***UT Memphis Class Of 2010 Official Thread!!!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WhatUpDoc! said:
Nice :thumbup: A DVD RW Drive and 100GB of hard drive space for that price... I'm in shock :wow:

better yet go on the compusa site and you can select notebooks with 1g $500-1000 and you will have about 6 options, and as stated earlier sams club always has them for about 50-100 cheaper but thier selection is limited. hopefully i made up for all the people i sold overpriced laptops to back in the day. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone receive their financial aid info yet?

Hello everyone. I just learned about this website from a friend at work and I must say it is kind of nice to connect with people that I will be studying, hanging out, partying, and not sleeping with for the next couple of years. I hope everyone is enjoying their next couple of months because Aug 14th is when the magic starts. As for me, I just learned how to surf and I will be spending as much time as possible until July 13th (I am moving to Memphis on the 14th) in the water. Take care and lets all have a drink together on like the Saturday night before orientation begins. :laugh:

Hey, we are going to go through some pretty tough stuff the next couple of years only to emerge on the other end doing what we love. Kind of like how the military goes through boot camp. As for me, I really look forward to it.
I am from Memphis originally, but I left after high school to go the greatest undergrad school in the world, The Univ. of Georgia (that should be a fun weekend for all the UT grads and me). I now live in Los Angeles while doing clinical trials for Breast and Lung Cancer. I am really starting to miss the South and I can't wait to return.
Where is everyone else from and what do you do for fun/relaxing.
I can't wait to meet you all.

kjmtthws said:
Hey, we are going to go through some pretty tough stuff the next couple of years only to emerge on the other end doing what we love. Kind of like how the military goes through boot camp. As for me, I really look forward to it.
I am from Memphis originally, but I left after high school to go the greatest undergrad school in the world, The Univ. of Georgia (that should be a fun weekend for all the UT grads and me). I now live in Los Angeles while doing clinical trials for Breast and Lung Cancer. I am really starting to miss the South and I can't wait to return.
Where is everyone else from and what do you do for fun/relaxing.
I can't wait to meet you all.

welcome kjmtthws! i live in nashville, and i for one like to drink henny to relax or whatever is in my friends cooler :D

kjmtthws said:
Hello everyone. I just learned about this website from a friend at work and I must say it is kind of nice to connect with people that I will be studying, hanging out, partying, and not sleeping with for the next couple of years. I hope everyone is enjoying their next couple of months because Aug 14th is when the magic starts. As for me, I just learned how to surf and I will be spending as much time as possible until July 13th (I am moving to Memphis on the 14th) in the water. Take care and lets all have a drink together on like the Saturday night before orientation begins. :laugh:

Wow, so there will be 3 surfers in next years class. Maybe we can plan a surf trip for break.

surebreC said:
Wow, so there will be 3 surfers in next years class. Maybe we can plan a surf trip for break.

surfs up!!! :D

Hey, its me again. I've got questions about the housing situation in Memphis for all you people still in Western Tennessee. I've heard that Mud Island is the place to live now, can that be true. Also, the housing websites like rent.com and the memphis flyer definately leave something to be desired and I didn't know if there was a better way to research housing either on the internet or by realtor. I don't think I will be buying a place simply based on the fact that the added stress of being a homeowner is not something that I really want or need. But I don't mind renting something that is nice and quiet that is close to The Med/Methodist University (house/condo/apartment). Also, if anybody is looking for a roommate, let me know. I'm not saying that I am the cleanest or best roommate, but I will only party on probably saturday nights and for the most part and am pretty quiet and clean.

Members don't see this ad :)
kjmtthws said:
Hey, its me again. I've got questions about the housing situation in Memphis for all you people still in Western Tennessee. I've heard that Mud Island is the place to live now, can that be true. Also, the housing websites like rent.com and the memphis flyer definately leave something to be desired and I didn't know if there was a better way to research housing either on the internet or by realtor. I don't think I will be buying a place simply based on the fact that the added stress of being a homeowner is not something that I really want or need. But I don't mind renting something that is nice and quiet that is close to The Med/Methodist University (house/condo/apartment). Also, if anybody is looking for a roommate, let me know. I'm not saying that I am the cleanest or best roommate, but I will only party on probably saturday nights and for the most part and am pretty quiet and clean.

I just got back from Memphis on an apartment-finding trip. My brother and I ended up putting a deposit down at Riverset, which is the cheapest place on Mud Island. We're pretty excited about it. We wanted something in Midtown, but we found that the apartments around there are either way too expensive or are in a bad part of town, and it was just too hard to find a house to rent in two days. Our plans are to move down and scope out the scene and hopefully find a house to rent the second year.

Oh, and kjmtthws, you obviously got your facts mixed up, because I actually graduated from the finest undergrad school in the world, which is definitely the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Either way, I've got your number now. :laugh:

surebreC said:

oh, and I'm up for that, as long as we go someplace I can keep my head stuck under the water snorkeling while you fools are riding on top of it. :D

surebreC said:

i'm down.

