UT Memphis for Fall 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
menemotxi said:
Dude, you're talking about my friend Maggie. Her family runs that place. She is very attractive and can drink most people under the table.

I think the place is "Rafe's" now, isn't it?

How do you know Maggie?...she looks a little young. Then again, I'm probably about 5 years older than you. The sandwiches are reason enough to visit the deli, but yeah, Maggie is cute enough for my wife to notice and make mention of it.

Anyway, I love that place. Do you know the parents very well? I'm all about the falafel. That's pretty funny that you know them.

Members don't see this ad.

So, menemotxi, if you're not going to come to school with us, maybe you'll atleast join us for dinner Saturday night?

Where are you working? Medtronic? How is it?

She's just a few years younger than me. I went to high school with her and her sister, and Maggie was always tagging along. I met her dad once, but I don't think he would remember me. She's a fun girl.

I might be able to make it to dinner with you guys. I might be able to drag along a friend or two who'll be in your class next year. I checked out the list for the class and realized that I know like 15 people that are in your class. Where are you guys gonna go?

I'm still at Medtronic, and I'll be here until October. I keep getting restless, but they've given me some interesting stuff to do after I complained about being bored.

When do you guys start class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Classes begin on the 16th. Orientation starts Monday.

Did Justin decide to got to UT? I saw his name on the matriculating students list and thought it was, perhaps, a mistake. Maybe he didn't like his financial aid offer...I can hardly believe that he would have turned down Hopkins.

edit: and we're going to Bosco's in Overton Square...the details should be mentioned on the previous page. I'm hoping to go, but there's apossibility I won't be able to...or I might show up late.

I haven't talked to Justin, but I talked to Indy the other day and he told me Justin turned down Hopkins for UT. I'd like to hear his reasons myself. I think Indy said that he wanted to stay in TN, but didn't really say much else about it. Doesn't make sense to me, but apparently he thought long and hard about it. Also that nutcase Indy is going for an MD/JD at Yale. Aren't you glad he's not gonna be messing up the curve? That kid's a frickin' genius.

Do you know who else got the scholarship after it got passed on?

menemotxi said:
Also that nutcase Indy is going for an MD/JD at Yale. Aren't you glad he's not gonna be messing up the curve? That kid's a frickin' genius.

:wow:

he was doing military too, wasn't he? I expect to hear great things from Col. Dr. Indy Wilkens Esq. M.D.

From what I understand, it was offered to every finalist...only four accepted: me, Paul, Steve Vu, and Justin. I'm pretty sure that Paul and Steve were planning on coming to UT whether they won the scholarship or not...for the most part, I was too.

Did Emory offer you a sweet deal, or did you just like it that much more?

Asclepius said:
Unfortunately, I dropped a 12 foot long 2x12 on my foot today and had to drill some holes in my toenail to relieve the blister forming underneath it. I probably won't be up for anything adventurous for some time. :(

I'm laughing at you, Asc, but only because I did the EXACT SAME THING to my toe a few weeks ago. It has yet to regain its original color. Maybe we can turn it into some gang initiation thing...

--Funkless

Irishrose, sunburn is much better. Thanks for asking.

I was so bored yesterday that I decided to go play paintball anyway and decided if I had a good time, I'd try again on Saturday. I'm in so much pain. There are 12 year olds that have probably spent more money on guns than I have on college. The worst part is you totally underestimate them, and then they shoot you 5 or 6 times in the back. Anyway, if anybody wants to golf later today or tomorrow, I don't know if I have the strength to hold a club up, but I'm up for trying.

Asclepius said:
:wow:

he was doing military too, wasn't he? I expect to hear great things from Col. Dr. Indy Wilkens Esq. M.D.

From what I understand, it was offered to every finalist...only four accepted: me, Paul, Steve Vu, and Justin. I'm pretty sure that Paul and Steve were planning on coming to UT whether they won the scholarship or not...for the most part, I was too.

Did Emory offer you a sweet deal, or did you just like it that much more?

Yeah, he is doing the military thing, so the money from UT didn't entice him much. I think he got in everywhere he applied accept Harvard. Indy was probably the strongest applicant I met during the whole process.

I thought Ashley and some of the other finalists were going to UT also (Sean maybe?). I was wondering if she was offered the deal too. I really thought more people woulda accepted that deal. That Dorothy Snider thing must be awesome too, congratulations.

Emory offered a nice deal, but nowhere near a free ride. They just waived off a lot of tuition for me. In the end I just liked it much better. I'm seriously considering an MBA/MD deal that Emory has. They also have a Medical Spanish program I wanna do. I'm hoping to do an intensive month in Mexico before I start next year. I also need to get out of Memphis for a while. I grew up here so I need a little change in scenery.

