UT Memphis for Fall 2004

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Vandypatty,

I agree. I think that Mud Island will be a great place to live, b/c it is just far enough away, to be away from everything and still be in the middle of everything.

Wolfpack,

Arbors gave a 5% discount to students with a 1-yr lease and proof of acceptance.

--Egghead

Members don't see this ad.

if anyone is interested in renting a house on Mud Island with me - lemme know. The house backs up to the Wolf River - 3 bedroom for $1500/mo...

Members don't see this ad :)
Asclepius said:
I'm looking at June 10...plan to have it completely written by then...if funk wouldn't keep me up all night in the chatroom.

funk...what? are you investing in a restaurant?

Don't blame me that you're an mIRC crackhead. You know you love it...

No, not investing in a restaurant; just responding to your comment that Backyard Burger's stock is a good deal. I was just saying that the thought of owning stock in a restaurant scares the crap outta me.

Hmmm today's June 7th, thesis done?

--Funkless

I've been reading these posts for a while, but this is the first one I've actually done myself. Well, I got my call at 10:10 AM CST asking if I'd like to join the class, and of course, I said yes. So see you all in August!!! :D

I just wanted to say congratulations to Ravaha08, Sewaneegrad and to everyone else that has recently been accepted! I can't wait to meet everyone in August. See you all soon.

--Egghead

Ravaha08,

I am so very happy for you. From our previous writings, I knew you stood a very good chance. Best wishes for a relaxing summer!!!!

Anyone know if UT has a nice workout facility? I'm most interested in free weights, but I guess others would have other interests.

Any nice gyms nearby if not on campus? I hear The Rush (pretty nice 24-hour place in Knoxville) is thinking about opening a facility in Memphis.

Just Found Out Who My Roomates Are Going To Be For Next Year. If You Are Living In Goodman Hall Next Year Drop Me A Line...we Might Be Suitemates.

I Work Out At The Rush Here In Knoxville...ill Ask About The Memphis Plans.

funkless said:
Don't blame me that you're an mIRC crackhead. You know you love it...

No, not investing in a restaurant; just responding to your comment that Backyard Burger's stock is a good deal. I was just saying that the thought of owning stock in a restaurant scares the crap outta me.

Hmmm today's June 7th, thesis done?

--Funkless

No, thesis isn't yet done...but I'm getting closer! I got to stay at the Peabody during the latter part of the week. It was fairly nice, but I haven't gotten as much work done as I would have liked. Anywho... notice that the class list is up?
http://www.utmem.edu/Medicine/Admissions/COM_2004_ENTERING_CLASS_LIST_61104.doc

The website says that we should check back for updates, so I'm assuming that this list isn't final...the waitlist will move some more, I'm sure.

My name is on the list! :) I must not have dreamed it all up!!! I still haven't received any mail from UT yet, but I am definitely in the class (they didn't call the wrong person ;) ). I can't wait to meet all of you. I know about 17 people on the list. Over half of those went to the same college as I did. How exciting!

Asclepius said:
No, thesis isn't yet done...but I'm getting closer! I got to stay at the Peabody during the latter part of the week. It was fairly nice, but I haven't gotten as much work done as I would have liked. Anywho... notice that the class list is up?
http://www.utmem.edu/Medicine/Admissions/COM_2004_ENTERING_CLASS_LIST_61104.doc

The website says that we should check back for updates, so I'm assuming that this list isn't final...the waitlist will move some more, I'm sure.

We almost stayed there on one of the last trips down. Even on Priceline/ Expedia, it was $$$$ (like $199/nt). I am jealous!! I really just wanted to see the duck parade!!

Best of luck finishing up!!

Has anyone else heard about getting in??

Take care!! :luck:

Congrats on that MCAT score freaker...I was just perusing the MCAT forums. You should be proud, man! I was a little confused, though...are you coming to UT this fall or applying this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my call this morning at around 10 am ... I was first alternate for out of state since the Dental program only accepts 8 people a year outside of TN and AR ...

But come august I'm officially a University of Tennessee College of Dentistry student ...

Hell Yeah ...

For anyone who got in off the waitlist, how long did it take for you to receive a packet from UT? I still have not received mine, and I am wondering if I should call. It has only been a week and a day since the call. I was told by my research supervisor, who is on the admission committee, that mail will be slow and UT will be slow getting it out because of Reagan's death. I also live in memphis so I should receive it the day after they mail it. What do you all think I should do? Should I call Diane Harris or email her tomorrow?

Congrats, CJ and ravaha!

CJ, cute dog by the way

Be patient on the packet...it took about two and a half weeks for mine to arrive. Congrats anyway...the hard part is over.

vandypatty said:
Be patient on the packet...it took about two and a half weeks for mine to arrive. Congrats anyway...the hard part is over.

