***UT Memphis Class Of 2010 Official Thread!!!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how many people were in the application pool this year?

Members don't see this ad.

emac said:
Does anyone know how many people were in the application pool this year?
I know 2005 application cycle the pool was around 1100 people, but I have heard that this cycle it increased by 10-15%. Are you going to be joining us next year?

any news on when we are getting the FA package??? It is crucial and may 15th is fast approaching. I hope this delay is not an indicator of things to come once we enroll! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
kdwuma said:
any news on when we are getting the FA package??? It is crucial and may 15th is fast approaching. I hope this delay is not an indicator of things to come once we enroll! :eek:

I feel ya! I've already decided on UT, but for those still weighing options, this is an important consideration.

I'll search for last year's thread and see if we can't find out when people got their fa package.

Talked with Diane Harris today... She said that there was some sort of mix-up in the FA office that was 'beyond their control' and that our FA packages would be coming out in 'mid-may.'

who-hoo!

CaptainDave said:
Best of luck, Dixie. I just turned in my final copy today.

Man, Mondays have been productive for me lately.
Last Monday, I was accepted to UT and I set a defense date.
Today, I turned in my final draft of my thesis and mailed my enrollment deposit for UT (I'm official, whoo hoo!).
Next Monday I defend my thesis.
The Monday after that? World domination, and maybe a cure for cancer, if I get around to it before lunch. :D

Can't wait to get down there!

How'd the defending go Cap'n? Did you knock em off their socks with your wisdom and prowess? :laugh: It must feel good to be done with it though... I'm taking the last final of my undergrad career tomorrow morning and the excitement is keeping me awake. Wow, this summer I've gotta take back the life school has stripped from me... only for it to be snatched away again in August, lookin forward to every second of it though :D

jlatta said:
Doc, just as long as your going to be there, I think we'll be allright! Yeah, Ill definitely be at all three of em.

Since I'm on an all-night-can't sleep because I'm almost done with undergrad-posting spree... figured I'd take the time to ask ya how'd the final finish up for ya. I'll probably be done with #2 in about 5 hours (guess that's the real reason why I'm up) and then its off to Kinkos for the lovely looking color copies. She's gotta give some points for presentation right!?!? Man, this was absolutely the WORST exam of my whole college career. What a way to go out right? :p

WhatUpDoc! said:
How'd the defending go Cap'n? Did you knock em off their socks with your wisdom and prowess? :laugh: It must feel good to be done with it though... I'm taking the last final of my undergrad career tomorrow morning and the excitement is keeping me awake. Wow, this summer I've gotta take back the life school has stripped from me... only for it to be snatched away again in August, lookin forward to every second of it though :D

I passed. Just gotta make some minor changes to my thesis and I'm out of here, whoo hoo! Then I am officially CaptainDave, M.S. I hear you about taking back your life, if only for a short while. I'm looking forward to this summer a lot. Good luck with your finals, hope you ace them. :thumbup: That goes for everyone!

WhatUpDoc! said:
Since I'm on an all-night-can't sleep because I'm almost done with undergrad-posting spree... figured I'd take the time to ask ya how'd the final finish up for ya. I'll probably be done with #2 in about 5 hours (guess that's the real reason why I'm up) and then its off to Kinkos for the lovely looking color copies. She's gotta give some points for presentation right!?!? Man, this was absolutely the WORST exam of my whole college career. What a way to go out right? :p
Sorry it took me till now to get back to ya Doc, but there's this little test that Ive been workin on! Yeah I was up all last night too. Definitely one of the worst experiences of my life, but it sure is a good feeling now that its over! If you hadnt come up with #3, I would have been in real big trouble. How many pages did yours come out to be, I think mine was like 27! If that test doesnt get you ready to party this summer, then nothin will. Yeah, ive got just 2 more finals, and then absolutely nothin but fun for 3 whole months! Awesome.

jlatta said:
Sorry it took me till now to get back to ya Doc, but there's this little test that Ive been workin on! Yeah I was up all last night too. Definitely one of the worst experiences of my life, but it sure is a good feeling now that its over! If you hadnt come up with #3, I would have been in real big trouble. How many pages did yours come out to be, I think mine was like 27! If that test doesnt get you ready to party this summer, then nothin will. Yeah, ive got just 2 more finals, and then absolutely nothin but fun for 3 whole months! Awesome.