On the general information for incoming students, it says that the incoming class list is "coming soon." Somewhere on there it says that they will release the list mid-May, but tomorrow is the first day of June and it hasn't been updated in over two weeks. Has anyone talked to Diane Harris about this or have any clue when they are going ot post the list? If anyone has any info, let me know.

CaptainDave said:
oh, and I'm up for that, as long as we go someplace I can keep my head stuck under the water snorkeling while you fools are riding on top of it. :D

I'll be there with you. Or maybe I'll just lay on the beach...

About that whole class list for 2010. In my experience with UT (god knows how much I love the school and the people) they are a little slow and always a couple of days/weeks behind. But I think that is why this forum is so great, it gives us all a chance to talk together and share some of the same questions/concerns/fears.
Lets not wait for UT to let us know who is in the class and our personalities and backgrounds. Lets do it ourselves, if you know anybody that plans on studying in Memphis and is not on this forum then tell them about it and lets get talkin'. I am so excited to start (possibly because I didn't get in my first time applying, and I have waited for quite a while) and can't wait to learn as much as possible.
Just think about it, there are people that live within 200 miles of Memphis that are going to come to The Med/the VA/Methodist University in the next couple of years. We are going to be the people that will be a small part of the team that takes care of them. It is a huge responsibility and mistakes will be made. That is why we owe it to ourselves as a class to be really close and to learn from each other.
Sorry if it sounds like I am on a soapbox but can't play it cool anymore, I am really ready and I am just so damn excited

P.S. how you like my logo

has anyone heard any news about the waitlist mvmt for this year at UT memphis..such as how many people have been taken off yet etc.. thanks!

kjmtthws said:
I am really ready and I am just so damn excited

My sentiments exactly :thumbup:

Just checkin in with everybody. I can't get down with you surfer folk. When it comes to water, I'm definately a flailer :oops: Count me in on the beach volleyball though :D Congrats on the apartment Cap'n. I gave Uptown Square a second look yesterday, and it must have been crackhead day because they were out and about all around the complex. So the search continues. Anybody meeting up for the housing weekend festivities tomorrow at TJ Mulligans?

jmm323 said:
has anyone heard any news about the waitlist mvmt for this year at UT memphis..such as how many people have been taken off yet etc.. thanks!

Hey, hang in there. I personally have not heard anything about the waitlist for this year, but I know that in past years they have taken quite a lot of people from the waitlist (like 70 or so people). Also, I have a pretty good friend that didn't hear about his acceptance from the waitlist until like 2 weeks before school started. He just started his 3 year at UT. I know that would kind of suck to wait that long but its better than not getting in at all.

So, its June 1st and UT still hasn't gotten on the ball about FA... So, I think we should all go to school on full scholarship... I mean, thats why Tenn has the lottery, right?

:confused: :confused:

As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I feel that everyone should know. The Fed announced that starting July 1, 2006 they are raising the prime interest rate from 6 to 8% (a 33% percent hike for those of you keeping score at home!!!). So for those of us that are planning on supplementing federal grants and loans with private bank money (which I am willing to bet is quite a few people) you should get your interest rate locked in by June 30th at the latest. Just though people should know before the g-men start gouging.

kjmtthws said:
As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, I feel that everyone should know. The Fed announced that starting July 1, 2006 they are raising the prime interest rate from 6 to 8% (a 33% percent hike for those of you keeping score at home!!!). So for those of us that are planning on supplementing federal grants and loans with private bank money (which I am willing to bet is quite a few people) you should get your interest rate locked in by June 30th at the latest. Just though people should know before the g-men start gouging.

Thanks for the info.

Isn't this even more reason for UT to give us our aid info? Anyone called recently?

Goose-d said:
Thanks for the info.

Isn't this even more reason for UT to give us our aid info? Anyone called recently?

I called on wednesday and asked when they would mailing the award letters and the only response was "soon". I just laughed and said thanks.

Called financial aid office this morning, and I got the same run around that ezmoney1 got last week, "soon"...

For those that went, how was the housing weekend?

Goose-d said:
Called financial aid office this morning, and I got the same run around that ezmoney1 got last week, "soon"...

I gave them a call this morning and tried to get past the "soon" comment. Didn't work. I also tried to go through Ms. Harris, but no one picked up the line in the admissions office.

SSchulenb said:
I gave them a call this morning and tried to get past the "soon" comment. Didn't work. I also tried to go through Ms. Harris, but no one picked up the line in the admissions office.

I spoke to Mrs Diane Harris yesterday and she told me that I should try to speak directly to a financial aid counselor NOT the receptionist person that answers the phone. I spoke to Cindy and she was able to give me my budget/award amount over the phone. According to Cindy, the actual award letters are hopefully going to go out in the next week . The main reason that we have not received our letters is because the financial aid office implemented a new system that is somewhat "buggy".

Nevertheless, if you would at least like to have an idea of what your financial aid package will look like call the financial aid office at 901-448-5568 and ask to speak to Cindy or another available counselor. Once you get that individual on the phone, just let them know that you are an M1 student and that you would like to know what your financial aid package is. This information will at least give you an idea of what type of budget you are working with.

Hope this helps :luck:

I got my FA package in the mail today. Its dated June 06, so I'm sure everyone will get them soon.