Future Dr. Vandypatty,
I see you finally got your packet, but you are one pansy-mother and I'm still waiting for you to grow a sac. . . . . .

hope all is well in San Diego, Chicago, Nashville, etc. wherever you find yourself these days- tell the fella's I say hello.

-the Future Dr. Vandyfox

please give me love UT memphis, asc you'll put in a good word right? :smuggrin:

I received the packet today. Thanks, vandypatty for responding though. And thanks to everyone else too for the good thoughts and prayers. I am so excited to be in your class!!!

Cerbernator said:
please give me love UT memphis, asc you'll put in a good word right? :smuggrin:

Cerb...I'd love to Cerb, but I'll need to see an official transcript, a notorized copy of your MCAT scores and a personal statement...in English and two copies translated into a Romance language and a Classical, dead language (of your choice, of course). I would be remiss to commend you unassured of your scholastic abilities and "soft skills"...the name "Asclepius" pulls a lotta weight ya know (considering the Hippocratic oath is addressed to me) and I can't be passing out "good words" haphazardly. :smuggrin:

so here's the real deal:
"I decided to go to UT because people like him don't go here" - free of charge
"meh, I know him; he's okay" - $20
"I think he would fit in here pretty well" - $50
"He is just the sort of intelligent, compassionate person this and every school is searching for. I would be honored to have him as a fellow UT alumnus and future colleage...and I, moreover, would consider myself fortunate to be his patient" - $100
"

I emailed Dean Strother yesterday, and he wrote back saying that they have already pulled 44 people off the waitlist which is about the same number as this time last year. Just thought anyone still waiting would like to know. Many in the middle tier still have a chance.

so about 7 weeks until school.... shall we organize 1 more get together before the school year commences?

WolfpackRed said:
so about 7 weeks until school.... shall we organize 1 more get together before the school year commences?

atleast...EggHead will be here by the end of July...and funkless can show up if we have it on a Friday night this go around. Shall we wait until late July when more people have moved in...if we're just going to have one get-together. I'm not opposed to having more than one...especially since some people may have moved into houses by then...and my house may be fixed up.

Sounds like a plan to me...I'd love to get together for a beer of five before orientation starts. I'm hoping to be as much of a lazy bum as possible the week before orientation. I invite everyone to join me! See everyone in July.

well i'm in memphis - so i'm game whenever. always the thursday rooftop party at the peabody....

Asclepius said:
Cerb...I'd love to Cerb, but I'll need to see an official transcript, a notorized copy of your MCAT scores and a personal statement...in English and two copies translated into a Romance language and a Classical, dead language (of your choice, of course). I would be remiss to commend you unassured of your scholastic abilities and "soft skills"...the name "Asclepius" pulls a lotta weight ya know (considering the Hippocratic oath is addressed to me) and I can't be passing out "good words" haphazardly. :smuggrin:

so here's the real deal:
"I decided to go to UT because people like him don't go here" - free of charge
"meh, I know him; he's okay" - $20
"I think he would fit in here pretty well" - $50
"He is just the sort of intelligent, compassionate person this and every school is searching for. I would be honored to have him as a fellow UT alumnus and future colleage...and I, moreover, would consider myself fortunate to be his patient" - $100
"

What can i get fo fity cent?

Asclepius said:
atleast...EggHead will be here by the end of July...and funkless can show up if we have it on a Friday night this go around. Shall we wait until late July when more people have moved in...if we're just going to have one get-together. I'm not opposed to having more than one...especially since some people may have moved into houses by then...and my house may be fixed up.

loser, come to ktown where tha playas play and dem fine ass biatches be :hardy:

Knoxville is not that great during the summer. All the best looking folks are found at Cool Beans, rather than Barley's. Memphis is far superior.

menemotxi said:
Knoxville is not that great during the summer. All the best looking folks are found at Cool Beans, rather than Barley's. Memphis is far superior.

cool beans sucks, its all about Barleys, Preservation Pub, and Downtown Grill and Brewery!

menemotxi said:

I appreciate the sentiment, but considering your preferences regarding medical schools, I gotta question your taste. :smuggrin:

Anyway, Cerb, fitty cent won't get much from me...on the other hand, when you come to UT, you can head down to the Ricky Motel on Summer Avenue...your money will go a long way there. :p

Just to remind you...if any of you soon-to-be MS1's want to talk to get your finances in order, I can give you the name of a certified finiancial advisor (or is it analyst?) who helps UT Memphis medical students for free. Of course, he hopes that you'll build a relationship and continue with him as an MD...but in the meantime it can be a big help.

I am a graduate of UT Memphis.