Yeah, mine was like 30-somethin including all the diagrams and stuff. In-friggin-sane!!! :eek: Well that's behind us, figure I'll go into a coma for about a week to catch up for lost sleep. Just picked up my pronouncer card today... they're makin us wait till Thursday to pick up the cap and gown. Oh well, its better than paying for it :thumbup: See ya at the Fed Ex this Saturday :D

Members don't see this ad :)
kdwuma said:
who is going for the minority meetings on the 7& 8th of april?

I was there! I just joined SDN today so didn't say anything earlier. It was fun though.

welcome plain we are happy you could join us did any of you guys find a place that you will be living yet? I am torn since my financial aid will not come early enough for me to make that decision, I am afraid I might not join you guys, i am going to call some of the higher ups to see what can be done i really love to be in memphis but cash rules!

kdwuma said:
welcome plain we are happy you could join us did any of you guys find a place that you will be living yet? I am torn since my financial aid will not come early enough for me to make that decision, I am afraid I might not join you guys, i am going to call some of the higher ups to see what can be done i really love to be in memphis but cash rules!

let us know what happens!

plainolerichie said:
I was there! I just joined SDN today so didn't say anything earlier. It was fun though.

Hey there richie rich :D You're a fellow Biochem II survivor too ain't ya?!?! Welcome to the thread. Did you enjoy Beale street while we were there? That chick jumpin over the tables was crazy :laugh: Oh well, that's drunk folk for ya. How are things goin... you made UT your final decision right?

kdwuma said:

kd, don't give up on Memphis just yet. I'm pretty sure the financial aid folk can throw out an estimate at this point so you can make an informed decision. I hope it works out for ya :thumbup:

WhatUpDoc! said:
I may depending on whether or not I decide to lock myself in at Uptown Square. My heart is kinda set on these apartments and there's a nifty 5% discount for St. Jude employees. But I'm still keeping my options open so in all likelihood I may attend just to do some early socializing with future classmates. :thumbup:

I live in Uptown Square right now (I'm an M2...I mean, an M3!!!!! Sorry, just started rotations!) and love it! I have the 1 BR townhouse style, and it is sooo "homey." While the rent is higher than I paid in college, I have managed just fine on loan money. They also have nice multi-room units. Quite a few of my classmates live here, as well as several dental students, and optometry students.

Last year I lived downtown in Gayoso House, a block from Beale (convenient for post-exam partying!). I really liked my apartment, but my unit was on the second floor right over the street and was loud. My friends in other units never had the same problem, so I think it was just my place. Its a really cool old building. All of the downtown apartments are pretty cool. Some are really expensive, and some are not. If you like the "flat" style of apartment with your door opening to an interior hallway and a security guard watching the entrance, then most of the downtown apts are a great choice. South Main street also has loft-style apartments that are awesome!

The island is its own little world. I love to go run over there, and sometimes wish I lived there so I could walk to the little market and sip beer at the little pizza shop. The rent is high but if you are nervous about a new city, then its an excellent choice for at least your first year.

I am moving out to Midtown this summer because I need a roommate. (Third year can get a little lonely...and you don't need peace and quiet all the time) Midtown is wonderful, but you have to make sure to evaluate your surroundings because Memphis can vary block to block.

Out East.....I discourage it. Long commute, isolation from class events, etc. Also, East Memphis is not immune to crime either, which I think people seem to forget. Memphis is a great town, but you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times, just like in any city!

Sorry this is so long...I got on a roll! Congrats on your acceptances!

h2cooper said:
I live in Uptown Square right now (I'm an M2...I mean, an M3!!!!! Sorry, just started rotations!) and love it! I have the 1 BR townhouse style, and it is sooo "homey." While the rent is higher than I paid in college, I have managed just fine on loan money. They also have nice multi-room units. Quite a few of my classmates live here, as well as several dental students, and optometry students.

Last year I lived downtown in Gayoso House, a block from Beale (convenient for post-exam partying!). I really liked my apartment, but my unit was on the second floor right over the street and was loud. My friends in other units never had the same problem, so I think it was just my place. Its a really cool old building. All of the downtown apartments are pretty cool. Some are really expensive, and some are not. If you like the "flat" style of apartment with your door opening to an interior hallway and a security guard watching the entrance, then most of the downtown apts are a great choice. South Main street also has loft-style apartments that are awesome!

The island is its own little world. I love to go run over there, and sometimes wish I lived there so I could walk to the little market and sip beer at the little pizza shop. The rent is high but if you are nervous about a new city, then its an excellent choice for at least your first year.

