WhatupDoc was talking about is pretty affordable. The cool thing about living downtown is that you can walk to beale street and all of the other party spots, and you can ride the main street trolley to school if you want to!

There are a few apartments right around the school, like blair tower and adams place, that are pretty cheap, and the Bristol was just built a few years ago and is uber nice, but I think its also uber expensive.

That’s all I can think of right now, so I hope this helps, and if anybody wants to know anything else about living in Memphis, just let me know, and don’t forget to party like a rock star this summer!

Great post j :thumbup:

jlatta said:
don’t forget to party like a rock star this summer!

My sentiments exactly! I'm doing all my pre-matriculation partying in Memphis this summer.... although I'm not quite sure if much will change once school begins. Has anyone heard about orientation yet? My family travels a lot & needs to know the dates ASAP for the white coat ceremony. Y'all have a great day! I'm stuck inside finishing my thesis. :(

WhatUpDoc! said:
Great post j :thumbup:
Glad you liked it Doc, It took me a while to write that one!

Dixie06 said:
My sentiments exactly! I'm doing all my pre-matriculation partying in Memphis this summer.... although I'm not quite sure if much will change once school begins. Has anyone heard about orientation yet? My family travels a lot & needs to know the dates ASAP for the white coat ceremony. Y'all have a great day! I'm stuck inside finishing my thesis. :(
okay Dixie, this is just what ive heard, so i may be completely wrong, but i think the white coat thingie is usually on the friday of orientation week, which would be aug 18 for this year. Again, i may be lying to you, so you might want to call someone at the school to be sure!

Dixie06 said:
I'm stuck inside finishing my thesis. :(

Best of luck, Dixie. I just turned in my final copy today.

Man, Mondays have been productive for me lately.
Last Monday, I was accepted to UT and I set a defense date.
Today, I turned in my final draft of my thesis and mailed my enrollment deposit for UT (I'm official, whoo hoo!).
Next Monday I defend my thesis.
The Monday after that? World domination, and maybe a cure for cancer, if I get around to it before lunch. :D

Can't wait to get down there!

CaptainDave said:
Best of luck, Dixie. I just turned in my final copy today.

Man, Mondays have been productive for me lately.
Last Monday, I was accepted to UT and I set a defense date.
Today, I turned in my final draft of my thesis and mailed my enrollment deposit for UT (I'm official, whoo hoo!).
Next Monday I defend my thesis.
The Monday after that? World domination, and maybe a cure for cancer, if I get around to it before lunch. :D

Can't wait to get down there!

Congratulations! I'm turning (most of) mine in today. I don't defend until May 4th... what a great day that will be!

WhatUpDoc! said:
Hey, you ready for that wonderful take home final in Biochem? I think I'll be attending all three days of the AED study group :scared:
Doc, just as long as your going to be there, I think we'll be allright! Yeah, Ill definitely be at all three of em.

jlatta said:
Doc, just as long as your going to be there, I think we'll be allright! Yeah, Ill definitely be at all three of em.

Man, Dr. Vance reallly got technical with the whole "last 5 of your social" question assigning scheme :eek: Fortunately, I got two 0s in mine so I can try and pick the easier versions (if such a version exists) of two questions. Either way, she kind of complicates the whole group study ordeal :thumbdown:

jlatta said:
okay Dixie, this is just what ive heard, so i may be completely wrong, but i think the white coat thingie is usually on the friday of orientation week, which would be aug 18 for this year. Again, i may be lying to you, so you might want to call someone at the school to be sure!

The White Coat Ceremony should be on the Friday of orientation...at least ours was. Dianne Harris or Nelson Strother would be the one to ask for sure. If they do the same as they have in the past, they'll spend the week telling you how much they love you and Kathy Gibbs of SASS will try to scare the hell out of you by giving you her "study schedule". As a side note, just remember she is not and never has been a med student, so don't freak when she has a mock schedule of you studying every hour that you're not in class or not sleeping the 5 hours she allots every night.
The week ends with the ceremony and then the real work begins.

Congratulations

Thanks! It sounds like a fun week.... people telling me how much they love me 24/7. I can handle that!

anybody know when we should get financial aid information?

Hey future Memphians! (?)

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I sent my fafsa about a week late and was wondering if anyone had heard (or knew when we should expect to hear).