Funkless - what, with a 2x12? :laugh: This board weighed about 70 pounds, I'd wager. The toe finally stopped bleeding last night at about 9. I'm gonna lose the nail for sure. I had already scheduled a doc's appointment for yesterday, so I showed her the toe while I was in...she commended me on my nail drilling and said that there was nothing left for her to do. :D And my parents wanted to take me to the ER. :rolleyes:

vandypatty - the thought of playing paintball with a bad sunburn! :laugh: :eek: I was hoping it's better. I told you! There are some real painball dorks out there. They were in my youthgroup when I was a youth minister...one of the guys had spent well over 1 grand on a gun (well, his daddy did). One of the little jerks had a gillie suit - you know, the camouflage sniper suits with rags hanging off of them; they're impossible to see. He would lie down at the top of a shoulder high ravine, and wait for people to walk by and then shot them in the neck from a few inches away, leaving a huge whelp.

menemotxi - there's a list of the incoming class on UT's admissions website. I just noticed Justin's name when I was browsing it the other day. I ran into Diane in just after you had notified them of your decision. She said that Justin was on the fence, but they expected him to go to Hopkins...they were about to call the 15th finalist, who accepted the offer since then, apparently. It's possible I misunderstood Dianne, but I was pretty sure that it was offered to all the finalists. I suppose it's possible that some people have changed their minds, like Justin, since then.

I said "Steve Vu" earlier...it's "Tony Vu."

I didn't know Indy's numbers, but I knew he played baseball for Wake. He also had a good "presence", if you know what I mean. What else did he have up his sleeve?

Diane was really impressed with Paul...I was talking with her and Indy and she was just raving about him...of course, Indy and I really didn't know what to think.

The Dorothy Snider thing is really nice...I don't know where that came from. How did you know about the existence of that scholarship? I hadn't heard of it until I received the letter. ...did you receive it then turn it down when you opted for Emory?

Anyway, it's worth the cost to go where you'll be happy. Atlanta is a good town, my dad's family is from there. The Spanish program is an excellent idea, too...that will be marketable come residency time!

In the end, you gotta go to a place where you'll be happy. For me, my feelings about a place are rooted in the people and relationships I have there. UT seemed to have a very friendly environment, and I feel my choice is being vindicated by the few classmates I've met so far.

bleh...sorry if I'm getting mushy. I found out this morning that a good friend of mine died of cancer recently. She was my lab partner in a class or two, and we worked on an independent study/research project together last summer...she was an undergrad student planning on applying to med school while I was a graduate student and well on my way to getting in. I think she may have looked up to me a bit, but I was inspired by her intellectual curiosity and drive.

Gees! what's with the SDN essays I've been writing recently? :laugh:

Have plans been finalized for Saturday night?

Kickball?!?! Is there anything worse than kickball for a smashed toe? If you haven't already, class of 2008 students will receive a flyer about a kickball party Sunday afternoon. Sounds like it will be fun...assuming I'm the only one with a damaged toe.

Also, we can sign up for our UT e-mail accounts now. :D

I am sorry to hear about your friend Asclepius. Getting used to death is one thing that will not be easy about this venture, and it is always made worse when it is some one so young.

I don't know about you guys, but I think a friendly game of softball would be about 100x better than "KICKBALL". I am having terrible flashbacks of 5th grade dodgeball. Our kickball games were only a fraction less violent.

How do we sign up for the email accounts? I guess I will go check out the admission page.

Take care!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Asclepius said:
Kickball?!?! Is there anything worse than kickball for a smashed toe? Sounds like it will be fun...assuming I'm the only one with a damaged toe.

Haha, waterboy! (points and laughs)

If you had my foresight, you'd have smashed your toe a month ago. :p

Mine wasn't a 2x12. It was 3/4" plywood measuring about 6' by 4'. I'm not sure of the weight, but it fell guillotine-style across the ol' 2nd phalange of the left big boy. I hobbled into the kitchen and pulled the six pack of beer and a can of coke from the fridge and retreated, as we cro-magnons do, into the garage, where I held the cold can of coke on the toe while I proceeded to get blindingly drunk at 9:30 am. Called my wife to cancel our workout date, slurring and cursing like a pirate. Kept the nail. Good times. :thumbup:

--Funkless

P.S. Did you drill your toenail with a Dremel? That's what I would have used.

Dear Lord, please protect our future patients.

--Funkless

funkless said:
I hobbled into the kitchen and pulled the six pack of beer and a can of coke from the fridge and retreated, as we cro-magnons do, into the garage, where I held the cold can of coke on the toe while I proceeded to get blindingly drunk at 9:30 am. Called my wife to cancel our workout date, slurring and cursing like a pirate. Kept the nail. Good times. :thumbup:

--Funkless

funkless- I can't wait to meet you (I am not sure if we met back in April/ May (?))!!!! You crack me up!!!!

Sorry 'bout your toe by the way... Was it at least good beer?

I will be heading back from Nashville tomorrow. How many folks will be getting together tomorrow night? Did we decide on Bosco's? What time works for everyone?

Also- you all know I have been searching for a new cell phone/ new carrier (etc), well BIG TIP- if anyone else is looking, Amazon is offering excellent rebates on phones. After the rebates from Amazon ($150) & T Mobile ($50), I will end up making $100. Now I call that the power of the consumer. (Although, I keep feeling like this is almost too good to be true?!?!?) Anyhow- just in case anyone else is in the market.