I am moving out to Midtown this summer because I need a roommate. (Third year can get a little lonely...and you don't need peace and quiet all the time) Midtown is wonderful, but you have to make sure to evaluate your surroundings because Memphis can vary block to block.

Out East.....I discourage it. Long commute, isolation from class events, etc. Also, East Memphis is not immune to crime either, which I think people seem to forget. Memphis is a great town, but you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times, just like in any city!

Sorry this is so long...I got on a roll! Congrats on your acceptances!

Hey thanks for the words of wisdom about the housing scene :thumbup:

I noticed you mentioned Uptown Square and the Gayoso House, but do you know of any other complexes or possibilities off the island that are doable on loan money? The Bristol and Jefferson Square have been suggested to me, but so far those are the only four places I've heard of. If you had any suggestions or people to talk to, I would greatly appreciate it.

man, stuff just takes too long to get up here to East Tennessee. thanks for the heads up!

WhatUpDoc! said:
Anybody else receive the "new student orientation" letter yet? There's a link on the admissions website now also :thumbup: :D

got it! Finances are good woow!!! memphis here are come :D

Anyone else notice that the first day of orientation starts at 7:45 ?!?

WhatUpDoc! said:
Anybody else receive the "new student orientation" letter yet? There's a link on the admissions website now also :thumbup: :D

hey, what's the address of the admissions website? thanks!

kdwuma said:
got it! Finances are good woow!!! memphis here are come :D

Did they send out Fin Aid stuff yet? I'm really pressed to make a decision soon. I need to finalize my plans for med school. Should I call the Fin Aid office???

wowowowow101 said:
Did they send out Fin Aid stuff yet? I'm really pressed to make a decision soon. I need to finalize my plans for med school. Should I call the Fin Aid office???

they did not send out the official offers yet, but if you have an offer from another school ( scholarship ) you can contact the dean and kind of negotiate :D

WhatUpDoc! said:
Got the "background check" letter today... can you believe they're making us pay for it!!! I just submitted mine and they want $50 to process it :eek: Not cool :mad:

ouch!

WhatUpDoc! said:
Got the "background check" letter today... can you believe they're making us pay for it!!! I just submitted mine and they want $50 to process it :eek: Not cool :mad:

yep just forked mine over! :mad:

SSchulenb said:
I noticed you mentioned Uptown Square and the Gayoso House, but do you know of any other complexes or possibilities off the island that are doable on loan money? The Bristol and Jefferson Square have been suggested to me, but so far those are the only four places I've heard of. If you had any suggestions or people to talk to, I would greatly appreciate it.

Jefferson Place is near campus and totally affordable. I can't vouch personally for their quality, but a few of my friends live there and really like it.

The Bristol is a bit pricey for what you get, I think. It's also right on Union Ave and I feel like it would be noisy.

Another place some people have lived is on Central, right near where it branches off from Lamar. I think it's called Townhouse Apartments (but it's a tower.) I know they are affordable.

I looked at several places this year including a Rose-somthing behind Idlewild Presbyterian church on Union (across the road from the Schnuck's) that I really liked, but you pay a group utility bill and I'm a miser and knew that it would be not a good deal for me. Another place is Adams Tower on Dunlap (very close to school.)...Just remodled and quite nice! Same group utility bill thing, though.

Last but not least, pick up a copy of the Memphis Flyer and check out the rentals in there. Good deals often pop up.

PM me if you need more info!!

kdwuma said:
yep just forked mine over! :mad:

All students currently enrolled had to pay for one this year, too. I think it's a growing request from a lot of schools. Ugh.

Just got the housing weekend email. Looks like lots of free food and a good time. Too bad I have to work all weekend...