Let me tell you, it is an amazing place to go to med school.

At first, I was disappointed that I didn't get into any of the bigger name schools that I applied to. I didn't want to move to Memphis (from Nashville) and I didn't want to have my degree from a state school.

The first two years are a bit rough, and pretty discouraging. The teaching generally is mediocere at best (there are a few notable exceptions, though). I can't comment on the new curriculum, that started right after I graduated.

However, once you get to the clinical years, it is truly an outstanding experience. I didn't fully appreciate it until I started residency elsewhere (at a rather prestegeous program in the Northeast). When I saw how little the students are allowed to do here, and how little I was even allowed to do as an intern (I really did more procedures like central lines and bronchoscopy as a student than I did as an intern). I was far ahead of my fellow interns when I started here (got great evals in my first couple months). Plus, you really learn to take responsibilty for your pts. The residents really rely on students to run many of the services. You won't be an extranous burden, you'll be a team member.

UT is very welcoming for all students of all years.

Those of you who are starting this summer, I recommend the following...

After you get your ID, go to the MED one evening (between 6pm and midnight on weekdays, 6p-6a fri or sat). Go in the trauma entrance. Ask the guard where the "green desk" is (this is a trauma assessment area. It's not acutally green). When you get there, tell one of the nurses that you are a new medical student and ask them to help you find the suture tech.

The suture tech is a medical student who has been hired to sew lacerations. This person will also act as your ally for all manner of cool things going on in the MED. They can, and will, teach you to suture (yes, even on your very first day of med school). Like ortho? They can hook you up with the ortho residents who will let you help splint or put in traction pins. Like neurosurg? You can very likely go to the OR and scrub a case. In fact, you can find opportunites to scrub any case as long as you don't take the place of a 3 or 4 th year student who is on a rotation there.

They usually hire 3 students a year. If you go on a regular basis and learn to suture independently, and have a min of 3.0 GPA, you could be a contender for the job if you want.

I don't think a private school is worth the extra money if you got in to UT. I landed several prestegous interveiws. Classmates of mine matched at Hopkins, U Mich, MGH, Duke.

As far as a job as a suture tech, do they hire first years at the beginning of the year or is it better to wait on something like that until the spring or the beginning of second year? Also, how feasible is it to actually have a job while in school your first few years? I can't imagine doing anything other than something like a suture tech and I'd assume the hours would be minimal, but I'm curious nonetheless. Thanks for all the info...this is the kind of stuff that really gets me excited for August.

I have a question for those of you going to UT-Memphis this fall. How did the scholarship process work for you? I've heard they do an interview for it or something along those lines. Is that pretty much the only way they give out scholarship to first years?

Geronimo said:
I have a question for those of you going to UT-Memphis this fall. How did the scholarship process work for you? I've heard they do an interview for it or something along those lines. Is that pretty much the only way they give out scholarship to first years?

From what I understand, there are 5 full-ride merit scholarships given per year. You are automatically considered for these scholarships when you apply. Fifteen people are invited back to UT for additional interviews. Invitations go out shortly after the deadline for submission of applications.

I was told that scholarship finalists were selected for their leadership potential...whatever that means :laugh:. Certainly, all the finalists have good grades and scores (but not necessarily out-of-the-park), but the admissions committee is more interested in the qualities communicated in a personal statement and interviews.

I don't know much about other scholarships... There are a few partial scholarships, and merit scholarship finalists who do not win one of the full-rides are usually offered one of these, but that may vary from year to year.

Good luck! PM me if you have more specific questions.

Thanks, that pretty much answers my questions. I've always heard you get more scholarship at private schools but since state schools are already discounted for residents, they pretty much even out.

Hey there everyone!

I can't BELIEVE how fast this time is passing. School will be here in a matter of minutes at this rate.

I am looking for suggestions on cell phone carriers/ plans for school.
I am currently w/ Sprint, but not all that happy & will definitely need to change plans to save money. The only thing that I will really need is the long distance included, but I figure almost all plans have that (?).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hope all are well. For all of you still crossing your fingers, I wish you the best!

Irish Rose said:
Hey there everyone!

I can't BELIEVE how fast this time is passing. School will be here in a matter of minutes at this rate.

I am looking for suggestions on cell phone carriers/ plans for school.
I am currently w/ Sprint, but not all that happy & will definitely need to change plans to save money. The only thing that I will really need is the long distance included, but I figure almost all plans have that (?).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hope all are well. For all of you still crossing your fingers, I wish you the best!

Damn you, thesis, damn you!!! Must cut...cut...can't say everything in time...