Hope you Nashville folks are soaking up just about the most beautiful day we have ever had up here. It is unreal how wonderful it is outside!!!

Take care all!!!

So what's the deal for tomorrow night? Bosco's at 6:30? Count my wife and I in. Where exactly is this place? We just moved here so, I have no clue where anything is yet.

Matt

My wife and I are in as well. Is anyone taking care of calling Boscoe's with the number of people we are going to have? If not, everyone that is interested in going, drop me a PM and I'll give Boscoe's a call tomorrow with the numbers. Hope everyone can make it.

--Jason

Who all will be going to Bosco's tomorrow night? I was just wondering. What will the reservation be under?

It'll take either

a) a miracle
b) a major argument

to get my butt to Bosco's tomorrow. Mother in law hits town at approx 2:00. Wife gets home at 6:30. :eek: Plus, I have some local friends wanting to get some EtOH in my gullet before Monday. (They figure that they'll never see me after Mon, and that y'all will have me for the better part of the next four years, so they get dibs tomorrow.) Maybe we'll all hit Bosco's like a ton of 3/4" plywood, mother-in-law and all.

--Funkless

I doing the whole move-in thing tomorrow, and with my family in town, I don't think I'll be able to make it! See ya'll on Monday!

Ok...me and the Mrs. will be at Bosco's tomorrow night; we might show up a little late. I guess that's not "major argument" enough for you Funkles?

I didn't use a dremel...I used a hammer drill...the same hammer drill I had just been using to bore 1/2" holes in concrete to secure the 6x6's with bolts.

BKmedic - Bosco's is on madison in Overton square. It's a few block west of E. Parkway.

I would offer to call to make reservations, but I don;t know that they take them, and I'll be running a garage sale all day tomorrow.

HELP ME- HELP ME, PLEASE

Bad news folks! I need to find a trusty mechanic in Memphis! Looks like I will need to have my H2O pump replaced on my car. I can't really complain though, she has 140,000 miles with no major repairs. But, you just can't beat this for timing. No chance we could have found it last week when I did not have to go anywhere!!

Anyhow, I would love it if you all might be able to make some recommendations for service shops who do good honest work.

I am still planning on driving down today since the leak is not gushing (YET). Thanks everyone! Hope you all have a good day!

I forgot to mention my car is a '94 Mazda 626- 2 liter/ 4 cylinder.

Slight change in plans... I hate to say that I won't be able to make it down tonight for the meet and greet. I am going to have to head out early tomorrow morning and give myself plenty of daylight time in case my little car fails me, but you all have a ton of fun. I look forward to meeting everyone on Monday (bright & early, yugh)!!!

Have fun & take care!!!

Urgent. Must be brief.

Mother-in-law is driving me CRAZY. Asc, get over here STAT and bring booze. We're all out! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I may or may not make it to kickball tomorrow afternoon. Someone wants to see Graceland... :scared: :scared: :scared:

Love,

--Funkless

Irish Rose said:
trusty mechanic

oooo...nice oxymoron! :p

I inherited my mechanic from my dad...since we've used him for years, and he knows us really well, I stick with him. This place, the Firestone on the corner of Poplar and Highland, has been good to us, but I don't have much perspective since it's the only place I've used.

I hope the car made it to Nashville okay.

Irish Rose said:
HELP ME- HELP ME, PLEASE

Bad news folks! I need to find a trusty mechanic in Memphis! Looks like I will need to have my H2O pump replaced on my car.
I forgot to mention my car is a '94 Mazda 626- 2 liter/ 4 cylinder.

Irish, Baker Auto on Southern (901) 327-3584 is a great shop in the city. I grew up in Memphis and have recently moved backed to complete pre-req work for med-school and have experience with most every shop in the area that works on Toyota's. I know that your car is a Mazda, but I think that the guys at Baker work on them as well (and if they don't, I would trust their recommendation). The shop is located right by the University of Memphis and doesn't look like much, but they are very good people (especially Dallas, the owner). I'm not sure, but I would imagine replacing the water pump will be an expensive thing to do, I just finished off paying for a new air compressor.

Here is a map of the area:

http://www.smartpages.com/home/bakerautosvc3;jsessionid=45T2DTPUZV153QFI22BA4CQ?Mode=Map

Once you get to the area, the place is tough too miss, it's a one story blue building.

Good luck, hopefully I'll be joining you at UT in 2006.

Adam

Any word on scholarship invites yet?

hi! I'm wondering if there is anyone located in or near Memphis who may be interested in being a patient for my husband's dental exam, the SRTA, in April. We are really needing people to help us out! Anyone interested?

The exam is at the dental school and you will get treatment for free. (and its completely safe since there are several dentists checking work and all candidates have insurance) My husband is finished with his dental education and this is the final step in licensure.

If this seems unrelated, sorry, (I usually post about med school topics), but we are just very desperate for some people to help us. We live near Little Rock and are having a hard time locating people in Memphis. Thank you so much!!!! :)