Dixie06 said:
I got my FA package in the mail today. Its dated June 06, so I'm sure everyone will get them soon.
Yay, I got mine too. Im sooooo exited about being 6 figures in debt. Weeeeeeeeee!

Goose-d said:

I was there and I had such a great time. Rest assured - we have some great people in our class!

kjmtthws said:
Hey guys, I was reading the paper this morning and ran across this article. The way that they paint the picture, it seems like there are going to be plenty of patients for everybody. And it looks like there is going to be plenty of job security for us all.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-doctors4jun04,0,1528090.story?coll=la-home-headlines

Yeah, the system is already overburdened as of now. Lord knows we got our work cut out for us as incoming physicians.

hey, whatsupDoc did the background check people have the courtesy to send you a copy of the report yet? that is the least they could do after stealing 50 bucks from poor students. i did mine about a month or so and have not heard anything

Okay, here is my big worry. Will the student loans cover a liver transplant. I am sure to need one after this summer is over. I actually woke up this morning and I promise; my liver hurt. Is that even possible. I hope everyone else is having a good time. I will be in Memphis July 20th, who is down for having a party then? I am serious as a myocardial infarction (I am such a medical dork).

Anyone know any way to check out apartments on the web? I will be a little pressed for time when I move to Memphis and will only have around 2 weeks before class starts to find a new Apartment.

surebreC said:
Anyone know any way to check out apartments on the web? I will be a little pressed for time when I move to Memphis and will only have around 2 weeks before class starts to find a new Apartment.

If you don't have much time to look around, somewhere on Mud Island or Blair Tower would probably be the best bets. Mud Island is where a large group of the class will probably be at and there is always a good group at blair tower which is across the street from leboneur and within walking distance of school. Take a look at www.forrent.com and some other sites to get some pictures and look for other members of the class on the hunt for a roommate. If you get down to a couple places, make another post and see if anyone has a response about the specific complexes

Anybody have any advice about choosing lenders for financial aid? I'm trying to read through all these benefits of each lender, and it pretty much seems like a wash. Is there any advantage to having your loan through the same bank as your bank account (i.e., First TN, AmSouth)?

I see where they ask for your utmem email address. Does anyone know this yet?

Sorry for all the questions - hope everyone's summer is going well.

kdwuma said:
hey, whatsupDoc did the background check people have the courtesy to send you a copy of the report yet? that is the least they could do after stealing 50 bucks from poor students. i did mine about a month or so and have not heard anything

I got an e-mail copy of the report the day after I submitted it. But nothing in the mail.

CaptainDave said:
Anybody have any advice about choosing lenders for financial aid? I'm trying to read through all these benefits of each lender, and it pretty much seems like a wash. Is there any advantage to having your loan through the same bank as your bank account (i.e., First TN, AmSouth)?

I see where they ask for your utmem email address. Does anyone know this yet?

Sorry for all the questions - hope everyone's summer is going well.

I went through MedLoans because I already have undergrad loans through their holder which is SallieMae. It makes it alot easier during repayment if you go with the same lender (also prevents the need for consolidation which is more of a hassle than it seems), but I'm not too sure about any advantages to choosing your financial institution as a lender. You may want to call your bank and see what they can offer (i.e. extra interest rate discounts, cashback bonuses...etc). As far as the e-mail address, I just put "N/A" because I don't think anyone has one yet, except for those people who went to UT undergrad.

WhatUpDoc! said:
I went through MedLoans because I already have undergrad loans through their holder which is SallieMae. It makes it alot easier during repayment if you go with the same lender (also prevents the need for consolidation which is more of a hassle than it seems), but I'm not too sure about any advantages to choosing your financial institution as a lender. You may want to call your bank and see what they can offer (i.e. extra interest rate discounts, cashback bonuses...etc). As far as the e-mail address, I just put "N/A" because I don't think anyone has one yet, except for those people who went to UT undergrad.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Also, I haven't seen the dollar total for tuition next year, has anyone else heard anything about it or are we still waiting on a budget to be passed? Third, and finally, is everyone taking out the full amount that we have been given loans for or what budget or other factors (other than general living expenses)are influencing taking a lesser amount?

SSchulenb said:
Anyone else have thoughts on this? Also, I haven't seen the dollar total for tuition next year, has anyone else heard anything about it or are we still waiting on a budget to be passed? Third, and finally, is everyone taking out the full amount that we have been given loans for or what budget or other factors (other than general living expenses)are influencing taking a lesser amount?

Check the financial aid website (www.utmem.edu/finaid). Under college specific information, it shows the general breakdown. I think our amounts this year may be a teensy bit different..but the general idea is the same.

surebreC said:

Try apartmentguide.com, there is about 200 memphis apartments on there

WhatUpDoc! said:
Wow... my name is taken :eek: I might have a long lost twin out there. This should be fun :cool:

FUN??? More like awesome!!!

Those of you expecting this to be awesome are in for a major disappoinment. Medschool isn't supposed to be fun.

Hows the housing search going for you guys? I have looked on Craig'slist a little and will look at the link posted in this thread (thanks).

Does anyone know if the medical fraternity is still functional? I remember it was last year when I was looking.