As far as housing goes, is anyone looking at living in the east memphis/ west germantown area? My g/f is coming to memphis with me and we thought we would live on the island until we did a driving tour a couple of weeks ago... that place is super-densely populated. I started to get claustrophobic looking around the place. I guess you can't beat the location, but Id rather drive a few extra minutes and have the extra breathing room. Any thoughts?

Goose-d said:

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I sent my fafsa in about a week late and was wondering if anyone had heard (or knew when we should expect to hear).

As far as housing goes, is anyone looking at living in the east memphis/ west germantown area? My g/f is coming to memphis with me and we thought we would live on the island until we did a driving tour a couple of weeks ago... that place is super-densely populated. I started to get claustrophobic looking around the place. I guess you can't beat the location, but Id rather drive a few extra minutes and have the extra breathing room. Any thoughts?

Hey Goose,

Welcome to the class :D I don't think anyone has gotten a definite on the fin. aid package date yet. I guess everybody will start posting as they receive them. All the website says is sometime in spring. As far as housing goes, jlatta made a good post earlier about a few places that you might want to check into... other than that, hopefully some M1's or M2's will find this thread and post their experiences with the housing scene. I also imagine that those of us who attend the roommate/housing weekend in June will be a little more knowledgeable then.

Goose-d said:

Has anyone gotten their financial aid package yet? I sent my fafsa in about a week late and was wondering if anyone had heard (or knew when we should expect to hear).

Welcome to our corner of the world, goose! You should definitely talk to some people who actually live in Germantown and commute during rush hour. Not to rain on your parade, but from what I hear from my Memphis friends, it can run you as much as 40+ minutes especially with the 240-40E exchange (to get downtown) down to 1 lane. If you don't want to live on the island, midtown may be an option to consider. Cooper-Young is a really fun area in midtown, lots of young professionals, fun/eclectic pubs & eateries, easy access to shopping/groceries (something that downtown lacks), and only 7-10 minutes or so from campus. I guess it just depends on how early you want to get up in the morning. And, as a disclaimer, this is all just my novice opinion.

Oh, as for Financial Aid, I haven't gotten anything in the mail and I submitted the 1st? of Feb.

Dixie06 said:
Welcome to our corner of the world, goose! You should definitely talk to some people who actually live in Germantown and commute during rush hour. Not to rain on your parade, but from what I hear from my Memphis friends, it can run you as much as 40+ minutes especially with the 240-40E exchange (to get downtown) down to 1 lane. If you don't want to live on the island, midtown may be an option to consider. Cooper-Young is a really fun area in midtown, lots of young professionals, fun/eclectic pubs & eateries, easy access to shopping/groceries (something that downtown lacks), and only 7-10 minutes or so from campus. I guess it just depends on how early you want to get up in the morning. And, as a disclaimer, this is all just my novice opinion.

Thanks for the heads up, Dixie. I'll check out Cooper-Young as well. It didn't seem that East Memphis was very far away, but I'd bet rush hour makes it a different story.

Who's planning on going to housing weekend?

it's looking more and more like I'll be going down. I won't have anything else to do (hopefully).

Goose-d said:
Who's planning on going to housing weekend?

I may depending on whether or not I decide to lock myself in at Uptown Square. My heart is kinda set on these apartments and there's a nifty 5% discount for St. Jude employees. But I'm still keeping my options open so in all likelihood I may attend just to do some early socializing with future classmates. :thumbup:

WhatUpDoc! said:
in all likelihood I may attend just to do some early socializing with future classmates. :thumbup:

Same here. I already have my housing set, but I will be moved in by then & I'd hate to miss an opportunity to meet people.

When ya'll applied for financial aid, did you just fill out the fafsa? I called the financial aid office and they told me that this was all I needed to do, which seems odd considering all the hoops that other schools make you jump through. I qualified as 'independent' for fafsa and wasn't required to submit my parents' info (the lady in f.a. told me not to)...

Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

Goose-d said:
When ya'll applied for financial aid, did you just fill out the fafsa? I called the financial aid office and they told me that this was all I needed to do, which seems odd considering all the hoops that other schools make you jump through. I qualified as 'independent' for fafsa and wasn't required to submit my parents' info (the lady in f.a. told me not to)...

Just making sure I wasn't missing something.

yep, just the fafsa. from what I understand, the financial aid office will take care of most everything else. it's pretty nice.