My wife and I have verizon here in Memphis...the reception is great...I never have a dead signal...free long distance, no roaming with my plan (but very few minutes).

there are some other good options...Cellular South has free local minutes, so they're a good option if you want to have just a cell phone. They might nail you on roaming and long distance, though. I think you can pay a few extra dollars a month for unlimeted long distance (or maybe it's x long distance minutes.

I have Verizon as well. It is great b/c of the unlimited Verizon-to-Verizon minutes. I'll be separated from my wife for the first few months of school, so that means we can talk all we want w/o worrying about the minutes or long-distance. I also agree that Verizon has the best national coverage around, however the choices of phones is pretty weak compared to AT&T or some other carriers.

Asclepius, "You can do it!" I've got one paper down and one to go before I am done! Find yourself a hole and dig in, it is never pretty at the end, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Just make sure it isn't a freight train! :D

Thanks to you both for the comments!

My suggestion.... take the biggest belt you can find, wrap it tightly beneath your chair & across your lap (without compromising circulation). Do not remove until thesis is completed!- JK!!!

Really- good luck- I am sure you will both do great! Just make sure you give yourself some time to relax!!

It's actually going well now. A guy got the cover of J. Bact. a few years ago for isolating these little "organelles" involved in the propulsion of cyanobacteria...I think I've taken the first images of these organelles in situ...you can actually see the little things right where they're supposed to be according to this model. Cool stuff. :D

All this writing makes me want to take up smoking...just to fit the stereotype of the anxious writer.

Now if I can just get some of these 200,000x TEM's cleared up digitally, I'll be okay! Anybody know a thing or two about digital enhancement of photographs? ...the sort of thing astronomers use to clean up images of deep space? :laugh:

Almost done! Almost done!

So, everybody turned in their insurance information, vaccination records, parking info, transcripts, financial aid info., etc? :scared: I guess we still have some time...

Are there any organized individuals who know precisely when everything is due? (glancing in Irish Rose's direction) :D

The only thing that designated a deadline was the vaccination form, which was the 4th of June. The other mandatory stuff just has to get down before registration. The new orientation guildline says they'll be more info mailed out sometime in mid July. Also, I talked with an M2 who said that when he went through it, there were tables and such set up for parking/insurance/etc. so it was somewhat of a waste of time b/c you were basically doing everything twice. Here's to hoping they've gotten more effecient since then.

Asclepius said:
Almost done! Almost done!

So, everybody turned in their insurance information, vaccination records, parking info, transcripts, financial aid info., etc? :scared: I guess we still have some time...

Are there any organized individuals who know precisely when everything is due? (glancing in Irish Rose's direction) :D

I don't have any vaccination records. None. I know that I've been vaccinated for everythingundersthesun at least three times, but I don't have *proof*. And what is this "insurance information" that you speak of? Haven't been insured since I was 18. (7 years ago.)

--Funkless

Hey all!!!

I have been trying to stay on top of the whole insurance thing, since I will have to have a short term policy to cover me since I will be leaving work in a week (whoopee!).

Here is the link to the UT Health Services page with the insurance info. Basically, as I understand it, if you want to keep another insurance program (like your spouse's) you have to send in the form proving that you are covered. If you don't have insurance and need to be covered through school, they will do that automatically during registration.

http://www.utmem.edu/univheal/health_insurance.html

Hope everyone will have a great 4th of July.

Also, I read a couple of really good books recently- thought I would recommend them:
"Body of Knowledge"-by Geigreich(?sp) about Gross Anatomy
& "When the Air Hits Your Brain- Tales of Neurosurgery"- by Vertosick, MD-
incredibly cool book written with a fab. sense of humor!!

Hellooooo everybody....

Are we all getting ready??? Too terrified to think what will be in store for the next 7 years (min.)?

I am in that place where I feel "happy" nervous/ giddy about the whole thing, but then I think it must be blissful ignorance, since if I had a true appreciation of what we're in for... well let's just say I might feel differently!

No, really, is everyone getting prepared? Asclepius, how did the thesis evolve? Are you all done???

When is everyone moving?

How are all of our waitlisters doing? It doesn't appear that the list has moved very much this year. All of you still waiting, don't give up hope, but be prepared to follow any advice UT outlined in your waitlist letter. I really think that is paramount to getting an acceptance next year. And believe me, if you work hard and keep trying it will most likely pay off!!

Take care everybody!!!

Ahhhhh! The movers are coming, the movers are coming! Not enough time and too much to do!

Regardless, I am also very excited about our upcoming adventure. I can't wait to start meeting everyone. I'll finally be in Memphis next Friday! I can't wait to get settled in. Hopefully, I'll have nothing to do the week before orientation. I can hopefully get some sun!

See y'all soon and good luck to everybody with moving and getting ready to go!