UT-Memphis College of Medicine Housing/Roommate Weekend June 2nd-4th, 2006
Friday June 2nd
7:00PM-Til-TJ Mulligans-Meet and greet with food provided-TJ Mulligan's is a local favorite located across from the Pyramid, where lots of medical students, dental students, and others from around town like to hang out.
Saturday June 3rd
10:00AM-Q & A in the General Education Building with upperclassmen about housing-We will have people who are house owners, house renters, apartment dwellers, Mud Islander's, Midtowner's etc., so that you can get feedback about the different locations as well as renting/buying
11:00AM-Housing/Apartment search with city tour -We will break up into groups and head to where you want to look-Midtown, Downtown, Mud Island, etc. Great places to think about for lunch are Gus's Fried Chicken, Neely's BBQ, Memphis Pizza Cafe, the BBQ shop (most are ~$5-$10)
5-7:00PM-Meet at Mud Island Park for Frisbee, and fun-For those of you who are done looking for the day, come join us at the park for frisbee and games or just to relax on the river.
8:00PM-Dinner at Downtown Huey’s-Huey's is a Memphis favorite with locations throughout the city. They have signature hamburgers, the biggest onion rings you've ever seen, and don't forget to shoot your toothpick into the ceiling! Prices range from $5-$15.
10:00PM-Silky O Sullivan’s on Beale Street-Come watch the dueling pianos inside or hang out with Silky's goats on the patio
Sunday, June 4th
10:00AM-Brunch provided in the General Education Building.
Noon-Festivities end-You’re free to enjoy the city, make some last minute stops at apartments, or just get out of town!

Sponsored by the Medical School Executive Council and The Admissions Department
P.S.-This does not include the student housing on campus, but rather the housing/apartment opportunities throughout the city where most medical students live.

Who is going to the apartment weekend thing?

Background check? We need a background check? I am out of the country, can anyone tell me if there is anything I need to turn in?

surebreC said:
Background check? We need a background check? I am out of the country, can anyone tell me if there is anything I need to turn in?

The background check needs to be submitted by July 1st.

h2cooper [or anyone else]--

any suggestions on a computer? i am currently computer-less (unless I'm at work or hijacking my fiance's). i might be able to buy my lil' sister's mac laptop (has a duo-core processor) since her school requires a pc, but I am a little hesistant.

any advice?

Goose-d said:
h2cooper [or anyone else]--

any suggestions on a computer? i am currently computer-less (unless I'm at work or hijacking my fiance's). i might be able to buy my lil' sister's mac laptop (has a duo-core processor) since her school requires a pc, but I am a little hesistant.

any advice?

I got a Dell inspiron laptop about 6 months ago and it gets the job done. It's a little sluggish (topping out at about 1.6 MHz), but the 512MB RAM and internal wireless card are nice to have when scanning for internet hotspots. I paid about $800 after rebates (which I kinda feel cheated about because you can get it for $600 now!). Whatever you decide on, the internal wireless internet card is a must and I would go for 1.6 - 2.0 MHZ on the processor speed. Oh and at least 256MB of RAM. :thumbup:

WhatUpDoc! said:
I got a Dell inspiron laptop about 6 months ago and it gets the job done. It's a little sluggish (topping out at about 1.6 MHz), but the 512MB RAM and internal wireless card are nice to have when scanning for internet hotspots. I paid about $800 after rebates (which I kinda feel cheated about because you can get it for $600 now!). Whatever you decide on, the internal wireless internet card is a must and I would go for 1.6 - 2.0 MHZ on the processor speed. Oh and at least 256MB of RAM. :thumbup:

Thanks!

in my former life i use to be a computer sales man, the first rule to narrow down your choices is this: If the laptop cost more than 1000 dollars you are most likely buying too much. The next rule is get one with 1gig of ram. Use these two rules and you can not go wrong. by the way sam's club has the best prices :thumbup:

kdwuma said:
in my former life i use to be a computer sales man, the first rule to narrow down your choices is this: If the laptop cost more than 1000 dollars you are most likely buying too much. The next rule is get one with 1gig of ram. Use these two rules and you can not go wrong. by the way sam's club has the best prices :thumbup:

Wow... I don't even have a gig of ram on my desktop :eek: It's gonna be tough to not break rule #1 while pursuing rule #2. :laugh:

WhatUpDoc! said:
Wow... I don't even have a gig of ram on my desktop :eek: It's gonna be tough to not break rule #1 while pursuing rule #2. :laugh:

i am tied up right now but give me 30 min and i will provide you with concrete info. the rules are easy to stick to

this is for you doc!
Presario v2582us Notebook
AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34 Processor, 1GB RAM, 100GB Hard Drive, 14-inch WXGA TFT Display, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows XP Professional , compusa!!! for $969.98 and it already has windows professional!

kdwuma said:
this is for you doc!
Presario v2582us Notebook
AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-34 Processor, 1GB RAM, 100GB Hard Drive, 14-inch WXGA TFT Display, 8X DVD+/-RW Drive, Windows XP Professional , compusa!!! for $969.98 and it already has windows professional!

Nice :thumbup: A DVD RW Drive and 100GB of hard drive space for that price... I'm in shock :wow: